Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Anyone giving the game a lower score than 7/10 is a moron to be disregarded.

Anyone giving the game a higher score than 9/10 is a fanboy to be disregarded.

I personally am between 8 and 9, whenever I see Thaos and the spoiler twist I go up, whenever I see Sagani and the shit emotes in dialogues where sorority girl wannabe Fenstermaker adds "bites his lip", I start going towards mid 8s.

Obsidian delivered on many fronts yes. But cities were let downs, NPCs were let downs, pacing was a huge let down, and voice acting was horrible except for Durance, Eder and Kana.

Remove Fenstermaker from the narrative design of the sequel and put God of Narration, Colin McComb in charge with Avellone doing more shit instead of taking selfies in conventions. Then you have a contender for GOAT.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'm not sure I will finish it at all, in fact it reminded me how Arcanum was great and I got a craving for that game, over this one.
J-J-JAMESON-LAUGH.gif

Zeronet

Learned
What complete trite and utter nonsense from the uk ign review. Clearly can't understand the concept of 2D overpainted art and how it still has a place. I don't want to spend half my bloody game fighting with a rotating camera.
Alright

Am I stupid for losing like 20 fights throughout the entire game because my entire party/enemies were concealed behind some beautifully painted 2D art and couldn't get away because of the engagement system?

I don't know, it's not a problem i recall having. I made do with the outlines you get. Maybe Obsidian should avoid getting players into fights behind trees. Not a reason to abandon 2D art.

hiver

- Quests
Nothing special or original, at all. Fetch quests. A guy in the woods I've never seen before asks me to overthrow a local noble. I accept and go to the keep of that lord, only to be attacked on sight. Why? Is that standard practice to attack everyone who comes to the door?

-

Yes, its standard practice to be attacked at the door of a castle held by a lord who just killed his wife and holowborn kid and is killing people left and right while there is open guerrilla rebellion going on against him, led by his cousin. Indeed. Indubitably so.

Kiste

Augur
- Quests
Nothing special or original, at all. Fetch quests. A guy in the woods I've never seen before asks me to overthrow a local noble. I accept and go to the keep of that lord, only to be attacked on sight. Why? Is that standard practice to attack everyone who comes to the door?

Yes, its standard practice to be attacked at the door of a castle held by a lord who just killed his wife and holowborn kid and is killing people left and right while there is open guerrilla rebellion going on against him, led by his cousin. Indeed. Indubitably so.
Especially when the two guards at the main entrace to the keep clearly instruct potential visitors to kindly fuck off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Multiple Sentence Review: Pillars of Eternity

When I begin a new RPG I like to take my sweet time absorbing the details. Every stat description is carefully read. "Ah, yes," I declare as I thoughtfully rub my chin, "it seems that having more Dexterity will allow me to swing an axe faster."

Lore is savored. Please, tell me more about these blood dragon priests of which you speak. Do you have some more names, locations, and political factions in store for me? I'll take them all at once, thank you.

poe.jpg

"This? Oh, it's just my inventory. You know, books. A book pig. More books. This is only page 1 of 4."After a few hours the magic inevitably starts to fade. I begin to realize that I'm probably putting more effort into the story than the writers. That was definitely the case with Mass Effect, when I realized that every compelling plot setup was lifted whole cloth from Revelation Space.

Even when a game is mostly original and good, my painstaking approach still gives way to Finish This Game mode long before the halfway point.

That didn't happen with Pillars of Eternity. Exploring, finding out about the world, and tinkering with the combat mechanics never got old. It always felt like there was enough substance to justify my ridiculous playstyle of slowly absorbing the entire game like a gross nerd blob. My patented Finish This Game mode never kicked in. I spent - and I'm well aware that this is shameful - seventy hours with the game. None of it (well, maybe a little) felt like filler.

With all that time in Pillars of Eternity under my belt, I can definitively say two things.

1. Pillars of Eternity is the best RPG since Fallout: New Vegas. It combines that game's intricate world building with the best elements of classic isometric CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment and the original Fallout, then drags the whole genre forward with a ruleset and user interface that manages to make sense most of the time.

and

2. This video game is primarily about stealing books.

I stole a lot of books, man. Read them all, too, because they were good. And when Obsidian is on point, "good writing" isn't "good writing for a video game" but "good writing".

So I stole all those books. Sometimes people just left their books out in the open. Sometimes I had to sneak past a guy. Once or twice I might have unlocked a guarded chest then killed several people who caught me in the act. In the end, I'm proud to say that I got all the books.

I felt particularly pleased with myself at the halfway point of one particular dungeon. After crawling through several trap-ridden floors I had managed to collect a dozen glorious books. A great haul, to be sure, an adventure worthy of any campfire tale. Then I happened upon a library. In the dungeon. There were so many books in there, you guys.

Thankfully I always walk around in scouting mode, which puts your entire party in stealth and makes it possible to spot hidden stuff. In this case I found something tucked away behind one of the library's bookcases: A secret stash. Of books.

Later I obtained my own keep. By investing money to rebuild individual buildings and defensive structures within the ruins, I was able to restore this shithole to its former glory. For example, I restored a library. with books in it. That I was able to pick up and put in my inventory.

This game is the greatest god damn thing.

ctstalker~vga-icon-pc.gif
Pillars of EternityYou should probably play this, even if you're not a virtual book thief. 10/10

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
City map is horrible.

A lot houses and building each of them takes time to load when you enter and when you leave. Also some have 2nd levels, which means more load times. So when you are done looting 2nd floor of building, you now need to pass 2 loading screens (2 to 1st floor and then to outside map)...

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

I personally am between 8 and 9, whenever I see Thaos and the spoiler twist I go up, whenever I see Sagani and the shit emotes in dialogues where sorority girl wannabe Fenstermaker adds "bites his lip", I start going towards mid 8s.

Obsidian delivered on many fronts yes. But cities were let downs, NPCs were let downs, pacing was a huge let down, and voice acting was horrible except for Durance, Eder and Kana.

Remove Fenstermaker from the narrative design of the sequel and put God of Narration, Colin McComb in charge with Avellone doing more shit instead of taking selfies in conventions. Then you have a contender for GOAT.

Even the most shabby video game typically gets rated over 60% by most media outlets, and pretty much every AAA title gets 90% or higher. In that sense PoE deserves a high score.

But my own rating I would probably give it 6.5 or less. Not nearly as good as some other CRPGs, but above average gameplay mechanics and mostly gorgeous visuals, paired with mediocre to bad and uninteresting writing overall. As a story-driven RPG the storytelling should make the biggest impact on its score.

Metatron

Augur
Its seems to be getting very good reviews across the board (even a bit better than D:OS in its time) and I'm happy for that. Even when the idiot from Gamespot gave it 'just' a 8/10 he got a lot of hate for it (and rightly so cause his excuses were too much text and bugs already patched out).

To be honest, I think this game is far from perfect and there are many aspects in PO:E that could use some improvement but there's no time and place for that in mainstream publications. Right now it's about getting enough resources to fund that sequel and the raving reviews certainly help.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Much better review than I expected. He actually identified valid issues with the game. Much better than the 10/10 dumbfuckery that has been going around.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Much better review than I expected. He actually identified valid issues with the game. Much better than the 10/10 dumbfuckery that has been going around.

Yeah, took me by surprise as well, I thought this guy's supposed to be an idiot.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

IMO 2! I was ready to groan and sigh my ass off when I started up the video, but in the end I didn't have to do any of that!:O It's a cool and fair review. In fact, I just clicked the 'subscribe' button!:O

KK1001

Arbiter

Considering its relatively tiny budget, I think they did a decent job overall. Fenstermaker is pretty meh as a designer, and the game would have benefited from Avellone in charge.

Funnily enough, Angry Joe gave the game a pretty fair review. I think there are fundamental problems with the itemization and encounters (both in terms of AI and variety) in the game, but I struggle to give the game less than a 7/10.

Kuurth

Novice
All this hype is disgusting. The game is mediocre on all fronts, add the bugs and all you have is an exercise in frustration. Oh, you want to enter another area, let me crash to desktop again even after a patch. Because OBSHITIAN only makes shit. Buying a copy of this game would only serve one purpose, stomping on the fucking box until it becomes dust. Gonna finish the game as quickly as i can and forget it ever existed. Hoping Torment: Tides of Numenera is a better experience but after Wasteland 2, i doubt that....

hiver

Yeah, took me by surprise as well, I thought this guy's supposed to be an idiot.
He actually isnt. But he is working the mass market so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom