Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty screens

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've never played King's Bounty. Looking at the screen shots reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic. A quick Wikipedia search revealed that King's Bounty was the inspiration for HoMM.

How does King's Bounty differ from the HoMM series?

Selenti

Liturgist
They're probably going for the "back to the roots" angle. So, basically, it wouldn't vary it all. All depends on how they execute it.

EliotW

Educated
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
How does King's Bounty differ from the HoMM series?

Travel the world map with a single army fighting mobs and sieging castles.

Top Hat

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Looks pretty similar to Heroes V.

Fixed.

The differences between the Heroes of Might and Magic series and the original King's Bounty are (from what I can't remember):

* There was only one "map" (technically four maps, but you have to find them in the same order) in King's Bounty, while Heroes had a variety of maps. (Although the treasure positions were randomized in King's Bounty which makes the game not completely deficient in replayability).
* You can only hire monsters from dwellings and the castle you start outside in King's Bounty; Heroes lets you hire things from any town. Also monsters don't necessarily replenish at the start of the new week (it depends on what "Week of" monster it is).
* Towns are upgradable in Heroes while castles are not in King's Bounty.
* Wandering monsters actually wander around in King's Bounty (which was added in Heroes IV, I can't remember if it's in Heroes V or not).
* To defeat the villains in King's Bounty you need siege weapons (for attacking any castle) and a contract with their face on it.
* Basically the grail quest in Heroes came from the main quest in King's Bounty, except it is to win the game rather than get a good artifact.

The hex grid looks very turn-based, which is good. Just like Heroes of Might and Magic. The question is, does it have depth?

Globbi

Augur
Top Hat said:
Vault Dweller said:

Fixed.
Not really. It is in 3d but everyting is in 3d now so it doesn't matter. The interface looks more like older HOMM - it doesn't cover much of the screen and still lets you see and have acces to everything you need. The character/army screen also has no tabs but you can see there alll the skills, artifacts, stats and units.

Top Hat

Scholar
Globbi said:
Top Hat said:
Vault Dweller said:

Fixed.
Not really. It is in 3d but everyting is in 3d now so it doesn't matter. The interface looks more like older HOMM - it doesn't cover much of the screen and still lets you see and have acces to everything you need. The character/army screen also has no tabs but you can see there alll the skills, artifacts, stats and units.

I've been a bit worried about my last post in this thread. I really wasn't that clear. It's just that the griffin looks a lot like the one in Heroes V. Although it's not surprising that they look the same when they're at approximately the same level of technology AND come from the same original idea!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Wait, is this the game original called "battle lord", or something like that, and was being made by Space Rangers II exiles? If so, I'm interested. Though, the gameplay looks remarkably different then SR2, which makes me less interested.

Full disclosure: I've decided I'm not a fan of the HoMM franchise. The problem? Combat was to straight forward with the guy with the bigger army (or at least with the most quality units) always winning. I would have like bigger battle fields with units have more tactical roles to play. Actual gameplay beyond that was just hording units to attack.

If I'm wrong, say so. I've got a bunch of the HoMM available to play again on gametap.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Play (the original) King's Bounty, GA. It's quite a different beast than HoMM, which I admit, aren't the best around.

Gwendo

Augur
The game is in real time (when navigating the map) and turn based in combats only.

EliotW

Educated
The original was not real time. The map was measured in squares. Every time you moved through one the enemy could do likewise. Mobs were stationary though only moving when they encountered your army.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I don't think the game is going to have a deep enough combat system to be worth playing, for me. Looks like HoMM, and that is *far* too shallow since there won't be a strategy component (probably wouldn't be good enough even if there was).

Gwendo

Augur
King's Bounty is Battle Lords. It was renamed to KB for some reason beyhond my comprehension.

But it's not a remake or even inspired in the original King's Bounty.

Balor

Arcane
But it's not a remake or even inspired in the original King's Bounty.
Oh possessor of an omniscient ass! Care to pull out winning numbers of the next lottery, so I can win $$$? :P
I mean, it was obviously inspired by KB (and developers of the game said that more then a few times BEFORE the namechange), so I have no idea where you got that idea from.
And it was renamed:
1. ... see above about it being inspired by KB.
2. Because they could. 1C somehow got rights for franchise.
All in all it looks like a good idea. I think they will manage a good sequel, heh.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Attrokkus, read this thread:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2218

and get thee immediately to Kautari studios and translate their fricking game for them. It'll be annoying as fuck if this one gets blighted with russkie pidgin-English. Balor and all you other former-commies on these boards please help out also. Thankyou.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Hah, I havent seen 1C perform any well in Russian->English format. 1C does not publish games worldwide, so they never do rus>eng translations (at least not any I know of). Regardless, I have no way to influence that, it's corporate stuff they do what is profitable.

EliotW

Educated
They established agreements to get their games into North America and Western Europe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom