Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can it, fanboi.

Redlands

Arcane
See, if this had been a decent adventure game, the standard of insults would have been higher. Instead, we've got 3 pJ_Cs - 2 pERYFKRADs. :decline: indeed.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
AdventureGamers gives 4.5/5, praising the puzzles in particular:

I solved most puzzles on my own with an a-ha! revelation and a deep sense of satisfaction; the two times I consulted a walkthrough, it turns out I was this close.

Meanwhile, PC Gamer:

Puzzles in particular aren’t a high point in the first half, but are largely forgettable. The later ones are markedly worse. Far too many mistake time-wasting for difficulty, with endless traipsing back and forth, dealing with needlessly obstructive characters or mechanics (particularly in the final puzzle, which is tooth-grinding in its over-deliberate fussiness), and developing an obsession with rewiring robots through the most tedious trial and error.

Note to Pyke: do not send out any review copies without a full walkthrough attached.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Fuck - Stasis doesn't even have hot spot highlighting. These reviewers are gonna suffer!

*edit* The launch conditions are all up to my brother who is handling the marketing - but a big part of me doesn't even want to send out review copies. I have this romantic idea of people all experiencing the game at the exact same time - and if they ARE stuck, working through it with other people on forums or on twitter...perhaps throwing out a clue to a person instead of an answer.

BAs scores seem to be pretty high - but I have to wonder if 'forcing' reviewers to power through the game to get their reviews out on time has killed some of the magic in the game - and that comes across in the negatives in the reviews.

That 'aha!' moment that the Adventure Gamers review made was stolen from them by deadlines and a walkthrough. Those are the moments that make these games fun.

Sure most puzzles, when you read them on a walk through seem 'wtf was the designer thinking???' - but when you get into the flow of the game world and figure those things out for yourself... THOSE are the awesome moments. THOSE are the parts that I remember when thinking back to the classics.

Reading 'and then you use a stick to knock an alien banana into the river, grab the banana, hide in a hollowed out log and wait for the right time to jam it in the androids tailpipe' is a ridiculous thing to read...but figuring that out for yourself is awesome. That damned airlock maze in Space Quest 5, or the fossil puzzle in The Dig, or the flag-costume in Day Of The Tentacle. I remember EXACTLY where I was when I finally did the Homing Beacon puzzle in SQ6 (sitting in detention in school).

I've played games with a walk through - and honestly I cant really remember specific puzzle moments in the games. I know that I've robbed myself of those moments...but there is something just 'iffy' about a reviewer doing the same - and then recommending or slandering the game.

A reviewer playing Alien: Isolation on god mode would have a VASTLY different experience to a reviewer playing it with the fear of death. Its an integral part of the design...as integral as puzzles are to an adventure game.

Or maybe I'm just rambling because I'm tired.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fuck - Stasis doesn't even have hot spot highlighting. These reviewers are gonna suffer!
giphy.gif

You will carry on just as planned, no need to dumb down your game for retarded journos.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Shack News, 7/10:

The main complaint with Broken Age is that some of the puzzle solutions feel a little too obtuse. There was more than one solution where I not only wondered how the average person would come up with it, but even wondered how it even made sense. Not only did some of those solutions come out of the blue, but some of them even felt arbitrary. The puzzles on Vella's side of the story are particularly tough and require some precision timing, as well as some brain work. Shay's puzzles, on the other hand, require some heavy memorization at points. It wouldn't be so much of an issue, but the game offers few hints on how to proceed, which had me running around in circles for quite a while.

With more focus placed on memorization and obtuse solutions, it felt like Broken Age emphasized its inventory innovations a little less. I didn't feel there were as many chances to mix inventory items together to craft new concoctions. The narrative didn't suffer for this, however, so it's ultimately a minor transgression that can be looked past.

The bolded words are all negatives. And I must have missed the memo on what Broken Age's "inventory innovations" in Act 1 were. Was it just... combining items?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That basically describes the entire site, doesn't it? One of their staff once contacted me because I had given a half-star user rating to a Telltale "game" and they asked me if I had, by chance, misclicked. There was nothing wrong with a low user rating, no, but it seemed likely that I had made a mistake since the game was so widely acclaimed.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah. I don't want to throw too much shade, but I do often find their site to be inconsistent with adventure games, especially considering the name is "Adventure Gamers". But it's not my site, and I won't tell them how to run it.

My personal opinion on Broken Age definitely reflects this opinion: nice looking graphics, good voice acting, thin plot and pretty poor adventure game. It's not total shit, but if I had to star rate it, it'd be 2.5/5 at most. I don't think too many people will look back at this one in the pantheon of adventure games and fondly remember it.

Bt

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That basically describes the entire site, doesn't it? One of their staff once contacted me because I had given a half-star user rating to a Telltale "game" and they asked me if I had, by chance, misclicked. There was nothing wrong with a low user rating, no, but it seemed likely that I had made a mistake since the game was so widely acclaimed.

They even have their own store. Seriously, WTF?! :lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What happened to the "Act 2 is twice the length of Act 1"?

Easily achieved:

I can’t do the %#$@&! wire sequence with Shay, I am looking at the picture, I have even looked at how ign did it, and it doesn’t %#$@&! work. How the %#$@&! do you do this %#$@&! thing?

Alright I’ve done it but it took almost a full hour. Shame on you Double Fine

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The knives are coming out on the double fine boards:

ACT 2 is outright unfair, an unstructured, dreadfull mess

Started with Shay. Got dumped in a “you need 5 puzzle strands solved to proceed” setup. Is that good game design?

I started to wander around, and had 12+ game screens instantly open up to me - with no direct puzzle clues what soever. Slowly deduced some of them, then found that they were layered, preventing me to proceed with others, until some gamedesigner would find it fitting to spring an object. Solved one puzzle, then got hit over the head by a hint, that the other one I had leads to would only be solveable with knowledge from the second part, I hadnt even started yet.

So I started Vella, where the puzzles are actually structured in some kind of puzzle rooms, where easily solveable, allthough the plot went haywire, but ok… And then suddenly stuck. Because I had found the solution to one puzzle in the kitchen so fast, that I skipped the “training effect” of what else is possible in the kitchen area. If you do - you are effed, because at this point you have about ten screens, five additional ones in xxx, and in one of them in the xxx environment, 5x2 different world states. This is not gamedesign, this is needle in a haystack structuring. Found what I was missing, with minimal spoilers on the net (xxx). Also, this puzzle layered the solution to one of the other (major) puzzles in (spawned an item) - so again, the gamedesigners are forcing you to abandon one clue string, just out of spite.

Then suddenly, hardstop - you can only continue, if you have found some xxx with Shay. Up until know have gotten no clue on how to solve Shays hard limit puzzle and hit the next hard limit with Vella.

This is the worst game design I probably have ever seen in an adventure. If you are thinking, that the majority of people willcontinue through this mess of a design structure, you are more than mistaken. Also, none of the puzzles so far were what you’d call “intelligent” or fun. So, to add insult to injury…

If you hadnt sent walkthroughs to reviewers, they probably would have seen the structure that is in place for what it is. A bad, bad joke.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16907/

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The knives are coming out on the double fine boards:

ACT 2 is outright unfair, an unstructured, dreadfull mess

Started with Shay. Got dumped in a “you need 5 puzzle strands solved to proceed” setup. Is that good game design?

I started to wander around, and had 12+ game screens instantly open up to me - with no direct puzzle clues what soever. Slowly deduced some of them, then found that they were layered, preventing me to proceed with others, until some gamedesigner would find it fitting to spring an object. Solved one puzzle, then got hit over the head by a hint, that the other one I had leads to would only be solveable with knowledge from the second part, I hadnt even started yet.

So I started Vella, where the puzzles are actually structured in some kind of puzzle rooms, where easily solveable, allthough the plot went haywire, but ok… And then suddenly stuck. Because I had found the solution to one puzzle in the kitchen so fast, that I skipped the “training effect” of what else is possible in the kitchen area. If you do - you are effed, because at this point you have about ten screens, five additional ones in xxx, and in one of them in the xxx environment, 5x2 different world states. This is not gamedesign, this is needle in a haystack structuring. Found what I was missing, with minimal spoilers on the net (xxx). Also, this puzzle layered the solution to one of the other (major) puzzles in (spawned an item) - so again, the gamedesigners are forcing you to abandon one clue string, just out of spite.

Then suddenly, hardstop - you can only continue, if you have found some xxx with Shay. Up until know have gotten no clue on how to solve Shays hard limit puzzle and hit the next hard limit with Vella.

This is the worst game design I probably have ever seen in an adventure. If you are thinking, that the majority of people willcontinue through this mess of a design structure, you are more than mistaken. Also, none of the puzzles so far were what you’d call “intelligent” or fun. So, to add insult to injury…

If you hadnt sent walkthroughs to reviewers, they probably would have seen the structure that is in place for what it is. A bad, bad joke.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/16907/
Retards can't play an adventure game more complex than...well ... Act 1 of Broken Age. How shocking.

Divinity: Original Sin

RPGMaster

Savant
When you read the credits on this mf-er you quickly realise how it so quickly went over budget. Talk about bloat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom