Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Other than making the sequel semi-open-world with side quests and NPC interactions a la Butcher Bay, I don't know how they can make the gameplay refreshing again without adding guns and space murines.

The hide-and-seek gameplay gets really boring near the end of A:I. So boring in fact that I have no intention to revisit the game, despite me really loving the game and always wanting to revisit it to appreciate the scenery.

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game is addictive as fuck, and this is coming from someone who doesn't play survival horror games at all. What I don't really like about this game is the plot/writing. I don't understand why the people with whom you don't ally yourself along the game are such retards. Do they let just any mouth-breather in a spaceship in the future? Why wouldn't every single last one of the crew's survivors gather up and form a sealed base? Like someone else before me said, they could have easily used a Walking Dead-type scenario.

What I hope they'll do for the sequel is have the game take place at least partly on a hospitable planet, with indoor/outdoor locations, and Mirror's Edge-type interactivity with the environment. Come to think of it, part of the first film/game's charm is the fact that most of the levels give a slightly claustrophobic feeling, so I don't know if outdoors would be that good of an idea for keeping the vibe more akin to Alien and not Aliens.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The game is addictive as fuck, and this is coming from someone who doesn't play survival horror games at all. What I don't really like about this game is the plot/writing. I don't understand why the people with whom you don't ally yourself along the game are such retards. Do they let just any mouth-breather in a spaceship in the future? Why wouldn't every single last one of the crew's survivors gather up and form a sealed base? Like someone else before me said, they could have easily used a Walking Dead-type scenario.

What I hope they'll do for the sequel is have the game take place at least partly on a hospitable planet, with indoor/outdoor locations, and Mirror's Edge-type interactivity with the environment. Come to think of it, part of the first film/game's charm is the fact that most of the levels give a slightly claustrophobic feeling, so I don't know if outdoors would be that good of an idea for keeping the vibe more akin to Alien and not Aliens.

If it's outdoors it should be bleak like this:

Aliens_SFAM_screenshot_1_HD.jpg

Being exposed should be equally if not more terrifying.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Aliens_SFAM_screenshot_1_HD.jpg

Being exposed should be equally if not more terrifying.

Damn, guess I was wrong. That'd work well.

The game also has some serious pacing issues, but I guess I'm not preaching anything new by typing this. Still, hope they'll tweak that up in the sequel as well.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Don't be such a newfag. Read the damn journal entries and you'll see why people are fighting each other.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I'm desperate to buy this game but I want a complete package, all I want to know is: will they release more DLCs or is the content already finished? Will there be a GOTY edition with improved stuff and all DLCs inside, or I'm safe getting the present stuff?

They have all the DLC pre-planned, but I think they have yet to release one or two DLC packages.

Unfortunately, except for the first DLC it has all been new Survivor maps and iterations on Survivor gameplay, adding absolutely nothing new in terms of story or character development. Yes, they added that new Nightmare mode, but keep in mind that they HAVE YET TO RELEASE A PATCH TO ADDRESS THE NUMEROUS PROBLEMS THE GAME FACES.

That's right, the version of the game you will play today is the SAME ONE they released last October. However, various sources are claiming that not only is the patch due 'soon', but that it will add multiplayer support - which would be the first real addition to the game since release.

So wait for a patch, at the very least.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Think it's kinda funny if this game will be considered canon, because in that case Ellen Ripley would be dethroned as the ultimate Sci-Fi bad-ass alien-killer. Her daughter would easily take that place with the amount of shit she went through in Isolation.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Look at it this way: Do you see ANYONE considering Aliens: Colonial Marines to be canon?

No?

Didn't think so.

For all the good this game is doing, it's not changing the status quo.

When it comes to the ultimate xenomorph ass-kicker of all time, Ellen Ripley is numero uno.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Aliens: Colonial Marines was shunned as a game :)

Edit:

And from what I can remember you are not actually that bad-ass.
Picking of aliens with your pulse rifle from a safe distance is not really the same stuff Ellen and her daughter went through

Edit 2:

According to Wiki Aliens: Colonial Marines is considered being part of the canon.
But yeah, shooting stuff lucks out to being forced to scavenge and sneak around for hours on end :P

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Let me put it this way:

I can understand now how various directors/producers/scriptwriters/hacks/nobodies/Dan Abnetts/like-I-said-nobodies/people can say that the Alien franchise got into dire straits from a creative perspective. Cameron upped the ante in a manner that left very few avenues open for the franchise to go into afterwards.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
True. In the late 80s/early 90s the tech simply didn't exist to portray a full-scale human/xeno war properly. Hence the development hell that Alien 3 went through.

With today's tech? Perfectly possible, yet everyone with half a brain keeps their cheeks firmly pressed together.

Even when Blomkamp has come forth and said "I've got the license now, bitches! Bring it on!"

Blomkamp, Weaver AND Biehn, now all (back) together, are still facing an uphill battle. Even getting Lance Henriksen onboard (which shouldn't be a big problem) won't be enough. Odds will still be against them.

But that's film-talk in a thread about game-talk. Move along.

Well i actually agree Robocop would arrest Riddick... but he would escape from prison later so... Riddick wins again. As for Megatron thats a cartoon so its not really fair but i bet Riddick would find a way to drive him like a mech and wreck shit up. He does that in the game
two times:cool:

OK about Alien:Isolation

It seems i cant even play this. Aparently i dont have the hardware wtf??/ Great... I watched some videos and it looks good but not THAT good.(riddick looks better)

BUT... I noticed some really dumb stuff in there.

First.
Completely irrational characters. And i dont mean their general incompetence to deal with a loose animal... I guess thats just the way things are in the alien universe.
But WHY did they split up into HOSTILE groups? How does that help their survival??? The guy says "its safer that way".:?:?:?
No its not! And i get that theyr scared but really...Its just stupid. Even in the movie nobody did that did they? Cause they had SOME sense. And here they even have GUNS! Heavy machine guns. But instead of using them on the alien they use them on eachother??????

Also i have a gripe with those graffiti on the walls. Stuff like GO BACK! and NO HOPE and ALL IS LOST adn such. How dramatic... All that because of a space bear. Well fine... but its really lame. You know in SS2 there was just ONE of those and it was a refference to the first game. I guess people there had more important things to do than write stupid shitt on the wall the whole day and fight each other.

The whole premise is just completely unplausibile.

I cant belive i torrented this shit the whole night... And deleted 20gb of space for THIS!? Deleted some good games!:argh: You know its fucking insulting thats what it is.

The reason the setting in Alien Isolation is implausible is that, instead of writing a logical and compelling story from the beginning, Creative Assembly and Sega decided to draw brainwashing parallels to expected chaos and destruction in the real Sevastopol. Since the real Sevastopol is permanently stabilized now, all we are left with in Alien Isolation is utter nonsense.

The game's got horror up to a certain point. The last third of the game however is a waste of time - underused characters, rewire and terminals, illogical characters and situations and piss poor ending - that almost ruined the whole game. And the Last Survivor and Crew Expendable DLC was obviously ripped from the main game. We've already got the first person narrative of Marlow's experience, yeah? What about Ellen's? Yeah, well, that is a DLC. Alien Isolation badly needs a level editor.

Some of the things that would've happened both in movies and in the real world:

- Survivors would've holed up in one section of the station and called on the others over the speakers to join them. Think The Walking Dead in Space or maybe even better - Metro series.
- Sections would've been sealed one by one.
- Apollo would've been hacked.
- All sorts of traps would've been placed on the vent exits.
- Xenomorph would've been caught on camera.
- Every sane person who discovers the secret of the station would've destroyed Sevastopol immediately, including themselves if necessary.

On that last point, a great way of doing warring sides would be to have everyone act reasonably but with conflicting aims when dealing with the threat:
- some trying to survive at all costs, happy to help each other insofar as they aren't disadvantaged, but sealing vents without caring if others are trapped in with the alien, blowing up passageways that others need for supplies and eventually shooting anyone who poses a risk to their safety by demanding that the blast doors be opened to save the kid on the other side.

- some also trying to survive, but also trying to do the right thing and save their loved ones, friends and co-workers. They're more shocked by how quickly the first group lose their humanity than by the alien itself, while the first group think that they haven't grasped just how fucked the situation is, and that by playing hero they're going to get a lot more people killed. Guns come out when the members of the second group realise there is still time to reopen one of the blast doors and save a guy who previously saved everyone's asses by staying behind and hacking the security system to force the alien to take a longer route, but and the first group catches them in the act.

- some who lost friends or loved ones early on and are determined to blow the station up if it's the only way to kill the alien. Once they discover that the alien uses human hosts in its reproductive cycle (and that they don't know what the process is, or if there is an incubation period) they decide they can't take any chances, even to save themselves - nothing organic is to leave the station alive.

Have them mixed in with each other when the shit hits the fan, and slowly spend the first half of the game linking up and falling into factions ala SS2 (with plenty of room for backstabbing on the way, eg a few survivors could make it to an escape pod, only for one of their number to be a woman whose kid gets killed by the alien early on, who realises that the alien uses human hosts just in time to incinerate the rest of the group and destroy the escape pods)

True. In the late 80s/early 90s the tech simply didn't exist to portray a full-scale human/xeno war properly. Hence the development hell that Alien 3 went through.

With today's tech? Perfectly possible, yet everyone with half a brain keeps their cheeks firmly pressed together.

Even when Blomkamp has come forth and said "I've got the license now, bitches! Bring it on!"

Blomkamp, Weaver AND Biehn, now all (back) together, are still facing an uphill battle. Even getting Lance Henriksen onboard (which shouldn't be a big problem) won't be enough. Odds will still be against them.

I'm yet to see a film where full scale war (where one side are unsympathetic monsters who don't even have dialogue) works dramatically. It's one of those things that sounds awesome and works as a 'great cliffhanger, next time they're going all out, I can't wait!', but is always shit due to lack of character/story opportunities when it actually happens.

Best approach to that I've seen was Ultraviolet (the awesome British vampire miniseries that does a cold war 'spy v spy' setting, focussing on the human v vampires intelligence officers trying to gain Intel, recruit and counter-recruit (you never find out whether people automatically become loyal to the vampire side when they're 'turned' like most of the humans think, but the vampires certainly don't chance superstition and are cautious as fuck in selecting who to turn for fear of double agents), uncover each others conspiracies and wage a low level war of assassination and counter-intelligence like the CIA and KGB in the 70s - not the shitty American movies of the same name).

It ends when the humans find out what the vampires plan is for surviving without humans should the cold war turn hot (it was written around the time that the US was planning a missile shield against soviet nukes, which had to be shelved as the soviets would have had no option but to launch for fear of being wiped out by a US that could fire nukes with impunity - in the show, the mutually assured destruction of being symbiotic species is what drives the conflict). When asked about a second season, the writer said 'what's the point? Everyone knows what happens next - either they find a way to trust each other, which seems implausible, or the war turns hot and one side or the other wins, at awful cost - all the interesting stuff storywise is finished by that point. Why spend a season on what is essentially a predictable and dragged out finale - there's nothing there that the audience hasn't already filled out in their heads.'

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, my opinion on Aliens and its unfortunate destruction of the potential of Alien is probably unnecessary, so I won't go into it. What I will say, however, is who gives a damn what is considered Canon? Alien 4 is considered canon. Prometheus is canon. Canon is dead. RIP canon. If you think that Mr. Blomkamp is going to fix anything with his license, then I feel that you are unfortunately wrong. I had high hopes for the guy after District 9 and some of his shorts, but after his last two movies it is becoming clear that he is a mediocre full length film director, and he hasn't shown that he has any real ability to direct a horror movie (even when the horror is dilute as Aliens). The best we can hope for without being completely delusional is a movie on par with the theatrical release of Alien 3.

At the end of the day this game is better than 95% of the Alien related material, and it was successful, which means it has a far greater chance of inspiring future work than Alien 4 does.

A horse of course

How would you represent full-scale war with xenomorphs? Contra the comic books, they shouldn't be oversized Zerglings.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
How would you represent full-scale war with xenomorphs? Contra the comic books, they shouldn't be oversized Zerglings.

Or rather, why would humans have a full-scale war with xenos? They're animals, man! Also wouldn't it be really simple to just nuke them from space? What are they going to use to fight back? Harsh language?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Well, my opinion on Aliens and its unfortunate destruction of the potential of Alien is probably unnecessary, so I won't go into it. What I will say, however, is who gives a damn what is considered Canon? Alien 4 is considered canon. Prometheus is canon. Canon is dead. RIP canon. If you think that Mr. Blomkamp is going to fix anything with his license, then I feel that you are unfortunately wrong. I had high hopes for the guy after District 9 and some of his shorts, but after his last two movies it is becoming clear that he is a mediocre full length film director, and he hasn't shown that he has any real ability to direct a horror movie (even when the horror is dilute as Aliens). The best we can hope for without being completely delusional is a movie on par with the theatrical release of Alien 3.

At the end of the day this game is better than 95% of the Alien related material, and it was successful, which means it has a far greater chance of inspiring future work than Alien 4 does.

Canon is an utterly retarded concept when applied to fiction, imo. All fiction, even in shared fictional universes that have established "histories", is just the product of some guy (or gal) sitting at their desk, trying to think up a story worth telling. This isn't history. In other words, NONE OF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Trying to create definitive timelines and to resolve conflicting accounts is retarded when dealing with events that are completely made up: there is no "true account" to uncover beyond what exists by an author's fiat. If you don't like how the Alien franchise unfolded in the third and fourth installment, just don't bother watching them again and continue enjoying the first and second installments. Again, the events of Alien 3, in which Hicks is killed off-screen in the opening credits, are no more "real" than a fan's unproduced, unofficial "Alien 3" script in which he dies a heroic death stopping the alien threat once and for all. The only reason why "canon" matters at all is that certain -- more borderline autistic -- fan bases demand that there be a canon, so that the events in their favorite stories can somehow feel more "real" and "historical". In reality, it's still just fiction.

P.S. I'm not necessarily responding to any point you made, Aldebaran. I'm just ranting about fictional universes and canon. :)

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
[...] it will add multiplayer support - which would be the first real addition to the game since release.

Wait, what? Where did you get that info? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to play A:I multiplayer mode (either co-op or competitive), but unless they were working on it from the beginning, the chances for them adding it are pretty slim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom