Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PC Gaming Show at E3 2015: Pillars of Eternity: The White March Expansion Pack Announced

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It seems logical to me that T:ToN will atleast be somewhat superior to PoE.

Yes, it does seem logical and expectable, but only because I find it hard to fathom that something could be inferior to PoE (well, other than really puny or fucked-up productions, eg Raven's Cry, Risen 3...). :smug:

Ulrox

Arbiter
Admittedly, the reasoning behind my statement was sorta unrelated to the topic at hand, and yet not completely alien to it: my fears are mostly writing/story related (I'm a storyfag, after all).

I accept that it's story may not be up to snuff, but there's nothing that indicates to me that it would be bad. Story is the main focus for T:ToN.
Furthermore, both games seem to have followed a similar development process, and share quite a bit of the same "legacy" aura/curse, not to mention fanbase. Last, it's just a feeling drawn from the general "feel" of the latest "big" RPGs, and every new info, piece of news or trailer is an added nail to the coffin.

You seem unable to pinpoint the reasons for the fears that you have, hence why I felt the need to point out that I do not find it rational. Perhaps if you do some more soul searching you may be able to pinpoint where your fears come from, and see if they are rational. The same fanbase should have nothing to do with why a game sucks - the fans don't make the game. Lastly, I dont believe in aura's or curses, only in competence and incompetence.

Which is totally what I said.

My point being that it seems unreasonable to lose faith in InXile just because Obsidian failed to deliver with PoE. Here's my reasons for Torment not being shit:

It will be turn based, which would fix many of the issues with PoE.
It's encounters are hand crafted puzzles, which again was an issue with PoE (Too much trash combat)
Colin Mccomb has not come out publicly to say that pretty much all rpg system gets it wrong, and that grognards only enjoy IE combat for nostalgia's sake.

There's probably other reasons, but these would be the main reasons of the top of my head. InXile seems to hit all the right sensibilities for me atleast.

then again, inxile did make Wasteland 2, a piece of crap attempt at a post apocalyptic turn based rpg that manages to make even PoE look good.
Wasteland 2 was good you fucking broken record. It was better than PoE anyway.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree. Wasteland 2 was better than PoE. <insert even more PoE fortress hate />

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Durlag's , Durgan's
Is this intentional to trigger some instinctive response from the B.G. fans? :)
Can't have a spiritual successor to one of the greatest games of all times without a Durgal/Drulag/Drugan/Durgan's Tower/Keep/Fort/Pillar/Battery.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You seem unable to pinpoint the reasons for the fears that you have, hence why I felt the need to point out that I do not find it rational. Perhaps if you do some more soul searching you may be able to pinpoint where your fears come from, and see if they are rational. The same fanbase should have nothing to do with why a game sucks - the fans don't make the game. Lastly, I dont believe in aura's or curses, only in competence and incompetence.

Fears, by definition, are not rational. Logic reasoning is the death of fears.

I'll try to explain further, for your very sake. First, I perceive the games as similar in "category", scope and expectation, namely the "new releases that are the direct legacy to some epic milestone of old" subgenre. Secondly, let's be honest, inXile doesn't exactly have the most sterling of track records, when it comes to games released: the only 3 RPGS released so far are BT(2004), Hunted (PEW PEW!), and WL2 (which I haven't played but has been receiving very mixed reactions, a bit leaning towards the shit side, to be honest). The rest of their titles aren't exactly worth even mentioning, in all fairness.

Oh, about fans not having influence over a game's development, there is at least a whole company, which I shall not mention, whose last 5 titles strongly beg to differ.

That said, I backed it and can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm just extremely ready for disappointment.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
then again, inxile did make Wasteland 2, a piece of crap attempt at a post apocalyptic turn based rpg that manages to make even PoE look good.

I accept your argument as sensible, but I still have faith that InXile can deliver. They're using PoE's engine and have a somewhat larger amount of money to work with this game on. It seems logical to me that T:ToN will atleast be somewhat superior to PoE.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Which is totally what I said.

My point being that it seems unreasonable to lose faith in InXile just because Obsidian failed to deliver with PoE. Here's my reasons for Torment not being shit:

It will be turn based, which would fix many of the issues with PoE.
It's encounters are hand crafted puzzles, which again was an issue with PoE (Too much trash combat)
Colin Mccomb has not come out publicly to say that pretty much all rpg system gets it wrong, and that grognards only enjoy IE combat for nostalgia's sake.

There's probably other reasons, but these would be the main reasons of the top of my head. InXile seems to hit all the right sensibilities for me atleast.

Wasteland 2 was good you fucking broken record. It was better than PoE anyway.

tumblr_n53e36oWd61tq4of6o1_500.gif

jon-snow-dead-1434365334.gif

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Wait, they're releasing ONE expansion in TWO parts? What the hell is this?:S And how long is it supposed to be? 5-10 hours per part? wat? Is this a joke?:S What the fuck are they doing?

Whatever, couldn't force myself to finish POE.=( I wanted to though, I tried really hard! So doubt I'll be buying this thing. Would still hope it'd turn out to be GOOD regardless. Just seems like they're half-assing the fuck out of it though.

And definitely, WL2 > POE.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't see how anybody could consider WL2 to be a better designed game than PoE; it has a slight advantage on the c&c front, but that doesn't matter much when virtually every other game system is either severely flawed or simply tedious.

Wait, they're releasing ONE expansion in TWO parts? What the hell is this?:S

They need the cash, and they're pressed for time. Every day without new content is another day for fickle gamers to delete PoE off their hard drive.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Let's see if the enhanced version of Wasteland 2 is better. I was really liking the writing and gameplay, but stopped playing to wait for the new version.

As for PoE, the game is great as is, can't wait to play how many how parts and expansions they make, as long as the quality remains the same. My high level backer status should provide for all :smug:

DeepOcean

Arcane
True but that was before they turned the place on the Obsidian refugee camp. I think now that they are safe from Feargus tanks, they can do something cool.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ok retards, listen up:

Fact one: W2 is just slightly better than PoE.

Fact two: W2 is a shitty game.

Fact three: PoE is a horrible game. I wish I didn’t bought that game. The expansions will be worse now that Obsidian is a sinking ship controlled by Sawyer. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who still have hopes for them.

Fact four: what made W2 a shitty game was bad writing, broken combat system, poor encounter design, a trillion time sink skills implemented in an artificial way and a jRPG design mentality with bloated HP enemies and trash mobs.

Fact five: there are good reasons to believe in TToN. The team has more talent and they didn’t made the same design mistakes of W2. Even the art and graphics is better. My only fear is that they will most likely rush to release an unpolished game.

Fact six: even if TToN don’t suck, I don’t think that it would feel like the genuine article. The only salvation for players that have any taste are studios that went full indies such as Whalenought, Iron Tower, Stygian, MONO, InnerVoid, etc. We need more studios such as these and they need more support from us. If all the money you wasted on terrible games such as PoE and W2 would directed to them, we would all profit from it. Most people here live in the past with their heads turned to popstar devs. Wake the fuck up!

Gicusan

Educated
Hmm, quite some hate for Wasteland and PoE. They deserve plenty critics but those games are not "shit". Compared to the hitchhiking simulators and the age of anal dragons, they are miles away from the toilets with those 2. Dont tell me you guys liked Follout 3 more than Wasteland 2.

Between the 2 I also liked Wasteland more, especially because TB combat. Other than that, it felt good playing both games. Most of the time. I mean they are decent and it feels similar in atmosphere with the old games we love. Not the great games we were hoping for but both the developers and us are older and different now. And most of us burnt by the long drought.

Still, considering what games we could play in the last years before Kickstarter hit, this is not bad time to play in at all. Yes, I wish I was 20 and playing Torment again, but that wont come back. And Torment like Torment but I used to court two sisters, 18, with the best asses ever....;) Now they are almost hags I guess. As the developers are. As we are. I say Wasteland 2 and PoE are the classics getting older. It sucks to get old. Or we can accept it.

Tigranes

Arcane
I enjoyed WL2 & POE, but you'd have to really, really hate POE to consider it worse than WL2. Wasteland 2 looks worse, writes worse, runs worse, and plays worse (even with the advantage of being turn-based!). WL2 was exactly what you'd expect from a studio that hasn't made a proper RPG in a decade trying to get its shit together.

Still think Torment could be pretty damn cool, though. What we see and know of it so far is significantly better, prettier and more interesting than what we heard of WL2 during development.

We knew the expansion pack will be in 2 parts and that it will be a TOTSC style. Need more details to talk about it, realy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hmm, quite some hate for Wasteland and PoE. They deserve plenty critics but those games are not "shit". Compared to the hitchhiking simulators and the age of anal dragons, they are miles away from the toilets with those 2. Dont tell me you guys liked Follout 3 more than Wasteland 2.

Between the 2 I also liked Wasteland more, especially because TB combat. Other than that, it felt good playing both games. Most of the time. I mean they are decent and it feels similar in atmosphere with the old games we love. Not the great games we were hoping for but both the developers and us are older and different now. And most of us burnt by the long drought.

Still, considering what games we could play in the last years before Kickstarter hit, this is not bad time to play in at all. Yes, I wish I was 20 and playing Torment again, but that wont come back. And Torment like Torment but I used to court two sisters, 18, with the best asses ever....;) Now they are almost hags I guess. As the developers are. As we are. I say Wasteland 2 and PoE are the classics getting older. It sucks to get old. Or we can accept it.

Fallout 3 or Skyrim are much more enjoyable experiences than Wasteland 2.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Not really. Games such as AoD and Underrail are new classics by any standards and they feel like the genuine article. I didn't lost my capacity for enjoying good games.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Fact three: PoE is a horrible game. I wish I didn’t bought that game. The expansions will be worse now that Obsidian is a sinking ship controlled by Sawyer. I feel sorry for the poor bastards who still have hopes for them.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...illars-of-eternity.98676/page-37#post-3876754 :M

That is because I was deluded trying to defend a game that I played for just three hours. I changed my mind later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom