Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Black

Arcane
Hopefully Obsidian will deliver a mighty slam dunk rpg once they're free from the tyranny of evil publi-
Oh.

Aenra

+ am happy seeing younger people giving this genre (because Witchers and Skyrims are 'shooters' to me, not RPGs) a proper try thanks to titles such as PoE. And thankfully, not just PoE. Cultivating a younger audience is not only generally good (quality), but also beneficial to us old(er) farts. And thankful for PoE in specific because for some, this was their first brush with a non full 3D game. Major point this. This alone makes everything else..well..a matter of personal preference, and as such one i can put aside.
+ was a treat running it for the first time and seeing that glorious 2d superimposed. Brought back a nostalgia that kept me playing it for quite some time. With a smile.

- That did eventually fade away..entirely.
- That does make me worry about VD praising it. I cannot reconcile AoD story and plot pacing (forget combat for just a second) with that of PoE's. In light of next Thursday that is; plenty of expectations there. A worrying statement from his part.

I do not think huegweilder's being harsh. Accurate, analytic, with a proper 'historical' background (necessary to have a point of reference) set and made clear, sure. And with plenty of good points. Now if to some he appears as having an agenda for criticising it so, well.. at least he provides some solid arguments behind his calls. All we can ask i think :)
If i had to disagree on something, i guess that would be his failing to [re]view this product as i think they viewed it (Obsidian). A bridger between generations. No more. I cannot know about you, but this is what i was expecting, this is what appears to have eventually been made, no shock there. And as a "bridger", it performs wonderfully. Again just my opinion. If it is me that's being wrong, and they actually had the lack of insight required to consider it ..more.. than just that? Pity. For them and for us.

edit: cannot brofist you yet, sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Jarzebina

Well done towarzyszu Roxor. You have completed your mission. Now go to base for reward.

polish-girls-are-the-best-3.png

POLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I disagree with a lot of this review, but one part I really couldn't disagree more on is the quality of the setting. It actually is very good and interesting, and consequently the fact that it (i.e. cultural values and recent history) informs the quest design and NPC's perspectives on things is one reason the game's universe is so compelling.

But hey, it wouldn't be the Codex without hate!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Solid review that explains in detail what is wrong with PoE. Overall, I still enjoy the game but I agree with most of what Roxor criticizes, because it's just the fucking truth. Dozens of trash mobs and you don't even get combat XP, items never do anyhing exciting, setting is "we don't want to be Forgotten Realms but actually we're just Forgotten Realms, yeah sorry we tried". It's good for what it is, but not much better than that. Div: OS and Wasteland 2 were better at delivering their promises.

naossano

Cipher
I don't get all this hate agains't loading screen.
It isn't the first game nor the last to feature loading screens.
And this one has some texts to read in the meantime.

Angthoron

Arcane
If you don't have an SSD, by the end of the game loading screens even permit you to cook dinner and take a dump!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It wouldn't be the CODEX without being XTREME. In this case :hate: and :cocksucking:

It's actually good that PoE will get 2 reviews because the truth is in the middle. VD's 10/10 best game since W2 evar review, will set things straight.

Roxor should also do W2 too, so we can tone down from VD's unbelievably praising review.

Aenra

ghostdog
i don't see anything extreme. This is an insanely talented group, with millions to their call, zero publishers/oppressing businessmen on their back and almost two decades of experience. In light of that, well, i am not sure how else we are supposed to view this one title.. but i guess to each their own countryman :)

FUDU

Arcane
I see Darth Roxor has decided to raise the level of the codexes Torr gauge significantly. Good job. Mission accomplished.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Solid review that explains in detail what is wrong with PoE. Overall, I still enjoy the game but I agree with most of what Roxor criticizes, because it's just the fucking truth. Dozens of trash mobs and you don't even get combat XP, items never do anyhing exciting, setting is "we don't want to be Forgotten Realms but actually we're just Forgotten Realms, yeah sorry we tried".

This is what I dislike the most about PoE. Obisidan had their own shot at making their very own fantasy world and system. They could do anything and they wrote a campaign that can be without much problems just straight ported to DnD. All monsters are already there in the DnD's bestiary, all classes are already there (just change cipher to psyker) etc. Obsidian turned out to be less original than people like Wizardry devs, Van Coneghem and Gariott back in the day and all they wanted to make was their own DnD adventure. My biggest disappointment was that Obsidian didn't bother to make their own shitmobs. It's a bit of a tradition that when trying to make your own original fantasy creators should at least include different shitmobs. Alicesoft has Hannys, Final Fantasy has Cacti (and their goblins don't really look like dnd goblins), Gothic had scavengers, Diablo 2 had fallen, Morrowind had Mudcraps and Cliff Racers etc. Obsidian just blatantly stole Kobolds along with their dragon connection and called them Xaurips. Only time they decided to change things a little was when they were copping copyrighted monsters like the Ilithid. The bestiary is so uninspired I'd willingly exchange it for Serious Sam bestiary, which is a shame because one is an RPG and the other is one of the most mindless First Person Shooters.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
If you don't have an SSD, by the end of the game loading screens even permit you to cook dinner and take a dump!
Make a comparison between D:OS and PoE's loading screens.
Which one has more and longer, DISQUSS
which is a shame because one is an RPG and the other is one of the most mindless First Person Shooters.
Hey, go easy on that PoE hate.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, anyone who claims that the setting is super awesomely developed and detailed and very different from D&D obviously hasn't read enough D&D sourcebooks, because you can construct a very similar thing to PoE by sprinkling a bit of Planescape into the Forgotten Realms. No, really, 90% of the game's lore and story could be changed into a custom Forgotten Realms campaign with very little effort, and you wouldn't really notice the difference.

PoE is much worse when it comes to loading screens. For example, when you are clearing Endless Paths and decide to buy more camping supplies first you need to exit the dungeon, then go to the keep, exit the keep, go to the second level of your tavern, exit and finally go back to the dungeon, that's 9 fucking loading screens for something as trivial. In DivOS when you decide you need to exit the dungeon in Chyseal and go to every shop in the city you will see one screen, while getting out of the dungeon. Fun fact: getting out of the dungeon, going to Dryford, sleeping in Dragon's Tavern and coming back will give you only 6 loading screens, making your keep even more useless than it would be by itself.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Darth Roxor likes to be negative for the sake of being negative. The game has some minor problems, but I don't see the need to blow them out of proportion - especially when it does so many things right.

- Quest design is very good for the most part.
- Setting is okay and has some nice new ideas in it.
- The character classes are not similar or 'bland' at all.
- The numerous skill checks in conversations and on the Darklands-like screens were done very well.
- The combat experience is still there, though only until you "know" a particular enemy fully.
- To say that combat in general is "too easy" is stretching it. For the most part, the difficulty level was just right.
- The Stronghold did not have much of a purpose but it was a nice touch. And the dungeon below it was excellent.
- The items and the crafting were okay, though it could have been done better.

- Personally I thought that the loading times were the biggest problem.
- More C&C would have been nice too, such as at the famous ending of Act II.
- Also, the capping off at Level 12 made no sense.

What was so bad about the end of Act II? Everyone is referencing it, but I seem to have missed the bad part somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom