Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Does a game really "suck" if you spend 100 hours on it?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Though veteran CRPG players are well known for their "I've finished it 3 times and it is the worst game ever" style of judging things, nobody will ever hold a candle to the Dota-type game crowd in this regard. I've met so many people, both IRL and on the net, that played either Dota or LoL for thousands upon thousands of hours and they will swear upon all that they hold dear that these game are absolute trash.

Fry

Arcane
And they're right, but mostly because the MOBA player communities are filled with some of the worst people on earth.

Cthulhu_is_love

Though veteran CRPG players are well known for their "I've finished it 3 times and it is the worst game ever" style of judging things, nobody will ever hold a candle to the Dota-type game crowd in this regard. I've met so many people, both IRL and on the net, that played either Dota or LoL for thousands upon thousands of hours and they will swear upon all that they hold dear that these game are absolute trash.

Funny i'm both

And they're right, but mostly because the MOBA player communities are filled with some of the worst people on earth.

But filled with hate, ignorance and perverse childlike corruption.:incline:

The stuff the codex runs on.

Where the hate flows, the knowledge of oldschool crpg's is rising significantly. Codex proves it

I hear a "Shut up newfag"?:negative:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Though veteran CRPG players are well known for their "I've finished it 3 times and it is the worst game ever" style of judging things
To be honest, most RPGs have several paths you can take through the story or gameplay, so it's kind of dishonest to just play one playstyle and judge the entire game based on that playstyle.

nobody will ever hold a candle to the Dota-type game crowd in this regard. I've met so many people, both IRL and on the net, that played either Dota or LoL for thousands upon thousands of hours and they will swear upon all that they hold dear that these game are absolute trash.
Those who have already clocked over a ninethousand hours start to "burn out" on that game, and they see all those hours they've spent on that game as wasted. It was fun for the first thousand hours, but then the time comes when you get bored of that game, as the feeling of regret increases with each hour spent on that what-you-consider-now a boring popamole POS.
"I could've played actual good games instead of playing the same one over and over!" you think. "I could've spent all that time on getting a job or learning how to make games myself instead of raging about it on the Internet!" you think.

It also doesn't help that MOBA players tend to have a quasi-religious playing schedule, like MMO players. Every night, all night, if not playing then talking about it. No game will remain fun for a long time if you suck it dry like that. I'm surprised it even manages to last a thousand hours for some. I'd be sick of it after a week or two.

Jed

Cipher
Was having a discussion with my brother about the inflated pricepoints of some the newer kickstarted games. Thinking about this thread, I realized the true cost of a game is actually the hours you spend with it.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Was having a discussion with my brother about the inflated pricepoints of some the newer kickstarted games. Thinking about this thread, I realized the actual cost of a game is actually the hours you spend with it.
41b1ca6e7ed97dd2d1cf427f1f86f8cf.png

Jed

Cipher
After wasting your time with grinding and"exploring" generic locations, now you waste your money there too. What an incline...
Just to pick a low number, if you make $10 an hour at work, and spend 100 hours on a game that "sucks" ... you just paid $1000 for that game in practical terms.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
After wasting your time with grinding and"exploring" generic locations, now you waste your money there too. What an incline...
Just to pick a low number, if you make $10 an hour at work, and spend 100 hours on a game that "sucks" ... you just paid $1000 for that game in practical terms.

You should kill yourself.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
It also doesn't help that MOBA players tend to have a quasi-religious playing schedule, like MMO players. Every night, all night, if not playing then talking about it. No game will remain fun for a long time if you suck it dry like that. I'm surprised it even manages to last a thousand hours for some. I'd be sick of it after a week or two.

Why surprised? They are literally made with this design paradigm in mind. I am sure the chemists who make high quality drugs are very skilled and it isn't easy but that doesn't mean cocaine is good for you.

pippin

MOBAs are designed in a way that makes you believe that if you're not playing all the time you will be left behind. I don't like multiplayer games in general because of this, I want to take as long as I feel it's necessary to complete a game, at my own pace, with my tactics. Granted, I still spent a whole weekend playing New Vegas from start to finish once, but that's probably the most "addicted" I've been to any kind of video game, including when I only had Starcraft and Warcraft 2 in my first computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

naossano

Cipher

Put that way, it makes more sense, but one should also take into account studies/unemployement/retirement/sleep time/differences in salary.

TedNugent

Arcane
Games are designed to waste your time. Doesn't mean they're good. Like saying waiting at a traffic light or waiting at the doctor's office is deliberate. You can't get down to the grit of many videogames unless you plunk down a lot of hours.

MOBAs are designed in a way that makes you believe that if you're not playing all the time you will be left behind. I don't like multiplayer games in general because of this, I want to take as long as I feel it's necessary to complete a game, at my own pace, with my tactics.

MOBA's are by far one of the least offenders in that category. MOBA's at least wipe your slate clean before each map. LoL is the only gigantic offender that I know of on this front because of its persistent meta leveling system; but even then, its matchmaking system is actually designed to obviate that somewhat because it places you against equivalently ranked and leveled players whenever possible.

Multiplayer games are best when they are start up and go - when the only thing distinguishing players is their level of skill. Persistent skill/class/ranking/XP/unlock systems are the cancer of multiplayer games. Metagames should not exist in multiplayer.

Dev_Anj

Learned
To be honest, most RPGs have several paths you can take through the story or gameplay, so it's kind of dishonest to just play one playstyle and judge the entire game based on that playstyle.

Well, but just because you own a game doesn't mean you have to play or see everything in it. If someone played through one story part and found it unsatisfactory, he/she can claim that the parts he/she played weren't good, and he/she isn't really interested in that game anymore. Of course, one playstyle being poorly made in comparison to others doesn't mean that all the playstyles are bad, but it can leave a bad first impression and make people not want to play the game again, regardless of the options available.

granit

Scholar
I spent 252 hours playing Skyrim. Skyrim vanilla is really shit. It was fun larping with mods. Does that make the game suck?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ignore the time you played with mods. Only the vanilla time counts.

If you played for >100 hours vanilla and you say it sucks, then you are lying
If you played for <100 hours vanilla and you say it sucks, then it's OK

Cadmus

Arcane
the game either doesn't suck or you are a retard with no interests in your life if you spend 100 hours on a shit game, can't be both

Skippy

Literate
Just been thinking. A lot of people are shitting on AAA titles like DA:I, Skyrim, et cetera despite having obviously played them for a billion hours. Many people who shit on F:NV here have played it for more hours than F2. I get that those games from a design perspective are really awful, and certainly, the fact you spent 100 hours on Skyrim doesn't mean you think it's time well-spent or necessitates that Skyrim is a *good* game, but can you really say a game you spent 100 hours on *sucks*? At the very least it succeeded in sucking you in to play for that long. Seems hypocritical to me, idk.

Also I've been recommended to post this picture here.

Well, I spent around 45 hours on Avadon, and to be honest, I don't like it that much at all.

For me, it was the fact that I got about 25 hours in and ran into some battles I simply could NOT win. This was due to poor character development on my part in term of how I advanced my party, and it frustrated the hell out of me. I ended up restarting, determined to beat the game. It was one of those games that I finished and I really don't know why. I do that often though, I get so far into something I feel guilty if I don't finish it.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played vanilla Skyrim for about 100 hours and I think it sucks. I don't mean that as a verdict about the game as a whole though, because then I'd in fact be a hypocrite. The game is fun, exploration is fun, combat is adequate (and the level scaling is much better than in Oblivion) despite being a bit floaty, the TES leveling system was always great (especially since they cut out all the broken crap there was in Oblivion and the boring passive skills like learning how to run and jump properly) and at first crafting in Skyrim seemed like a nice addition too.
I say it's crap because it could have been so much better. Once I really tried to do proper questing instead of hiking & spelunking it became clear very soon what an empty husk the gameworld really is.
Sadly no mod will ever change that and that's why I'm very pleased to hear that the story aspects of Twitcher 3 seems to be majestic.
Skyrim showed me that my inner story fag doesn't want to put up with the usual lazy game narrative shit anymore.

I also doubt that I would enjoy many of the classics for the same reason. Not that me putting them in my "backlog" is more than lip service anyway. Secretly I'm ogling in the opposite direction, towards all-encompassing VR games (basically Daggerfall or Frontier First Encounters done right) with less arbitrary and clunky control methods.
Gaming indeed has to grow up, I don't have the patience anymore to deal with inane shit that I had when I was a teenager... Okay, that sounded weird from someone posting on the Codex, I give you that.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
You can play shitty games for more than 100 hours , sometimes playing a shit game is the only choice ( for example PoE ) because there are no such games released in past 10 years and what if you dont play popamole 10/10 goty titles ( aka twitcher 10 out of 10 ) what then ? should i wait another 10 years to build some medieval party and slay few dragons ? Not everybody buys every fucking retardo game that gets released not everbody needs a steam library of 420 games , i am fine having 10-15 games in my steam library and another copy of each game on GOG account ( to support the devs as much as i can ) because i dont give a shit about twitchers and gta5s i like cRPG's and only them, and if i decide that game/developers are good enough to milk me twice ( i always take Steam and GoG coppies for a CRPG just so the genre survives a year or two longer before the inevitable decline and death of the genre ) then i will play 100 Hours at bare minimum ( PoE is least played cRPG for me in years, 100 hours is pathetic time for a good cRPG game , 1000 hours now we talking and i spent that on all the classic's back in the day and replaying them is clearly not an option anymore ) and yes even after i played 110 hours of Pillards i stand firm with my opinion that it is one of the worst cRPGS made just because how it was hyped up advertised and because how developers are utter manchild failures stating quite the opposite while developing the game and then shitting on their own words releasing fullon casual title that deny most of the shit they said trough development time ,
2014 was a good year and i completed more CRPGS than in 8 years before that and always had to play something (D:OS,WL2,SR,BG) , but still there was still nothing like Pillards ( RTwP , 6 Characters to control etc ) so in the end i played it for many hour just to say its shit and developers deserve some kind of punishment for their lies ( how come gaming industry is the only place where you can lie legit , backstab your custommer and be praised after that rofl )

Whiran

Magister
You can play shitty games for more than 100 hours , sometimes playing a shit game is the only choice ( for example PoE ) because there are no such games released in past 10 years and what if you dont play popamole 10/10 goty titles ( aka twitcher 10 out of 10 ) what then ? should i wait another 10 years to build some medieval party and slay few dragons ?
Personally, if I don't like a game then I stop playing it.

Why in the world would I subject myself to unpleasantness in my time that I have slated for enjoying myself? That makes no sense to me at all.

I cannot fathom why anyone would do something for so long while not enjoying it. Either they feel that they cannot be honest and open about their opinion (in that they actually enjoyed the game) or they hate themselves and feel like they need to punish themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom