Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes yes, I chose my words poorly. What I meant to ask was "is there any other BG port available"? Because the added content is so fucking bad, it's not even funny. I bought the BG 1 EE and OH BOY, that monk on Nashkell was fucking annoying. Good thing the Gnolls from the Gnoll Stronghold rid me of his dumbass. Adding shitty fanfic to a well established game is a HUGE "no-no".
There's this, but I've never tried it myself. Found a video with instructions on how to make it work.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes yes, I chose my words poorly. What I meant to ask was "is there any other BG port available"? Because the added content is so fucking bad, it's not even funny. I bought the BG 1 EE and OH BOY, that monk on Nashkell was fucking annoying. Good thing the Gnolls from the Gnoll Stronghold rid me of his dumbass. Adding shitty fanfic to a well established game is a HUGE "no-no".
There's this, but I've never tried it myself. Found a video with instructions on how to make it work.

YESS!!! This! Thanks! Will try it latter, after work. (yeah, I know, I'm not exactly running for "employee of the month" here)

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It works.

yTjxVDE.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
After briefly searching, it looks like the state of windows emulation on android is shit. But, it's relatively easy to install a linux distro on android, and from there use wine to run any IE games. There is a wine games database to help you with the settings.

If that sounds like gobbledygook, then you're better off getting the EEs. You can ignore the companions anyways.

waywardOne

Arcane
Anyone trying to push "lack of bugs" as a reason to favor EE, here ya go (from Beamdog forums, current patch as of April 30, 2015):

BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
This thread contains an updated list of the approved bug reports that have been posted for the current version of the game. Do not start a new thread for a bug if it is already listed here.

A Level
11133 [Android] Demogorgon should not cause the game to crash

B Level
10731 [All] German sounds should play when the language is set to German.
11032 Lizard man halberds should not fail to display
11062 [Dorn] Garfunkel should die after his final speech
11069 Water and lava overlays should be rendered correctly on Android devices
11084 Lich with Phreya should not be invincible
11085 Rasaad should not stop moving if the protagonist has a romance with both him and with Hexxat
11131 Game should not crash when loading a save where an injured enemy is leaving the area
11141 Neera's ToB quest should not prevent travel to the Throne of Bhaal
11155 Saemon Havarian should appear next to the pirate ship after leaving the Vulgar Monkey Inn
11175 Dorn should not stop moving if the protagonist has a romance with both him and with Hexxat

C Level
8604 You should not lose HP when you load the game while wearing the Pale Green Ioun Stone
11042 Sorcerer Quick Spell Slots should not reduce to 0 spells available after resting
11061 Increased APR from magical projectiles should not remain when they are depleted
11063 Characters should not be able to walk through the closed door to the noble djinn
11074 Bala's Axe should not say it is lowering magic resistance when you hit an enemy with it
11075 Viconia's level 13 incarnations should have 7 level 3 spell slots
11076 Quick Loot bar should not jump to the last items when earlier items are selected
11077 Black Pits 2 introduction and Resting Outside movie should appear in the Movies list
11078 Dorn should lose his Blackguard status & abilities if his patron is retributioned
11080 Response to Dorn in Lunia should not have No valid replies or links
11081 Tensers Transformation should apply the correct THAC0 bonus at levels 19-21
11086 Containers and unique items should not duplicate if characters are destroyed
11087 Wizard's Energy Blades ability icon should match the spell icon
11088 The Sleeper Morningstar should not look like a flail on the game screen toolbar
11089 Druid Elemental Summoning HLA should produce 16hd elementals with correct stats
11090 Loading a save with a charmed party member should not disable auto-pause: enemy sighted
11092 Auto-Pause: Enemy Sighted should not be automatically disabled
11093 Paladins should fall if reputation drops below 8
11099 Transition from SoA to ToB should not provide a new Helm of Balduran
11100 Party members should not be baulked by other party members when attacking enemies
11101 Enemies should not get stuck when attacking party members
11106 Saving and reloading as Nalia is kidnapped should not see her remain nearby
11110 [Rasaad] Tears of Selune encounter should not trigger if he is dead
11113 Actions taken when the game is paused should show on the character portrait
11115 Viconia should not stop responding after being told a game is being played
11119 Minsc should not repeat random comments after his berserk state wears off
11125 Dual Class imported characters should have the same hit points as when they were exported
11129 Biography text should not show when swapping armour mid combat
11130 Keldorn should not be turned by good-aligned clerics
11134 Creatures should not have BG1 weapon proficiencies
11136 The Slayer Change ability should not be available until after Irenicus flees Spellhold
11137 Throwing axes and throwing hammers should add strength bonus to damage when ranged
11138 Importing a generated character via the Play button should not clear their special abilities
11139 Poison weapon duration should match the description durations
11140 Polymorph other should transform targets to squirrels permanently
11164 [TBP2] The Salve of Senile Serenity should not be sellable for more than it costs to make
11168 [TBP2] Avenger spells should not be removed upon arrival to the Black Pits
11177 Stalker Minor Spell Deflection should not show Spell Turning icons
11179 Polymorphing twice should not lose equipped item benefits when returned to normal form
11227 Party members should not cancel movement if they are baulked by other party members
11229 Party members should not get stuck when moving around objects
11251 There should not be a duplicate response to Cuddy if strength and charisma are both > 13
11252 The Headband of the Devout should not be missing its description icon
11254 Armour should not affect the armour class of polymorphed characters if re-equipped
11255 Stalker Minor Spell Deflection should protect against spells of up to 7th level
11491 Aerie should not have studded leather armour in a quickslot
11492 Neera's staff should be identified
11494 Nalia should be able to cast a level 6 spell if she joins the party as a level 12 mage
11496 Daria pregen starts ToB with a minimal selection of spells
11497 Fil should have the correct voiceover lines to match the text dialogue
11498 Xachrimos voiceover should match his text responses
11543 Krotan's Skullcrusher +2 should injure stone golems
11573 Skald bard song should not double up AC and THAC0 bonus
11581 Blocking Phaere's exit should not lock the game in cut scene mode
11585 Wizard Slayer should apply 10% miscast magic on hit
11597 A visual effect should be shown when cold damage is applied
11610 Clerics dual classing to mage should not be granted weapon proficiencies they cannot allocate
11613 Unconscious targets should not wake up when attacked
11615 SoA cat familiar should travel at the same speed as party members
11627 Characters wearing the Night Walker boots should be immune to Web and Grease
11731 Cleric / Thief should be able to hide in shadows via the thief controlled script
11739 Druid Earth Elemental shape should be able to move consistently
11786 Watchers Keep Challenge Rooms should not be inaccessible
11815 Mazzy should not talk constantly when fatigued and Valygar is in the party
11892 Game should not close if Boo is selected from the inventory screen
12013 Pregenerated Fighter/Clerics should have a class description on character selection
12059 Monks imported from BG:EE should have the correct armour class
12065 Cloak of the Sewers Mustard Jelly form should use same stats Polymorph Self
12110 Kangaxx should not be invincible in normal form
12111 Gauntlets of crushing should apply a THAC0 modifier when shapeshifted form has natural weapons
12141 Party leader Detect Traps ability should not deselect if the follow quick formation is used
12142 Chaos Shield spells should not stack
12149 Thief Scout script should not target non-hostiles
12211 [Multiplayer] Malaaq should not remain in the starting area if a party of 6 is used
12232 Party members raised by Mass Raise Dead should gain additional healing
12289 Simulacrum should not disappear if the caster takes damage
12304 Familiars should not lose their familiar status after being dire charmed
12307 [BP2] Imprisoned enemies should not prevent a battle from completing
12308 Good Deva should be able to cast Chaos
12376 Combat music should play closing tags
12377 Opening music tags should be played
12380 Timestop should not produce graphical echoes
12401 Android] Throne of Bhaal ending movie should play
12580 Standard Attack AI script should not cancel requested actions
12604 Familiars should not prevent dialogues from starting

D Level
10247 Mirror Image should protect against poison unless a direct hit results
11079 Coran's cabin should have the same gather party requirements to leave as to enter
11094 Scrolling in small locations should not see the camera move back and forth
11095 Polymorph should change paper doll and avatar when in drow disguise
11097 NPC's should not say items are on the ground if they remain in transit
11098 Map Screen should not auto-close after area transition
11102 Trademeet statues should not be affected by dispel magic
11107 Rare selection sounds should only play when a character is repeatedly selected
11135 Nahal's Reckless Dweomer should have consistent casting time and description of casting time
11253 Joolon should not speak when casting Cloak of Fear
11493 The Amulet of Seldarine should be a similar size to other amulets
11495 Elephant hide should look as if it came from an elephant
11499 Flail of Ages +4 should use the correct icon on the Game Screen
12231 Chest in Vicross' estate should not appear as a body in the inventory bar
12303 Selection state of familiars should not be removed when loading a save

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
While the patch(es) do fix bugs that are exclusive to the EEs, it should be said that many of the bugs listed in the change logs were (and still are) present in the original games. Some of those bugs are engine related (hardcoded) but they are easy to fix for us due to our access to the source code. On the other hand, modders would have to create workarounds or alter the game executable (which can be quite difficult) in order to correct those issues.

That said, we do try to externalize (unhardcode) as much of the engine functionality as possible to make things easier for modders. For example, IWD:EE is significantly easier to mod than the original Icewind Dale was.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
From what little I played, BG1:EE on Android was a bug-free experience. But it looks like not buying BG2EE might be for the best, then...

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron

Tigranes

Arcane
Any new modification of software will introduce some new bugs, and what Avenger says about EE being able to fix older bugs is true.

My argument that EE is a silly purchase comes from the fact that it's twice the money for basically a tiny few improvements then a bucketload of why would you make the game worse 'improvements'.

Android emulation is still very imperfect, however, and so if you must play BG on your tablet EE would be the best option.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think I have about 15+ hours of playtime (levels around 5-6 I think). The whole game is like that? I don't know how anyone can consider BG as part of the the apex of RPGs.
What are you doing exploring the wilderness areas on a replay? They are really boring and you won't lose much ignoring them. The only reason to go on the wilderness areas is to go after the few companions in there to get who you want, go get some protection against petrification scrolls, kill basilisks to quickly level up and go straight on the main quest until reaching Baldur's Gate. The best stuff is in Baldur's Gate then go play Durlag's Tower. After that, go play the real game, BG 2.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I think I have about 15+ hours of playtime (levels around 5-6 I think). The whole game is like that? I don't know how anyone can consider BG as part of the the apex of RPGs.
What are you doing exploring the wilderness areas on a replay? They are really boring and you won't lose much ignoring them. The only reason to go on the wilderness areas is to go after the few companions in there to get who you want, go get some protection against petrification scrolls, kill basilisks to quickly level up and go straight on the main quest until reaching Baldur's Gate. The best stuff is in Baldur's Gate then go play Durlag's Tower. After that, go play the real game, BG 2.

You forgot "remember to collect all the + attribute tomes before exporting" part. Because power game is not a means to an end, power gaming is the end.

kmonster

Augur

If you don't like the added NPCs just don't use them. The monk (and the annoying sorc) were kicked out within a few minutes. The wild mage and blackguard were definitely better designed than many of the original NPCs.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Because of all the drama around Roxor's review of Eternity, I decided to (re)play Baldur's Gate.

...Holy shit, the game is really that boring?

I remember playing it at the time of release and think something along the lines of "it's interesting but nothing much". Now, I think the movement of the characters is *really* clunky (almost infuriating at times), the fighting is all over the place, and dialogues/quests can be quite ridiculous. I mean, people complain about the plot of Divinity, but what the fuck, the level of silliness in the dialogues in Baldur's Gate seems even worse (and without being funny at all). I didn't remember this game being like this. The maps are beautiful and generally really open; which is refreshing, since the modern games love confine the player in enclosed and claustrophobic places - a forest in BG *really* looks and feels like a forest. The songs are also nice, if rather generic. And... That's it, I guess? Most of the time I'm just clearing the "fog of war" on the maps, killing a lot of trash mobs, fulfilling ridiculous quest asked by some random NPCs scattered around.

I think I have about 15+ hours of playtime (levels around 5-6 I think). The whole game is like that? I don't know how anyone can consider BG as part of the the apex of RPGs. It's not a horrible game too, it's just mediocre - I keep playing because of the exploration and the beautiful levels. The game seems really easy so far, I just steamroll most enemies. (Except what appears to be a random encounter in which I appeared in the middle of a group of archers who almost annihilated my party before I could do anything, this was the only time I had a problem.) From what I see, the consensus here is that BG2 is a far superior game... I hope it is, indeed.
Install SCS.
Yeah, mods will fix it.

:troll:
Let's be serious though, Baldur's Gate was utter shit.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
BG1 is fairly boring and vastly inferior to BG2. Disliking BG1 does not mean that you like shitty action games like Dragon Age.

likaq

Arcane
Actually, even dragon age inquisition is way better than bg1.
bg1=oblivion of its time at best, one of the biggest harbinger of decline at worst.

waywardOne

Arcane
While the patch(es) do fix bugs that are exclusive to the EEs, it should be said that many of the bugs listed in the change logs were (and still are) present in the original games. Some of those bugs are engine related (hardcoded) but they are easy to fix for us due to our access to the source code. On the other hand, modders would have to create workarounds or alter the game executable (which can be quite difficult) in order to correct those issues.

That said, we do try to externalize (unhardcode) as much of the engine functionality as possible to make things easier for modders. For example, IWD:EE is significantly easier to mod than the original Icewind Dale was.

The game didn't just come out last week, and many of those bugs were not present in the originals.

You know what would make it easier for the modders? Updating the IESDP. Releasing Raph from his nda + non-compete so he can return to ToBEx. Letting Erephine fix 1pp v4 once and for all.

Even better, give PC players the option (just like the other platforms) for Beamdog's content to be optional.

You're a good guy, but you associate (and defend) assholes.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
You know what would make it easier for the modders? Updating the IESDP.

After IWD:EE came out, pretty much all of the new engine functionality was posted on the IESDP forum. For example, hereis a list of our new opcodes . Updating the IESDP itself is of course up to the volunteers who maintain it, but the info is out there.

Releasing Raph from his nda + non-compete so he can return to ToBEx. Letting Erephine fix 1pp v4 once and for all.

I don't think it works quite like that. I know that nobody told me "you can no longer make/update mods now that you're working for Beamdog". Granted, I do have less time for modding now. And in truth, it's a bit harder to justify spending your free time on modding when you're doing something very similar as your day job (you generally want to do something different when you're not working). But when I wanted to update my mods, I did it on my own time and no one complained.

waywardOne

Arcane
I don't think it works quite like that. I know that nobody told me "you can no longer make/update mods now that you're working for Beamdog". Granted, I do have less time for modding now. And in truth, it's a bit harder to justify spending your free time on modding when you're doing something very similar as your day job (you generally want to do something different when you're not working). But when I wanted to update my mods, I did it on my own time and no one complained.

Look, I really appreciate you responding, so I can't tell if you're being naive or disingenuous, but there's a huge difference between the modding guys like you and Liam do, and what R and Erephine did. Legally, Beamdog "could have" (my opinion and totally non-legally liable) shut both of them down because of actual legal issues, whereas the vast majority of (non-technical) mods don't infringe EULAs or IP laws in anywhere near the same way. People can make all the ruleset tweaks and NPC mods they want, but modifying the exe or redistributing derivative (from original) art assets is completely different. The fact that the only modders to go completely dark right before BGEE launch were those two speaks volumes about why it happened. Two other "hackers", Miloch and bigg, have done virtually nothing in 2.5 years, probably for the same reasons. Legally enforceable NDAs are an easy excuse for people not to clue you in, especially if you think you still have something to gain (or lose).

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played Bg1 and BG1EE too many times to count and I still enjoy exploring all the maps although I done it 100 times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom