Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm mega storyfag, and have high hopes, but if this turns out like when all the reviews claimed Kingdoms of Amalur had great writing, interesting and varied combat and expansive world im going to invoke Irish potato famine on their ass -- starve the children and keep the adults sober enough top watch.
As far as writing goes I don't think we will see anything better this year than PoE. Maybe Shadowrun HK managed to be better (I am not counting TToN as game that is coming out in 2015).

Astral Rag

Arcane

1248743195230491310.gif

Last edited:
What are the pros then? Or is that publication is like IGN in the sense that anything below 9.0 is shit?
There are no pros. Or rather meanwhileInPoland's mind sees only the flaws. He is funny like that. Maybe some jedi did a mind trick witcher used axii on him at some point.

PROS:
nicely designed, alive and well developed world;
extremely extensive content;
story;
well thought out sidequests;
engaging dialogues;
mass of references to the works of Sapkowski;
great freedom in character development and equipment;
choices that seem to be important;
artistic setting;
music.

naah mate in the sea of HYPE there must be some balance. and there is nothing better than hard and honest review from pollaks :salute:

What are the pros then? Or is that publication is like IGN in the sense that anything below 9.0 is shit?
pros:
- well crafted open world
- fuckton of content similar to GTA5
- good main quest
- nice sidequests
- good dialogues
- lots of references to Sapkowski`s novels
- lots of different builds and equipment for Geralt
- C&C seems to matter (apparently similar to mass effect 2 suicide mission :troll: )
- music and art are great

from actual text :
- in wild hunt you cant simply walk to every location on map. Skellige,that starting location(Bialy Sad), kaer morhen, wyzima are behind loading times
- geralt is treated like a fetch boy
- geralt somehow forgot everything he learned in TW2 :roll:
- combat is easy as fuck and boils down to spamming fast/strong attacks and roll
- shitty mounted combat
- graphix are good for what it is. nothing spectacular and water looked better 11 years ago in Half Life 2 :lol:
- lots of missing textures/npc appearing out of nowhere/missing minimap etc. he claims its almost as bad as AC:Unity :salute:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
http://www.gry-online.pl/S020.asp?ID=10464

based potatoes :kingcomrade:

8.5/10

cons:
-frame drops
-long loading times
-awfully restricted word with artificial barriers
-fuckton of bugs
-fuckton of npcs clones
-surprisingly shitty polish dubbing

the butthurt in coments section is as good as the one in Komorowski`s camp after first round of presidential elections

lol
Jeśli zapuścimy się w pobliże krawędzi obszaru, który przez autorów nie został zagospodarowany, Geralt wygłasza tekst mający zachęcić gracza do zaniechania dalszej eksploracji, a potem automatycznie aktywuje się mapa. Kiedy ją wyłączymy, Dziki Gon cofa nas do bezpiecznej pozycji i na tym koniec – dalej podróżować po prostu nie sposób. Prowadzi to do dość kuriozalnych sytuacji. Na północ od Novigradu znajduje się oznaczona markerem (a więc interaktywna) łódź, do której nie można podpłynąć, bo gra blokuje nas już z poziomu wody. Na zlokalizowanym zaledwie kilka metrów dalej lądzie wylądować da się bez większego problemu, ale tylko w jednym, konkretnym miejscu. O zwiedzaniu nowo odkrytej wyspy też nie ma mowy – znów bowiem napotykamy wspomniane ograniczenie. Nie miejcie zatem złudzeń. Chociaż na mapie widoczne są tereny, które teoretycznie znajdują się w zasięgu wiedźmina, w praktyce nigdy nie uda wam się do nich dotrzeć.
Źródło: http://www.gry-online.pl/S020.asp?ID=10464&STR=2

No wonder the game was downgraded ,fucking next gen consoles my ass ,one fucking years has passed and they already can't handle new games.Gta V was a first example that they just don't have enough juice to handle it (20-30 fps),they even downgraded the game through a patch to fix the framerates.
Why do people even bother buying those garbage cans,a 500-600$ pc poops on them from a mile away...

Atomkilla

Arcane
So, in a year, maybe two, once all the hype is settled, all expansions are released, every GOTY award is taken home to Potatoland, and game gets a fuckton of mods, we will have a solid RPGish title on our hands that may perhaps have solid writing and lots of boobs. Will be worth a purchase on a Steam/GoG sale, I guess.

I'm p cool with that. Just in time to upgrade my PC.
Incline?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Why in the world would you call an assassin for hire who tried to kill you and is partially responsible for the turmoil in the nest sir.

Maybe becouse he do that for his Witcher school. Maybe becouse Emhyr var Emreis, Deithwen Addan yn Carn aep Morvudd is the only one of few rules in the game that actuall show some heart for some people. (Books - Ciri, Geralt and Yen, Ciri double) Maybe becouse Emhyr was only guy around that don't let wizards lick his ass and make him their puppet. He is still... very kind guy. He saved Triss. (And that was why I just can't kill him in Iorweth way, after I go save Saskia. Fuck, I would be no different then any other motherfucker in Witcher world.)

How much other characters are 'good guys' in Witcher 2 and Letho is bad? Becouse we look at him from Geralt point of view. Foltest was cool guy, but he also forced Triss to become his adviser, forced Geralt to become his bodyguard.

Vernon and Iorweth are actually both idealist guys that just happend to be on other site of the war. I'm preety sure that they probably would get together if they would have some time to not kill each other and drink some vodka.

This is what Sapkowski wanted to create. This is dark world, full of motherfuckers that would sold their own grandpa for gold coin, people mad with power, wizards that want rule the world behind the thrones. There are only few 'good guys', but every from them have dark sites. It is grey world, with some black elements. Nothing is white, most is grey, some are black.

Why in the world would you call an assassin for hire who tried to kill you and is partially responsible for the turmoil in the nest sir.
Just because things have gotten ugly, there is no reason to be rude! Vesemir didn't raise mah Geralt to be an uncivilized barbarian towards fellow witchers. :obviously:

I want a monocle + tophat DLC.

Not sucking someone's dick =/= being rude. Don't call random hobos "sirs" unless you want to be a little bitch.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Polish sites seem to give the lowest scores. That gry-online review has very poor quality.
Poland is pretty tired of The Witcher hype (this game is on billboards, I do not remember any other game that was on billboards here), and also they have something to prove (objectivity - lol).

Not to say that the game deserves 10/10 GOTY, because it probably does not.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Gerstmann didn't like it, just that makes me think it's GOTY.

That guy wouldn't know Golden Pantaloons if they bit him on the nuts.

Perkel

Arcane
samedudewhoput last cod goty...

Watching the reviews and this videogamer review (without a score) is i think currently best one to watch. No fanboyism just pure facts and feelings from playing game pointing out problems etc. He plays on PS4 and apperently console retards will have ton of framedrops all over the place to deal with. I hope my i5 and 7970 will let me play TW3 at high (not ultra) at 60 at 1080

Gametrailers one is good one (honestly suprised)

WhiteGuts

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-5-observations-from-the-full-game/

Make no mistake: some of the characters you’ll encounter, and some of the locales you’ll visit in the Northern Realms, are incredibly bleak. It’s a cliche to compare epic fantasy adventures to Game of Thrones (and The Witcher itself is based on a series of novels), but there were a handful of scenarios in The Witcher 3 that made me squirm. Certain enemies and NPCs are horrible to look at, but do a little in-game research about their origins and you’ll be rewarded with even more horror.

Which is an excellent thing. The Witcher 3 is a very violent and very adult RPG, with laboured emphasis on the word “adult”. This world is genuinely destitute. Sidequests are less “collect five Nirnroot” and more “save helpless elderly lady from the ruthless thugs burning her house down”.

That doesn’t mean you’ll have no control over the type of Geralt you want to be: dialogue options sometimes let you choose between being “gruff and to the point”, “gruff and slightly charitable” or “gruff and contemptuous of all mankind”. While there’s no reductive morality system, these branching paths will usually hinge on what you determine is the best course of action. Naturally, the best course of action rarely works to the benefit of everyone, and in true dark fantasy fashion, it’s usually the weak who suffer. These decisions will also affect dialogue in less measurable ways, like, for example, your position on whether a domestically violent man deserves any sympathy. Oh boy, does it get complicated. It's a nasty game.

t’s intrigues like this—and the sordid, compromised nature of nearly all of the characters you’ll encounter—that makes The Witcher 3’s missions feel more like small feature films, and it’s the way Geralt comports himself in each of these that determines how much he reflects you. You won’t be able to shift Geralt’s ingrained dispositions, but you can influence them in interesting ways.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But bros, gaming mag reviews mean nothing in this day and age. The only relevant review is that of Angry Joe's.

I wish I was joking.

Meanwhile, the game is now 2nd on Steam best sellers list, behind GTA V, and the $80 version with expansion pass is at 4th place. :M

Last edited:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Hmm, there's a consensus about the game shining when you get out of the "critical path". That's pretty much what I was expecting. Also, the way they describe the world-building and sidequesting reminds me a lot of New Vegas, and that's the best praise a story-driven RPG can get in my book.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Bloodworth is one of the only good RPG reviewers in mainstream press and he gave it 9.8

I am pretty sure it will be awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom