Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Released

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Encounterd first bug. Aloth somehow did not initiate a conversation after you save him. Nevertheless he can join you without problems.
the game is great so far, lots to read and at last they solved a walk from one corner of the mapto another problem.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I would prefer a review from someone who really enjoyed BG and BG2.
Your wish is granted.
vigO2N5.png

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
This game is beautiful is all I can say right now. I'll have to get a proper computer in order to play it because my laptop isn't powerful enough. Still...fucking beautiful. This is what the proper transition from 90's era 2D games into modern graphics should have looked like.

Did you actualy tried if it runs on your laptop? Because my 8 year old PC bellow min specs actualy runs PoE quite well.

Athelas

Arcane
i do not know

i do know, however, that i will derive many laughs, and possibly much hate, from watching the codex jizzing all over something that is pure distilled mediocrity

i'd love to see the reactions to eternity if it was not made by obsidian
That makes little sense. We knew for two years that it would be made by Obsidian and that spawned a 1000+ megathread of butthurt.

DemonKing

Arcane
One thing I don't like is all the retarded Kickstarter NPCs hanging around for no good reason. I actually didn't realise what they were at first since when you try and talk to them you go into your chosen one watcher dream state so I thought they might actually be in some way important rather than just three verbose paragraphs of adolescent nerd angst projected onto a superhuman munchkin avatar. It wasn't till I noticed one called "Desslock" that things clicked. :roll:

Heaven knows what your average gamer is going to make of them.

Morkar Left

I would prefer a review from someone who really enjoyed BG and BG2.

Tough luck, Vault Dweller is doing the review. :troll:

(It's actually going to be a Vault Dweller/Grunker joint production, so best of both worlds I guess)

If Grunker enjoyed the BG games that's actually enough for me. I need some people who have the same starting point in tastes to better decide if the game is fitting for me or not. Basically if it's like BG (exploring, combat, chargen, loot etc.) that's a good thing (without being an soulless clone). If there are other parts improving that formula like Fallout multiple solutions, dialogue choices, factions etc. than it's a well appreciated bonus. And I think VD will cover the later aspects very well for me to decide.

mindx2: What's your opinion about the game if you already had the chance to play a bit?

himmy

Arcane
There's something extremely pleasing, font-wise, in the way the descender of a capitalized Q stretched wildly all the way to the third letter in the word.

10/10 Obsidian actually did it!

Disgruntled

Savant
Damn, sounds like one I cant leave for later. Ive been spending too much on good games recently, and I still got GTA 5 on the cards next month.

This is the price we pay for incline.

:negative:

Tigranes

Arcane
Played couple hours on expert + hard. every moment is an orgasm.

Level 2 cipher was too shit to kill a bear, I'm sure I"m doing everything wrong.

Bulba

Learned
dunno what's the problem with having a balanced game... combat it is challenging to say the least, music is awesome and writing is interesting... there are some small bugs and annoying shit here and there, but the game is awesome, it would still be awesome if it had 10 times the bugs and small annoying shit.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played for about 5 hours and had a great time, but I think the "this is the true incline, truly old school RPG with great new features" thing that's going around the Codex is greatly overstating things. It's a lot of fun, it looks absolutely gorgeous, the writing is very good and the game bleeds atmosphere. I spent a long time in character creation and it was very fun to explore all the different character options. And the only bug I've run into is that sometimes the option to lock the mouse to the window stops working randomly.

Combat is usually fun, however I don't enjoy it as much as in the IE games. The main culprit here is engagement. Maybe it gets better at higher levels when you have more characters with abilities that bypass engagement, but right now it makes all combat play the same. Engagement attacks hit too automatically and do too much damage, so that there's almost never any incentive to move your character once they are engaged. Just pound the engaged guy to death and then go engage another guy, pound him to death, repeat.

Encounter design is also pretty lackluster. At first I thought maybe this is just an issue with the low level of the campaign so far, but frankly BG1 still had some memorable encounters right off the bat (the assassins at the Friendly Arm Inn and in Nashkel, the Ogre in the wilderness outside the Inn, that crazy Cleric near Beregost). So far in PoE the only thing that seems to determine whether an encounter is difficult or not is the presence of shades (with the exception of the bear cave). Too few unique encounters + most of the non-unique encounters being against trash mobs greatly decreases the enjoyment I'm getting out of combat, and when you add engagement onto it the whole thing feels like doing the exact same encounter over and over again, using the same tactics. I had enough of that in DA:O, thank you.

The game definitely has time to get better, but so far I think the claims of PoE not simply matching, but improving on the IE games are coming from either people who didn't like the IE games in the first place or folks who are too hyped by a fantastic-looking, well-written game by Obsidian to see its flaws.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This engagement mechanic is downright retarded, or at least downright retardedly realised. This is all I have to say for the moment.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, the encounter design is kind of lame. Even the optional mini-bosses are like "you killed 10 weak X and 5 medium X, now fight one big X". I'm 7 hours in, just got the keep, and I would guess my kills so far were 30% spiders and 30% spirits... kind of boring.

Level 2 cipher was too shit to kill a bear, I'm sure I"m doing everything wrong.
The Cipher is my favorite class (feels like a Warlock), but it isn't suitable for solo. It does a lot of damage, but can't take many hits.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I don't have a problem with engagement, at all. I think it is a good replacement for a generic aggro mechanic ala DA:O.

I am one of those idiots who is saying it (at least right now) feels like a better game than the IE games. That could change, I could burn out or whatever, but that's not likely. Also, I don't understand the gripes about encounter design, but I will fully admit to not "getting" encounter design in general -- beyond the obvious shit like filler combat. But nothing feels like filler combat yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom