Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Just a quick update >_<

Awesome video Derium, as always.

Cannot wait to see what you come up with- =)

Still taking a 'wait and see'approach myself but unless there is some kind of underhandedness going on, I am impressed that someone is stepping in to take over and make an attempt.

I feel for you guys who backed. I just dont want to see this new companies feet held to the fire if they cannot produce GM since it looks (at least so far) that they are at least going to make an attempt at fixing the last 3 years of fuck ups.

That said- You came at the exact needed time brother. We wouldnt be even be talking a handover if the pressure hadnt come before sunrise yesterday.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Him handing off the game to another company just sounds shady as hell. This company probably consists of inexperienced devs who are desperate and who will work for free. What company would even accept such terms. They have to fulfill the backer awards and some of them are physical? I wonder if Jason is still getting a percentage in whatever contract he makes with them.

Also, what is happening with the $100k? It just sounds like he passes it off to another company and keeps the Kickstarter money. Actually, I suspect the money has already been spent in some way and is completely gone. Probably spent in other ways not related to Kickstarter like personal expenses. Also I doubt Kickstarter will do anything about this. They take a percentage of the money from each Kickstarter and have been shown in the past to not really care if Kickstarters are scams or breaking their rules.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Its just an attempt to dump any liability to a set of a few people working out of their garage with an attitude that something is better than nothing for their next project. Guarantee those devs haven't seen the code and have no idea if its useful or not. They are probably only getting code and license/IP.

Not a knock against JamesP but sometimes its actually better to completely throw out the old code and start from scratch. It can actually be faster that way when no one on the team wrote any of it. They are shooting in the dark.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Its just an attempt to dump any liability to a set of a few people working out of their garage with an attitude that something is better than nothing for their next project. Guarantee those devs haven't seen the code and have no idea if its useful or not. They are probably only getting code and license/IP.

Not a knock against JamesP but sometimes its actually better to completely throw out the old code and start from scratch. It can actually be faster that way when no one on the team wrote any of it. They are shooting in the dark.
I'm sure thats what it is- And I think your statement about starting over is a valid one. Its going to be interesting. However, if they dont deliver we will be revisiting all this in a year. Assuming, of course, this company is on the up and up and this isnt smoke and mirrors. We're going to know everything though. For now i'm going to assume this is legit and thus I want to give the company the benefit of the doubt until we learn more.

I think the project isnt salvageable tbh- Especially within a year. That doesnt mean they wont make a valiant attempt and they may even succeed.

Times going to tell...Lots of things.

-Derium is doing a hell of a job with some real and much needed journalism. :incline:

Derium

Novice
-Derium is doing a hell of a job with some real and much needed journalism. :incline:

They will not get rid of me either, and I'll not only be watching their every move, but digging too. They are already misleading right off the first glance. Not even the first dig.
f2.png

f3.png

gestalt11

Arbiter

I'm sure thats what it is- And I think your statement about starting over is a valid one. Its going to be interesting. However, if they dont deliver we will be revisiting all this in a year. Assuming, of course, this company is on the up and up and this isnt smoke and mirrors. We're going to know everything though. For now i'm going to assume this is legit and thus I want to give the company the benefit of the doubt until we learn more.

I think the project isnt salvageable tbh- Especially within a year. That doesnt mean they wont make a valiant attempt and they may even succeed.

Times going to tell...Lots of things.

Hey there is no reason to be insulting to Derium just because he is finding actual facts and doing ciritical thinking .... oh oops hold on my brain has been conditioned over the years such that I cannot distinguish between the word "journalist" and "whore".

Hey Derium, be careful some of the posters at MMORPG.com are deathly convinced you may get sued by some big bad boogey man for showing run of he mill legal documents. Heaven forbid someone actually do something other suck someone cock because it there is an LLC somewhere.

My fucking dog SuperHiroFluffyButt has an LLC and guess what he has a monocle too so you KNOW he is more well connected and he had his legal respresentitive Mr Toonces my cat tell me to tell you that they are gonna sue you too and since he know the Right People you better not rock the boat. Bunch of cowards, I don't even own a cat or a dog and that last sentence is more likely to work in a court of law than Appleton's threats at that site.

Give em Hell because they plague of whores called journalism won't. Actually that is very unfair many whores are just hard working people.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Interesting twist, huh? gee, wonder what happens next?

Im just sorry that after emergency negotiations on a holiday weekend with almost no notice Interdiction appears to have wasted its time. I wish them luck on future projects.

note- The Penguin just cracked a Beer. I am going to lurk mode more than likely because I dont want to drunk post in this thread. maintaining radio silence... but I'll be around watching if anything happens. If I PM someone with crazy shit...Well...Im a drunk penguin what the fuck do you expect? Just forgive me.

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
I wish I knew what the negotiations really were just out of morbid curiosity. The quote from Joel Hager sticks in my mind "The guys a nightmare" after him and JamesP tried to do something with it and wanted to put him on some board or something.

That Joel guy seemed to have his shit together pretty decent. Maybe he will talk to you.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Wow GM community it's been a wild few days... but now that we've all had some time to cool down, I feel that maybe I should clarify on a few things:
First of all I do not and never did think that Jason was a scammer. We both believed very much in GM and in the GM Community and KS Backers. Both of us wanted nothing more then to see Greed Monger through to Completion. However over the years we all made mistakes. Mistakes which we can both take into our Future endeavors and be better people as a result.

When I first joined Greed Monger Jason and I got along wonderfully. He had a huge amount of Passion for GM. And he had a way of making everyone else on the team passionate about it as well. He had a Desire and Drive to see it developed. He and I would stay up all hours going over every little detail. It was never his intention to try and scam people.
Next Jason did buy the team just about anything we needed. Some of the stuff is still being used other things turned out to be a bust for whatever reason or was replaced. He did Provide the Server hosting, Licenses, Salaries for some employees, and bonuses for others my self included.

While Jason did threaten a Lawsuit against me a couple years ago when I attempted to leave there were other times since then that Jason did in fact offer me a way out should I want to take it. I stayed on because while Jason and I did fight a lot and didn't have the best of working relationships anymore I still believed in GM and the Community and I wanted to see GM through to completion.

This past week since I released the last GM Release was one of the hardest weeks for me. The attacks coming our way turned from being attacks against Jason and Greed Monger to being attacks against me personally and I was being hit HARD. It was stressing me out to the point that I was actually having physical issues. I Combined that with the fact that everyone around me was telling me to leave, I didn't want to get into another fight with Jason, and I over reacted. There are ways I could have less publicly bowed out of GM and for that Jason I am truly sorry.

Moving forward I really wish Jason the best of Luck in whatever he does. I am really glad we have been able to work through things and are leaving on good terms with each other.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
http://www.greedmonger.com/forum/sh...reed-Monger-in-others-hands&p=29935#post29935

have officially signed the agreements that give James Proctor and Joel Hager complete ownership and control of the Greed Monger IP and in that agreement, they are taking over all assets and licenses related to Greed Monger as well as liability for the Kickstarter and website backers and will be committed to honoring all of your pledges.

EDIT- Well played Jason... I think you're a fucker but you're one of the smartest fuckers I have ever come across. Under different circumstances.... On one hand I want to brofist this fucker because that was slick. But I dont =(

Well played.
:5/5:

James- You're it.
I humbly bow out of this thread. Ill be reading it and possibly commenting a bit but Ive got to do what ive got to do. James and I have a personal 'friendship' (i suppose) and I support his endeavor. Guys going to givge it 200%. he entered the fucking codex when called out- balls like that are rare. Will return fully if and when some drama heats up that doesnt involve James or MMOI.

Last edited:

Norfleet

They will not get rid of me either, and I'll not only be watching their every move, but digging too. They are already misleading right off the first glance. Not even the first dig.
f2.png

f3.png
That's not misleading, that's completely consistent. It's entirely common and totally reasonable for an organization to exist prior to formally filing paperwork. If, until 2010, they had no finances, just a loose organization of people, they would have existed as of 2009, but only formally filed in 2010. My own group is the same way: We've informally existed since 1997, but we still haven't actually filed any paperwork because we have no finances and no employees, just some founder-volunteers. If you don't even exist, you can't decide WHERE to file your paperwork. Thus, existence must precede formal paperwork.

So, it stands to reason that the guys in question existed for the better part of a year or more without any formal filing because at that point they were all volunteers and had no finances. You didn't think Indies typically set out to become a company immediately, before they had produced anything which would even look like it could congeal as a product?

Last edited:

Derium

Novice
It's not misleading, that's completely consistent. It's entirely common and totally reasonable for an organization to exist prior to formally filing paperwork. If, until 2010, they had no finances, just a loose organization of people, they would have existed as of 2009, but only formally filed in 2010. My own group is the same way: We've informally existed since 1997, but we still haven't actually filed any paperwork because we have no finances and no employees, just some founder-volunteers.

I take it as such, why try and pad it as if you were in operation longer than you really were? I own a business, and I don't want to claim I have been open for 10 years or whatever. Because when a customer looks at me, and we look to be about 5 years in growth, but they think it's been ten. It makes us look incompetent. Just like how before I saw that filings I thought "really? 6 years and haven't even got to crowd funding yet?". Four years in production does sound a lot better than 6. Maybe it's just my opinion. But trying to appear more legit than you actually are, I feel is deceitful.

Otherwise any company could have a grand opening and next week say "we have 25 years experience". That's lying to garnish up trust.

Derium

Novice
Aka: you might have existed longer, but not in business longer. And that's all that matters.

Norfleet

A gap of a year between a group forming and officially filing paperwork to be a legally recognized corporation instead of a partnership isn't really much of a padding. When you consider that software will be developed for a fair bit before any kind of financial concerns enter the picture, this isn't unreasonable at all.

Derium

Novice
A gap of a year between a group forming and officially filing paperwork to be a legally recognized corporation instead of a partnership isn't really much of a padding. When you consider that software will be developed for a fair bit before any kind of financial concerns enter the picture, this isn't unreasonable at all.

If they were operating the same as before they founded, sure. But normally it's not operating in that manner. Because operating a business and dealing with everything that comes with that, it s TON different than doing your work.

Angthoron

Arcane
You've also picked up the "debts" and the responsibilities along the way, including but not limited to t-shirts and that server farm that Jason had "plenty of". Hope you guys can find the financing for all that.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
You've also picked up the "debts" and the responsibilities along the way, including but not limited to t-shirts and that server farm that Jason had "plenty of". Hope you guys can find the financing for all that.

Jason is responsible for all past issues... MMOI is responsible for all Future issues from yesterday on. Yes we are responsible for making sure that the KS Backers receive what they pledged for including the T-shirts. Jason will be sending them to Joel this week and we will make sure that they are sent out in a timely fashion once they are received.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have a bad feeling about this...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom