Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

MoLAoS

The general problem isn't so much the ease of map-painting IMO, but that a smaller centralized state isn't going to rival a map-painting empire. Now, Development is a good step in the right direction, and it should be fairly easy to mod in a sliding scale of pros and cons that can make a smaller state a viable dynamic power.
Yeah, that's my big hope for Common Sense. I've never been a fan of blobbing. I won't be playing it until way down the bugfixing line and a VeF update, but really looking forward to finally building prosperianous empires rather than hordes in disguise.

If you wanted an empire management game you picked a terrible company. Paradox has one game with decent management but its just econ stuff and its still super simplified. EU4 and CK2 are TERRIBLE empire management games but somewhat decent blobbing simulators.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The general problem isn't so much the ease of map-painting IMO, but that a smaller centralized state isn't going to rival a map-painting empire. Now, Development is a good step in the right direction, and it should be fairly easy to mod in a sliding scale of pros and cons that can make a smaller state a viable dynamic power.
Yeah, that's my big hope for Common Sense. I've never been a fan of blobbing. I won't be playing it until way down the bugfixing line and a VeF update, but really looking forward to finally building prosperianous empires rather than hordes in disguise.
Well, so far it CS doesn't seem to have any major bugs that you'd run into by accident at least, so that part is at least at a fairly good stage.

One thing that after my recent campaign deserves special mention is that Development FINALLY makes Natives a little more viable because now you can actually afford to start colonizing ASAP and build enough powerbase to take out that "free land here" sign at your borders (my Sioux were never attacked by a non-Native country, actually; even though I succesfully cockblocked about a half of North America for myself). Though I still think it'd be about time they let North American natives keep their tribal buildings (or transfer them to direct equivalent benefits as long as they own the province) and tribal ideas, since that'd at least make them more important overall in colonial hijinks, continue keeping Native Council for immershun, and it'd let them keep their flavour features in full (and avoid the minor high risk situation that comes when you suddenly lose all your shit when reforming government).

Another reason why overseas attrition/costs would be a good thing is because it'd make Protectorate and allied Natives a lot more important as a source of additional troops when fighting a colonial war but lacking strong colonies of your own, and right now Indian-Colonial relations gameplay is kind of lacking beyond "free land here" signs and using Protectorates as roadblocks for enemy colonization paths.

Andnjord

Arcane
Another reason why overseas attrition/costs would be a good thing is because it'd make Protectorate and allied Natives a lot more important as a source of additional troops when fighting a colonial war but lacking strong colonies of your own, and right now Indian-Colonial relations gameplay is kind of lacking beyond "free land here" signs and using Protectorates as roadblocks for enemy colonization paths.

Which would force you to use alliances and internal strife to get anything done in India if you can't ship more than 5000 men at a time. Which would be excellent. Right now even if Hindustan forms you can just dump 30 000 superior tech troops and beat down a unified India senseless.

Maybe increasing the cost of transports would somewhat work, although that would probably mean you can just taxi those 30 000 men at leisure. Maybe a toggle like the raider one from CK2 to enable naval invasion and operation in overseas territories which would double the supply consumption of your troops? They would still need to improve how overseas territories are designed, but that could potentially work.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

It's completely stupid considering historically colonial nations fielded nearly no armies and an expeditionary corp of 6000 men would be considered the decisive victory factor.

I waste Hundred of thousands of manpower and gold protecting my colonial nations from absurdly powerful native rebels as well. It would have been simply impossible to thread in Mexico with more penalties. Colonies are evidently far from as lucrative as they were, You will never achieve Spain's boom in the 16th century with an immense output of gold form South America.

You will never get to make an Island who's wealth was worth the entirety of North America and more in the case of French Dominica. Because productivity and in addition rare oversea goods are completely worthless.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

Which would force you to use alliances and internal strife to get anything done in India if you can't ship more than 5000 men at a time. Which would be excellent. Right now even if Hindustan forms you can just dump 30 000 superior tech troops and beat down a unified India senseless.

Yeah if you play with the AI on easy... Well no its a lie anyway because the attrition would destroy you. But then if you play a piss easy nation like England in easy mode I guess it wouldnt be such a problem. Good luck holding those lands afterward, with the magical 200K imperial army high tech rebels appearing in the span of 30 years.

Andnjord

Arcane
Bof, if you raise autonomy and use your military mana points to suppress rebellions then they don't give you much trouble. And attrition is close to non-existent, as long as you don't stack them in a single province you can just maintain a 100 000 soldiers on the other side of the globe in a single theater of operation. A system more akin to HoI 3 supply system would be better but completely outside of the scope of the game.
Now, granted I haven't invaded India in the recent expansions, so maybe 30 000 won't be enough anymore. Still, the problem remains that you can ship endless amounts of troops to any part of the world to no repercussions other than taking them away from your home.

And I've never played as England (nor easy AI for that matter), most of the fun I get from EU IV is to start out small and then build up. Once you get your Big War (tm) where you make or break my interest vanishes quite a bit. With England you can just win the 100 year war and start a WC, not something I'm interested in.

EDIT: I've read your previous post and you grossly exaggerate the danger of native rebels. In my last game I had 10k troops on average defending my CN (spanning from North America to Mexico) and they were perfectly adequate to stomp rebels and Native nations at the same time. Especially once your CN starts creating mounds of troops, which I agree is a bit silly.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
military mana point to suppress rebelion will lead you to lag 100 years behind in military tech. And using your military in what is the equivalent of a war in peace time will result in your manpower reduced to 0 and debts. Attrition is not close to non existent especially in tropical climates. No you cant maintain 100 000 soldiers at the other side of the globe unless you already won this game. Yes I agree a supply system would be good for a change. But then you would also have to recreate the massive gap in power between Europeans and Africans/South Americans. Its not there yet at all.

Invading India was harder before. Outside of battles which are now harder. Because with the bullshit that is mil focus most Asians can keep up with the Europeans in Mil tech for a long time, due to playing outside Europe being significantly less costly in mana points. Lets no mention Ottomans because it sickens me how overpowered they are the entire game.

That depends if you're playing a hard game with heavy competition in colonisation. In which case you don't progress at a one province per 10 years pace and try to gobble up Mexico in 30 years. Needless to mention it was far faster for the Spaniards and they did not waste 1/3 of their imperial army fighting rebels equipped with imperial canons and logistics, guns and training. Not to mention that early in the game, at the time of the actual conquest, Aztecs or strong nations in this area can still overwhelm a 10K stack over time. Which is nonsense historically speaking, well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
CN's wouldn't need mounds of troops anyway if any colonial independence war didn't involve a hundred thousand troops shipping in from Europe to fight (though Common Sense seems to make the CNs a lot better at gaining independence and eager to do so, which is a good thing; I even saw Spain lose its entire colonial empire in a single war and I didn't even take an active role in that).

Though in terms of overseas shipping probably the most bizarre one was the 26k stack from MALACCA that was running around fighting in Mexico alongside the British.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Which is nonsense because Spain never lost it's colonial Empire in that span no matter how many wars they lost. Considering how expansive it is to participate in the colonial run, having to over colonize often, shipping men to help with natives which are considerably strong due to the catch up they do when you arrive, then fighting endless wars over colonies. Add to that they are more prone to rebel and the colonial conquest is completely useless.

Sperg all you want over them the day the 13 colonies field a small crappy army with 10 tech behind. Because that's what they should have.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
If I was interested on taking advantage of the Steam sale going on right now, which DLC would you guys suggest I get to get the most out of the game? Are any of them optional like in CK2, or do you think I should wait until next year or something to see if some of them become cheaper?

Edit: And when I say optional I mean do any just deal with a specific part of the game like only really affecting some random non-European culture or religion a la playable pagans or republics in CK2.

Last edited:

MoLAoS

Conquest of Paradise is garbage, so is Common Sense, and you want to roll back to the patch before the Common Sense patch. El Dorado is meh. You'd probably want to buy all the other MAJOR expansions. Purple Phoenix and American Dream are minor and pointless.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
WOW, the new coring costs are utterly retarded. I refuse to deal with this shit. Can anyone recommend a mod to set coring costs back to more reasonable parameters?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! >_< i just let an almost perfect game down the drain because i'm retarded.
timurids turned westernized mughal empire, completely annihilated russia, split whole china into thousand pieces so conquest of east asia is just a metter of time, allied with hre emperor austria, commonwealth is my bitch and i've never had a single coalition formed against.
then i got overconfident and reached 144% overextension.
rebels. rebels everywhere.
i even stripped all the forst in inner territories because "i'll be extremely careful and never hit overextension".
fuck.

i was grabbing 10-12 pts to core provinces, in my previous war many of those provinces weren't adding a single point in overextension so i didn't care to check. i should endure only less than 15 months, but still... dammit!
A837EA52206C46911C23C786AA9E4F2EB4479DF5

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
i was grabbing 10-12 pts to core provinces, in my previous war many of those provinces weren't adding a single point in overextension so i didn't care to check. i should endure only less than 15 months, but still... dammit!
A837EA52206C46911C23C786AA9E4F2EB4479DF5
Your save game names are too sensible, change them to something weird.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Gr8, now the game has an exact CTD date: March 6, 1528, right after I defeated France as the Papal States. I could already TASTE the diplo-vassalization of southern France with 0 AE. Yeah...

I hope Paradox dies in a fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom