Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Angthoron

Arcane
Just had a Dam-induced game over. For some reason (bug?) water flow direction CHANGED after I built my dam, which resulted into water pumps pumping shit water -> Mass sickness -> mass deaths -> plummeting income -> by the time things turned around I already had 3 loans, half a million debt and a fucking ghost town, with HALF its former populace. Moral of the story: fuck damns, I'm sticking to more reliable power sources. Had to reload a 2 hours old save thanks to the fucking hydro plant.
Not a bug. When building dams, you need to account for all the water-related things, like falling water levels and a potential for a flood.

Oh, and age extender is a good idea, but I read on Steamforums that the latest patch made such mods go ape shit. If yours work, please provide a link...
Ooh, didn't know. Haven't played for a bit. Give it a week, modders will fix their mods, I'd think.

granit

Scholar
Difficulty is a problem with this game ( too easy). The built in hard mode helps a bit, but its not enough.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Just got the game in the Steam sale. Never have I had my opinion of a game change so quickly. When I first started playing it I was immensely disappointed because of how limited the game felt. Fast forward to half an hour later and I realize that it's not limited at all, I was just trundling around at the surface level. The deeper I dug, the more I found an unprecedented level of customization. I... yeah. I am absolutely loving this game.

My only complaint so far is that it's too easy (I mean just randomly dicking around I was still generating bucketloads of cash and had a hugely happy populace). Also, more feedback would be nice. I really wish it had a SimCity style ticker that would pop up with alerts when your various services were nearing capacity. As it is right now half the time I don't realize I need a new power plant until half my city is in blackout. Even have employees at various services Chirp about it would be nice, and would work well with what's already there.

Whiran

Magister
Just got the game in the Steam sale. Never have I had my opinion of a game change so quickly. When I first started playing it I was immensely disappointed because of how limited the game felt. Fast forward to half an hour later and I realize that it's not limited at all, I was just trundling around at the surface level. The deeper I dug, the more I found an unprecedented level of customization. I... yeah. I am absolutely loving this game.

My only complaint so far is that it's too easy (I mean just randomly dicking around I was still generating bucketloads of cash and had a hugely happy populace). Also, more feedback would be nice. I really wish it had a SimCity style ticker that would pop up with alerts when your various services were nearing capacity. As it is right now half the time I don't realize I need a new power plant until half my city is in blackout. Even have employees at various services Chirp about it would be nice, and would work well with what's already there.
Wait until you discover the wonders of the game's mods.

Mods really enhance this game.

i went in the opposite direction. at first it felt amazing, but soon i realised it had very few meaningful mechanics other than traffic management.
also absurd needs for cemeteries and dumps is absurd.
i'm waiting for it to hit -75% so i can try its mods.

Turjan

Arcane
...also absurd needs for cemeteries and dumps is absurd.
... mods....

Actually, much of that "absurd need" is just due to bad traffic management. Nevertheless, I use modded buildings in both cases.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
Just found out about this game yesterday. I think I'll grab it before the sale ends. Been looking for a proper follow up to Sim City 4 for years.

so, should i buy it? (yeah, yeah, i know) i will only if mods add a lot of complexity and different interactions between buildings. i mean, i need new rules because i found the vanilla too simplicistic, unfortunately i can't explore the workshop without owning the game.

Caim

Arcane
so, should i buy it? (yeah, yeah, i know) i will only if mods add a lot of complexity and different interactions between buildings. i mean, i need new rules because i found the vanilla too simplicistic, unfortunately i can't explore the workshop without owning the game.
If you like Sim City 4 and want more of that, you can do a lot worse than Cities: Skylines.

Perkel

Arcane

Yes. There already mods to balance things.

I personaly use mod that ups a lot buying other parcels of land and unlocks everything from start so for first years you will be in debt.

not the most timely answer :P i bought it, but mods aren't what i need, or at least i didn't find those i needed. still the only "challenge" and evolving factor is traffic.
i could use some better services. i found some too powerful power plants, best vanilla police, firemen and hospitals are sort of fine but i didn't find decent schools, i'm still forced to put an elementary school every other block.

Turjan

Arcane
...i'm still forced to put an elementary school every other block.
You are not. The area of effect only determines building upgrades. Cims will travel wherever they need to go to school. However, there are some modded elementary and high schools that use the vanilla models with much higher capacity and radius (see here).

In other developments, building themes per district now work. As an example, UK Terrace Housing is offered as a theme here. I tried it out, and it works nicely:

zNh9ij5.jpg

One side effect is that, if you use "international", only vanilla "international" buildings grow, and "European" has the same effect in that you only get CO buildings. In order to see mod assets that don't have a theme assigned, you have to uncheck themes (or not zone a district). Or add a theme to the asset yourself.

Some of the new train models are also quite nice:

8519BDD8EEF0DCE2EFFED5BDF0DED27E5C9F8FB8

Last edited:
...i'm still forced to put an elementary school every other block.
You are not. The area of effect only determines building upgrades. Cims will travel wherever they need to go to school. However, there are some modded elementary and high schools that use the vanilla models with much higher capacity and radius (see here).
still 300 cap. no shit sherlock.
and there was no way i could find something useful among the not rated content.

Turjan

Arcane
still 300 cap. no shit sherlock.
and there was no way i could find something useful among the not rated content.
The elementary school I linked has a capacity of 1500, the high school 2500. Also, it's very easy to change these things yourself.

Edit: And the next building theme has been released with some modern American family homes here.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I got this during the steam sale and I'm about to start playing. What are the mandatory/recommended mods for a first time player?

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I got this during the steam sale and I'm about to start playing. What are the mandatory/recommended mods for a first time player?

I'd say ChirpFilter, Traffic++, Pause on Load and some version of No More Purple Pollution are the bare essentials.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What does the pollution one do, just take the colour off the map or does it actually affect the pollution mechanic?

Turjan

Arcane
A first time player doesn't need any mods. There are lots of very nice mods available, but I think it's good to find out how the vanilla game works first. You could look at a few assets that change deathcare or garbage though, but you will see yourself what you may need. Or get that first person camera mod to look at things.

So, building themes keep appearing. This trailer theme is quite nice, probably also suited for forestry districts and more windy roads:

VGeZVkt.jpg

For a denser appearance, zone smaller.

If you built some districts in your old vanilla cities with highrise ban, changing to European also works very nicely. Usually, changing a theme doesn't change existing buildings, but a highrise ban blocks the last level up. So if you change the theme to European and lift the highrise ban, buildings change. For corner buildings, you need to demolish existing buildings on corners though, as the international theme (release state) did not have corner buildings.

Before:

After:

EOfb8Km.jpg

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, my Sims (or whatever you call them in thus game) are driving like complete morons. I have several 6-lane one way roads, which is of course perfectly normal in a town of 10 000 people (lul) with one coming off the highway as the main road into the city, but everyone only uses 2 lanes. 3 lanes turn left and 3 right, but everyone going right uses the rightmost lane and everyone going left uses the far left only. This creates huge jams that shouldn't exist. Traffic++ didn't do anything except add bus lanes. What do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom