Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Stasgard

Liturgist
I hope this was enough to derail the RP talk.

No chance.

WoW is a shit game for RP purposes. Most of it is freaks doing ERP. If the game were structured more like UO then I could see it but it's essentially just a dungeon crawler/time sink pit.

Sad but true.

Which is why my old RP guild on EU-Moonglade built the guild RP around the raid content and encouraged members to weave their character stories into it. So it turned raiding from a stressful grind into a fun RP activity.

Well, if you're looking for RP AD and Defias Brotherhood are your only options. All the other realms died collectively during Wrath.

WrA was good Horde side during Cataclysm, we had some pretty good player driven plots going on at the time. But yeah, it's pretty much gone to the dogs now. If I come back to the game for the next expansion, I might check out AD or DB. Cheers for the suggestions.

Mask

Literate
I hope this was enough to derail the RP talk.
You aren't interesting or important enough to derail a topic.

How's AG server for Horde RP specifically? Or has it been balanced out with time? Back in my day, some servers were better for RPing for different factions

Aildrik

Savant
I am finding that players, at least in the raiding space, are dropping like flies lately. I have been in two semi-casual raid guilds this expac and in both of them, many players just stopped logging in. I can't say I blame them. WoW seems to be turning into an amalgamation of little mini games. You have pet battle stuff, you have the Farmville™ that is your Garrison (which makes money and herb/ore collecting a total joke) and related missions but aside from that I am finding the content to be a bit lacking. I used to be a lot more into PvP but ... just f*ck Ashran and its ridiculous queue.

Also, has it been determined if 6.2 will be the final raid tier of WoD? It seems we are bringing the legendary ring quest chain to its conclusion. Can we expect a 6.4 raid?

Revenant

Yep, WoD will supposedly have only two raid tiers, and the Hellfire Citadel (patch 6.2) is the first raid of the second tier.

As for what you said about the current status of the game, it is mostly true, however, the keyword there was that your raiding guilds were semi-casual. LFR and normal mode raiding is pretty boring - if you want any challenge, proceed straight to heroic (and then mythic), and that requires a non-casual guild. Which aren't exactly either easy to get into or long lived, sadly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
an amalgamation of little mini games
Bingo. It was slowly creeping up in the last couple of expansions but hit with full force now.

Also, Hellfire Citadel is probably the only raid of the second tier. What else do you think they'll have other than Archimonde as the final boss?

Norfleet

WoW is a shit game for RP purposes. Most of it is freaks doing ERP. If the game were structured more like UO then I could see it but it's essentially just a dungeon crawler/time sink pit.
Wait, you seem to be implying there's a distinction between "RP" and "ERP". In my extensive experience stretching all the way back to the BBS days, there is no such distinction and the "E" is wholly redundant. Once you get beyond the basic surface level of maintaining a basic character concept and playing the damn game, IT ALWAYS GETS CREEPY. Why? Because that's how real life works: Fight It, Fuck It, or Feed On It. Therefore, outside of interactional contexts in which, as characters, you're fighting each other, and then possibly eating the corpses of the deceased, there's only one thing left. Ask yourself if there's anything you do with anyone else that doesn't fit into this category. Even here on this forum, we're here arguing. That's a fight. That's what life is all about: Fight, Fuck, Feed. Since games generally don't make food a major concern, games distill the 3 Fs of real life down into 2: Fighting, and fucking. Fighting is already part of the game and generally defined to fall outside of "RP", therefore, the only domain left to RP is fucking. All RP is ERP.

Angthoron

Arcane
That's what life is all about: Fight, Fuck, Feed. Since games generally don't make food a major concern, games distill the 3 Fs of real life down into 2: Fighting, and fucking. Fighting is already part of the game and generally defined to fall outside of "RP", therefore, the only domain left to RP is fucking. All RP is ERP.
Wow. This is pretty deep.

Aildrik

Savant
Uh... Grommash Hellscream? He is on the expansion poster, after all.
It is indicated in the 6.2 raid that you rescue him during one of the encounters, so you don't really fight him per se. This could change of course but even the Legendary cinematic (without spoiling it entirely) pretty much indicates that Grom is being overthrown as Warchief of the Iron Horde.

As an aside, let me just say.... I f*cking hate...hate..HATE time travel as a story telling device. I hope somehow we resolve the entire WoD/alternate Draenor story and never deal with it again. Make the Titans come and re-originate the entire damn alternate universe or something. Blow it up, I never want to go back. Let's move on to more interesting lore.

Caim

Arcane
It is indicated in the 6.2 raid that you rescue him during one of the encounters, so you don't really fight him per se. This could change of course but even the Legendary cinematic (without spoiling it entirely) pretty much indicates that Grom is being overthrown as Warchief of the Iron Horde.

As an aside, let me just say.... I f*cking hate...hate..HATE time travel as a story telling device. I hope somehow we resolve the entire WoD/alternate Draenor story and never deal with it again. Make the Titans come and re-originate the entire damn alternate universe or something. Blow it up, I never want to go back. Let's move on to more interesting lore.
Then you must love the Warhammer setting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This. Grom is present in Hellfire, helps you kill Manoroth and dies fighting Archimonde. He's not going to be a boss. To be clear this comes from the sound files.

Grokalibre

Savant
Wait, you seem to be implying there's a distinction between "RP" and "ERP". In my extensive experience stretching all the way back to the BBS days, there is no such distinction and the "E" is wholly redundant. Once you get beyond the basic surface level of maintaining a basic character concept and playing the damn game, IT ALWAYS GETS CREEPY. Why? Because that's how real life works: Fight It, Fuck It, or Feed On It. Therefore, outside of interactional contexts in which, as characters, you're fighting each other, and then possibly eating the corpses of the deceased, there's only one thing left. Ask yourself if there's anything you do with anyone else that doesn't fit into this category. Even here on this forum, we're here arguing. That's a fight. That's what life is all about: Fight, Fuck, Feed. Since games generally don't make food a major concern, games distill the 3 Fs of real life down into 2: Fighting, and fucking. Fighting is already part of the game and generally defined to fall outside of "RP", therefore, the only domain left to RP is fucking. All RP is ERP.

You forgot tavern rp aka standing still & write a novel about how your character is drinking ale.

GreyViper

Prophet
Shouldn't this stuff be part of Caverns of Time and the hell is Blue Dragon flight doing, isn't this their realm to police.
Anyway having fun with Timeless Ilse, but explain me this what was the point of rising Onyxia lvl cap tp 85. Most of the stuff is the same as the old just lvl adjusted ?:retarded:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Blizzard has long since dropped the pretense that the mini games they do are part of the actual world.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shouldn't this stuff be part of Caverns of Time and the hell is Blue Dragon flight doing, isn't this their realm to police.
Anyway having fun with Timeless Ilse, but explain me this what was the point of rising Onyxia lvl cap tp 85. Most of the stuff is the same as the old just lvl adjusted ?:retarded:
If you think that's bad they are just now introducing 'timewalker' dungeons: old TBC and Wrath 5 mans level scaled to 100. And if you like Timless Isle, good news, they're repeating the same concept in WoD with Tanaan Jungle. Played a bit of it on the PTR last night and it's the exact same thing just bigger.

Norfleet

You forgot tavern rp aka standing still & write a novel about how your character is drinking ale.
That would be "foreplay". Why do you think people go and get drunk in real life? What do you think follows after the drinking?

GreyViper

Prophet
If you think that's bad they are just now introducing 'timewalker' dungeons: old TBC and Wrath 5 mans level scaled to 100. And if you like Timless Isle, good news, they're repeating the same concept in WoD with Tanaan Jungle. Played a bit of it on the PTR last night and it's the exact same thing just bigger.
Yep saw that and like i said their policy regarding Legendary items is BS. I mean the so called 'timewalker' dungeons could have been nice way to add the upgrade tokens for them, but nope.
Going to get all my alts to lvl 90 then ill see if and when ill go hunting for cheap WoD key.

Grokalibre

Savant
That would be "foreplay". Why do you think people go and get drunk in real life? What do you think follows after the drinking?

Seeing the amount of single guys hanging in pubs, let me guess: Massively Multiplayer Homosexual Gangbangs?

Norfleet

That's basically what it is, yes. After all, that's what "MMORPG" means: "Many Men Online Role Playing Girls".

Aildrik

Savant

If you liked Timeless Isle you are apparently in for a treat in 6.2 ;p Tanaan Jungle will apparently be another Timeless Isle type zone.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Naga, I just said that. I'll give them credit: Tanaan is huge and diverse. It's a pity it's wasted on filler end game content. The rares in the zone drop ilevel 650 blues. There's a raid boss in Kazzak but he has no loot table yet. There's toys and pets and other crap. Some new rep and a couple of semi-instanced areas not yet implemented. I wish they did stuff like this for leveling content rather than the railroaded garrison crap.

Aildrik

Savant
I am starting to feel very hopeless about the lore/story direction for WoW. I absolutely despised Pandaria. WoD has not been much better. Can we get some development on the Titan storyline? How many expacs has it been now that we keep finding their WMDs or discarded bases/tech but there has really been no movement on that story. I realize that it is really hard to allow players to interact directly with entities on the level of power of the Titans or Sargeras, so we end up mopping up minions and underlings instead (Algalon, Archimonde, etc). But seriously, isn't there enough remaining lore from Azeroth to develop? Did we really need Kung-Fu Panda and Back to the Future? How about Azshara? The Emerald Dream? Taking the fight to the Burning Legion and their homeworlds?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Lorewise Pandaria was far above Cataclysm. There were actually at least some vaguely interesting factions like Klaxxi.

Avellion

Erudite
So I got dragged into this game again by a friend, and right into the Argent Dawn server. So many retarded roleplayers, and I am joining their ranks (I need professional help). For the ones I deem the most offensive, I take a Mary Sue test on, and quite of them score quite "well" on it.

As for me? I am roleplaying a Grognard.

I am starting to feel very hopeless about the lore/story direction for WoW. I absolutely despised Pandaria. WoD has not been much better. Can we get some development on the Titan storyline? How many expacs has it been now that we keep finding their WMDs or discarded bases/tech but there has really been no movement on that story. I realize that it is really hard to allow players to interact directly with entities on the level of power of the Titans or Sargeras, so we end up mopping up minions and underlings instead (Algalon, Archimonde, etc). But seriously, isn't there enough remaining lore from Azeroth to develop? Did we really need Kung-Fu Panda and Back to the Future? How about Azshara? The Emerald Dream? Taking the fight to the Burning Legion and their homeworlds?

Not with Chris Metzen around. My friend speculate that the next expansion will involve the Burning Legion. Though I would argue that chances are, next expansion will be another thing that black dragon whelp does only to "prepare" us for the trials ahead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt Metzen does much anymore aside from general ideas and the occasional voice acting. Blizzard has (obviously) grown immensely sense the days of WC2/3 and WoW's initial launch. There's a few dozen lore monkeys that write this shit now. Pandaria and WoD are good examples of 'stalling' for time. They can't get to Titans and Sargeras anytime soon because, quite frankly, there's nothing after that.

Next expansion will probably have Guldan escape to 'real' Azeroth to Tomb of Sargeras where you'll fight him and some avatar of Sargeras (but not the real thing!). Rest of the expansion will be Azshara/nagas/yet another old god. After that they'll probably throw in an expansion retaking Argus; the dranei homeworld now crawling with the Legion.

After you do South Seas there isn't any other place on Azeroth you can do that wouldn't be invented out of thin air. That's why you get these 'stall' plotlines that don't really take us anywhere except goofy locales like Pandaria or time travel, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom