Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - Top 50 WORST RPGs YOU'VE PLAYED vote thread

Turok

Erudite
Fallout 3 (if you can call that thing a RPG)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
NWN 1 and Fallout 3 stand out for me, though NWN1 was probably the absolute worst RPG I've ever played. I usually manage to avoid the really shit ones.

Oblivion wasn't actually all that bad, at least if you had some heavy modding going on. I finished it twice and don't regret it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'd actually like to see a list like this made just to see how many games on it are also on the Top 50 RPGs list :lol:

M0RBUS

Augur
I played Lionheart when I didn't have an internet. And I liked it.

Looking back (and I finished it twice) I find it was a decent enough game, nowhere near as bad as Oblivion or Fallout 3, which, at least for me, score very high in terms of the worst shit I have ever endured.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Today while packing all the shit I own in my room in boxes, I came across my Lionheart CD and manual.

Never played it, never will.

Topher

Cipher
You both are complaining about Dragon Age: Origins?

There's Dragon Age 2 which has one extremly retarded and forced plot, it isn't even funny.

It just feels like: Oh there's no conflict BOOOOOOOOOOM --> now there it is

Seemed like shit; so I didn't bother to play it. Although, the third game has ever so slightly piqued my interested.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DA:O was fun for me. OK, didn't achieve everything I wanted but I played it and finished it and had fun while doing that.
DA2 though.... I never opened it again when enemies jumped down from the air in the middle of the wilderness. Seriously, wtf.

Then there is also Oblivion. The first 10-15 minutes I was like, wow this looks nice and open and stuff...after this honeymoon period I noticed that every NPC was saying the same shit, the main quest was a boring piece of shit and the enemies were scaling to my levels so much that the fucking crabs in the starting areas were becoming evill supermonsters after some levels. Fuck that shit.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to shitty games. I can squeeze fun out of games like Fallout 3 or Dragon Age. If I don't like something, I stop playing way before I am able to judge if a game deserves 'worst rpg ever'. However, here are the exceptions that come to my mind:

High-Profile games:
-Oblivion
-Sudeki
-Fable

Low-Profile games:
-Legend of Candlekeep
-Eschalon

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
In order of decreasing shittiness:
DA:I
Oblivion
FO3
NWN2 OC
Fable
Guild Wars 2
Diablo 3 (could be a good game but Blizzard's greed ruined it)
D:OS
Gothic 3
DX:HR (not so bad per se but deserves a honorable mention as the most overrated RPG ever)

There were some other games I couldn't get into but I don't really consider them bad. I'm just too much of a graphics whore and they looked ugly as hell.

Leitz

Learned
A much more interesting thread would be "worst RPGs that everybody should play for camp value".

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Diablo games. Dungeon Siege games. Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy 7. Stonekeep. Descent to Undermountain. Everquest (every fantasy mmo ever), Metalheart Replicants, Pool of Radiance, Elder Scrolls: Battlespire, Neverwinter Nights Original campaign, Really most jrpgs in general, most Diablo clones, Souls of Fire, and for most effort getting a game to work but hating the result goes to Skyrealms of Jorune.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Today while packing all the shit I own in my room in boxes, I came across my Lionheart CD and manual.

Never played it, never will.
I bought it on GOG and started it.

The writing gave me ebola.

Seeing historic characters such as DaVinci raped by such poor writing and obvious cash-in of the SPECIAL system and Fallout cache made me sad beyond belief. I remember the shitstorm Lionheart stirred up on the BIS boards back in the day.. yea, it was all justified. Fuck that game.

OTOH, someone on the Beamdog boards found a way to extract the map art and it looks like good IE mod material. Maybe something positive will come of it.

rado907

Savant
The ones I really hated:
- NWN (skipped 2...)
- Dragon Age 1&2 (skipped 3...)

Also I didn't particularly like KOTOR (skipped sequel).

Risen 1&2 were pretty bad.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Neverwinter Nights I guess. I just couldn't get myself to finish it. It was good enough, I can't find anything I really disliked about it except that it was boring.

I don't really play shit.

I enjoyed Oblivion like the FPS with RPG elements it actually is.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
There was a 90's RPG called Dungeon Hack. First RPG I bought. It was awful. I had no idea what was going on (I was 10) http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/28552/dungeon+hack.html

Interesting. You were 10. I was considerably older.

I bought Dungeon Hack (from hence referred in this piece as Hacked Off) on the spur of the moment thing from a local games store. In those days advertisers could say what they want about a game and get away with it. No internet or Metacritic to dispute their claims. Many games didn't get reviewed in the magazines.

There is something romantic linking "Dungeon" with RPG. Think the cover art for Dungeon Master. Think 99 Barbarians and the old 3-maze like games from the 80s and 90s. You and a bunch of your best friends are trapped in a deep, dark, dangerous and lonely dungeon equipped only your wits and torch. Can you escape? It's your wet dream.

We just had a bunch of Forgotten Realms games go through and the Eye of the Beholders. Hacked Off promised you the chance to become a dungeon creater - there was an infinite number of dungeons to create with only your imagination the limit. When you did the AD&D pen and paper were you envious about the DM - did you suspect you could do a better job?

There was this "unique seed" thing that allowed you to share your designs with your mates. They could play them and see how great you were. You could meet and talk about your creations. In some pathetic way in the back of your mind you even though it was multiplayer and if you both played them at the same time you would meet in the dungeon. Wow.

So I bought the game and played a few times and slowly realised some things.

Firstly, I didn't have any mates who played RPG.

Secondly - the dungeons were rubbish. Simple. No puzzles apart from finding the red key like Doom. The graphics were 10 years behind the time. There was no interaction or party.

Hacked Off was possibly the worst RPG I ever played.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I regret playing:

Pillows of Eternity
Oblivion
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Fallout 3
Icewind Dale 1+2
Nwn1 OC

Obama Phone 3

Learned
Never like anything by Troika Games, unlike everyone else on this site. Also disliked Planescape: Torment.

Liked:
  • Fallout 2
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Gothic 2
  • Oblivion (don't hate me)
  • Arx Fatalis
  • Dragon Age: Origins

likaq

Arcane
Never like anything by Troika Games, unlike everyone else on this site. Also disliked Planescape: Torment.

Liked:
  • Fallout 2
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Gothic 2
  • Arx Fatalis

Last edited:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron

Liked:
  • Fallout 2
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Gothic 2
  • Arx Fatalis

Disliked PS:T as a game. Enjoyed the epub I read last year. It's the superior PS:T experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom