Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

Ninjerk

Arcane
:lol: Totally missed that

Angthoron

Arcane
Updated my journal moderation queue.

Quite a few posts on the previous page got added, folks, check 'em out.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
James used his own money for that in a desperate attempt to try and get something going for funding. I dont think that was so much 'buying unity assets" than "investing" that money for a hopefully quick turn around.

I'm being honest when I say these guys were scrambling and trying their asses off to figure out anything to salvage this. They didnt just quit GM to get the assets, ive been harping on them to give it back to jason or get rid of it since pretty much the start. Once their funding apparently fell through there was no fixing this (not sure this was fixable anyhow) but they were ready to wash their hands of everything (assets and all) and give it back to jason who (smartly) wasnt going to touch GM again with a 10 foot pole.

Sorry to say, but you drank the kool-aid. At some point you have to stop taking everything they say at face value. Lets start with some facts. First off, they could have done what they said they are going to do, and just develop GM. I know people don´t know this, but you CAN develop a game without outside funding at all. If James really could program or do anything in Unity besides buy assets from other people, he could have been working for 3 years to make GM. The video produce in January, and shown again in your Google Hangout... was laughable. It was like the Indian guy said... that is garbage that anyone could throw together quickly. It was basically just Atavism ( $90 on Unity asset store) and UMA ( free on Unity asset store).

You said they were scrambling? For what? money. You are exactly right, James used his own money to buy something from the Unity store to trick people into investing in his new game... to make it seem like a real game. It was nothing but 1 cheap asset pack from Unity and the 3rd person controller that comes with Unity. He was doing in the past week, EXACTLY what he has been doing the past 3 years in GreedMonger.. buying and downloading other people´s stuff and making it seem like he was really making a game. You can´t buy a $40 asset from the Unity store and then brag about making progress on your game.. that is all James did for the past 3 years.

Stop talking about these two clowns like they are game developers. They are two grown men who live with their mother´s and do nothing except play games and post on forums. The only thing that makes James different than any other gamer who posts on this forum is that he learned how to download and install other people´s stuff from the Unity asset store and take screenshots.

I don´t understand why you consider it a heroic effort for James to throw together that zombie video.. it is one unity asset and an hour of work.... and for that.. he wants funding??? You don´t see how that is a bad thing?
First off, sure. I sipped at the Kool Aid. I never hid my bias in all of this or the fact I was rooting for these guys or the fact I became friends with james. So I'msure a bit of Kool Aid sipping went down.

I also never said a "heroic effort"was made- rather a legitimate effort. That they didnt do this for the assets and actually were against closing shop even at the point that all hope was lost and continuing on was a waste of time and total insanity.

This is where I separate intent from outcome I suppose. In my mind nobody was grounded in reality here and i'll pretty much leave it at that. I saw and read alot of things that were cringeworthy as fuck and sometimes didnt know if I was trapped in a parody. I'm not going to elaborate further but i'm sure you understand the gist.

What I did see though- Was effort and wishful thinking on steroids. What i did see was probably thousands of lines of skype chats that show they were trying and even thought they could pull this off while I didnt see a snowballs chance in hell. I was as honest as I could be even though I was the least informed about game development I think I was the only realist there for a longtime. And if Im the the realist in the bunch- Well... Thats just crazy and probably wont ever happen again. Theyt did not want to let this go and shutdown to the point of insanity imho. I blew up the other morning because the situation was fucked and I just couldnt take it anymore and I left their chat-

BUT. What im saying here is that their intent and effort here is valid. Thats all. I'm not trying to kick anyone when they're down here except maybe jason and these guys tried for what its worth. If anything ever did come out of this there are logs upon logs upon logs that show that these guys were trying and resisted shutting down. I'm saying that I dont think this had to do with trying to steal the assets or they would have jumped at the chance to shut things down when I was the one suggesting it and they were fighting me with strange optimism I still dont understand.

This is complex and not something I want to really get into other than to say they tried here well past the point of all hope being lost. Those skype chats (if ever needed) prove their intent to complete this and my intent to shake them and say "WHAT THE FUCK?". They didnt do this for assets imho and they didnt see the same outcome everyone else did even when it was biting them in the face.

Thats about all I'll say on that.

Edit- You just have to look past my clearly stated bias in this matter. I would be saying the same thing you are. I'm not arguing from a point of logic here because this isnt logical. these guys tried . These guys did their best with what they were working with. Their main mistake was taking this on at all. After that the ball just rolled where it rolled but they worked hard regardless of whatever else. The outcome here was set in stone the day the "contract" was signed. GM died that day. This is just an echo and some really big dreams and unrealistic expectations. . But valid attempt is valid attempt. This falls on Appleton. Appleton hired James and made him lead dev. Appleton has full knowledge of where the money went and what was really invested in GM. Appleton continued to rake in money from the website selling land while proctor was out front. Those unflattering chat logs happened at the start and yet Appleton essentially 'promoted him'. Appleton knew he was on disability. Whatever james did or did not do (and I say he didnt do anything with malicious intent but these are personal feelings and knowledge that doesnt matter to you or anyone else nor should it.) pales in comparison to what transpired here, who benefited and by how much.

There are alot of questions here. Questions james cannot answer.

Lets say this was a legit project from the start which I really believe this was. On everyones end. Appleton thought he could do this for 30K and I assume he really believed this. Alot more came in and Appleton didnt think he needed much more than the 30K plus backer rewards. Hell, he could develop the whole thing for 30K andhe had a hell of a lot more than 30K.

At some point he knew. At some point (probably soon based on chat logs we have seen here) this was no longer an attempt but a project doomed to be in stasis forever while jason milked as much money selling "land"on his website. And the media who elevated him and allowed him to make well over 3x what he asked for were strangely silent and seemed willing to let this go on forever.

Alot of shit happened here. But incompetence is the lesser crime by far.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
"The members here on MMORPG.com have pressed Jason and James extremely hard on the issue of those T-shirts. There were so many delays and twists in the story that many, including myself, thought that those T-shirts didn't exist. Until Mr. Lumpyman showed a white T-shirt with a print that looked like it had to do with Greed Monger in a youtube video. The story was he would be starting to send them out in batches. Until the final twist came along that he was waiting for plastic bags.

We know how important physical rewards are in the Kickstarter process. T-shirts are the only tangible evidence that anything, anything was done at all in the whole development process of Greed Monger.

I posted this before, but... If you are an original backer of the Greed Monger project, and American, and thinking about filing a lawsuit against Appleton. Then I'd like to help fund you legal costs for a value of $250 through paypal, in exchange for a copy of the court papers. Regardless outcome of the case. Send me a private message if interested."
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.c...ickstarter-Funds-Unaccounted-For.html#6662791

I wonder if a Kickstart project is in order? What twisted irony that would be.
http://ryanmorrisonlaw.com/ is a reputable and skilled firm I hear. (IMPORTANT NOTE- I just realized that I need to tag this as /sarcasm for those not from this hood who are just passing by and might not get it. Had to clarify on this one.)

Last edited:

InnitBruv

Literate
Holy shit.

No. Holy Fucking Shit!

holy-fucking-shit.png

The amount of epicness and retardness (from Jason/James) in this thread is unbelievable.

They come here to spew out lies and nonsense about knowing how to do business, yet NONE of them had the decency to grab an hour or two, and post the detailed list of where all the money has gone.

That is the fucking least you could do for your backers/suckers.

Azrile

Literate
What i did see was probably thousands of lines of skype chats

Dark, I think you are a good guy and realize what is going on. But what I just quoted is ALL of the problem in the world with GreedMonger as well as Trials of Ascension ( a game that didn´t exist that sold $67,000 worth of virtual cash-shop items in order to create a video for their KS, which failed miserably). In both cases, all these freakin guys do is talk in skype, IRC and post on their own forums.

James has been working on this game for 3 years. The only thing he has ever done is installed random stuff from the Unity store and chat in forums and skype. He spent 3 years pretending to be a developer on forums, without ever actually doing any development of the game. The video he showed is 99% stuff that comes with Atavism and UMA. The Indian guy in your google hangout was totally accurate with one of his lines.. what he was seeing was something a random person could throw together in a very short amount of time and it even looked horrible. Proctor is not a game developer, he just pretends to be one on skype and his forums.

As far as the T-shirts. When Joel Lumpy started spamming everywhere about his courage in taking over this project, and his willingness to self-fund the development of the game if necessary ( lol ).. he also made a point of stressing those t-shirts. Appleton sent him the t-shirts right away.. since then
1. Joel made some game out of making people post on the forums to verify they still wanted the shirts
2. Joel in the google chat then said he didn´t have enough money to send them out all at once, but would begin sending them out ´next week´.
3. Then joel got Conjuntivities and couldn´t send them out
4. Now we hear that he doesn´t have enough money to buy the plastic bags that he needs to send them out in

It is beyond comical.. This is the same guy who showed up a month ago talking about being the savior.. the one who was going to make things right with the backers... the guy who could ´probably self-fund the development of the game´.... and now he can´t send out a handful of t-shirts because he doesn´t have enough money for plastic bags?

This is the same sort of lying and excuses we have heard from James for 3 years. What the hell happened to the stress tests? For a month now they have scheduled them, only to cancel or ´oversleep´ them.. Which is BS.. there never were going to be stress tests because they never did anything with GM since they took over.

The only reason they are still involved at all is because when James quit last month, Appleton demanded all those Unity assets and software licenses back. James and Joel have accomplished nothing since taking over, not a single update or test of the game, and not a single t-shirt got mailed out. Like you sald, all they have done is talked on Skype.

Last edited:

EJoe

Educated
Azrile MrSmiles

I'll explain how to create a MMO controller server. The guy who did this is still in my Skype list. I was roped in months later to do client-part years ago when I was at that game studio.

The first thing, is you need a mesh reader. This can be either OBJ, FBX, .MB or FBX.

After you read the mesh to memory, the first one you read is the terrain-mesh. Usually people use heightmaps, but mesh is better so you can execute pathfinding directly on-top of the mesh.

For the terrain mesh, it has to be divided into walkable and non-walkable areas. You don't want monsters chasing you all around, going into walls, etc.

Then you get the mesh of the houses, trees, static objects, which can be quite numerous in a Unity app. So you need to find some way to export all those meshes to your server.

After that, you create a whole world based on all the meshes from your scene.

Of course, nobody on the forum knows what left-co-ordinate (Unreal, UDK) and right-co-ordinate (Unity) system is until you attempt to setup a world-space in memory.

Then, you have to create a world-space which accurately represents all the meshes in your scene, without opening a DirectX or OpenGL interface. It's not necessary since it is all maths and pure coding.

After you do this, you check all the meshes if they are interpolating. This sets the boundaries where your character can and cannot go. For each mesh, you setup, either using PhysX API or Bullet API. Try not to buy anything fancy... Dulay, Convex and Concave colliders on each mesh. This is done via code to all the meshes.

After you do this, you setup your character. Only thing important is the height and width of the character. The hight should always be on-top of the mesh, and walking around must be always above the terrain mesh (heh, bet you didn't see this coming...).

As you move your character around, since there is no OpenGL or DirectX, you should move around via keyboard VK_LEFT, VK_RIGHT, VK_UP, VK_DOWN to translate into your 3d world-space in memory. it should collide against the mesh (which returns proper positive Y values) and collide against X, Z (objects).

After you do this, you can start adding NPCs, and make them move around via code using behavior trees. Of course, the behavior trees must be all your own code, not other's.

To make it simple, you put initial spawn points in Unity for each mob, what class, what kind, stats and so on.

After you do all of this, from the mesh, you create the navigation points on-top of the mesh. Take your pick... Recast or A* or Detour or Crowd.

After you do all of this, you can start to add a 2nd player NPC into the memory space.

For the server, you should write a socket server with mailbox command receive and store queue.

You have the underpinning of a MMO controller server.

If James was reading this, I hope he understands that this is one system out of many systems that needs to written.
Instead of buying this, buying that. CODE IT YOURSELF. There is no 3rd party library that can achieve this.

Whiran

Magister
You guys REALLY make me laugh at times... However while I'm laughing at you guys in public I'm in private swearing and venting to Dark.

But REALLY do I need to set up a Live Stream on twitch or something and just Program for you guys so you can see that I know how to Program?
Yes, please do.

I'd love to see you in action.

For a project how about a simple game with multiplayer. Like a sprite that has health, shoots, and can die then respawn in some manner. Also include basic AI for computer controlled sprites.

I had to do something similar back in grade 11 highschool programming using PASCAL of all things.

You could put some of the doubters to rest by doing this. Great idea.

Azrile

Literate
Yes, please do.

For a project how about a simple game with multiplayer. Like a sprite that has health, shoots, and can die then respawn in some manner. Also include basic AI for computer controlled sprites.

I had to do something similar back in grade 11 highschool programming using PASCAL of all things.

What are you talking about. Just look at his Space Invaders clone that doesn´t work. The guy jumped from not being able to figure out how to make a space invaders clone to saying he was lead dev of a MMORPG.

colfaxjones

Novice
Yes, please do.

I would certainly tune into a twitch stream of some mad coding skillz.

InnitBruv

Literate
Have you guys heard of a game called "Unturned" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/304930/) ?

Well this is a very popular game (MMO and Single player) on Steam and it was made by a 17 year old according to "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unturned"
  • Unturned was developed by Nelson Sexton, a seventeen-year-old from Canada. Sexton started his development of games on the website Roblox
  • Unturned was originally listed under Steam Greenlight as Unturned 2 and was rated #3 of all Greenlight games. It was successfully Greenlit on the 28th of May 2014 and is now available on Steam.
  • The game is continually being updated to add more features and mechanics, as well as fixing current ones that do not function as intended.
  • There is also a new version, named 3.0, In development which can only be accessed through the steam betas system. This is known as the preview branch and provides players with early access to upcoming updates.
  • The game has seen drastic changes in this preview branch such as graphical improvements, support for user-created content, dedicated servers and much more.
This game has over 126,000 reviews on Steam and 93% of them are positive!

So James, how come a 17 year old without a budget of $100,000 can do a fully playable and enjoyable "MMO" which has a daily average of 14k players on Steam, and yet you, Jason and your dev group and "PR" staff have NOTHING to show for those 3 years and $100k spent ?

This is to show that TRUE DEDICATION, PASSION and KNOWLEDGE in making a game, can actually come to fruition and bring results.

Learn from this example, James.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Tick Tock Tick Tock-

At this point since we have been told the funding is all accounted for this means the "digging" for receipts has already been done and its a simple matter of blacking out a few lines and posting this yourself jason and probably answering a few questions(like of the $47K or so that was spent on"gaming stuffs" how much of that went to Billy Bolts and the dating app since unless you have separate PayPal accounts the spending during certain timeframes would encompass both games and the app). What happened to the rest of the money? How much overall came in between the website selling land for 2 years, the kickstart and paypal? Hows the new house you bought right after the KS ended?Hows that killer laptop you bought, for that much money its probably pretty badass?I know 'coordinating your team' required a laptop that good. Will take about 5 mins to post and 20 or so to answer questions and then you can go back to wallowing in whatever pit you came from.

You know I know. HMU man.

If thats too much work my offer still stands- As does the fact you will answer for this regardless.

And jason,if I started a Patreon account would you support me? Its not every day a weed smoking penguin trolls on the internets. If Brianna Wu gets thousands a month I deserve way more than that. Its for the arts.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Just came across this-

Dear Greed Monger Community Members,

I am the community manager for Utherous. I wanted to reach out to the supporters on the forums here to offer you a consolation for your dedication to the Greed Monger project that was recently canceled.

Since its Kickstarter, several members of our development team have supported and followed Greed Monger. As an indie team, there are always doubts about direction and demand for your product, however, seeing Greed Monger’s early success and community growth served as an inspiration for us as we were going through early development.

Having worked on many games, several of our developers know the pitfalls that come with game creation. While Greed Monger’s current situation is more common than you would think, Kickstarter and crowdfunding are causing fans to be more directly affected. After several discussions, our team has decided to extend an olive branch to the Greed Monger backers in light of their recent announcement to cancel the project. We would like to help those individuals who have supported indies in our genre, and to mitigate the disappointment they may be feeling right now.

We have 100 alpha invites we can extend to the Greed Monger community right now. These invites will get you in early on the dev cycle for Utherous, as well as a full copy of the game upon release (which will include the first month of subscription). We are considering extending some kind of offer to any community members in excess of the aforementioned 100, but cannot commit until we can accurately gauge the interest level. Apologies for the vagueness here, but we will try to do something for anyone postinghere after 100 person cutoff.

Our hope is that our donation of these keys will inspire other indie teams in this space to also reach out and support the fans and for the fans to continue to support us indie developers. Ultimately, we are making games for you and the relationship between devs and backers needs to remain strong for this segment of the industry to survive. While we obviously can’t prevent future projects’ cancellations, we will do everything in our power to let you know that we appreciate your support.

Follow the instructions laid out here to accept our offer.

Best Wishes and Happy Gaming,

Snowpelt

Utherous Community Manager
[11:34:35 AM] Eyal Zilberman: Uhterous' Greed Monger Community Offer

Ive never heard of this game but heres another Class Act stepping forward. Hats off to these gentlemen.

http://www.greedmonger.com/forum/showthread.php?2078-Shutting-down-Greed-Monger/page3

Ummmm, gaming "press" we have now had 2 indie companies step forward and pick up the slack here trying to show that the industry still has a wee bit of fucking integrity. granted,these guys probably dont bring you much Ad revenue but how about 1 article about this? How many times do other companies step forward to make things right with fans of a closed game they had nothing to do with?

Or we could just keep pimping Star Citizen ships I suppose...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
We have 100 alpha invites we can extend to the Greed Monger community right now. These invites will get you in early on the dev cycle for Utherous, as well as a full copy of the game upon release (which will include the first month of subscription).
So they're basically looking for free alpha testers and additional paying customers?

:hmmm:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
If you're having game problems I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but greed monger ain't one

I'm bout to kick this jam 'bout the Kickstart scam
for foes that wanna knows where that money goes
game press is no better than some 2 dollar Ho's
I'm from the internetz stupid what type of facts are those
If you grew up with sense then you already knows
Jason Appleton fucked you for a bit of dough
bought a house with the money hes a fucking asshole
If you don't like my truth you put your head in the sand
and pretend star citizen aint a ship selling scam
They wont cover this well I don't give a shit SO
they wanna change the past and save they ass
pretend they didnt help get jason Appleton cash
So advertisers can give em more cash for ads...fuckers
I don't know what you take me as
or understand the intelligence that Penguin has
I'm from rags to riches nigga I ain't dumb
Sue me

99 Problems but greed monger one
If you having game problems I feel bad for you son
Sue me

The year is 2012 and Unitys still raw
And scamming on the kickstart aint against the law
Along comes this faggit MMA punk bitch
pretends to famous and pretends to be rich
People ask questions that they try to persue
Jason Appleton the bitch just threatens to sue
The websites that promoted him are media whores
Now they scrub it from the web like 1980 fucking 4
Cause what happened here was the lowest of the low
they hoped beyond reason that your memory would go
So they could hype the next hype and pimp you some mo
And keep those advertising dollars to continue to flow

Wake up sucker he stole your cash, without even needing to stick up yo ass
Cause all you dumb fuckers keep buying the hype and the medias not there to set you right
They play along,like this fucking song- And then we all wonder where the shit went wrong
Fuckers buying pixels cost more than a car
and you wonder why gaming has fell so far
Cocksucker comes along and acts legit
and stupid motherfuckers just buy his shit
and for years they sit by and silently sit
while nothing get done on the fucking game
You think jason M Appleton feels any shame?
not when makes downpayments that large
buying houses ,buying cars
You island owners make my jaw just drop
You bought that motherfucker a $2000 laptop
I got 99 problems but Greed Monger aint one
sue me

Now once upon a time not too long ago
A nigga like Jason had to strong arm a ho
Now kickstart is here so have no fear
with smiles they can steal and nobody cares
I tried to ignore the cunt and laugh it all off
but the dumb motherfucker started running his mouth
You fuck with someones employment you fuck with they life
when they were trying to warn the people and do something right
The only thing that's gonna happen is i'mma get to clapping
And give this motherfucker an internet bitch slappin'
And make sure that motherfuckers will never forget
jason Appletons a scammer and a punk ass bitch
The moneys not accounted for this very day
And bitch boy appleton aint getting away
you wanna run a game and you have no shame?
think youll get away with this without no pain?
Think your connected and can do what you do
motherfucker this Penguin more connected than you
So get ready Jason, times running out
Soon you'll find out what this is all about-

I got 99 problems but being a bitch ain't one
Sue me...

I'll make ya famous.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
We have 100 alpha invites we can extend to the Greed Monger community right now. These invites will get you in early on the dev cycle for Utherous, as well as a full copy of the game upon release (which will include the first month of subscription).
So they're basically looking for free alpha testers and additional paying customers?

:hmmm:

Yeah, if youve not been following the MMORPG scene its been creeping incrementalism at its finest. Paid Alpha is the norm and this is now extended to games that are are free To Play.

We have moved into the realm of "founders packs" and "headstart" bullshit- But its pretty standard.In this case they seem like an indie using the early Access style platform and plan to have a sub. Since I think "free to play" is too expensive I am happy to see another attempt at a sub game. regardless, the genre is shit now anyhow- Its always been but there was hope. That hope is gone.

:keepmymoney:

Its like Hollywood now and it probably just gets worse from here.

But there is hope with some of the indie CRPGs- 2014/15 has been the best time for CRPGs in over a decade imho. Ive quit hoping anything is coming for MMORPGs except more bullshit and new ways to milk cash from suckers too willing to pay it.

InnitBruv

Literate

Sue me

Sue me

Cause all you dumb fuckers keep buying the hype and the medias not there to set you right
They play along,like this fucking song- And then we all wonder where the shit went wrong
sue me

Sue me...

I'll make ya famous.

I would have your babies if I had ovaries.

That is some epic poem.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Sue me

Sue me

sue me

Sue me...

I'll make ya famous.

I would have your babies if I had ovaries.

That is some epic poem.
Thank you very much =)

You should hear Penguin Symphony 9. That one brings tears to ones eyes and touches the soul. =P

EDIT- If jason comes back for a rap battle this thread better make retardoland.

Intrigued007

Educated
Well, it's only been three days, and James Proctor is now claiming that he's already/still working on Greed Monger (again):

I've added you to MMOI's Discussion. I thought I had added everyone from our QA Discussion but I guess I hadn't. So anyways the Original GM IS dead. However since the Original GM was nothing more then a list of features (No Lore elements or Story really other then what Jason had up in his mind) the concept, ideas, and features that made up GM still very much live on and are being implemented at this time. I really am not at liberty to discuss any specifics here but just know MMOI is still very much ticking. We will fill you in about everything in our Skype Discussion. We are also looking to add more team members to our QA Team.
Guess he suddenly fell into funding for it, mysteriously. No need to develop mobile games, after all!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom