Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

T. Reich

Arcane
Someone plz reduce the number of CyberP's dumbass tags - each stupid post of his is taking up my entire amazing HD 1024x768 screen.

I recommend putting him on ignore. The results are astounding! And nothing of value is lost either.
I've come to realise that while his "dumbfuck" tag is spot-on, his "shitposter" tag is even more so. Ignoring him is not a matter of reducing the amount of dumb you see, it's about reducing the amount of shit you see.

Some threads (like this one) become pretty hilarious to read. You keep reading the posts, and then all of a sudden several people start telling someone that that invisible person is a dumb fuck and/or insane.

Then it turns out that it's CyberP whose posts you simply can't see (and all the better for it).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
First person has far greater potential in terms of interactivity (so gameplay)
Jokes on you, it is actually the THIRD-PERSON perspective that not only gives you a similar perspective of a first-person view, but it also lets you see your own player character, which somehow ALSO increases gameplay possibilities! Checkmate!
The joke here being that they're just different views on the game. Some genres are better suited for one perspective than another for obvious reasons. It's why you don't play real-time strategy games with a large amount of units in first-person, nor why fighting games are played from a top-down perspective. Fallout can go with any perspective, really.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
You're not looking at the bigger picture. The future will put things in perspective. I'll eat my proverbial otherwise.

And I see T.Reich is still butthurt over having his favorite toy bashed. Let it go you tool.

DraQ

Arcane
I wonder why people think that playing Doom with only the keyboard is pretty much how the Good Lord dictated it should be. Even the original Doom manual recommends to try using both keyboard and mouse simultaneously:
Because they err* and to err is human.
:M
edgy reactionary retards
:troll:
I don't think a maintenance merger would be a good solution though.

Here's a little design test/challenge for you: how would we prevent players from using weapons from any class as they please without the weapon skill requirements, without taking any weapon out of the game or reducing total inventory size?
I wouldn't. But with limited number of working weapons, lack of ability to keep them that way and fast degradation or spontaneous breakage even at high condition they just wouldn't get a lot of mileage out of weapons outside of their specialization, so the choice would be between carrying around an unreliable would be paperweight and something that will stay reliable and useful.

And yes, melee weapons should degrade too, apart from wrench.

Optimally you'd go for a "cross product" approach, with maintenance skill intact but only governing charge capacity and tool efficiency, but maintaining or repairing a weapon requiring both the relevant tech skill and weapon skill in addition to weapon skill governing degradation rate and breakage chance/threshold plus some other gameplay factors like reload speed.
The only weapons that may legitimately require skill to be fired are the two most demanding weapons from both EXO and HVY.

Also, skills should be rebalanced to offer more than diminishing returns per cybermodule.

Many of the RPG systems (hard/software upgrades) as well as inventory management and I guess hacking too are meant to be tied to it. It does feel a little more involved in SS1 though I guess.
Inventory management is just GUI. Most such games need that regardless of the protagonist being or not being a cyborg.
Hacking is doable without cyber rig, both commonsensically and in universe (see SS1 intro or quite few audiologs in SS2) and since it's conveyed by an abstract minigame you can't really tell how the protagonist does it, in contrast to SS1's cyberspace.
Most upgrades are either for things that shouldn't realistically need upgrades (firing an AR, shotgun, hell, even basic pistol) or would just need some training. Again it's basically what all RPG advancement systems are about and most RPG characters aren't cyborgs.
Software merely conveys abstract bonuses to abstract minigames so it's hard to discern the "cyber" part, you might just as well carry it on pendrives in your pants and plug them into anything you're currently hacking using TriOp's Futuristic USB(TM).

All in all there is not a single gameplay element in SS2 that feels inherently cyber, necessitating a jacked protagonist - it's all story completely segregated from gameplay.
OTOH SS1 is full of gameplay elements that would make no sense otherwise.

1. Popamole FPS originated and was popularized on PC. Console shooters and PC shooters were very similar to each other in the 90's, until the Colla Dootys and Counterstrikes (and the Halos) as well as the decline in general.
Umm... No?
Popamole generally refers to "cover system". Cover system in its current for has been introduced by Killswitch which was primarily a console TPS, while the elements of it were earlier introduced by console games like MGS or Winback.

2. Console pads > Keyboard only.
Hello? Earth to CyberP.
DOOM, in it's original form is dead. It's not coming back. When we are speaking about faithful sequel or spiritual successor of DOOM it's pretty obvious that it will feature full 3D and exact aiming for the same reasons it won't feature monsters in form of massively pixelated sprites or 8-bit color palette. And no, you can still make faithful sequel with mouse-aim and better graphics as clearly indicated by source ports, but DOOM 4 won't be that sequel. Whatever argument you're trying to make is irrelevant.

And no, your logic would only be relevant if the console first person shooters diverged from PC ones somewhere around Doom and didn't try to mingle with or appropriate elements of PC ones (same with PC shooters appropriating shit like cover systems and whatnot). But since they did not it is not.

Significantly so.
No, only slightly because it's very rare that you ever want to move at less than full speed. Seriously watch a competitive FPS player on a console and watch how often he only pushes a stick part way. It would be <5% of the time.

Seriously, how would Doom be improved by the ability to move at half speed, much less analog percentage of speeds?
Also this.

As other's have said, it helps more in a stealth game where speed variation matters more. However, even then the best speed controls I've seen are on PC. Some of the Splinter Cell games have the mouse wheel control speed and it's much more precise and fine control than an analog stick.
Slower, though.
Still, working around KB's limitations in regards to movement is something most FPS players do subconsciously by moving intermittently or weaving with the mouse when not aiming. It's possible, because in almost every case moving slower can be simply translated into moving less efficiently and that's easy to do.

Working around pad's aiming limitations, OTOH isn't really possible.

A question for the wise men: when was the leaning function discarded from shooters and action games in general? One would assume popamole shooters would be benefited from having a leaning function.
It was supplanted by sticky cover systems - you know, the "popamole" part of popamole shooters.

"A linear corridor cinematic takedown shooter from id and Bethesda"

https://youtu.be/l_XbtE6g3GM?t=1m25s
This looks about 100x better than the first video I saw.
Nah. It looks like slightly upgraded version of Oblivion gates recreated in plasticine.

Original DOOMs were stunningly diverse given the poverty of means they had to express themselves, this here looks like the same, bad looking shit repeated over and over.

T. Reich

Arcane
I don't know if it's been mentipned already, but the biggest reason I really hate D4 already is because all the gameplay vids so far demonstrate one thing a Doom game must not ever be: a fucking slow gameplay.
Monsters are slow to move and attack, hell, they even run away or waste time posturing!
Monsters don't come in packs but in sequences of 1, maybe 2.
And then they are also courteous to wait and not attack you while you take down one of them.
Player is slowly walking around at leisurely pace.
Player spends an inordinate amount of time taking monsters apart with bare hands (macho mode, yawn) or with those annoyingly long chainsaw takedowns.
Player spends a fucking eternity fiddling with a new weapon they found (yes, you designers made a pretty 3d model, well fuck off!).

The D4 footage makes me want to sleep, not play that snoozefest. Compare and contrast with the pace of the original id FPS titles.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
CyberP needs a pretty princess tag because the way he argues shit is very reminiscent of Volourn. "Consolization started on the PC, ROOFLES!"

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
*you can't really do a tactical shooter on a console because of the precision aiming requirements. Well you maybe could, but it wouldn't be able to be realistic, you'd need a low damage/health ratio so you could take your time to land sniper like shots.

:stupid:

No. You are just retarded.

FPS on pads are like performing brain surgery through the anus. Wondered why there is no CS:GO on consoles?

I can't do this anymore. Dumb, so very dumb and sensitive to facts.

FPS on pads are like performing brain surgery through the anus

In your no doubt very limited experience or perhaps natural cack-handiness. Try actually having experience in many forms of gaming, you're not quite so biased that way.

And did you seriously just use counterstrike as any kind of argument (to counter facts no less).

Also, hello dumbfuck!? http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/counter-strike-global-offensive

Fuck me. I didn't know Valve is so retarded.

However the next question is this: Why are console CS:GO players quarantined on dedicated game servers? Because I'm sure as hell they are not mixed with PC players.

DraQ

Arcane
CyberP needs a pretty princess tag because the way he argues shit is very reminiscent of Volourn. "Consolization started on the PC, ROOFLES!"

Well, consolization did by definition start on the PC since you cannot consolize a console game.
You could say that console games are already preconsolized.
:dance:

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The second gameplay trailer looked better than the one they showed at the press conference. But a few things still annoy: blinking enemies waiting to be finished, brown enemies in brown environments, Doom needs to be more colorful and the slowdown when you select your weapon. I hope it's a console / controller thing since on PC you'll be able to use 1-9 and hopefully not see the selection wheel.

Machocruz

Arcane
All these things that annoy people will continue to annoy, because this is what the people who make these games are being taught to do in design schools. And the people who didn't go to these entertainment design mills emulate the people who did. For one, they teach a hack brand of color theory where everything is based on color fields and monochrome color coding. You see it in recent films, with their one tone blue nights or green Matrix tint, and you see it in games. It's shorthand, no nuance. Plus, it's easier to color harmonize when you're only operating with one or two ranges of hues.

As far as play design, I think we can agree that ideas of Player Empowerment rules the day. Enemies don't attack while you're doing executions in D44M, just like aliens don't shoot you from the shadows in NuXCom. The computer can't get over on the player, can't have a trick up it's sleeve that catches the player out, can't exploit careless timing or positioning. They're going to give you a bunch of toys in Mankind Divided and XCom 2, and it doesn't seem that the enemy has much in the way of counter advantages. You want the player to be able to unleash the arsenal on peons every now and then, but there also has to be a continuous supply of obstacles weaved between those moments where they have something you don't have or a better version of what you have. Not just the bosses, either. I mean, you need that if you're not just making a game for idiot scrubs.

Nothing wrong with having faceroll games on the market, but that's what new IPs are for. But don't take Monopoly and turn it into Candyland.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Enemies not attacking while doing a cinematic takedown isn't about player empowerment, it's about dev ego. They need to show off their cinematic takedowns.

If you could be attacked while doing one, you never would because it would be a silly bad decision to. So to make it a viable move, you have to be invulnerable while doing it.

It's not about player empowerment because that would mean actually giving players *power* to do something instead of sitting there watching the cinematic.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Who knows what reasoning they attempt to use to justify shitty game design. Probably that it is simpler to make the AI stand there/have the player be invincible rather than having the player able to be interrupted (and thus have interrupt animations for the player and AI you're grabbing, as well as the programming of it all).

Dishonored, as lackluster as it was when it comes to Immersive sims, is a notable game for its takedowns. You weren't invincible when performing one (IIRC) and the conditions to execute a takedown weren't entirely retarded.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Takedowns are retarded. How many times you wanna sit through the animation of stuffing a Mancubus' heart down his throat?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Singular animations per enemy type aren't a rule. You can have hundreds, if you so choose. But of course time is money.

DraQ

Arcane
Actually,
Laughable. Like saying FO1 is a hybrid turn-based shooter/exploration game with heavy RPG elements. Deus Ex qualifies as an RPG as much as Fallout does. They share a lot in common even. There's next to nothing about Fallout that makes it more "pure", except more traditional PnP-inspired stat systems and taking turns to roll the die.
:stupid: here.

Way ahead, though:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpgs-in-the-2000s.64129/#post-1787483
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...is-generally-agreed.67412/page-6#post-1893279
+M

Add to Strife proper stats and you shall get Deus Ex 0.4

We're not doing this anymore. The collective retardation is overwhelming.
Why so butthurt given that Fowyr is factually correct?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What shooter levels used to look like (that's three floors too).

dEZMSxj.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom