Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh, they added a Dishonored Blink aug to the game (5:35 in the IGN gameplay video)

pippin

Jensen: "I can only fight enemies I see."

I guess you should prepare for...

Invisible War.
No Predator-Mode vision augment then. Why the fuck does he wear those sunglasses everywhere then?

Why wouldn't you wear sunglasses everywhere?

Also:

65.jpg

J1M

Arcane
What are the source/s of your information?

Mine comes from working with the code, Spector himself stating he doesn't program, and Spector's design document as well as his older ones dating back to just after the release of System Shock. His general demeanor points at design; his game dev lectures and academic work, interviews and so on. He was very involved, unless he's been living a lie. Deus Ex was "his dream game".

I've no idea why I occasionally see comments along these lines. Just because what he does now is nothing like DX, System Shock or Ultima Underworld, doesn't mean he wasn't a massive part of that evolution.

Additionally, as the producer of DX very little would have got past him.
There's an older thread that has a more robust discussion, but it sounds like we reached different conclusions in three areas:
-The importance of the contributions of Harvey Smith and Sheldon Pacotti
-How to assign blame for DX2
-What to take away from the 10+ hours of Spector's University of Texas lectures

SoupNazi

Heh, they added a Dishonored Blink aug to the game (5:35 in the IGN gameplay video)
Looks like it's just a long-distance melee attack though (it returns him to the original position after impacting the enemy)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wasn't the pc UI done special in Human Revolution?

They might do that again.

Diablo169

Arcane
I've been reliably informed by Corey Hart that wearing sunglasses particularly at night lets you "Watch you weave then breathe your story-lines" and more importantly "Keep track of the visions in my eyes"

Jensen clearly likes New Wave.

Siobhan

Arbiter

Please help a poor soul who doesn't play a lot of modern 3d games. I've watched this video three times in a row now and I'm still not sure: is the pre-swipe screen or the post-swipe screen supposed to look better? The only clear-cut case is the one with realtime reflections, but weren't those already part of the very first Unreal engine?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The reflections and fog effects are cool, but then the bloom and depth of field when will devs learn.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Eidos Montreal's Japanese connections through Square Enix give them access to the finest of desu desu cutscene creators.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The reflections and fog effects are cool, but then the bloom and depth of field when will devs learn.

I was never that bothered by the "piss filter" as a lot of people were, but this was very annoying in DXHR too. Even if you turn off depth of field and post processing, it's Blur City in many places, especially outdoors.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Infinitron said:

"I feel like the titan shield [the augmentation that gives you trianglez!] encapsulates the art direction of the whole franchise"
-JJB

No, it encapsulates the art direction of your shallow & nonsensical vision.

I don't recall hearing DX1 or Invisible War being mentioned either in any of these official E3 press releases. Just take Deus Ex's name, its concepts & butcher them, piss on them, and toss the source aside. It is history we rode on, and it is history we cannot wait to be forgotten. Excessive use of Trianglez as symbolizm and slow time augz are ze future!

Am I the only one who liked the Tron monochromatics of the 3rd game? I wish they had simply varied the color schematics, or used them as spot colors, to accentuate the artistry of the game, rather than overdo a single colour.

Love

Cipher
That demo was seriously underwhelming considering how hyped the trailer for Human Revolution got me back in the day. It was of course more clean cut and atmospheric, but it focused on the stealth aspects of the games which got my hopes up in front.
Maybe they're showing these combat situations now, because they want to show the improvement away from a solely stealth focused game or of course it's the usual dumping down every sequel experiences nowadays.

The focus mod seems like a terrible idea. Jensen can now go invisible, armor himself completely, explode all around him AND freeze time. This doesn't only seem to not fit the game, but also the world it takes place in. What's this technology? Something that not only speeds up Jensen's perception but also his flexibility against all physical limits?

J1M

Arcane
Retain a little perspective please. You have surely seen an E3 trailer before. Including one for a game with stealth elements.

The excitement of a stealth game is very difficult to convey in a short video. Marketing is not going to show you a stealth trailer because that would be choosing not to showcase the majority of the weapons and abilities and choosing to show you a dark corridor instead of a busy well-lit environment full of high-poly models.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom