Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Warrior 2

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
http://flyingwildhog.com/eng/game/Shadow-Warrior-2
So, Shadow Warrior is now a co-op FPS with loot grindan and procedurally generated maps. How utterly... unsurprising.
Must every modern game have procedural generation to compensate for the lack of good level design and length?
I just want to play as Wang. The singleplayer campaign is still there, but I don't want to pause every second to see if this Surreal Broken Hobbit Toenail of Jackhammering has a higher Finger Glove Regeneration stat than my Wizards' First Epic Plain Brass Ring of Dawn and Destruction.
I wonder if the procedural generation translates to: "you'll be facing these set of rooms in a random order" or "here's some random side-rooms and enemies thrown in as well"

Alfons

Prophet
The procedural generation killed any interest I had in the game. To be fair though, the previous installment had such shitty "level design" it might as well been random. Just a big room with a clusterfuck of enemies. Slashing demons was fun but repetitive. Probably worth a purchase on sale to kill a couple of hours.

Edit: Keh.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Hmmm... coop and procedural make it a bit more interesting. But let's see some gameplay first...

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Why are these guys still allowed to make games? My vibrators feel more like SMGs than they SMG they put in Shadow Warrior.

Astral Rag

Arcane
fallout-2-smoking-eyes-o.gif

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The jumping around on roofs looks really Ninja-like. Coop is also great.
But I still don't like it, don't know why... is it because it looks generic, cheap? But the visuals are nice, and gameplay looks smooth. It's certainly not "cheap" :|
Perhaps bland and repetitive? But Serious Sam was too, and I still liked it better... give me the reason for my distaste...

Eyeball

Arcane
Actually, I am genuinely excited for this.

Shadow Warrior 2013 was an abomination when compared to SW1997. The Lo Wang there had nothing to do with the glorious campiness that was SW97's awesome racist steretype.

HOWEVER: SW13 still managed to be an extremely enjoyable first-person slasher game, with some of the most furious swordfights I've seen since Revengeance and way more goriness and action in the swordfights. The story was massively derp, but generally took a backseat to the surprisingly entertaining murderslashery.

If SW2 can promise more of the same, I am definitely on board. Additionally, I love Borderlands-y first person RPG mayhem, so if they manage to take SW1s entirely functional combat engine, add some even remotely decent RPG mechanics and char development options and then put us in a randomly generated world to rampage through, SW2 would be what I've wanted for bloody years: a fun, murderous FPS/RPG with randomly generated levels.

I, for one, am cautiously hopeful. I just hope they fire that cunt who voiced Lo Wang in the first game and hire the guys who wrote SW1997 to write this puppy.

Israfael

Arcane
This doesn't look as bad as the description suggested. Looks better than Brutal Doom 3, at least.

This looks really strange - the person playing is obviously using KB + mouse (or he's a joystick pro ninja, i dont know, never played really anything on consoles), yet weapon selection process is totally consolized. Still, looks good, co-op is the thing for SS clones like this.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
First one was quite fun, but mostly because of encounter design forcing you to constantly move and prioritize targets. With procedurally generated maps and parkour, it's probably going to be way too easy to exploit enemy AI. Still, if they keep the very satisfying melee combat, it might still be worth playing.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
First game was great. My favorite FPS of the past few years, with very underrated melee. Not sure about the procedurally generated route, but opening up the levels and including co-op will be interesting.

Alfons

Prophet
First one was quite fun, but mostly because of encounter design forcing you to constantly move and prioritize targets.
Did we play the same fucking game?
"constantly move"- Yeah, because at certain points there were around 40 enemies who all have line of sight on you wherever you go.
"prioritize targets"- Nope. Just attack whoever is close and keep bunny hopping. I spent most of the endgame jumping from wall to wall waiting for the thrust special move to charge up.
There are about 5 enemies in the entire game and the only interesting one was the "get over here" demon.

Boleskine

Arcane
New gameplay video from PAX East. I suggest watch with sound muted unless you enjoy obnoxious gamerbro dorito personalities.

The game looks pretty good.

Ivan

Arcane
Flying Wild Hog are also re-releasing Hard Reset for current gen consoles.

They've added a sword, the dash from nu-Shadow Warrior, and a cyborg-zombie enemy.

I liked the original. Will pick it up, as original owners receive a discount.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing how the game is a shitty corridor shooter it will fit right in with consoles.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm shocked to see that PC requirements did not jumped massively (with Win10 exclusivity as a cherry on the top and GF1080) like it did with other remasters (Gears of Warboredom)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom