Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters
Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I would have given this game a 9/10 but for a few kind of important issues. The XP progression is totally fucked up. The AI is totally retarded. The engagement system doesn't really add anything or prevent kiting or really 'work'.
As it stands right now I rate it a 4/10.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Was going to give it an 8/10, but after Raedric's Hold and some of the Twin Elms bits I'm convinced, so 9/10 it is. Raedric's Hold reminded me a bit of the castle dungeon in Ashbury (Arcanum), anything that tingles those nostalgia nerve endings deserves extra credit.

If the itemization was more unique (with big drawings for items etc.), the character systems were less autistic percentage based and combat was less clusterfucky it would have been a classic.

Rake

Arcane
Mareus Thing is, i don't consider BG1 and IWD great games. BG1 was mediocre and IWD was good but nothing special. IWDs best parts were the art and music, and PoE fails to reach it in these areas.
Keep in mind that i haven't played PoE yet, so i can't have an opinion on it, but i was sold in this game expecting a PST/BG2 hybrid. If what i will get is a IWD/BG1 hybrid, i will be disapointed. Not in a "game is shit" way like the most edgy codexians, but in the "game is good for what it is, slightly above average" way.
And that will be a pity for the first game Obsidian have full control to make something special. on par with the classics. I'll have to play the game before i make my final verdict, but i'm under the impresion that strech goals and backers'/Sawyer's disconect in preferences hurt this game.
The only game from Obsidian that i will donate is "Suck my Dick:Avellone's Game- Auteur Style" No strech goals, no nothing.
The rest of Obsidian are good as minions to excecute MCA's vision, bad as leads to make decisions, and backers, especialy the ones Sawyer loves to listen to, are retards.

Last edited:

Mareus

Magister
Mareus Thing is, i don't consider BG1 and IWD great games. BG1 was mediocre and IWD was good but nothing special.
Well, I obviously disagree about that. I would argue that all infinity engine games are great with BG2 and PST being the pinnacle of that particular design style.

IWDs best parts were the art and music, and PoE fails to reach it in these areas.
PoE has great art and music. I don't know what you are talking about here.

Keep in mind that i haven't played PoE yet, so i can't have an opinion on it, but i was sold in this game expecting a PST/BG2 hybrid. If what i will get is a IWD/BG1 hybrid, i will be disapointed.
Well it is more of an IWD/PST hybrid I would say. Namely, the thing that made BG stand out were the character interactions and romance options, something PoE unfortunately doesn't do as well as the older games, but we already knew this would be the case ever since Josh declared he won't be doing the romance options. The characters only shine within their own storyline, but there isn't much banter beyond that. Still I don't think this makes the game mediocre and it is definitely better than IWD and BG1 I would argue (if you can accept the new rule-set and mechanics for what they are).

Not in a "game is shit" way like the most edgy codexians, but in the "game is good for what it is, slightly above average" way.
It is much better than that imo.

And that will be a pity for the first game Obsidian have full control to make something special. on par with the classics. I'll have to play the game before i make my final verdict, but i'm under the impresion that strech goals and backers'/Sawyer's disconect in preferences hurt this game.
The only game from Obsidian that i will donate is "Suck my Dick:Avellone's Game- Auteur Style" No strech goals, no nothing.
I still think you should support this game, regardless of how you might end up feeling about it. I mean, if this game does good we will get more games like this. If not, I am afraid its game over folks. You can of course still complain about certain aspects you didn't like, just as everyone on the codex is doing (including myself).

Morkar Left

Why do people praise BG/BG2 for the party banter as its greatest achievement? It was there for flavor and there wasn't much of it either. The games stood out for the overall design, combat and exploration.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why do people praise PoE's music? I just get sleepy from it.

Yeah, it's the definition of mediocre.

Why do people praise BG/BG2 for the party banter as its greatest achievement? It was there for flavor and there wasn't much of it either. The games stood out for the overall design, combat and exploration.

Because it was great for pacing and contextualization, making you feel like part of an adventuring party.

Rake

Arcane
PoE has great art and music. I don't know what you are talking about here.
Great art/music? Yes. On par with IWD? No. Especialy for music, IWD had way more memorable tracks.

Well it is more of an IWD/PST hybrid I would say. Namely, the thing that made BG stand out were the character interactions and romance options, something PoE unfortunately doesn't do as well as the older games, but we already knew this would be the case ever since Josh declared he won't be doing the romance options. The characters only shine within their own storyline, but there isn't much banter beyond that. Still I don't think this makes the game mediocre and it is definitely better than IWD and BG1 I would argue (if you can accept the new rule-set and mechanics for what they are).
I prefer it without romance. But they promished PST level companions, and from what i hear they failed short of that (with the posible exception of the two Avellone designed companions. And as i said above, better than BG1 and IWD isn't great for me. God help us if they didn't manage to surpass BG1
It is much better than that imo.
I hope you are right.
I still think you should support this game, regardless of how you might end up feeling about it. I mean, if this game does good we will get more games like this. If not, I am afraid its game over folks. You can of course still complain about certain aspects you didn't like, just as everyone on the codex is doing (including myself).
Oh, i already kickstarted this game, and i expect to like it more than any other game since Mask of the Betrayer.(not that i consider any other RPG since MotB particularly good, but that's another story). But General Codex consesus seems to be that the writing in this game (the thing that is the most importand thing for me) isn't great, like PST or the best Obsidian games(kotor2/MotB)
So unless they unlease MCA, or their next game's pitch catters 100% to MY tastes, i will buy it when it comes out and not before. (unless PoE blows my mind with it's writing/story as i'll propably end up disliking the gameplay(or best case scenario being indifferent to it like i was in PST)

Branm

Learned
Mhmm rated it like 9...but that was after 30 hours and not having finished Act 2 yet since i ran around doing side quests. After the ending in Act 2 i don't think it's more than a 7.5 or 8

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I don't understand why would having genius barbarians be a problem, and I don't understand why allowing every build permutation its place in the sun is a bad thing.

It's not inherently a bad thing to have every build be cool in its own way, but in this case the ends don't justify the means. They could have gone about it differently, but that could just be because I prefer more simulationist and less gamey systems.

Look, I agree that BG handled combat better, but to give it just 2/5 is ridiculous. since it is not that much different from IE combat which it was aiming for. Now true, if you didn't like IE combat to begin with and would give it a 3/5, then 2/5 makes sense for PoE. However then you are going into the area of personal preferences which nobody really cares about. What I care about is how does the combat compare to the IE games. From that (more objective) perspective giving it 2/5 doesn't make any sense. There are some new mechanics which some people seem to have a problem with, but nothing that would justify the amount of criticism it is receiving.

You're almost right there, I'd just replace IE combat with BG1 combat, and that was my rationale. Compared to BG1 it's pretty much the same, but dragged down by engagement and no fleeing.

This here I don't understand at all.

Exploration is fine, probably the better of those things I put under the same umbrella. Secrets tend to be in obvious places but no big deal.
Loot is ok, lots of variety but a lot of weapon types feel inferior (Crossbows for example are never the best vs any enemy DR, all you need is Arbalests, Blunderbusses and Arquebuses) and the stacked weapon proficiencies are too arbitrary. A lot of unique weapons or armour don't even have flavour text, it's just the generic item descriptions, like all the Codex backer items.
Crafting has been done better in D:OS, MotB and Arcanum, all games Obsidian should've been familiar with for different reasons. Gathering herbs and brewing potions is nice, but cooking feels kinda pointless.
Sneaking is party-wide - this is retarded. No tactics allowed!

Like text adventure elements which allows you to interact with the environment in unique ways,

90% of those are [Inspect], [Use consumable] -> [Get across], [Leave]. So unique!

multiple solutions to problems, addition of skill checks in dialogues,

Which I actually like a lot in principle, even the reputation-based dialogue choices, if only they were a bit better written.

and other things which I don't have time to get into.
If I wanted to get into all the minor nitpicks and individual brianfart design decisions they put in here, I'd end up going Full Roxor. :outrage:

Also I am very happy that developers are finally catering to the crowd who was starving for real rpgs and that this is a huge step in the right direction, even if it is still not where everyone would want to see it at. Obviously, limited budget and Obsidian's financial problems didn't help things, so I give it 8/10 considering everything. It is not as good as BG or PST, but the fact that it is even comparable with those games is a huge achievement. It is better than IWD and that is a fact which is already putting PoE up there with the classics.

Back before the decline was a fait accompli, we looked at the gems of the genre and thought that it can only grow and get better from here, the sky's the limit! 15 years later and we're marvelling at a successful cargo cult of Baldur's Gate. Mother of God.

Xeon

Augur
PoE has better music than BG1's. Especially the combat music, there are multiple variety so it doesn't get stale or something, I kinda like that. Don't remember any music of the other games to be honest, but I don't think I hated the BG2's music.

Game also looks pretty good.

Deleted member 7219

There is not a single thing that BG does better than PoE. Writing, C&Cs and reactivity are very good in PoE and almost non-existent in BG. Area maps are noticeably higher res with more detail. More interaction with the game world. And yes, the music.

Some might claim the combat in BG is better, but the combat was what I hated the most about BG and I had to turn on cheats just to get through it all. I've never been tempted to do that in PoE.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
xjD8yYn.jpg

Who did the background art? That guy is the MVP of the team.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There is not a single thing that BG does better than PoE. Writing, C&Cs and reactivity are very good in PoE and almost non-existent in BG. Area maps are noticeably higher res with more detail. More interaction with the game world. And yes, the music.

Some might claim the combat in BG is better, but the combat was what I hated the most about BG and I had to turn on cheats just to get through it all. I've never been tempted to do that in PoE.

Don't agree about the combat in regards to BG, but I agree on your points about PoE. Also the quest design is miles above BG and most RPGs outside the usual suspects (Fallouts, Arcanum...), something most codexers should appreciate.

Most classics, if looked with the same scrutiny as this "kickstarter renaissance", wouldn't hold up as the greatest things ever as well. As always, time should put everything in it's place.

But all this meticulous criticism should be great feedback for next iterations, so I'm not exactly complaining.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I prefer it without romance.
Why? Romances are optional. Options are good especially if they are done right as they were in BG2. Preferring to have less options... can't make sense out of that.

Thought the same 15 years ago but its slippery slope; you start with :obviously: stuff like romance with Viconia only to end up with riding the bull cause romances will attract Biowhores and company will start to cater to them; so No thanks.

Mareus

Magister
Why? Romances are optional. Options are good especially if they are done right as they were in BG2. Preferring to have less options... can't make sense out of that.

Thought the same 15 years ago but its slippery slope; you start with :obviously: stuff like romance with Viconia only to end up with riding the bull cause romances will attract Biowhores and company will start to cater to them; so No thanks.
Sorry, but that is just a retarded argument to make.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Retarded cause Absurdian sucks SJW diseased cock now not to mention what they will do in 15 years? See it yourself and weep:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...dian-caves-in-to-the-sjws.98296/#post-3843971

There is no way any Romance done by them would be Mature and not catering to those perverts... And You are not Sea btw what is with this stealing of personality on Dex lately?

Mareus

Magister

Retarded cause Absurdian sucks SJW diseased cock now not to mention what they will do in 15 years? See it yourself and weep:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...dian-caves-in-to-the-sjws.98296/#post-3843971

There is no way any Romance done by them would be Mature and not catering to those perverts... And You are not Sea btw what is with this stealing of personality on Dex lately?
I hate the SJW crowd more than any other group of ppl, due to how censor-happy they are, but Obsidian didnt want to cave in. Firedorn himself decided to do that and he made a new epitaf which takes a giant shit over the SJW cretins. His new epitaf is even better imo because it aims directly the SJW nazis. Besides, not supporting good games because of political difference of opinion is just as retarded as what SJW morons are doing.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After spending all of this Sunday playing PoE I really can't justify my 9/10 rating anymore.

10/10 it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom