Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition announced...for Xbox One?!

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
threeheadedknight.png
1794yeg.png

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
This is so fucking agitating, it's basically history repeating itself again. The same thing happened with Deus Ex if you look back - made for PC first, then ported to PS2 after it's success, only to have the sequel cross developed for the PC and Xbox - I shouldn't need to remind anyone how that game turned out either. Which arguably influenced other big RPG franchises/developers to follow suite.

After all these years of traditional PCRPGs disappearing entirely, or being overly simplified due to a cross platform release, people like Fargo stand up and pretty much proclaim crowdfunding the only way to bring them back (if you go back to the first Kickstarter video, Fargo even outright mocks the current gaming industry) - and then for him to now cave and announce a console release is beyond hypocritical.

Maybe you like Wasteland 2 or maybe you don't, but what is worth noting is that The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter influenced a lot of PC devs to make a come back. It might not appear a big deal now, but he has basically reset the trend by porting to consoles - let's just hope no one else follows it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This is so fucking agitating, it's basically history repeating itself again. The same thing happened with Deus Ex if you look back - made for PC first, then ported to PS2 after it's success, only to have the sequel cross developed for the PC and Xbox - I shouldn't need to remind anyone how that game turned out either.

This is a poor example because Deus Ex was actually a good game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is so fucking agitating, it's basically history repeating itself again. The same thing happened with Deus Ex if you look back - made for PC first, then ported to PS2 after it's success, only to have the sequel cross developed for the PC and Xbox - I shouldn't need to remind anyone how that game turned out either. Which arguably influenced other big RPG franchises/developers to follow suite.

After all these years of traditional PCRPGs disappearing entirely, or being overly simplified due to a cross platform release, people like Fargo stand up and pretty much proclaim crowdfunding the only way to bring them back (if you go back to the first Kickstarter video, Fargo even outright mocks the current gaming industry) - and then for him to now cave and announce a console release is beyond hypocritical.

Maybe you like Wasteland 2 or maybe you don't, but what is worth noting is that The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter influenced a lot of PC devs to make a come back. It might not appear a big deal now, but he has basically reset the trend by porting to consoles - let's just hope no one else follows it.
LOL, this is bullshit. This won't start the trend because console peasants don't like turn based cRPGs and developing it for the consoles primarily wouldn't make a profit. Deus Ex migrated to consoles because it is a FPS-RPG which translates better to that platform.

People are butthurt because of console version and they can't see that it is not the console ports which are bad. They are actually a good way for the developer to get some quick buck. If the game is developed with a PC in mind, like with W2, then everythink is right in the world.

Darkzone

Arcane
Et tu, Colin? :(
In the future we will see the same sock puppet meltdown of Colin, like from Tim Schafer at the GDC 2015. This happens if you dive too deep into the sarkeesian shit.

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane

People are butthurt because of console version and they can't see that it is not the console ports which are bad. They are actually a good way for the developer to get some quick buck. If the game is developed with a PC in mind, like with W2, then everythink is right in the world.

People are butthurt because the consoles got an improved version straightaway with better graphics, balance, new voice overs, perks etc. While people who believed Fargo and actually made this game happen been made nothing but beta testers all along.

LOL, this is bullshit. This won't start the trend because console peasants don't like turn based cRPGs and developing it for the consoles primarily wouldn't make a profit. Deus Ex migrated to consoles because it is a FPS-RPG which translates better to that platform.

It doesn't matter because as sensuki's vid already proves even if profits are minimal, it still affects design decisions fucking over pc backers. like the idiiotic quarter turn camera.

Where is the codex interview about this subject. We know all the answers will be lies, but at least we will be able to point at those lies in the future when we have the facts to proclaim them as such.

PoE with fucking sawyer and his bullshit, Elite raped by MMO cash hungry braben, Star citizien the ultimate fukcing scam and THIS IS A PC GAME is already talking about the consoles. WL2, torment, Div original sin will have it's console announcement up soon too. Fucking shits the lot of them.

Cash rules everything around me, cream get da backers money, dolla dolla bill ya'll.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

People are butthurt because the consoles got an improved version straightaway with better graphics, balance, new voice overs, perks etc. While people who believed Fargo and actually made this game happen been made nothing but beta testers all along.
Who fucking cares what the consoles get? This is ridiculous. You are butthurt because the consoles get a good, improved game? I don't give a damn what the consoles get. All I see is that we got a good cRPG last year which we liked, and we get an improved edition now. You don't care about the game. You are a entitled little cunt who cares less about the game itself and more about which platform gets a game. Oh, I'm a PC gamer and I should get every game and consoles shouldn't get any, even if them getting a game has no effect on our PC game whatsoever.

Last edited:
Weasel

People are cynical because they've seen it before. First it's a console port for a game "developed with a pc in mind". Then, when the next game is made, the devs remember the hassles they had converting UIs etc to console and also bear the console port in mind when designing the game.

Sure, consoles don't seem to be as dominant in terms of sales for these sorts of games, so we can hope that things won't deteriorate to the extent they did the last time around. But it does seem like the promised balance patches that many are waiting for to play the PC version of WL2 (and D:OS I guess) have been delayed longer than expected, perhaps because they're a bit distracted with the console ports?

Which is funny given what Fargo said during the KS, that they were not doing a console release so as not to distract from the PC game:

Fargo during KS said:
Fargo has maintained that that $1.5 million mark would allow additional development of the game for both Mac and Linux. He added that no matter how much they receive though, there is no plan to bring Wasteland 2 to any console or handheld platform.

"It is imperative that we deliver the core PC experience that the fans are expecting here and I want to avoid any elements that could distract us," he said. "The console interface is quite different when you consider the input device and proximity to the screen

DeepOcean

Arcane
Nah, you people are overreacting... no way Fargo will make enough money with the consoles to keep him out of kickstarter, if he tries this funny thing of popamoling the gameplay of next InXile game for consoles, he will be BURN and HARD. I didn't enjoy Wasteland 2 but let's see if this GOTY version solves some of the problems, I'm skeptical but let's see...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

People are cynical because they've seen it before. First it's a console port for a game "developed with a pc in mind". Then, when the next game is made, the devs remember the hassles they had converting UIs etc to console and also bear the console port in mind when designing the game.

Sure, consoles don't seem to be as dominant in terms of sales for these sorts of games, so we can hope that things won't deteriorate to the extent they did the last time around. But it does seem like the promised balance patches that many are waiting for to play the PC version of WL2 (and D:OS I guess) have been delayed longer than expected, perhaps because they're a bit distracted with the console ports?

Which is funny given what Fargo said during the KS, that they were not doing a console release so as not to distract from the PC game:

Fargo during KS said:
Fargo has maintained that that $1.5 million mark would allow additional development of the game for both Mac and Linux. He added that no matter how much they receive though, there is no plan to bring Wasteland 2 to any console or handheld platform.

"It is imperative that we deliver the core PC experience that the fans are expecting here and I want to avoid any elements that could distract us," he said. "The console interface is quite different when you consider the input device and proximity to the screen
The console version didn't distract from the development of the game at all. The game was released and no work on the console version was done before it. We are talking about post release stuff here, and I don't think things said during the KS applies here.

Ramireza

Savant
Nah, you people are overreacting... no way Fargo will make enough money with the consoles to keep him out of kickstarter, if he tries this funny thing of popamoling the gameplay of next InXile game for consoles, he will be BURN and HARD. I didn't enjoy Wasteland 2 but let's see if this GOTY version solves some of the problems, I'm skeptical but let's see...

But why not? It would be nice to see the Wasteland World in 3D, imersion and stuff. Maybe they could create a FPS/Roundbased Targeting System? That would be awesome!

And in 10 Year we maybe get Wasteland 2 : EE after BD/Overhaul brought us Baldurs Gate III - Irenicus Revenge - and the real PST successor : Planescape Torment II : The Return - First Brain Part II

Good times..

Weasel
WTF, Sea wrote a post here addressing some concerns and now it's disappeared. Made an unauthorised promise, perhaps? :lol:

Turok

Erudite
If the product is ready and can be ported to other systems, i don't see why all the butthurt around here.

If they can milk more money from a finished product is good, i want see then rolling in money, i am sure they are not going to forget us PC gamers, i want see more PC games on the future like Divinity Original sin, Wasteland 2, PoE, etc.

They are working to get money not to make everyone happy, they are not santa clos.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
WTF, Sea wrote a post here addressing some concerns and now it's disappeared. Made an unauthorised promise, perhaps? :lol:
It was just a mirror of another post I made on our official forums; it didn't seem super important to post here, but I'm happy to post it again:

Just to answer a few questions that have come up in this thread:
  1. We have been hard at work making the most of Unity 5 and that goes beyond just a few new lighting and visual effects. Unity 5 has allowed us to significantly rework environment art and textures, things like foliage, etc. and put in higher resolution assets. The areas we've already overhauled are like night and day compared to the "old" versions.
  2. The console version won't be a rush job. We're making significant changes to the UI and controls to make sure the game plays as well as it can, taking advantage of those things that consoles do well while finding new solutions for the bits and pieces that don't map to gamepads perfectly. We are not treating that version of the game as an afterthought.
  3. We are not going to streamline the wasteland out of Wasteland 2 - it's still going to be the same core game no matter what platform you play. All platforms will benefit from the updates we're doing.

And to also clarify, since there is still some apparent confusion:
Brian Fargo said:
Of course, the #Wasteland2 GOTY improvements will be coming to PC as well. Details to come later....

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wasteland 2 had THREE people working on the interface.
No we didn't. There's 3 credited 2D artists, one of whom is the "young guy from Poland" mentioned in this interview. Those aren't the only people who worked on UI, and none of them (except Drozyner) worked only on UI.

Also don't forget about how many times that had to change it. You can find early development videos and interface there looks NOTHING like in the release version.
This is more often the case than not for any video game project. Most just use functional-only UIs in the period where we started showing the game, but it's pretty standard to iterate heavily on functionality and look. The consumer just doesn't usually get to see it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
And to also clarify, since there is still some apparent confusion:
Brian Fargo said:
Of course, the #Wasteland2 GOTY improvements will be coming to PC as well. Details to come later....

That doesn't sound like a free upgrade......?

I think Fargo is just fucking around. He is probably preparing to make a big announcement or some shit.

Or at least I hope so cause personally I will not pay one more cent on it after spending 100$+ on this game and not receiving the fucking box.

This is one dick move that would trigger my rage mode.

Also the latest posts from sea and BN are more and more like PR crap. I think a codex interview is badly needed in this case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom