Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

thesoup

Arcane
DraQ
You totally forgot the most important mods - loverslab mods.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
DraQ: Does the "gameplay unfucker" mod also unfuck the dungeon design, or is there such a mod? i.e the copy-paste-like nature. The retard-friendly puzzles. The convenient circuit layout, the lack of overall challenge and variety (traps, navigation, platforming, level-scaled mobs etc)?
Aside from the shitty gameplay systems, I really disliked the dungeons most. Sure Morrowinds weren't much better but at least they more interesting in terms of the above.

Angels of heaven, nobody WANTS anything for free. We downloaded mods BECAUSE they were free.
MODDERS, GET A FUCKING GRIP!
We won't PAY for your shitty titty mods.
It was fun while it lasted, now GO GET A JOB

Some mods are more worthy than AAA products. Seek them out. Too many people associate & define mods as some cosmetic crap made in a day.
Just so it is clear, I am anti-paid mods. I don't want business to rape this one last remaining creative outlet in gaming. But there are certainly mods that are worth AAA retail or DLC price.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just dumping some more stuff.. How quickly people can completely flip on a dime when money is involved.

Things have mostly died down but I am keeping a vigilant watch on the communities I know about.

nightsay said:
I'm going to end on this note which I worded to another well-known modder.

I've always modded in the past for myself. I made mods I wanted for me and then shared them for free on the Nexus out of pure charity. Yes, I made the mods for selfish reasons but giving them away for free was just me being nice. I’ve even gone a step further with such charity on multiple occasions by catering those mods I gave away to fit the desires of the community. I don’t even use some of the body types I’ve converted my mods to work with but someone asked me to do it and I did.

What do we get for being nice? Nothing because nothing was expected as it was entirely an act of charity. We asked for nothing and with the exception of a simple thank you here and there, we got nothing in return. Though for all that charity that we offered and all that free stuff we just gave away, it was not without consequence. We built up and unknowingly supported the mentality that mod developers don't deserve anything and that all mods should be free. This was of course not our intent but that's what we did by releasing our mods out of charity. We are partially to blame for creating this mentality.

Since paid modding was taken away, I have taken the time to really consider the events that have transpired over this event. While I had not received any money from paid mods, eventually I would have because my work would have sold, of that I am certain. My free mods would have remained free and I had planned to also release a mod for free ever so often simply out of charity for those who could not afford my paid mods. Also because doing so would help keep the quality of my work well known. Such an act would have been like a trend and I can be fairly certain other authors that offered paid content would have taken to such a practice.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the anti-paid mod community just took money out of my pocket. That is how I see it and that is exactly what they did. For all my charity, this was the thanks that we modders have received. We had an opportunity to earn money doing something that we love to do but because we were so charitable in the past… the opportunity was ripped from our grasp. Gee, thanks a lot guys and gals... real uncool.

My free mods would have always remained free and I would have continued to throw a few more free mods out there from time to time. Now none of my mods are available, not even my free ones. Such charity caused me to lose an opportunity that would have been a ‘dream come true.’

Now it’s not the last you’ve seen of ol’ Nightasy. I’ll still make tutorials and teach people how to make mods. I’ll still continue to answer mod related questions but I won’t be one to give mine away. Not anymore, not after this. You can call it whatever you want but I call it being made aware.

Anyone can have any opinion they want about me regarding my stance. I am officially done responding to hate. I am officially done giving away my mods. Until paid modding has returned I will no longer offer free mods. I encourage other mod authors to take the same stance. Until we show that we deserve our freedom to choose we won't be heard. They all had a choice not to buy our mods and we should have a choice to offer them for free or for sale regardless of our percentage of the cut. I will not roll over, I will defend my rights as an artist.

:butthurt:

So because paid mods were stopped, he will refuse to mod at all, when the original reason he modded at all was for passion and a desire to see the game have a new vision that he himself wanted.
He will continue to offer tutorials and teach people to make mods (For a 5 dollar subscription per month on his shit website of course)

He also encourages all other modders to follow suit and stop modding as a form of protest until we the consumer base cave and allow paid modding to exist. (I think he realizes that his mods disappearing from nexus caused about as much of a ripple as a fart in a tornado)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's p funny that this VERY COMMUNITY, 'solved' mod conflicts by the only sane way possible, that is a expert system way back in morrowind times with mlox (last update 5 days ago). It autoresolves selected mod orders, shows unresolvable incompatibilities, and warns of new versions or better 'replacements'.

If steam wants to sell mods i expect AT LEAST the same service.
But i wouldn't get that. You'd need to pay at least one real person to create rules engage with the community testers and test mods and rules. Instead i'd expect inane 'bundles' that is selling 20+ unrelated mods in a 'tested' modlist.
Oh wait, that is what actually happened.

Last edited:

dieu

Learned
Just dumping some more stuff.. How quickly people can completely flip on a dime when money is involved.

Things have mostly died down but I am keeping a vigilant watch on the communities I know about.

nightsay said:

:butthurt:

So because paid mods were stopped, he will refuse to mod at all, when the original reason he modded at all was for passion and a desire to see the game have a new vision that he himself wanted.
He will continue to offer tutorials and teach people to make mods (For a 5 dollar subscription per month on his shit website of course)

He also encourages all other modders to follow suit and stop modding as a form of protest until we the consumer base cave and allow paid modding to exist. (I think he realizes that his mods disappearing from nexus caused about as much of a ripple as a fart in a tornado)

Let's see what this guy produced...

nightasymods.png

UNP body type. I wonder what that might be?
nightasy.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ: Does the "gameplay unfucker" mod also unfuck the dungeon design
No.
or is there such a mod?
I don't think so.

i.e the copy-paste-like nature.
Dude, if there is anything you can't accuse Skyrim's dungeons of it's lack of diversity. I can recognize even most unremarkable dungeons at first glance and have had ample opportunities to check that.
They are definitely NOT copypasted.
The retard-friendly puzzles.
My working hypothesis is that someone at Beth simply didn't grasp the concept of puzzle when they were making Skyrim.
:prosper:
Also not that I know of.
The convenient circuit layout
Nope.
the lack of overall challenge and variety (traps, navigation, platforming, level-scaled mobs etc)?
Yes, Requiem "deadlifies" traps and, in some cases hides trap triggers, so you need to be on a lookout for actual traps and always ready to dodge whatever you might trigger.
It also removes scaling, un-derps the AI, makes different enemy types more distinct, increases lethality of combat, boosts high level opponents and places some unique ones.

Aside from the shitty gameplay systems, I really disliked the dungeons most. Sure Morrowinds weren't much better but at least they more interesting in terms of the above.
Running around and killing things is definitely more interesting with Requiem than it ever was in Morrowind.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The dungeon design is so horrible that there's no reason to play Skyrim other than jerk off. There, I said it.

Khajiit tits or Argonian tits, which is better and why? Discuss!!

*assuming both are using the Beastfolk Improved Models GOLD EDITION, available for $20 at the workshop

nightsay said:
I’ve come to the conclusion that the anti-paid mod community just took money out of my pocket. That is how I see it and that is exactly what they did.

A product that no one wanted to buy counts as a lost sale? Now, where did I hear that one before...?

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Dude, if there is anything you can't accuse Skyrim's dungeons of it's lack of diversity.

Visually-speaking they stepped up their game. Gameplay-wise on the other hand they went in the other direction. Morrowind's dungeons had verticality/platforming, sometimes hazardous swimming, sometimes they had interesting puzzles, they didn't have scaled enemies, not every dungeon was a mindless slog through dreughs (exaggeration), and of course they didn't have that almost guaranteed goddamn circuit layout. Gameplay-wise Skyrim's dungeons are very similar to each other and undemanding. This isn't an accusation.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nightsay continues his fight for freedom and boycotts Nexus of his wonderful mods.

posted @ 1:00, 30 Apr 2015
Nightsay said:
The reality is that the Purity mod would have generated the mod author over 1000 USD in 5 days alone. You can call that "a quantity of BS" but I call that 1000 USD. I know I could've easily been pulling in a couple hundred bucks a month at the very least.

The issue isn't the % that the mod authors were getting. The issue is that we had that right stripped from us. We had an opportunity stolen away from us. The majority of people opposed to paid modding weren't even modders. This is like fighting slavery in that we had no choice before but to offer all our mods for free but once we were given an option to make money it then became a matter of having the right to sell mods. Now this is a matter of our legal rights being taken away from us. We were legally being allowed to sell mods and now it has been made illegal to do so once again.

Nobody fought the matter before because no one suspected that Bethesda would support it. Once Bethesda did show that they supported modders selling their work they opened that door. You can't close that door, you just can't. Just like when slavery was made illegal in the north, you couldn't close that door and now slavery is illegal across the country. People should have the right to get paid for their work. Bethesda supports the modders having a right to choose whether or not they want to offer mods for a payment. This is because Bethesda is comprised of artists and artists believe in other artists having the right to sell their work.

That is the bare bones of it. This is a fight for artists rights to decide whether or not they want to charge for their work. Art can be free and art can cost money, that's how it should be. That Bethesda and Valve backed off is a shame because they let the fight against artists rights win. They threw modders rights under the bus and didn't stand their ground. That's metaphorically what they did. But freedom of choice wasn't given away over night. It's a matter of fighting for it and I have chosen my side because I am an artist and I believe in artists having rights. We should have the right to chose whether or not we want to sell a mod that we worked hard on and nobody, I MEAN NOBODY, should be allowed to take that right away from us.

Modders now need to band together and take a stand. We need to fight to get our rights back. We need to march, we need to voice, we need to petition and we need to strike. We didn't fight as hard because we didn't think we had to, we assumed that Bethesda and Valve would stand their ground in support of artists rights. As such Bethesda didn't hear us and only heard the anti-paid mod population. We were wrong to think that Bethesda and Valve would stand their ground and now we need to take action. I am striking by pulling out all free content for good until our rights are given back to us.

Slowly though.. Reality begins to shine through the cracks of his ego..

And thus ended the dreaded Nightsay 3 hour Boycott of 2015...

There were many casualties over the course of this three hour protest.. Someone reportedly visited his page by accident and saw no mods.. It was horrible

posted @ 3:50, 30 Apr 2015
Nightsay said:
I've decided that I won't be removing my mods that were here on the Nexus. After giving this matter more thought I decided that while some have shown they don't deserve free mods there are still those that do. Those that do deserve these free mods should not be punished because of what those that don't have done. These mods are my final contributions and I will not be updating them nor releasing anymore free mods. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you have fun with these mods that I gave away out of charity.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Best Regards,
Nightasy

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The dungeon design is so horrible that there's no reason to play Skyrim other than jerk off. There, I said it.

But why would you need Skyrim for that? Unless the emotional attachment to the game gives you extra kicks, you can get less awkward animations elsewhere with less hassle.

Weasel
"This is like fighting slavery...

Just like when slavery was made illegal in the north, you couldn't close that door and now slavery is illegal across the country...

Bethesda is comprised of artists and artists believe in other artists having the right to sell their work...

Modders now need to band together and take a stand. We need to fight to get our rights back. We need to march, we need to voice, we need to petition and we need to strike. "

:avatard:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
My working hypothesis is that someone at Beth simply didn't grasp the concept of puzzle when they were making Skyrim.

Of course not. They simply intentionally made them extremely basic to reach a larger audience. You can see the intentional dummyfication throughout most of the game's design.

DraQ

Arcane

Of course not. They simply intentionally made them extremely basic to reach a larger audience. You can see the intentional dummyfication throughout most of the game's design.
Nonono.
That might be the case if there were no puzzles.

There were puzzles though, it's just that someone didn't realize that the same puzzle repeated multiple times is no longer a puzzle.
:prosper:
Honestly, I would expect that, being a modder, you'd understand sheer lunacy better.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It absolutely is the case. Even manboons such as yourself need some variety in their entertainment, and that is what these "puzzles" serve as; a little something to add between the looting and fighting.

"Honestly, I would expect that, being a modder, you'd understand sheer lunacy better."

I'm as sane as a codexer could possibly be. Silence, manboon.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It absolutely is the case. Even manboons such as yourself need some variety in their entertainment, and that is what these "puzzles" serve as; a little something to add between the looting and fighting.

"Honestly, I would expect that, being a modder, you'd understand sheer lunacy better."

I'm as sane as a codexer could possibly be. Silence, manboon.

I play RPG's largely for my IMMURSHUNS..

I don't care about asset reuse or puzzles. I don't care if dungeons have varried biomes. "God another snowy cavern dungeon? JEeeze Bethesda.. Give me a desert dungeon!!"

As long as the dungeons feel "Lived In". I want to see things that make sense.. I was so happy when most of the Bandit hideouts would store loot in caged rooms and each cave had an outhouse or wooden bucket toilet. These small touches make me feel like im exploring a real place.

I don't need puzzles shoe horned in at every turn for the game to be enjoyable.. I mean look at the Oblivion Aedra dungeons or whatever they were called.. Those puzzles were obnoxiously tedious and boring as hell and the dungeons felt like card board cut outs. Even the enemies you found made no sense for the "lore".

I am exploring a lost dungeon with puzzles and traps untouched for thousands of years and each room has like 400 elves in body armor trying to kill me because reasons.. *clap clap*

Riso

Arcane
As a paradox Modder, I wouldn't mind a few bucks. But before I give some shit heads 75% for doing nothing from my work I rather give it away for free.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"I play RPG's largely for my IMMURSHUNS.."

As I say to Draq and others of this opinion, immersion should be the icing on the cake, not the absolute priority.
Immersion is a delicate thing. It is in no way worthy of prioritizing to the latter. Worthy of striving for as a designer, yes. Worthy of going "FUCK GAMEPLAY WE'LL MAKE DUMB ASS PUZZLES AND SIMLIFIED GAMEPLAY" for? No, fuck you.

mastroego

Arcane
Visually-speaking they stepped up their game. Gameplay-wise on the other hand they went in the other direction. Morrowind's dungeons had verticality/platforming, sometimes hazardous swimming, sometimes they had interesting puzzles, they didn't have scaled enemies, not every dungeon was a mindless slog through dreughs (exaggeration), and of course they didn't have that almost guaranteed goddamn circuit layout. Gameplay-wise Skyrim's dungeons are very similar to each other and undemanding. This isn't an accusation.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Actually you misquoted here, but I agree with Draq on this point.
Skyrim's dungeons are fine, actually better than those of most games.
Maybe you've just seen a few of the more ordinary ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom