Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Elthosian

Arcane
Can't you blow up doors with explosives or use a key/keycard anyway?

Gord

Arcane
Gamestar.de early impressiuns video (15 and 30 hours in)

tl;dw:

- one guys impressions after 15 hours, a colleague of him has 30 hours
- OMG! Baldurs Gate again !!1!one!1!!
- it's big. After 15 hours he barely scratched the surface. The other guy is still in chapter 1 at 30 hours in.
- lots of text
- story is starting out rather slow and run-of-the-mill, initially it's a bit unclear what's going on (he says that's really just a tiny issue)
- sneak peak at the elaborate character system
- a lot of stuff to find and miss, they like the art direction, better than WL2 in fact :M
- good challenge, esp if you don't know the mechanics in detail yet
- they seem to like it, KS backers get what they paid for (small stab at Tim Schafer there)
- very detailed, even in side-quests

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
'You shouldn't have to put in hours of study to roll up a great character, and games shouldn't hinge on your ability to guess what combination of skills designers thought make the most powerful archetypes. The team behind Pillars of Eternity knew they could do better. So they threw out the rules, and built their game from the ground up to be something better.'

I really feel old when I read that somehow...

What year exactly did studying, researching, reading a manual, doing a bit of draft characters on a paper before you roll it up in-game and putting effort into something became...a bad thing?

Diablo169

Arcane
'You shouldn't have to put in hours of study to roll up a great character, and games shouldn't hinge on your ability to guess what combination of skills designers thought make the most powerful archetypes. The team behind Pillars of Eternity knew they could do better. So they threw out the rules, and built their game from the ground up to be something better.'

What year exactly did studying, researching, reading a manual, doing a bit of draft characters on a paper before you roll it up in-game and putting effort into something became...a bad thing?

Nael

Arcane
Two years from now we will be looking at Pillars of Eternity 2 (released on PC as well as consoles) and wondering What the fuck happened?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

414.gif

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Two years from now we will be looking at Pillars of Eternity 2 (released on PC as well as consoles) and wondering What the fuck happened?

Not going to happen. They still could not figure out how to port the Baldur's Gate games to consoles.

cpmartins

Cipher
"Not going to happen. They still could not figure out how to port the Baldur's Gate games to consoles."

Dragon Age like, meaning a completely unusable tactical interface, easy as piss enemies and more cringeworthy romances than you can shake your penis at.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Making characters and trying different options is one of most fun things to do.

For some parties i've spend 1+ hour to make in Wizardry 8 (full mage grp so had to think which spells to take in advance, which to skip and how many schools each character take etc)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

Not going to happen. They still could not figure out how to port the Baldur's Gate games to consoles.
There is that fully playable PS1 version of Baldur's Gate out there. Or does it not count since it wasn't released? :M

I could definitely see PoE (or its sequels) coming out on tablets and maybe consoles in the future, if it's warranted.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

There is that fully playable PS1 version of Baldur's Gate out there. Or does it not count since it wasn't released? :M

I could definitely see PoE (or its sequels) coming out on tablets and maybe consoles in the future, if it's warranted.

I just assume Feargus is already planning Pillars of Eternity: Dark Alliance for the consoles right now....

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Using Pillars of Eternity assets and lore for making a H'n'S Diablo clone is actually an idea that come to me some time ago.

Would also make titles like:

• P'n'C adventure game like Sanitarium - the adventures of an Orlan detective
  • TBS like Blackguards/FFT with limited overworld travel consisting of mostly battle scenarios
  • Josh Sawyer suck my dick CYOA game set on another continent - similar to King of Dragon Pass (illustrations) and NEO Scavenger (map travel)
Making things similar to IWD, PS:T, Arcanum and TOEE is given, of course.

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
"Not going to happen. They still could not figure out how to port the Baldur's Gate games to consoles."

Dragon Age like, meaning a completely unusable tactical interface, easy as piss enemies and more cringeworthy romances than you can shake your penis at.
Pillars of Eternity: Dark Alliance?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

"Athletics" is most often needed in text scenes associated with overcoming obstacles (in the manner of The Banner Saga, except that your companions can not die).

:codexisfor:

However, the number of jobs is such that you will surely reach the ceiling character development long before the final game

Our fortress, incidentally, also could take a lot of your time, but unfortunately, it features more decorative. In Baldur's Gate 2 have been some attempts to stir up the lair of the hero, but in the Pillars of Eternity life abounds somewhere behind the scenes at a special tab

:keepmyjewgold:

Really like to see the promised similarity Pillars of Eternity with Planescape: Torment was to unusual companions, but then, unfortunately, Obsidian nothing extraordinary offers. All eight characters in some way traditional for games Bioware and Obsidian, although every really interesting to watch. Companions have personal quests stuck in conversations and talk to each other - it's certainly better than in Baldur's Gate, but would like something more!

:baka:

Desired relationship with the adventures of Nameless suddenly appears in another: in the middle of the game, when the story seems to have no surprise, in a scenario arise familiar notes and techniques of Planescape: Torment.

:hype:

Apexeon

Arcane

Its called Balance which really means "balance in the bank account" when the godly designer talks.

Yum yum console cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom