Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
And in Fallout 4 they can't :kfc:

Unless they change that later.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Toddler said:
"[The dog] does not die, because we realize that's automatic re-load," Howard said. "We like to make the game where the only scenario where you re-load is your own death. So, like a lot of open world games, they'll have it where 'you failed this mission, go ahead and press "A" to redo it.' We don't ever want to do that. So, we've got to handle all failstates and some of those we have to do like, 'Okay, the dog can't die, because you're just going to re-load.'"

Is this the most retarded way ever to handle savescumming? Make everything immortal! :lol:

I'll take Sawyer's overly elaborate and occasionally retarded solutions to handle "degenerate gameplay" over this hamhanded sledgehammer shit any day. I wonder if NPCs no longer turn hostile if you attack them because "you know, we realize that's just automatic re-load".

I have to actually admire this dudes creativity on thinking of new ways to fuck over the real fallout fancommunity. Hes like the Albert Einstein of raping our Asses.

No failstate because it would lead to a reload. Wow....

nordbird

Novice

28.8bps Modem

Prophet

Toddler said:
"[The dog] does not die, because we realize that's automatic re-load," Howard said. "We like to make the game where the only scenario where you re-load is your own death. So, like a lot of open world games, they'll have it where 'you failed this mission, go ahead and press "A" to redo it.' We don't ever want to do that. So, we've got to handle all failstates and some of those we have to do like, 'Okay, the dog can't die, because you're just going to re-load.'"

Is this the most retarded way ever to handle savescumming? Make everything immortal! :lol:

I'll take Sawyer's overly elaborate and occasionally retarded solutions to handle "degenerate gameplay" over this hamhanded sledgehammer shit any day. I wonder if NPCs no longer turn hostile if you attack them because "you know, we realize that's just automatic re-load".

Bleh, how do they not understand that the original dogmeat was memorable precisely because he was mortal. He was pretty much fated to die in every game, even if he managed to avoid being fried by stray plasma bolts or riddled with minigun bullets his tendency to wander through forcefields in the military base would kill him. It was so infamous they made it his canonical death.

What are people going to say about Bethdog? "Remember that time he performed his canned attack animation? Classic dogmeat!"
They'll probably put some terrible faux-pathos filled scene in at the end where you have to send him in to a radiation filled room to push a button.

Azeot

Arbiter
honestly, having an immortal dog is not that big of a deal compared to other flaws. It's just less of an headache to manage and the game doesn't have to be taken too seriously, so who cares. It's not like you're paying for it.
Also, he will probably be the only meaningful, well written companion of the entire game.

Seerix

Arbiter
Dogmeat was Dogmeat. Bethesda turned him into "best friend" cliche. And I introduced him to a very friendly ripper in FO3. :) FO4? I guess pushing tilde, clicking the mongrel and typing "disable" won't be so difficult. And all signs point to very barebone main questline* so it probably won't even brake too many things.

*I won't be surprised if they came up with some "radiant" main quest which is just getting the several "wow moment" main quests between probably doing random sidequests until you get enough points or whatever to unlock next main one lol

pippin

Could have sworn they showed a bit of video where you could mix and match various models. Of course, the question is what does that mean gameplay wise? Is it just aesthetics? My guess is probably yes and it doesn't have much of an impact on armor or stats or whatever. Especially since skills are gone.

It's going to be aesthetic maybe, but I wish they manage to give you some bonuses or abilities that only work when you have a full armor set. I mean, even Bioware could figure that out.

Fact: New Vegas managed to make companions functional to both gameplay and story. NV and FO2 are the only games where I picked companions; but in 2 they were more like packing mules and moving targets for my enemies. FO3 companions were retarded and had awful AI and pathfinding. They at least fixed the pathfinding in NV, and some of the AI as well.

btbgfel

Scholar
It's acceptable if skills are changed to ranked perks, some modder will change them into 100-rank perks anyway.
Dialogue wheel, well, given bethesda writing skillz, I will just randomly pick a topic and be done with it.Dialogue wheel will only make it more convenient.+MI pity mod writers though.

I banged Nyarlathotep, I beat Oblivion, I beat FO3
and pillars of eternity:troll:
, I will certainly remain sane.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
honestly, having an immortal dog is not that big of a deal compared to other flaws. It's just less of an headache to manage and the game doesn't have to be taken too seriously, so who cares.
It's far from the end of the world, but it is definitely a bad thing. In Fallout 1, you go to Shady Sands and can beat Seth to a pulp if you like. In New Vegas, you can LARP that Doc Mitchell clumsily "rooting around in your noggin" caused permanent brain damage, and murder Sunny Smiles and her mutt Cheyenne the moment you see them.

In Fallout 4, you're gonna step outside Vault 111, see a dog, kick his ass for fun because this is (supposedly) Fallout, only to be met by the following message: Dogmeat is unconscious.

And the same will be true for faction leaders and "important" NPC's all over the world. We're all about player freedom! The freedom to do as we have designed.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
In Fallout 4, you're gonna step outside Vault 111, see a dog, kick his ass for fun because this is (supposedly) Fallout, only to be met by the following message: Dogmeat is unconscious.

Then you repeat this 200 times during the course of the game but you are still best friends forever and Sad Violin plays when Dogmeat's unavoidable scripted death happens.

I'll gladly take entire villages no longer turning hostile on a failed pickpocket attempt, though. High-risk, low-reward skill = instadump

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It'll die in a cutscene and the moment will go on to win a million "Most Emotionally Engaging Moments In Games" awards.

:negative:

It's terrible that while this can be perceived as said in jest, it could very well come true.

Well, who knows. I could be emotionally engaging. But then if that is so it will likely be scripted and un-Fallout, and therefore undeserving.

So it doesn't die, can deliver items and fuck shit up. Next logical step is interacting with quest giving NPCs.

tumblr_mz9vea5ciV1qdlh1io1_250.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom