Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
It also made the experience garbage.

Predictability ftw in stealth games.

If you say so. Personally, I thought that the game's AI is mostly very predictable. I invented a couple distraction shots and other silly stuff you can do to manipulate the AI and have it walk precisely where you want it. Point is, the AI is predictable enough that the disguises in 2 and 3 work as they are intended - they let you not be shot on sight and have you stick only to cover, you can for example walk into a restricted area and the guys in watchtowers and on patrol routes nearby won't open fire, but you have to really carefully maneuver if you are going to actually enter such a gathering by giving the AI a wide berth, looking away from them and so on. It's best to simply avoid close encounters in narrow corridors, most levels are designed to create little vaults you can hide in to avoid such close encounters, and also certain disguises are above any suspicion (mostly those with a superior-inferior relationship (common grunts tend to be more lenient in examining their bosses' identity) or those that involve a mask, i.e. in Hitman 2 the ninja disguise (but not in the outdoors Japanese missions due to their special AI), the fireman disguise in Basement Killing or the SWAT disguise in Hitman Contracts).

Point is, Hitman 2&3 system was good because it penalized reckless running about and rewarded making use of running, walking and sneaking. Running was for when you were in an open space (or your suit; in your suit, you never trigger any suspicion, even when running, unless you're walking into a restricted area or doing something suspicious; this knowledge makes levels like Invitation To A Party a breeze), walking was for careful maneuvering around the AI and closing in on targets from a certain distance, while sneaking was for stalking, ambushing and making absolutely no noise. In Blood Money, you honestly only ever need to run and sometimes to sneak (optimally, ofc). In Retardolution, the only acceptable routine is to crouch-run (lower profile means you make use of all the little pieces of cover around you, and AFAIK there's no difference in speed between crouch-running and actual running) and crouch-walk (when you actually need to be sneaky). Instinct

Hitman AI is extremely exploitable and you can predict exactly where any guard, target or civilian will go if you shoot a silenced weapon near them, if you flash a weapon in their face, if you fire a loud weapon in a room next to them, etc. etc. It's predictable enough IMHO.

Catfish

Learned
Hitman 2 the ninja disguise (but not in the outdoors Japanese missions due to their special AI), the fireman disguise in Basement Killing or the SWAT disguise in Hitman Contracts

I distinctly remember the ai spazzing out for no reason in all three cases :) but the points still stand, the older games rewarded patience and ingenuity, and absolution killed that

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is this idiocy with targets appearing for a limited time? How is that fun? I can't play the whole game unless I cancel my real life plans to visit my sick mother that weekend?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What is this idiocy with targets appearing for a limited time? How is that fun? I can't play the whole game unless I cancel my real life plans to visit my sick mother that weekend?
People are reading too much into this. I'm sure there will be a main campaign and then some ability to do these randomly generated or whatever side missions like the 'contracts' in Absolution.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I cannot wait to play as a female hitman aka Agent 48.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, are they making that girl you rescued in Absolution the #femaleprotagonist? Seems like everything is going that direction including Witcher with Ciri.

Adon

Arcane
People are reading too much into this. I'm sure there will be a main campaign and then some ability to do these randomly generated or whatever side missions like the 'contracts' in Absolution.

That's what I initially thought as well, but after reading this, I'm not so sure. Taken straight from their website.

A ‘LIVE’ Experience
One of the reasons why we’re calling this a new start for HITMAN is also the idea of releasing a digitally led product. That can mean a lot of different things depending on who you are, but for us it means we’re going to make HITMAN available first via direct download.

We’re embracing what digital can offer a blockbuster game series like HITMAN – it allows us to do things that are both bold and exciting and entirely new to the Hitman experience.

We are building an expanding and evolving world of assassination. The experience will begin on December 8th and we will release new locations, missions and hits over time at regular intervals through 2016, which means we’ll all be able to share in the excitement of a new content drop at the same time. Rather than unboxing a game, playing it and then that’s sort of it, we want to deliver a true community experience - creating an ongoing and evolving game which plays out with a finale that brings the story arc together. Our primary goal is to keep HITMAN players fully engaged, so between bigger drops we will be creating one-off live events and live targets to keep you immersed in the experience.

Imagine a target appearing for every player in the world, for a limited time only… let’s say 48 hours. Where your one shot counts. And when that target is gone, it is gone forever. A shared experience where we imagine the HITMAN community will come together every time a new mission or new location appears. For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story.

Another big part of this new approach is that we will develop the game with you, the players, and adjust gameplay and create live content and events based on player activity and feedback - so the game will deepen and evolve as time progresses. The experience begins on December 8th on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC and will reach well into 2016.

Exclusives and beta
If you saw HITMAN revealed at the Sony E3 Press Conference, you heard the word “exclusive” a couple of times. We’d just quickly like to run through what that means. PlayStation 4 will be the only console where you can experience the beta and where you can play it first. A PC beta is planned to arrive a week later. The beta is available for pre-orders now. As for the PlayStation 4 exclusive contracts, they are only available to those people who own a PS4 copy of the game.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just hope that the game itself is complete in box and that these stupid temporary events aren't what I'm actually paying for. Not that I'm going to pay $60 for this in the first place.

Zombra

Patron
Just watched the trailer again. Morgoth is so right. Really gets me pumped even though gameplay is anybody's guess at this point.

One other comment I wanted to make is that I'm super impressed at how they made 47 look young, since HITMAN takes place in the past, in the early days of his career. It's just a really great touch.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe it will be a 'soft time limit', you know missions that appear in the campaign once, between 'main missions', essentially optional, but one time (not on the next playthrough). Maybe.

Stinger

Arcane
One other comment I wanted to make is that I'm super impressed at how they made 47 look young, since HITMAN takes place in the past, in the early days of his career. It's just a really great touch.
It actually takes place after Absolution.

Zombra

Patron
It actually takes place after Absolution.
Eh? Source? Seems pretty bizarre for him to go back to ICA after all the mayhem and stupidity in Absolution's plot.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I thought the premise was he basically destroyed ICA or, at least, most of their management. If you go by the lore it has a Board of Directors but they seemingly only care about the bottom line. That being the case you'd want the best Hitman in the world working for you.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom