Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters
Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Your way seems to include a lot of arbitrary distinctions.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Uh, you mean your way does?

The game is a 10 if you compare it with all other games, obviously.

I'd say the game is a 10 compared to recent RPGs as well. 99% of RPGs released since the 90s are shit.

I'd probably say PoE is a 10 compared to all RPGs that have ever been made. Although people who don't like RTwP or only like roguelikes or JRPGs or similar might disagree.

If BG2 and Torment are the only points of reference (as you suggest), and BG2 is a 1 and Torment a 10 I'd probably say PoE is a 5.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Python script for calculating the average Codex rating:

Code:
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
import re
import urllib2

poll = BeautifulSoup(urllib2.urlopen("http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/how-would-you-rate-pillars-of-eternity.98108/poll/results"))
results = [result.find(class_="count").string for result in poll.find_all(class_="pollResult")]

total_score = 0.0
total_count = 0.0

for i in range(10):
    score = 10 - i
    count = int(re.findall("\d+", results[i])[0])
    total_score += score*count
    total_count += count

average = total_score / total_count

print average

(inb4 remarks about my style)

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted

I'd say the game is a 10 compared to recent RPGs as well. 99% of RPGs released since the 90s are shit.

I'd probably say PoE is a 10 compared to all RPGs that have ever been made. Although people who don't like RTwP or only like roguelikes or JRPGs or similar might disagree.

If BG2 and Torment are the only points of reference (as you suggest), and BG2 is a 1 and Torment a 10 I'd probably say PoE is a 5.

My way was to read the descriptions next to the numbers and choose the corresponding number which described the game. Doesn't seem that arbitrary to me. I'd go so far as to say that was the way J_C intended us to score the game.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is pretty fucking arbitrary, if you choose a number according to an arbitrary sentence then the average result means nothing.

There are of course meaningful ways of grading. For example, choosing a reference set of a certain number of games and then forcing people to divide them equally into 10 subsets ordered by score.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

My way was to read the descriptions next to the numbers and choose the corresponding number which described the game. Doesn't seem that arbitrary to me. I'd go so far as to say that was the way J_C intended us to score the game.
Everybody can rate however s/he wants to rate. I tried to come up with discriptions that are somewhat related to the numbers, but if you think that the numbers and te discriptions do not match, you can just look at the numbers.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
well whether I rate the game via J_C's descriptions or by comparing it to other games I still walk away thinking PoE is a pile of disappointment. I think my method of scoring the game by finding a number which corresponds to how I feel about it makes more sense than making up some arbitrary category of games and scoring it against those.
Edit : I think I would rate arguing on forums an 8/10. Its easily twice the fun that I had in PilloE.

Old Hans

Arcane
I cant even bother finishing it. I had more exciting stories during my crusader kings 2 adventures.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes, because this poll is all about you...

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
That is pretty fucking arbitrary, if you choose a number according to an arbitrary sentence then the average result means nothing.
Is arriving at an average result the sole purpose of a poll? :decline:

Absolutely not. There's a wealth of statistics to be harvested.

But if the primary guide to voting was the descriptions and not the numbers (and in any case, you need some kind of frame of reference to assign a number score to PoE), then it would be impossible to draw any useful conclusion from the collected results of the poll.

And even if you know the frame of reference (what you are grading PoE as - as a game, as a RPG, as a RPG of a select incline group of RPGs...) we need to know the distribution of the scores. There are several methodologies for scoring.

For example with one reference point: suppose you compare every game to BG1, which is defined as a "5". Score 10 signifies a game 3 or more times more interesting than BG, score 1 a game 0,3 times as interesting or less.

With zero reference points: all games are divided equally into 10 score categories. Or maybe they are not divided equally, but according to some normal distribution centered on 5. My experiences with movie scoring sites suggests that this approach fits human psychology well.

With two reference points: Score 1 is defined as the score of a generally agreed upon worst game (say, Lionheart) and score 10 as a generally agreed upon best game (Torment). All other games are placed between them depending on whose quality they are the closest to.

In any case, scoring with arbitrary sentences as Hatred suggests is a very lousy way of scoring a game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Average score of all 300 non-copout votes in the poll as of this writing: 7.83/10

Quite accurate.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
In any case, scoring with arbitrary sentences as Hatred suggests is a very lousy way of scoring a game.
Better than just scoring it against whatever RPG's ArchAngel has played in the last ten years. I don't mind scoring a game versus other games. I just think his method of it just being RPG's he has played in the last ten years is bullshit. Feel free to point out where I put forwards J_Cs poll as the optimal method for scoring games.
You do be making assumptions again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Better than just scoring it against whatever RPG's ArchAngel has played in the last ten years. I don't mind scoring a game versus other games. I just think his method of it just being RPG's he has played in the last ten years is bullshit. Feel free to point out where I put forwards J_Cs poll as the optimal method for scoring games.
There is no perfect or unison scoring system and anyone that says otherwise is a liar. Every fucking living person that gives a score to any entertainment piece of anything is doing it subjectively using completely personal and unique scoring system. Even if you write 100 sentences to explain each number on scale from 1 to 10 everyone will still score using their own life experiences and preferences. This is why a jury is made of 20+ people and not one.
This is why I give more relevance to user scores on metacritic (over critic scores as they are only a few) or Steam scores as they come from a larger pool of people.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
There is no perfect or unison scoring system and anyone that says otherwise is a liar. Every fucking living person that gives a score to any entertainment piece of anything is doing it subjectively using completely personal and unique scoring system. Even if you write 100 sentences to explain each number on scale from 1 to 10 everyone will still score using their own life experiences and preferences. This is why a jury is made of 20+ people and not one.
This is why I give more relevance to user scores on metacritic (over critic scores as they are only a few) or Steam scores as they come from a larger pool of people.
I actually agree with you on the points you have made as quoted above. I just thought your rule of "only RPG's in the last 10 years" was super personal and arbitrary. I'm disinclined towards any kind of system which will give PoE a pass since I personally think it is rubbish. I also realise its just my opinion that its rubbish clearly. The critical and financial success it has achieved is pretty easy to see.
Edit:failure at spelling

ArchAngel

Arcane
My personal score means little to anyone but me. The overall average score of all 300 voters is only thing that matters

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ahem.

There have been claims that polls such as these are tainted by what's known as a "honeymoon period".

With that in mind, I encourage people to change their vote in this poll if they feel that's justified.
I already did change it from a 9 to a 10 though.

I initially gave it just a 9 because I thought I was affected by the honeymoon period.

rado907

Savant
Before replaying BG1&BG2: 9/10.
After replaying BG1&BG2: 8/10.

Game could've been a lot better, imo. But it's the closest approximation to IE glory that we've seen in more than a decade.

Catfish

Learned
i like the music a lot, although at times it gives me some very suspicious deja-vus

Man, this was bugging me so much! And I'm almost positive at least some of the queues are like note for note themes from Gothic 3, just in a minor key :)

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I'm finally done after some 80 hours of play. I'm giving this game a 7.5, however this is not an IGN-like scale where everything below 9.0 is shit. It translates into "good game with some major weaknesses that drag it down and too few high points to completely forget about the annoying stuff ".

My biggest complain is the amount of trash combat, this game needs its number of combat encounters to be reduced by 50% or so. The way that wilderness and dungeons have been populated is completely insane and indefensible.

Second biggest complaint is poor pacing in act 2 and parts of act 3.

I enjoyed:
the story (apart from the bad pacing. The story starts very intrigueing in act 1 and picks up in act 4, problem is there is not much going on story-wise in act 2 and 3, The largest part of the game)

the lore (especially the gods)

the companions (i didn't recruit pallegina and the orlan so i cant say much about them). The only truly exceptional ones were durance and GM, however all companions were genuinly interesting and likeable

the character system

the combat system in case of challenging encounters (too few unfortunately)

the graphics art design and music

and a lot of smaller details.

Good game and an impressive effort by Obsidian but I hope for some major improvements in the expansions and sequels.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom