Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's abandon Xenonauts on page 5

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Sign me up for whatever is needed.

eklektyk

Erudite
well ...this worhtless alotment of human scum aka codex crew needs a commissar to keep them focused on things that matter.

i suppose i can do thet for Codexia!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
(It's a bit late, so LARP wil be minimal in this updatan)

BRIEFING TIME

Y59qJOj.jpg

Gentlemen. It is that time again. The unwashed hordes are at the gates. ITZ is upon us. We do not know where these foul foreigners come from, but we will not allow them to claim our clay! I am invoking the B-HURT protocol on UN authority.

X6UxSai.jpg

The optimal place to locate our first base is in the middle east. It covers the largest number of fundamentalist funding regions. Our first strike against the foreign despots will be from the stronghold of the Incoming Spaceships Interdiction Section (I.S.I.S.)
A secondary operation will be set up to cover kwanzania. This leaves asia at the mercy of the aliens, but we can only afford so many bases.

yRbvvxA.jpg

For lack of naming suggestions, our interceptors carry the callsigns "Choice" and "Consequence"...

afNaQJ3.jpg

And all the codexians pile up in the Shoutbox.

1rrfhPW.jpg

The facility the UN has given us are woefully inadequate. They've offered DLC for I.S.I.S. which we've reluctantly purchased on day 1. Namely a medbay, an additional hangar, an additional workshop, an additional lab, spare living quarters and a second radar to increase coverage to most of Europe.

PGwD8zb.jpg

kLoUM9s.jpg

xIwPmo5.jpg

7HYr45B.jpg

Iclz8oJ.jpg

XufMW4A.jpg

vGQYJn2.jpg

NWFeejA.jpg

0qxVHHe.jpg

jO4paLf.jpg
After some thought, I've decided to forego rockets for now. While they're 100% certified [A]wesome, they have an unfortunate tendency to ruin our loot. Until we have a stable economy going, rockets will have to wait. for starters, everyone has been given on eof the following roles:
Shotgun Murderfrau: Given to the BROs with highest TUs. Their job is to storm in once aliens are suppressed and do quicktime execution moves with shotguns. they are high priority for armor. they carry a medkit for now, but it'll be the first thing to go if they get encumbered.
Shieldmaiden: Our scouts/meatshields. Armed with a pistol, a shield and an assortment of grenades. They will be responsible for stunning aliens during breaching ops. they've been selected for high HP. Unfortunately, they're also godawful slow.
Flintlock Master: this role is crafted specifically for Luzur, who brought his vintage precision rifle with him to the barracks.
Xtreme Firepower Bro: For when only the heaviest of firepower is enough. Currently held by Roxor with his heavy machine gun.
Riflebro: for the jack of all trades roles. Once we begin wearing armor, riflebros will double as medics.

3IN315i.jpg

Less than an hour after we turn on the radar, 3 different UFOs appear. Choice&consequence scrable as a unit. A gambling man may have sent them out solo, but we don't know the capabilities of these aliens.

8GUQTxf.jpg

Aaand our pilots fail miserably. The UFO is too fast. After chasing it over half of europe, the aircraft are bingo fuel and forced to return home.

hIQ4NCQ.png

It's a gruelling 4 hours while the UFOs zigzag over Europe, uncontested and laughing at us. :x

83aQgYN.jpg

2 of them escape, but the last one hangs around just a few minutes too long. Our refueled interceptors reach it and are ordered to open fire!

jKOjanp.png

The air combat screen, for those who ar eunfamiliar with Xnauts. It's real time with pause (Nooooo....) but quite good (heresy!)
We are 2 on 1, and the light scout is pretty weak. The interceptors are ordered to split up. whichever aircraft the UFO doesn't chase will turn around and tail it. Furthermore, sidewinders are ordered to hold. Light UFOs can dodge left/right, so we're not going to fire them unless we can approach from the side or are close enough that they'll hit before it dodges.

CqQJVRB.png

Consequence is lined up for a near-perfect attack run while Choice baits.

DBsMw0R.png

FIRE ZE MIZZILES!

ylvF0cD.jpg

One short explosion later and the UFO crash lands somewhere in a lightly settled area. We're given the option of clearing the area with Kwan drone strikes. But this would deny us valuable loot researchable artifacts. So the Shoutbox is scrambled to clear the area on foot.

3OUKimA.jpg

The area looks awfully temparate compared to on the world map.
:codexisfor:
It's one of the new maps from skitso's map pack. I'm not sure why it's giving us temparate here instead of desert.. Must've been on a green pixel on the map.
The shieldmaidens have the unenviable task of going in front of everyone else. They're the ones most likely to get shot at.

tePaIEY.jpg

Sure enough, Profeshinal spots an emissary from the reptilian overlords. Luzur has a clean shot at the Xeno and opens fire!
First blood! But not first kill. (Boo). The bullet his the xeno square in the chest, but it is incredibly resilient.

pDgc8gT.jpg

The Krew can't safely disembark while the alien might get reaction shots in. Roxor hoses the area with HMG fire. None of his shots hit, but he manages to suppress Profeshinal and the Alien both.

dGI5etF.jpg

The rest of the Krew fail miserably at shooting the alien. But the high amount of suppression keeps it from doing anything on its turn. The next turn, Luzur lands another solid it, re-suppressing the alien. That is the opening Scrooge needs to close the distance and deliver shotgun death from up close! Kodex: 1, foreigners with weird skin colors: 0!

K8D6w2G.jpg

The ufo is found crashed on the other side of the road. Unfortunately for my planning, the shieldmaidens are unable to climb over the guardrails and must take the long way around. Another alien is spotted a bit further back.

Y4LEFgp.jpg

Roxor fires another burst, but only succeeds in suppressing Cpl. Zdzisiu. :x

8X1TvPg.jpg

Thankfully, the alien is as bad a shot as our Potato friend. If at all possible, Lizards should be engaged at long range where they will have a hard time hitting you. Up close they become way more deadly as they gleefully soak up your shots and shoot back at your squishy humans.

FFbcZhF.jpg

voS26tN.jpg

Ym4a9pV.jpg

vgl74YC.jpg

Pretty much everyone gets a shot at return fire. The lizard soaks up an obscene amount of damage. The killing blow goes to Cpl. 4249. There is no such thing as team effort here. :salute:

VbC3EUE.jpg

....Oh. So these things are their non-combatants. And they take 4-5 shots each. We may have to reconsider our stance on not bringing rockets along. :M

aVzG387.jpg

During the aliens turn, a lizard darts from the UFO. Reaction fire misses it.

9P8IzTD.jpg

With a roar of "KURWA!", Roxor empties his ammunition belt and turns the lizard into swiss cheese.

jfX4fRQ.jpg

The last alien breaks cover. but this time we've moved closer and reaction fire doesn't miss. Zdzisiu manages 2 quick bursts of shotgun fire and the last Xeno falls. :salute:

wfkcv3D.png

Everyone byt Profreshinal level up. :incline:
Azira seems to be the one harvesting most upgrades, even though Luzur was by far the best shooter on this mission.

During the lull after our first ground strike, our enginseers commune with the machine spirit and glean much sciencemajiks from the alien autopsies.
qs8gGhj.jpg

Y395PI6.jpg

i4ZQE2d.png

LE34HHB.jpg

lVLla4z.jpg

N9Eu6u6.png

7SFntBA.png

Next research topic is set to be High-Speed Interceptor so we can catch up with these thrice-damned saucers.

profreshinal

Arcane
Furthermore, sidewinders are ordered to hold. Light UFOs can dodge left/right, so we're not going to fire them unless we can approach from the side or are close enough that they'll hit before it dodges.

You can still take them out from the front with rockets if you fire the first one and let it dodge then fire the second nuke during the dodge so your second nuke can hit while the barrel roll is still on cooldown.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Furthermore, sidewinders are ordered to hold. Light UFOs can dodge left/right, so we're not going to fire them unless we can approach from the side or are close enough that they'll hit before it dodges.

You can still take them out from the front with rockets if you fire the first one and let it dodge then fire the second nuke during the dodge so your second nuke can hit while the barrel roll is still on cooldown.
I know. But then you waste one. It's better to try for a side approach and launch both at close range. Anyway, 2 condors vs 1 light scout is overkill. There wasn't really ned for more than the bait and minigun.

Did someone say modding!?

This was from the beta LP of Xnauts:
VRZMYad.jpg

I was very tempted to try out some balance mods. But I decided to just stick with Community Edition, maps and a few graphic tweaks for this game.

Expect an update sometime late tonight. :salute:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That mod and maybe Magnum + other that give some variety to first weapons. Ye, m16 suxxx.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm sure some enterprising codexer will start a separate Xenonauts LP to showcase all their favourite mods. *hint* *hint*

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Men, we've run into some slight technical difficulties. When the aliens kill a xenonaut, it hangs and never finishes its turn. I'm trawling the forums for bug info. Worst case scenario I'll have to do a clean reinstall of xnauts and reboot the LP. We're not that far in anyway.

[edit]
Yeah, I think some fragments from mods during beta are messing things up. I nuked everything and reinstalled. I'll roll up to just after our first ground mission, then resume the LP. People may experience some genderbending. I'll still give everyone the same roles they had. IE: Shotguns to Scrooge and Zdzisiu on the soldiers with most TU, Roxor gets a HMG and highest STR, Luzur gets sniper rifle and highest ACC, 4249 and Profreshinal both get shields and highest HP of what's left. And everyone else gets riflebro.

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister
Loving this. Give us more as soon as the glitches are ironed out, commander!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
7putAfP.png
Right. That's the glitches ironed out. Caveat emptor: Make sure your Xenonauts CE is .32RC3 or you'll have crashes like no other. Since I spent all evening trying to fix the crashes, it'll be another short update.
We had to restart. Same research and stuffies. same xenonauts. One mission. It was Greys instead of lizardmen. Mission summary below.

nMKSu13.png

gMH3VsE.jpg

sYkQGk9.jpg

moVQOF1.jpg

qeU3Isg.png
STOP DANSKJÄVEL! You are only two updates in, and already you're turning boring and predictable.
7putAfP.png
Pah! As if a swede could do better. Fine. You're in charge of the next mission. Here's the commander's monocle. Impress me.

2BcbSRi.png
Excellent! Everyone, come over here! We're breaking out the weapons for true codexians! ROCKETS FOR EVERYONE!
7putAfP.png
....this was a mistake, wasn't it?
2BcbSRi.png
Too late to stop the incline!

s3EmSXW.jpg

1E7FFda.jpg

FIJjKuC.jpg

aT2Hi16.png
ANDHAIRAHU AKRK!
T4X7s7E.jpg

pYCvviJ.jpg

kELMn9S.jpg

YM5zxI1.jpg

IrNyRQL.jpg

MnDfPYh.png
KURWA VODKABAR! :outrage:
N2IXw9h.jpg

HiwQee2.jpg

hfaXaKA.jpg

uuZ4IKe.png
:rage:
v5Uj3Lh.jpg

vUj2LJE.jpg

gt5Gqqy.png
WIR MÜSSEN DIE E.T. AUSZUROTTEN!
ET1CUah.jpg

7R2ZN7t.jpg

NjsgqOL.png
PØLSE FOR THE PØLSE THRONE!
86ga8CG.jpg

NjsgqOL.png
I WANTED THE BEST LEVELUP RESUUUULTS!!!!!! :negative:
Mo65cVG.jpg

gt5Gqqy.png
BAVARIA UBER ALLES!

vx4bYpA.png

2BcbSRi.png
Well. I think that went about as well as anyone could hope for!
7putAfP.png
2BcbSRi.png
No need to thank me.
7putAfP.png
What the hell is wrong with you!? 2 people dead on what should've been a milk run! Half of the countryside in flames! No salvage from the UFO! You're demoted back to corporal!
qeU3Isg.png
DANSKJÄVLAR!

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In any case, i volunteer to allahu-akbar xenoscum. Or murder them with batons.
Just like last time. It'll be fun!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Let me guess Roxor. If you were in charge everyone would be carrying HMGs?

(The Andhairahu Akbörk™ update was actually meant to come a bit further down the line. Once we had a rocket tank and better rockets. But with all the crashing problems CE 0.32 RC1 had, I needed a quick filler episode to have any kind of update ready).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:salute:

I'll note down "Shotgun Hussars" as an option the next time I'm short on time and need to do a 1-mission update.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom