Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Baldur's Gate sucks?

GoldLeader

Scholar
I just read that dude's whining thread, and i got interested. I haven't played any BG's but my best friend says that they're the most awesome RPG's ever. He showed me his theater managing quest as a bard, and that mage's school quest as a mage, and they seemed cool. The game appeared to have many dialogue options and interesting storyline. So, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH BALDUR'S GATE?

I just need some arguments, with which i can make my friend FINALLY stop whining about how bad, in his opinion, fallout was. His fav fallout game was Fallout Tactics. And he keeps pissing me off with this.

No, he doesn't have a cat, and he's not a jew.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If his fav game was Fallout tactics, why do you give a damn shit about his opinion?
It's obvious he can't be taken for serious ;)

Anyway... I, too, would like to know what people think sucks so much about that brillant game...

And I'm talking about BG2 + ToB... BG1 really wasn't as good as it's sequel.

Raapys

Arcane
It doesn't.

Probably just a 'popular opinion' on these forums.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Because it had all the flaws of a Bioware game?

Like standard bioware dialog options:

I'm good!
I'm teh ebil!
Leave me alone!

Or a retarded interface? Crappy real time combat? A horde of combat on almost every step? Shallow NPCs and TEH ROMANCEZ?

Not to mention all the flaws of AD&D(thank WOTC for the 3rd edition).

Don't get me wrong it has some good sides like the class strongholds and sometimes some nice quests. But it's nowhere near as good as Fallout or Planescape: Torment.

Lemunde

Scholar
I think most people really like Baldur's Gate and other similar games because it's an attempt to try to bring all the good things about table top RPGs to the PC. A noble enough venture. But once you put the story, dialog, characters and artwork aside there isn't really much game left.

Let me try to explain this another way. There's two types of RPGs and many RPG gamers prefer one or the other. There's the hardcore RPG that focuses as much as possible on letting the player play a role. Baldur's Gate is a good example of this. Then there's the dungeon crawler RPG that focuses as much as possible on letting the player play the game. Diablo is a good example of this.

The real problem is there hasn't really been an RPG that's capable of merging the two. So you end up with a dividing line between the hardcore's and the dungeon crawlers. The dungeon crawlers are not going to like Baldur's Gate very much because it's missing all the elements that they think a good RPG should have.

Baphomet

Scholar
Baldur's Gate was alright. I felt it was worth the money I paid. As others have pointed out, it would have been improved if ethical questions weren't resolved down to evil choice / good choice.

Not to bad games. Sure, the dialouge sucks and and the freedom of real choice isn't exactly there (Is there a game really like that anyway?). But the character development and the equipment you can acquire rocks.

I remember back in my deep geeky days I used to read Raymond E. Feist books and play Baldur's Gate 2 constantly.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hellraiser said:
Because it had all the flaws of a Bioware game?

Like standard bioware dialog options:

I'm good!
I'm teh ebil!
Leave me alone!

Yes that's true, some dialog options were too... confining. But it really wasn't THAT bad. I mean.. it's no comparison to the good-or-evil options in KOTOR...

Hellraiser said:
Or a retarded interface? Crappy real time combat? A horde of combat on almost every step? Shallow NPCs and TEH ROMANCEZ?

I don't see what was wrong with the interface? I found it quite intuitive...
The combat, well it was the usual real-time with pause. Some people don't seem to like it, I don't know why.
The number of monsters really wasn't too much. I don't know in which corners you stepped, but I played this game through like 4 or 5 times and haven't found so much that it got disturbing.

Shallow NPCs? Irenicus anyone?

Hellraiser said:
Not to mention all the flaws of AD&D(thank WOTC for the 3rd edition).

This is true, some things there really were annoying. But not enough to ruin the game ;)

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
1. Generic fantasy plot (TM)
2. Generic fantasy characters (TM)
3. Generic dialogue options

The game is too... generic. You always know what the certain character will say/do, what outcomes the certain quest has, plot "twists" are easy to foretell... And it's strongly focused on combat. Peaceful resolutions are for sissies!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Lestat said:
The game is too... generic. You always know what the certain character will say/do, what outcomes the certain quest has, plot "twists" are easy to foretell... And it's strongly focused on combat. Peaceful resolutions are for sissies!

It's a fucking generic fantasy WORLD! What else can you expect? Such a world has rules and all those rules were obeyed...
If you play a D&D game and don't expect generic figures, there's nobody who could help you...

TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Before you became a doubleagent in the Nazi/Zionist movements?

Secret AAAGENT man
Secret AAAGENT man

Zog must be crushed so we can live free as a white race, to live without fear or guilt, to live as a whole who ourselves command the state.

Flink

Liturgist
BG doesn't suck. It's way better then most of the crap that's been released in the last six years.

Joe Krow

Erudite
BG2 wasn't bad. I think all it really lacked was world changing consequences. Also, many of the dialogue choices were illusiory. It was still better then 90% of the games out there though.

Lumpy

Arcane
thesheeep said:
It's a fucking generic fantasy WORLD! What else can you expect? Such a world has rules and all those rules were obeyed...
If you play a D&D game and don't expect generic figures, there's nobody who could help you...
What kind of retarded excuse is that? It's a great game, because it sucks just as much as all other games of its kind?

Lemunde said:
Let me try to explain this another way. There's two types of RPGs and many RPG gamers prefer one or the other. There's the hardcore RPG that focuses as much as possible on letting the player play a role. Baldur's Gate is a good example of this. Then there's the dungeon crawler RPG that focuses as much as possible on letting the player play the game. Diablo is a good example of this.

The real problem is there hasn't really been an RPG that's capable of merging the two. So you end up with a dividing line between the hardcore's and the dungeon crawlers. The dungeon crawlers are not going to like Baldur's Gate very much because it's missing all the elements that they think a good RPG should have.
Stupid Bullshit. I'm not a dungeon crawler, and I hate Baldur's Gate because it's ALL about dungeons and not about role-playing or dialogue. It's a stupid shallow mindless game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay, how many old RPGs were about "Role-playing" or "Dialogue"? Don't forget where your roots are. Lands of Lore! Wizardry! Goldbox! Does your fancy new RPG definition suddenly make all the old RPGs non-RPGs?

[I am not saying Fallout-like RPGs are bad, I am merely saying that the word "RPG" isn't limited to those games.]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom