Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone ?

deuxhero

Arcane
I literally had no idea this game existed until I saw it in my GoG library when I went to redownload something (I presume I got it in the D&D bundle). Any good?

(Also is Dragonshard just the medicore/bad RTS I've heard it is)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Story by R.A. Salvatore.
Gotta be great. Right?

Seriously, it's a beat them up with slight upgrade and equipment management. Not suited for GRPG.
IIRC, it's very short. Since you already paid for it, there's no reason not to give it a spin. You'll not miss out on anything if you don't like the gameplay and quit after half an hour. And if you find the gameplay acceptable the game isn't long enough to get bored.
/2cents

da_rays

Augur
Clearly depend on your tolerance to Hack n' slash Arpg , which is Demon Stone. The game itself aint that bad ( from what i remember , its been a while. )
as far has Hack n slash goes, this title is mediocre or ''meh'' at best , a bit less horrible if youre a storyfag. Khelben is voiced by good old Captain Picard. 3 playable character , a fighter , a wizard and a thief , which you can switch between them through the various stages.

To sum it up in a few word for thoses TL;DR type, basic repetitive hack n' slash game with good music , VA and ''decent'' storytelling. that's my humble opinion of course, and its been ages since I played that game. If you got it ready to download tho , give it a try , cant hurt ( maybe except your attitude towards FR )

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've finished it, but I don't remember anything about what it was about, except that there were a few characters and I could switch between them. I remember that at the time I thought it looked very similar to the Lord of The Rings: The Return of the King game. If you really don't have anything, to play, you may give it a spin.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
As far as I remember, it was a fun hack'n'slash but it had very little to do with RPGs. Only thing I remember about the story or characters is that Drizzt Do'Urden was playable in some level.

deranged

Cipher
Most people hate it, combat is not even that good, but I found it fun nevertheless. Good for what it is doesn't try to be anything more than hack and slash (in contrast with Dragonshard that tried to be rpg/rts and failed spectacularly).

GrainWetski

Arcane
Isn't this purely an action game? Though, I guess since Witcher 3 is in this section, it's fine.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I rented this game from Blockbuster once.. It was a dud.. The story wasn't great / it was pretty tropey which kinda sucks because I like Salvatore's stuff.

Unfortunately a game like this needed a good story because it was otherwise crap. I wouldn't recommend you grab this.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played and beat it. It is mediocre whether you consider it an action game or an action CRPG, and so middle of the road that nothing really stands out from my memory of it. Oh, one of the three heroes you play is a misunderstood drow with a heart of gold. Really, there are so many good drow in fiction now that they should form their own surface world city and WOTC should just allow them to be part of the core races one can play.

I guess the more I think about it, the memorable stuff is all bad. Play it if you just want to dump some time, but otherwise there are much better abandonware and shareware games you could be playing for free.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I played and beat it. It is mediocre whether you consider it an action game or an action CRPG, and so middle of the road that nothing really stands out from my memory of it. Oh, one of the three heroes you play is a misunderstood drow with a heart of gold. Really, there are so many good drow in fiction now that they should form their own surface world city and WOTC should just allow them to be part of the core races one can play.

I guess the more I think about it, the memorable stuff is all bad. Play it if you just want to dump some time, but otherwise there are much better abandonware and shareware games you could be playing for free.

That female Drow had Fanfic Trope written all over her before she even opened her mouth. I hate how the Drizzt Novels has spawned this new stupid iteration of the hero's journey where everyone is now a misunderstood angsty wanderer who was rejected from their past affiliations.

It's basically the PoE plot for the Main Character, Salvatore even re-purposed it himself for Artemis, Fuck even Vin Diesel is a huge DnD player and his Riddick story line is entirely inspired by the Drizzt Novels.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Oh, one of the three heroes you play is a misunderstood drow with a heart of gold. Really, there are so many good drow in fiction now that they should form their own surface world city and WOTC should just allow them to be part of the core races one can play.

That female Drow had Fanfic Trope written all over her before she even opened her mouth. I hate how the Drizzt Novels has spawned this new stupid iteration of the hero's journey where everyone is now a misunderstood angsty wanderer who was rejected from their past affiliations.

It's pretty funny considering that Salvatore himself complained about the "good drow" trope :lol:

Salvatore said:
This will sound strange, I know, but I'm almost a bit saddened by the success of Drizzt. He was the "different" drow, but because of his popularity, others are emulating him more and more. Why does that make me sad? I fear for the integrity of the evil drow race as antagonist. I fear that gamers will adventure into the depths and see a dark elf and ask, "Does he have purple eyes?" instead of cowering in fear. I know that this lifting of the veil of mystery is a logical evolution of the race in a game that becomes more and more detailed, but I can't help but feel that something was lost in the process. Elves like the drow are as common as the typical surface elf in games like EverQuest now.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?13292-Drow-a-go-go#ixzz3bMtVMQp3

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I literally had no idea this game existed until I saw it in my GoG library when I went to redownload something (I presume I got it in the D&D bundle). Any good?

(Also is Dragonshard just the medicore/bad RTS I've heard it is)

A 2000s D&D RPG you've never heard of. On the Codex, which knows almost everything about old RPGs. What does that tell you?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oh, one of the three heroes you play is a misunderstood drow with a heart of gold. Really, there are so many good drow in fiction now that they should form their own surface world city and WOTC should just allow them to be part of the core races one can play.

It's pretty funny considering that Salvatore himself complained about the "good drow" trope :lol:

Salvatore said:
This will sound strange, I know, but I'm almost a bit saddened by the success of Drizzt. He was the "different" drow, but because of his popularity, others are emulating him more and more. Why does that make me sad? I fear for the integrity of the evil drow race as antagonist. I fear that gamers will adventure into the depths and see a dark elf and ask, "Does he have purple eyes?" instead of cowering in fear. I know that this lifting of the veil of mystery is a logical evolution of the race in a game that becomes more and more detailed, but I can't help but feel that something was lost in the process. Elves like the drow are as common as the typical surface elf in games like EverQuest now.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?13292-Drow-a-go-go#ixzz3bMtVMQp3

Made the mistake of clicking the link..

Some Idiot said:
i personally hate drizzt....he made drow become friendly and tolerable.

This comment is retarded..
RA Salvatore was basically the creator of Drow within the Forgotten Realms setting. They were always created as a flagship to push the story of Drizzt and were only first mentioned (Within FR) in The Crystal Shard as basically a background bumper sticker for Drizzt.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Salvatore said:

Some Idiot said:

RA Salvatore was basically the creator of Drow within the Forgotten Realms setting. They were always created as a flagship to push the story of Drizzt and were only first mentioned (Within FR) in The Crystal Shard as basically a background bumper sticker for Drizzt.

Back off my ENWorld site. And you don't know your D&D history. The drow were created by Gary Gygax and, like dragons and goblins, were expected to be in every setting. Gygax also created their goddess, Lolth, and used them prominently in his Vault of the Drow and Queen of the Demonweb Pits adventures. Salvatore made up Drizzt on the fly when he pitched The Icewind Dale trilogy, which takes place in the Forgotten Realms. He was surprised by the character's success. The Forgotten Realms was created by Ed Greenwood for his local gaming group, and it was full of so much detail, TSR purchased it off of him to replace Gygax's Greyhawk campaign world once the Blumes kicked Gygax out of the company. The drow were mysterious and terrifying before being fleshed out by Salvatore and made into a matriarchal, leather-wearing sex fantasy.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The drow were mysterious and terrifying before being fleshed out by Salvatore and made into a matriarchal, leather-wearing sex fantasy.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

1111d5160b07f419d27bd2ec3ae1c467.jpg

:troll:

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Salvatore said:

Some Idiot said:

Back off my ENWorld site. And you don't know your D&D history. The drow were created by Gary Gygax and, like dragons and goblins, were expected to be in every setting. Gygax also created their goddess, Lolth, and used them prominently in his Vault of the Drow and Queen of the Demonweb Pits adventures. Salvatore made up Drizzt on the fly when he pitched The Icewind Dale trilogy, which takes place in the Forgotten Realms. He was surprised by the character's success. The Forgotten Realms was created by Ed Greenwood for his local gaming group, and it was full of so much detail, TSR purchased it off of him to replace Gygax's Greyhawk campaign world once the Blumes kicked Gygax out of the company. The drow were mysterious and terrifying before being fleshed out by Salvatore and made into a matriarchal, leather-wearing sex fantasy.

Here let me help you out since you apparently can't read.

Let me just add that I have met Ed Greenwood and RA Salvatore many times and had the wonderful ability to sit down with him during a dnd session and pick his brain several years ago.

I know my FR Lore and have been a long member of the Candlekeepforum. So put your cock away.

Salvatore and Greenwood co-opted on many different locations including the dales and underdark and the first book to introduce Drow to the FR setting was the Crystal Shard in 1988 / 1989.. Gary Gygax's novel about Drow which was Antiques of Evil or something was for another setting (Greyhawk?)

EDIT:
Also my dad can beat your dad up.

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
If you are still waiting for Diablo 2, then maybe give it a go.

Even NOX was better than this shit, and if you NEED the diablo fix theres Sacred et al.
It helps to know that Salvatore is a SHIT writer. as shit as it gets. like Sue grafton/Clive cussler except with elffags and dickswords. so his writing being in a game is one of the worst commendations it can get (KoA??) Like maybe when you are 10 that shit flies as decent fantasy, but its sad and telling to see pnp nerdz actually offer his name up in the breadth as the word literature.
but then they may be dean koontz and laura hamilton fans too.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It helps to know that Salvatore is a SHIT writer. as shit as it gets. like Sue grafton/Clive cussler except with elffags and dickswords. so his writing being in a game is one of the worst commendations it can get (KoA??) Like maybe when you are 10 that shit flies as decent fantasy, but its sad and telling to see pnp nerdz actually offer his name up in the breadth as the word literature.
but then they may be dean koontz and laura hamilton fans too.

I was always under the impression that Salvatore's books are mainly targeted at teenagers, and for that, they are pretty good. There are books that are meant for children, books that are meant for teens and books that are meant for adults.

Not everything has to be high literature.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I was always under the impression that Salvatore's books are mainly targeted at teenagers, and for that, they are pretty good. There are books that are meant for children, books that are meant for teens and books that are meant for adults.

The thing is i dont think they are good teenage literature. Ursula LeGuine, Tad Williams, Hunger Games, Lois Lowry, Golden Compass........they all manage to scale accessibility down to young adult age levels without completely giving up any semblance of quality prose or characterization -- instead: wooden characters, repeated adjectives, consistent tell-over-show; i hear they've gotten (slightly) better over the years, but most of his books are painfully written in a way few but L Ron Hubbard have been able to master and still stay in print.
dat fanbase tho

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

The thing is i dont think they are good teenage literature. Ursula LeGuine, Tad Williams, Hunger Games, Lois Lowry, Golden Compass........they all manage to scale accessibility down to young adult age levels without completely giving up any semblance of quality prose or characterization -- instead: wooden characters, repeated adjectives, consistent tell-over-show; i hear they've gotten (slightly) better over the years, but most of his books are painfully written in a way few but L Ron Hubbard have been able to master and still stay in print.
dat fanbase tho

Salvatore wrote an old series called the Chronicles of Ynis Aielle.. I read it when I was 10 years old and ate it up.. I loved it.
I also really liked Artemis when I was 12..

So based on my own experience, he is a good writer for young teens. I also consider him a better writer then most authors of FR books.. lets be honest, most of them are Gaider levels of squeemish. Recently we were discussing the Baldurs Gate series of books in the SJW thread that go full fucking fan fiction with a Lesbian Drow scene that goes for like 12 pages..

I remember reading about Imoen and the Matron Mother dry humping in a bath tub at the age of 13 wonder what the fuck I am reading. It can get pretty bad.

So I don't think Salvatore is by any means on the low end of the latter.. He's a NY Timers best seller :)lol:) and he knows his audience and what they want and is pretty realistic / introspective about his own work. He knows when he is writing schlocky tropes just because WoTC Wants some more $$$.

I might be biased though because he is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

Even NOX was better than this shit,

What do you mean by that? Nox is the best game that ever existed.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Wasn't the rogue a half-Drow? IIRC her mother was raped by a Drow.

Could be I'm confusing with some other game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom