Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance gets new alpha version, delayed to summer 2016

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dan Vávra; Kingdom Come: Deliverance; Warhorse Studios

Eligible backers of Warhorse Studios' authentic Czech historical RPG, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, received a new version of the game's technical alpha yesterday. In the latest Kickstarter update, Daniel Vavra describes the alpha's new features, which include new quests, preliminary voice acting, lockpicking, and more. The next version of the alpha will finally add combat, horseback riding, and other core features, and a Wasteland 2-style publicly available Steam Early Access beta is planned after that. But the real reason I'm posting this is that the game has, to the surprise of few, been delayed to the summer of 2016. Here's the update:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance Tech Alpha update 0.3 introduces new quests, temporary voice overs (without face animations for now), basic perception, UI and map fixes and lock-picking mini-game.

Technology Alpha is available to backers with Baron Tier or higher, who pledged both on Kickstarter or on our website. Watch Daniel Vavra talking about lock picking on YouTube:

The next Tech Alpha update 0.4 will be introduced on gaming conference E3 and will contain bunch of new quests, new location next to Samopesh village, stealth, horse riding and the sword combat.

Backers with the Knight Tier or higher can look forward to the end of the year 2015, which will bring Kingdom Come: Deliverance Beta version to their desktops. We would also like to make the Beta available to newcomers over Steam, so we can get feedback from more players.

Full version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be released later then announced in Kickstarter campaign. We have made a great progress in 2014 as you can see in the last video update, we doubled our staff, moved to new offices, built a motion capture studio, released technology alpha, finished the quests documentation, made bigger map, implemented AI, prepared assets for new locations, tested the console versions, made first original music tracks and much more.

Although we make great progress every month, there is still a lot of work ahead of us. We feel obliged to our backers to deliver the game with promised stretch goals in the best quality, thus we have decided to postpone the release date to summer 2016. We believe that our backers will support our decision to spend more time with polishing the game and its features. We are looking forward to your feedback from playing Tech Alpha 0.3.

Can't wait to taste some of that official Kingdom Come: Deliverance beer.

Azeot

Arbiter
I hope I'm wrong because everything sounds and looks cool, but I can't see this project ending up in anything other than disaster. They are aiming too high, too quickly.

skyst

Augur
I think we really need to be talking about this "Battle of the Nations" thing mentioned at the end of the video. Holy shit.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think we really need to be talking about this "Battle of the Nations" thing mentioned at the end of the video. Holy shit.
I wanted to go to the 2010 Battle of the Nations tournament and compete there, but a thrombosis and the pregnancy of my wife prevented this. Sadly for me this means no more extreme full contact, only controlled sparring. But at least i can still lift weights.

Xenich

Cipher
I hope I'm wrong because everything sounds and looks cool, but I can't see this project ending up in anything other than disaster. They are aiming too high, too quickly.

Also, the mention of "tested the console versions" is worrying to me as this means that there is likely to be some limitation to the game to stay within relative sync of the platform.

Peter

Arcane
I haven't followed this game since KS, but gosh it seems boring. Usual Twitcher/TES shit (with more swearing, how hardcore). Is there any reason anyone is looking forward to this other than the main dev being a gamergate edgelord?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The alpha does not run on my PC but I also must say that doesnt bother me as the videos are pretty meh.
I am not saying that this is shaping up to be an unmitigated disaster, I just dont feel compelled to play it now that the first gameplay bits are out.
I mean what's interesting about running around and asking banal things from multiple choice menus*, and not being able to pick up 1 single item, except that the developer has put a lot of effort making everything realistic and believeable (I still give them a lot of credit for that). It could prove again my suspicion that (like Mafia) Vavra has a lot of talent for how everything should look, but knows very little about compelling gameplay. I mean if Liberty City had been designed with more than just 20 single missions in mind, people would still be playing it today, graphics still look better than new games on XBox. And I fear this will be mostly the same, very athmospheric but with not enough freedom. I'd thought Vavra was going in another direction this time, but the unpickable items / apples etc are an indication that it is all just decoration, just as the many details in Liberty City, which never had any function. A real pity for all the potential that was there.
P.S. * in fact a lot of it rather looks like the last dying breath of the console genre, not something fresh that they'd promised us.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Here we have first historical RPG set in real world with absolutely no fantasy elements and what we get is

boring, shit, banal

Burning Bridges

Yes but the tech is dissappointingly Biowarian, or do you think they will throw dialogs and mini games into the garbage? No what is shown so far is already a dissapointment for real PC gamers.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yes but the tech is dissappointingly Biowarian, or do you think they will throw dialogs and mini games into the garbage? No what is shown so far is already a dissapointment for real PC gamers.
what the fuck are you talking about

Burning Bridges

That the dialogs (name?/quests?/location?/gossip?) are total shit, and the minigame is also a clear indication of shit.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The alpha does not run on my PC but I also must say that doesnt bother me as the videos are pretty meh.
I am not saying that this is shaping up to be an unmitigated disaster, I just dont feel compelled to play it now that the first gameplay bits are out.
I mean what's interesting about running around and asking banal things from multiple choice menus*, and not being able to pick up 1 single item, except that the developer has put a lot of effort making everything realistic and believeable (I still give them a lot of credit for that). It could prove again my suspicion that (like Mafia) Vavra has a lot of talent for how everything should look, but knows very little about compelling gameplay. I mean if Liberty City had been designed with more than just 20 single missions in mind, people would still be playing it today, graphics still look better than new games on XBox. And I fear this will be mostly the same, very athmospheric but with not enough freedom. I'd thought Vavra was going in another direction this time, but the unpickable items / apples etc are an indication that it is all just decoration, just as the many details in Liberty City, which never had any function. A real pity for all the potential that was there.
P.S. * in fact a lot of it rather looks like the last dying breath of the console genre, not something fresh that they'd promised us.

I agree about Mafia II but not Mafia. Though to be fair, you can see in the files for M2 that it was meant to be a much bigger game. Hell, the WW2 intro bit was meant to be many missions long itself. Other evidence of running out of money and cobbling together anything was the only 'stealth' type of mission in the game where you could even do things outside the quest compass like search the basement to turn off the alarm system for the safe before going the nominated route. The stealth parts were actually serviceable and it would have been nice to have more missions in this vein, but nada: that was the only one. Everything else was follow the route/icon cover shooting and car chases. Even robbing stores was pointless.

Mafia 1 in comparison was pretty much a complete tale in itself and most of the city area was used for the missions. It also didn't lend itself to GTA style run over everything and hijack cars, getting wasted in 500 cop shootouts as the 'open world' was more to set the scene. The city was just big enough to get an impression of scale and atmosphere. Any smaller and people would whine about this, and any bigger and you'd get the LA Noire effect where it seems like you drive for hours to get places. Now THAT was a game with a wasted world.

Rather than this, they should be doing what they are good at: HIDDEN AND DANGEROUS 3!

Burning Bridges

Well good point. Perhaps he already has plans in this direction and wants to become the Czech Fargo. He certainly has the character. Provided that Deliverance does not end up as uninteresting shit I would probably support HD3. Hell even HD2 is still good for another playthrough.

12 years and still looking great. What better game is there to demonstrate that larger textures are != art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9G_XPmk9o
And btw why does all this shit they made actually look so good? I noticed that almost all games which I find visually inspiring and remarkable are either French or Czech. Is there something with them still learning painting from old masters or something?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That the dialogs (name?/quests?/location?/gossip?) are total shit, and the minigame is also a clear indication of shit.

Funny, everything I've seen so far AND everything that CAN be used as basis for making predictions at this point - the art style, the attention to detail, the historical research, the new AI concept, the originality, the length, the authentic medieval combat, the atmosphere - I like a lot.

All of what you mentioned - dialogs, world content, quests, minigames - is not even in an embryonic stage yet. Saying quests will be shit on basis of a little something written solely for the tech demo is genuinely strange. The dialogues and voiceovers are also still just cheap placeholders.

Actually they're debating what language they should write the game in right now, on the forums. It seems Vavra thinks British accents would sound jarring and he wants to go with the US English. I know. :argh:

Some people are suggesting Shakespearean English which is just retarded in my view.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw all the "it's all banal boring shit" callouts here - exactly the reason why Early Access is a terrible idea. People know rationally it's just pre-alpha but emotionally they can't help making first impressions. I'm pretty sure Vavra would've never gone with open EA, it's just he didn't have much choice, he had to make some big promises during the KS. Oh well...

Burning Bridges

Agree, this isnt even Early access. Any definite prediction is impossible. And I give them at least another year (probably more) to deliver.
But we are extrapolating from the recipe, not the ingredients. Otherwise what would we have to discuss here? That the houses look nice? That the brook looks nice? That the clothing layers look nice?
I was expecting something that allows a lot of interaction with the world, not just that someting looks nice like Mafia. Perhaps that's my misunderstanding, but I still believe Vavra was talking of this.
If he is making something that is a console style game with a stunning medieval world, it does not change my dislike for console style games.

Paul_cz

Arcane
What is "console style" game ?

I mean, Deus Ex is as "PC style" as they come and it got PS2 release.
Fallout New Vegas is as much PC style as it is console style and it is fantastic.

So far KCD seems like it could be first great AAA historical nonfantasy RPG - if they pull off quest design, combat, stealth and writing to satisfactory quality.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a tech demo that's supposed to show us what it looks like. It looks p. good. Actual content will be added later, this is just to show that the bare bones of the game are running. I don't see a problem with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom