Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Doktor Best

Arcane
Found a plan for a lvl 37 sword, does over 400 dmg I wish I had it now because the HP bloat on death march is so real. Combat is not a roll fest though because rolling drains your stamina and you can easily get two or even one-shotted on this difficulty and health does not regen even if you meditate. It's actually pretty difficult but not really in a good way, it's mostly from the laggy movement and enemy health, I shot over 30 normal bolts into a bandit before he died.
Still better than souls combat mind you the best of which was Demons' which most souls fags haven't even played not either of the dark's.

Umm there is no difficulty based hp bloat. Difficulty only affects damage taken, monster AI and health regen.

Perkel

Arcane
lol been reading stuff on noticeboard and i found that Odrin is now deserter

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Have to skip dialogue lines every time you want to access a store.
:hmmm:

I'm with Ulminati : bring back dice poker. In its simplicity, it's way more compelling and addicting than fucking gwent. Also, gwent makes me think of Gwent, you know, the swampy shithole in Wales. Fuck gwent. I know they had to introduce the pokemon thing (collect'emm all) to the game, but WTF? Dice poker is 200000000x better. Or Pazaak, for that matter. <3 Pazaak (which also had some "collect'em all" value to it).
If you find dice poker addicting you have brain problems.

If you don't find poker games addicting you have brain problems.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Do any people actually enjoy games anymore? Just all the nitpicking of every game, it's like don't you remember Mario and shit. How have people had fun with all old games but now people don't seem to like playing games.
campaign_projecteternity.png

Hush ;)

I learned mah mistake with that

uaciaut

Augur
Yet they hobbled the graphical fidelity of the PC version just so that it wouldn't outshine the PS4 and Xbone too much.

Considering the high system requirements versus what you see on screen, I don't think that's the reason at all.
What Roguey says. You need quote a rig to run the game on Ultra even in its current state and on 1080 resolution, I can't imagine the machine you'd need to run the graphically unabridged version.

The game just needs optimization, they knew about it, and they cut down on the graphics quality in order to keep it playable. Hopefully, they'll improve it further so graphics whores of all anus calibres can feel sarisfied. :)

I was actually going to say the exact opposite, game seems to eat GPU on high resolutions and ultra settings like a motherfucker yet it works on mid-range cards from last gen (i.e. 770/280x) fairly well on lower settings/resolutions. It's likely by the time the EE comes out it will be even slightly better optimized which makes it a pretty well made engine imo.

Ironically, Geralt after regaining all his memories is now the fucking weakest he ever was among the 3 games.
>can't parry without getting stunned, even attacks from the weakest monsters
>drowners take 3 times less damage from a master swordsman witcher using a silver witcher sword than they deal to you with fingernails through armor
>Aard can't even knock down a one fucking drowner or wolf (can't even interrupt a monster mid attack when they lunge at you), its only use is breaking shit
>can't fall down 2,5 meters without breaking your legs

Game is MEANT to be addressed primarily to people new to the series, that's why CDR fucking spent money to get it shown in Times Square.

Can people stop being fucking autistic sperglords over how Geralt isn't the dragonslaying badass that you left in TW2 already.

Medic

Scholar
Patron
Is this game an incline or decline in cRPG's? Any verdict on that?

bonescraper

Ok, whoever said there's no combat XP is a moron. I just leveled up after killing a pack of level 1 wolves. Just watch the XP bar as you kill shit, geezus fuck.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Witcher from books is some L1beral beta whiteknight best way to RP Twicher 1 and 2 is forgot about this looser and RP Twicher you want him to be, in my case For Temeria Broche before Sorceresses hoes Professional soldier. Not to mention that Ciri was single most annoying snotty brat in books and that Triss Merigold >>> Yenefer when it comes to Waifus.
Finished TW1 saving Aida another hot redhead and siding with Sigfried started playing 2nd part got past the siege. Great fun best ARPG ever so far 10/10 GOTY.

Azarkon

Arcane

It's a Witcher game, which entails:

* No party management
* Barebones dialogue skills & interaction
* Lots and lots of fighting
* Lots of crafting & inventory management
* Limited itemization b/c one class w/one fighting style
* Limited specialization b/c one class w/one fighting style
* Limited but at times satisfying C&C
* Grimdark fantasy setting done correctly, rather than poorly ala DA
* Preset character relationships
* Suitably edgy protagonist who you get to shape in the level of doucheness

Is that incline/decline? Frankly speaking, it isn't either, because the Witcher 3 has about as much RPG mechanics as the other Witchers, and none of it breaks new ground.

It is, however, very Polished. Fantastic graphics and music. Excellent writing. Immersive setting. Big world with lots of worthwhile content. Well-done monster hunting mechanics & scenarios. Decent side-quests with enough twists to keep you from being bored. In short, all that earns you a 10/10 from video game reviewers.

RPGMaster

Savant
If this were Witcher 1 Geralt would have boinked that herbalist after giving the sick woman the potion. Now he just buys herbs from her. What happened to you Geralt, you used to be cool.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If anyone is interested, the game runs decently (with 25-35 fps) on the following rig: AMD Athlon II X4, ATI HD6870, 8GB DDR2 RAM. I use a mix of low-medium-high settings.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's not a computer rpg, its a console semi open world action rpg for mainstream (mainstream game of throne style) and its very good at that. its not good for what it is, its excellent for what it is.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Are they still pulling the "unforeseen consequences" bullshit? As in your actions have some twisted outcomes that turn them bad even if you intended them to be good and you have no way of knowing? Like every single time?
So far all C&C I've seen has been very logical. An example from Velen:

There's guy called Bloody Baron, and you run into some of his men in a tavern. The situation may end either peacefully or violently depending on your dialogue choices. I ended up killing the guys, so later on, when I had to talk to the Baron and went to see him at his castle, every civilian there went inside and locked their doors while the Baron's men came out and tried to kill me. Eventually I had to find a secret entrance to get inside the castle as the inner gates remained closed. There's another encounter with the Baron's men later on, and that too can end up violently depending on your dialogue choices, as if you tell them that you're a witcher they'll realize that it was you who chopped up their buddies. I also think there might be a small side quest available there if you solved things the peaceful way. Several dialogues also change slightly based on your choice. There might be more, but that's what I've seen so far. I don't think the choice changes the actual story in any way (you still get to see the Baron, do all his quests and so on) but there's still a nice mix of both cosmetic and gameplay-influencing C&C there, especially since the initial choice seems rather trivial at first.

Azarkon

Arcane
Re: combat

The combat is basically a hybrid of tWitcher 1 combat and tWitcher 2 combat. Enemies do a lot of damage so you end up mashing dodge/roll frantically. You also end up abusing the signs, especially Quen, because energy recharges fast in-combat. Opponents have specific weaknesses and attack patterns which is standard for action games. Oh, and whoever decided to bind dodge to Alt on PC by default needs to learn how hands work.

No/limited level scaling, which I'm a fan of, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, whoever said there's no combat XP is a moron. I just leveled up after killing a pack of level 1 wolves. Just watch the XP bar as you kill shit, geezus fuck.
Is that the story mission with the gay hunter?
I did like 4 sidequests,completed 1 treasure hunt and cleared some POIs against lv4-lv7 beasts and got like 200 xp in total.

imweasel

I think Geralt has a pole up his ass the way he always twitches around.

The movement is pretty fucking awful for a AAA title. Poles simply can't into controls it seems.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Going to wait for the patch. The crash problems due to memory leak is... Annoying.

Cromwell

Arcane
For people who played farther than me. I get swalow refilled by having dwarven spirit in the inventory, do I also get dwarven spirit refilled when I have empty bottles? which means unlimited swallow?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom