Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pretty disappointing trailer... showed mostly console decline stuff

And not alot of shots with the UPDATED GRAPHICS!!! Why the quick shots?

And what about the PRECISION STRIKE SYSTEM? where is that? Why aren't you releasing more info about that?

You said it's a combat gamechanger like aimed shots in fallout..

PICTURES, VIDEO
Thanks for your feedback. The trailer was intended to showcase the game to old and new players alike. We wanted to present the console UI, the new environment visuals, and the new stuff that we are ready to show. It wasn't meant to be a "features trailer" going over each and every new detail. We wanted to give a taste of what people could expect.

The mouse/keyboard UI is not finished yet and at the time of this footage being shot, so it's not in a state we can really show; neither was the Precision Strike UI or combat radial for consoles quite polished enough either. Precision Strikes are in the game and working great; the feature isn't perfectly pretty-looking just yet. We also wanted to avoid showing the interface of any one specific platform in too much detail, since we didn't want to make it seem like we were focusing on one version of the game above others; since controllers and mouse/keyboard have different interfaces, we also thought it might be confusing to go back and forth between them or show off something HUD-related.

We'll have more details on things like Precision Strikes in future backer updates, interviews, videos, etc., where we are able to go into much more detail on them, just like we did with Perks this time.

Hi, Sea !

Thanks for the clarifications, I appreciate that. A few more questions for you, though.

- To my knowledge, the PC mouse/keyboard UI is NOT gonna change one bit for the DC version? Isn't that what Brian has been saying in the interviews? The PC UI stays exactly the same, while the console UI is brand new - made from scratch, and you can CHOOSE to get this new UI on the PC, or go with vanilla controls? Why would you need to polish the PC UI if you are just re-using it?

- You say you don't wanna create confusion in trailers and screenshots, wanting to avoid showing the interface of any one specific platform in too much detail, right? ... Well in fact, Sea, you have EXCLUSIVELY been showing console footage, videoes and screenshots for the past 5 months, correct me if I'm wrong, but when is the time for your original, loyal and MOST IMPORTANT fanbase, the PC crowd? :)

- I'm hopeful to see the new precision strike system, along with more screenshots and videoes showcasing longer shots of the new graphics overhaul you say you've done to all areas.

- Lastly, Brian mentions that you aim for a soon-to-be august/september release, yet you still have alot of polish left for instance basics like UI? That's puzzling. But okay.
They needed to add more UI elements to PC UI as well with perks, quirks and precision shots. I don't understand what is confusing you here.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Then maybe I read too much into one of Sea's other posts on their official forum, which made it seem like they weren't altering anything about the original UI, because well, it works.

I understand they need to add something like Precision shots, though. So yeah :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
13432.png

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hi, Sea !

Thanks for the clarifications, I appreciate that. A few more questions for you, though.

- To my knowledge, the PC mouse/keyboard UI is NOT gonna change one bit for the DC version? Isn't that what Brian has been saying in the interviews? The PC UI stays exactly the same, while the console UI is brand new - made from scratch, and you can CHOOSE to get this new UI on the PC, or go with vanilla controls? Why would you need to polish the PC UI if you are just re-using it?

- You say you don't wanna create confusion in trailers and screenshots, wanting to avoid showing the interface of any one specific platform in too much detail, right? ... Well in fact, Sea, you have EXCLUSIVELY been showing console footage, videoes and screenshots for the past 5 months, correct me if I'm wrong, but when is the time for your original, loyal and MOST IMPORTANT fanbase, the PC crowd? :)

- I'm hopeful to see the new precision strike system, along with more screenshots and videoes showcasing longer shots of the new graphics overhaul you say you've done to all areas.

- Lastly, Brian mentions that you aim for a soon-to-be august/september release, yet you still have alot of polish left for instance basics like UI? That's puzzling. But okay.
  1. Not quite. We have to add new stuff for all the new features so a lot of that is coming over for PC. Visually the new UI is a bit different too, so we also want to make sure the styles are fairly consistent. But we don't want to get rid of the quick bar, hotkeys, mouse-driven UI, that sort of thing for mouse/keyboard. So long story short - same style of UI for mouse/keyboard, but not identical to the old one in every way.
  2. The keyboard/mouse UI isn't ready yet, largely because of how production scheduling works. Like I said, it's not ready to show, unless you really want to see a bunch of temp stuff everywhere. All our PC players are getting the update for the low price of free, so I'm not sure how we're forgetting them? If it makes you feel better, the trailer was was shot and cut running on my PC (either in standalone builds, or in editor the console UI turned on). :P
  3. The update hinted that we still have more to share there. But while Precision Strikes are cool, it's probably the least complicated design-wise of the new features, so there's not quite as much to talk about that we haven't already said (but of course we can always go into more detail later).
  4. A lot of it is stuff like art polish and making sure everything looks and runs well and is as bug-free as possible. Functionally everything works fine, it's often those final details that come in at the end. We don't quite have a set date for the Director's Cut yet; as Brian has mentioned on Twitter, that will depend to some degree on how the certification process on consoles goes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This Torment interview also mentions Wasteland 2: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331731003670/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview

The scores for Wasteland 2 were good, but not quite perfect. What have you learned from that? What are you doing to make Numenera and even bigger success?

Saunders: It's not the scores that are most important to us, it is the reception from our backers. While of course we hope that others enjoy our games, we're making them for our backers. Through their responses to our updates and videos (and later through our Alpha Systems and Beta Tests) we can know that we're on track.

That said, and so as to not evade your question: we are proud of what we accomplished in Wasteland 2, but when that project began, much of the team was new to the technology, CRPG development, and each other. Through working together on Wasteland 2, the team gained valuable experience, which we bolstered by bringing in additional expertise in key areas. For example, George Ziets, who has worked on numerous CRPGs and has over 15 years of experience in narrative design, joined us in early 2014 as our lead area designer.

Torment was also able to maintain a small team for a longer pre-production period, making the most of our development budget. By licensing Obsidian’s technology for Pillars of Eternity, we had both that code and Wasteland 2's to take from and build upon in constructing Torment. Combined, these factors gave us a strong foundation for when the full production team came onto the project.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
would someone confirm if this thing will still be the case in the Director's Cut?

image.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're receiving this notification to inform you that your Wasteland 2 DRM-free disc copy of the game has shipped to the following address:

Thank you for your patience! We shipped the discs out from our office in Newport Beach, CA, so shipping times should be within 1 week for most backers.

:lol:

Good job, inXile, you met my deadline. Cross status: avoided, content status: attained.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And box received. Wow, that was fast. The stamp even says it was sent on Friday, and they shipped this from California. It took a almost a week for me to get my box from Obsidian. Guess Paradox should have used the USPS instead of FedEx.

I'll be starting once I finish/get bored with Dead State.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why not wait until Director's cut? It's like e few months away

I'm not downloading a massive file like that any time soon.

Plus since I have it, I might as well play the most polished version of the original. D:OS ended up better than expected. Granted, Wasteland 2's patches seem to have only had a few minor balance changes, whereas D:OS's were much more extensive.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In times like that I thank my potato internet provider for the pleasure of 120 Mbps bandwidth for $20 per month.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my opinion, you should. WL2 needs more fixing to be really enjoyable and hopefully the Director's Cut will provide it

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That still doesn't answer "Why not?" Is it against your religion or something to play the best version of a game?

I might play it eventually, but I'm not going wait any more than I already have. Plus it'll be interesting to evaluate this version.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
first time I played, I did not talk to Night Terror. He was behind a field I had no access to IT.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
first time I played, I did not talk to Night Terror. He was behind a field I had no access to IT.

In mine game he was bugged and besides I played this game as members of Wasteland Civilization Defense Squad so tagging with mutant was beyond the pale. But yes this game will all enchantments promised will be defiantly worthy of 2nd play through.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I finished GHOST BOOK ONE: The Earth Transformed and now it's time for Roguey Impressions.

Used my vacation from the Codex to read this and Book Two.

Yeah, it's not very good, and it was kind of a WTF when I realized it was a novelization of Wasteland since I'd forgotten your post. I think it did have some potential at its core though - the whole biological-vs-mechanical duality of Ghost vs Athaliah and Cochise vs Finster was kind of cool. It could have made a decent or at least passable short story with lots of editing and the removal of the telling-instead-of-showing bits (specifically, all the redundant introspection from the protagonist spelling out said duality for the readers).

I lol'ed at all the geeks on the inXile forums who liked this more than All Bad Things because it gave them Wasteland nostalgia

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom