Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Diablo169

Arcane
Just unlocked the stronghold. Game is everything I hoped it would be and I'm having a lot of fun playing it. Well done Obsidian.

:hero:

Durance is fucking awesome too.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
How does this give you a reputation for being deceptive?
6bNsOBg.jpg
It's impossible for anyone else to know that you are lying except for your party members.

The first 3 options are basically the same thing, but they give you different reps.

Athelas

Arcane

It's impossible for anyone else to know that you are lying except for your party members.
The same way many criminals get caught - eventually, someone would find out you lied or find the truth from another source. Yes, it's abstraction - that's how a reputation system works.

The first 3 options are basically the same thing, but they give you different reps.
Protip: if you flat-out tell someone their loved one was brutally murdered, expect a different reaction than if you break it to them gently.

Ravel myluv

Learned
Can a storyfag get some feedback on the quality of writting and companions?

Seems like journalsts like it, but who can trust these philistines?

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

The same way many criminals get caught - eventually, someone would find out you lied or find the truth from another source. Yes, it's abstraction - that's how a reputation system works.

Protip: if you flat-out tell someone their loved one was brutally murdered, expect a different reaction than if you break it to them gently.

So you're found out telling her a nice story so she won't feel so bad about her kid being murdered, that gives you a dishonest reputation in all other spheres of life.

People defending this are total dipshits.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Roguey Whatever. I'm focused on the here and the now. If you want to lump everything anyone's ever said during the past year into an amorphous collective target to jeer at, and then wallow in misguided smugness, have at it.

No one should feel compelled to invest heavily in defensive spells, defensive talents, and pile armor and shields onto their wizard just so that he doesn't get insta-gibbed by a mass of teleporting enemies who simply bypass formations and frontliners, and hit like dump trucks. It's absurd, it's not incline, and it's certainly not enlightened game design. If a mage invests heavily in defensive spells, defensive talents, armor, etc., it should be so that he can hold his own on the frontline, if not nearly so well or for so long as a class designed for the front lines.

I've never, and will never, complain about Aloth getting caught in Engagement when he risks the frontline to cast a point-blank spell of some kind, for example. That's completely fine and how it should be.

The specific issue with Shadows is that wizard spells (and mainly fire spells) are, by far, the best of way of dealing with them, so much so that you're better off blasting half your party with friendly fire than abstaining from AoE. When you combine the Engagement system, the Shadows' teleporting ability, their pretty fucking high damage-dealing abilities, and their lust for wizards, it's just too much. It's your idol's obsession with NO CHEESING IN COMBAT, LITERALLY NONE gone a bit awry.

East fix? Shadows should not be able to Engage at all, or have weak Disengagement attacks. Fair's fair, since the fucking cunts can teleport all over the place.

Are the encounters doable and survivable? Absolutely, but it's an annoying mess. I haven't had such serious issues with any other enemies encountered so far, and the devs have a fetish for Shadows because they're fucking all over the place in the beginning.

Athelas

Arcane
So you're found out telling her a nice story so she won't feel so bad about her kid being murdered, that gives you a dishonest reputation in all other spheres of life.

The dispositions are not binary good/evil options. Being willing to bend the truth doesn't make you evil. Of course, you could argue denying someone the truth about their loved ones may very well be an evil thing to do.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Seems like journalsts like it, but who can trust these philistines?
It's not Mask of Betrayer.

I can't but have the feeling I'm playing Baldur's Gate 1 but just with a lot more quality. Running around empty houses searching for quests in main city adds to experience.

And the companions are "just there". A chuckle sometimes but nothing really extraordinary.

Last edited:

Owlish

Dumbfuck!

The dispositions are not binary good/evil options. Being willing to bend the truth doesn't make you evil. Of course, you could argue denying someone the truth about their loved ones may very well be an evil thing to do.

NPCs react to you differently. It's not more nuanced than honest/dishonest. Thugs like you, honest businessmen and general folk presumably do not.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

Very descriptive, details and ambiance focused, which I like a lot.
Can't really say it's "good english" since I'm not a native speaker but it flows within the context pretty nicely even though it's a bit..hmm..flowery (?) at times.

Story so far (think around end of Act 1) is interesting but I'm a fantasy sucker so that might not be saying much. Nothing blew my mind yet though I like the dark tones here and there. It just..fits.
Companions are a bit too...extreme for me, as usual for companions. I'd like some fucking rationale non crazy human being from time to time. Their stories haven't developed enough for me to judge however, but seems fine so far.

Can't say you'll fall in love with the writing overall, but I don't think you'll get disappointed either. It's just decent at worst, pretty good at best so far.

Athelas

Arcane

NPCs react to you differently. It's not more nuanced than honest/dishonest. Thugs like you, honest businessmen and general folk presumably do not.
'Presumably'? Is that what actually happens in the game or are you speculating? If it does turn out to so binary, then sure, criticize away. But I'd suggest finishing the game first.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
AFAIK the reputations like deceptive, honest, benevolent etc are used for paladins and priests, if the god you worship as paladin/priest favors deceptive, and you use it in dialogue, certain abilities should get getter the your gain the points on them.

Edit: I dunno if deceptive is used in dialogue too though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No one should feel compelled to invest heavily in defensive spells, defensive talents, and pile armor and shields onto their wizard just so that he doesn't get insta-gibbed by a mass of teleporting enemies who simply bypass formations and frontliners, and hit like dump trucks. It's absurd, it's not incline, and it's certainly not enlightened game design. If a mage invests heavily in defensive spells, defensive talents, armor, etc., it should be so that he can hold his own on the frontline, if not nearly so well or for so long as a class designed for the front lines.

Wizards are designed to be flexible, a swiss army knife of classes. In the IE games, when my wizards were in trouble, I was ready with the mirror images, blurs, stoneskins, etc.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haha, so many butthurt crybabies complaining about teleporting shadows! The kickstarter was worth it for this alone. Especially since it's not only Gamespot/IGN comment sections, but on the Codex. My short guide for you:

1. Play on Easy.
2. Learn to play.
3. If the above doesn't fix your problem, go back to playing Skyrim.

Mortmal

Arcane

Wizards are designed to be flexible, a swiss army knife of classes. In the IE games, when my wizards were in trouble, I was ready with the mirror images, blurs, stoneskins, etc.

Not really, they are glass cannon, wizard are aggro they are instagibbed , its over . Yes you could cast mirror image and such but it takes too much time, not efficient enough cant be prebuffed and more important its one AOE spell you wont cast, the only way to deal efficiently with enemies such as shades , or some encounters in the infinity dungeon. I can only use 2 camp supplies,or its walking all the way back to inn. The number of spells is very limited, defense spells are a waste of the few precious spell uses you get.

LeJosh

Savant
Found something out that (depends how you view things like this) slightly breaks the speed of progression.

seems you can cheese Stronghold upgrades in Stormwall Gorge by clicking on "wait awhile" in the scripted interaction next to the ruin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom