Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Longtime Larian composer Kirill Pokrovsky has passed away

Vibalist

Arcane
Shit. His music was half the reason Original Sin turned out so good. I'm genuinely saddened by this, which is rare. Mostly I don't care too much about celebrity deaths, but I will definitely miss never experiencing another game that features his work.

To honor this great man I recommend that we listen to all seven hours of the D:OS soundtrack! Pokrovsky deserves nothing less.

RIP :salute::salute::salute:

Pegultagol

Erudite
RIP, Kirill, you gave Larian games the unsurpassed atmosphere and sense of wonder. Your music will live on in many fond memories and many thanks for giving us hours of joy of listening and reflection.
Condolences to Larian studio members and his family and friends for having lost a true and dedicated musician and soul.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Shitty news to come home to. Kirill was a bro and his music was ace. RIP :(

I mean, how can anyone not miss this guy?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
He was playing "Mack the Knife" at the end of the clip in the OP... or "Mackie Messer" as the Germans know it. That's one of my favorite tunes. Vaya con dios, Kirill.

Chunkyman

Augur
His music was fucking great, one of the best parts of Larian games IMO. Sucks he died so young.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
This a complete surprise and I think the very first time that this kind of news truly saddens me. I remember feeling some kind of loss when it was announced that Stanley Kubrick was dead, but then I remembered all his great accomplishments and smiled. But with Kirill, though I never met him and never will, I am currently experiencing a deep feeling of loss. Sure, his art lives on—we can even say that he became his art now—but at the same time I feel as if I learned that an old friend I hadn’t seen for many years had passed away.

Reflecting upon this, the reason strikes me as simple: his music has accompanied so many moments of my life, both happy and sad, that it is now a part of myself. As silly as it may sound, I guess that made me feel some sort of kinship towards the man. I will never meet him and know him, but I like to believe that I came to know a part of him, one that will live on and still enchant and delight people for years to come in the same way it had enchanted and delighted me.

I regret I never got to tell him how much I love his music.

Coyote

Arcane
Damn, just found out about this. I've said it before, but his music is the main reason I've played Divine Divinity so many times over the years even though it's not really my kind of game:

:salute:

Electryon

Savant
Been playing a little bit of Divine Divinity today actually....and Original Sin had some of the best music I'd heard in a game in a long time. If he wasn't the best working at what he did, I can't point to who might have been better.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Holy damn this is terrible, by the time I was getting bored with the videogames themselves, a Bittersweet Regrets starts playing and I remind myself why I finished the first divine divinity back in the day. Not saying Larian are bad, they have enourmous potential, but Kirill was on another level. I bet he is rocking with the ferryman right now.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A great musician. Thank you for your excellent music Kirill, you will be missed.
Rest in peace

Quatlo

Arcane
It really did hit me today in the bus, I remembered the live concert and how full of passion this man was when playing.
And then when they joked that twitch hated it, the sadness in his eyes for a second, before they told him that it was a joke and actually everyone was enamored.

Fuck :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom