Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

roshan

Arcane
what's with the horn? I found a clue that the Wandering Lady left the natives with a horn, but can't seem to find it.
I had that horn, you get it off some natives around Emerald Metalis Consil or in the native camp, and you use it to get into the hallowed ground dungeon (you give it to natives in exchange for the location of it, iicr)... wait... how did you get in if you didn't have the horn?
And where did you find all these grids? I only got the one that has 5 columns...

What in the world? Did you slaughter the native camp, is that how you got the horn? Or was it from a random encounter? Because I've explored/searched Emerald Metalis Consil as well as the native camp thoroughly and no horn.

roshan

Arcane
Also, what is it with the moonlight puzzle? I'm guessing those circles in front of the pedestals are pressure plates of some sort? Yet, I can't walk on them? Is this puzzle bugged?

Mortmal

Arcane
Also, what is it with the moonlight puzzle? I'm guessing those circles in front of the pedestals are pressure plates of some sort? Yet, I can't walk on them? Is this puzzle bugged?
No its not bugged and there's a book next , using the linguist skill should give you a hint. Now I give you another hint you need a spellcaster to solve it .

roshan

Arcane
No its not bugged and there's a book next , using the linguist skill should give you a hint. Now I give you another hint you need a spellcaster to solve it .

Holy shit, combat spells as solutions to puzzles? It never even crossed my mind that a game would do that.

I actually already brute forced the solution to that door, but was cool to get the XP anyway. I also brute forced another one (the U with a line sticking out from the bottom and a dot in the middle) - how would one find the solution to that legitimately?

Also the grid in the prison, the one with lots of missing symbols - is that used for anything?

The main grid in the dungeon, the one that gives you answers to two of the locked doors - when you hover on it, the mouse turns into a "leave area" icon - I'm confused as to why?

Also the special tomb - anything to do there aside from look at the tomb? I guess the revelation was the name on the tomb? If that's the only discovery there, it must be really important and I should probably note it down...

Cynic

Arcane
So bros, I've not been round for a while. I don't have a lot of time these days, and with the large amount of seemingly questionable incline having emerged violently from the soft underclothes of banality, can someone please tell me; if you had to choose between this and PoE, which would you play?

kazgar

Arcane
So bros, I've not been round for a while. I don't have a lot of time these days, and with the large amount of seemingly questionable incline having emerged violently from the soft underclothes of banality, can someone please tell me; if you had to choose between this and PoE, which would you play?

Staglands x 1000

Cynic

Arcane
Why is the RTwP in Staglands better than RTwP in PoE?

Edit: well after watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnXhT5L0vs

It seems there are some issues with the combat as is to be expected but it also seems there's a lot this game has to offer BEYOND combat when compared to PoE, does that about sum it up?

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The story, setting and classic old school design and puzzles seem to the what most people are greatly enjoying. Something PoE is certainly lacking.

roshan

Arcane
Staglands, no contest. POE kind of really sucks.

Why is the RTwP in Staglands better than RTwP in PoE?

Well, it's more than just the combat, it's more every aspect of gameplay that is miles ahead of POE, but here are some reasons the combat in SITS is better:

1. In SITS, your attributes matter a lot, and each point you invest gives you concrete benefits. It's not like POE where you can an irrelevant 3%. Makes it fun to min max.
2. No autoresurrection. All death is permadeath. Reload when you fail, this game is not a shitty screensaver.
3. Very interesting melee/ranged builds where you pick skills that "proc" every certain number of attacks. Rather than micromanaging, you focus on higher level tactical decisions.
4. Hard counters (not hard enough IMO, but they make a difference in combat, so again superior to POE)
5. Abstract, tactical movement similar to the IE games
6. A lot less clusterfucky (IE games still did it better, due to circles that couldn't overlap, but SITS is adequate and anytime better than POE in this regard)
7. No autoregeneration.
8. Better enemy design (for example harvesters that are only vulnerable when knocked down) that makes you change tactics.
9. Better encounter design (party versus party battles) but you do have the BG1 wilderness areas or caves with trash mobs, I think this is more prominent in the early game, I'm possibly mid game, and this aspect has diminished.
10. Better loot and itemization. There is not much of it (think BG1 levels of magic items strewn around the place) and it's low key, but the concepts are solid, and the effects interesting, and there's interplay with different builds. For example, there's a magical chain whip that gives an additional bonus (can knock down enemies or something) if you have a particular skill. There are also wands that boost the effects of particular spells when you cast them.
11. Better implementation of weapon proficiencies (you get better as you train with a particular weapon), so you actually specialize by specializing.
12. Classless design - so you can build a fighter/mage, for example, or an arcane archer, by investing in the right abilities, spells and attributes.
13. No shitty per encounter abilities.

So yeah, that's the basic rundown, off the top of my head.

Cynic

Arcane
Sounds pretty damn good, I'm not a huge fan of classless but I'm open to being impressed with the implementation. Other than that...yeah this seems like the one to go with :bro:

roshan

Arcane
Oh yeah and how could I forget, no engagement system that makes combat static instead of dynamic.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
7. No autoregeneration.

I've only recently started playing (on the day after the winter solstice, coincidentally), but there seems to be no restriction on casting blood cocoon between skirmishes. Doesn't that amount to much the same thing?

roshan

Arcane
7. No autoregeneration.

I've only recently started playing (on the day after the winter solstice, coincidentally), but there seems to be no restriction on casting blood cocoon between skirmishes. Doesn't that amount to much the same thing?

Yeah, and similarly the IE games had unlimited resting. However systems like IE and SITS makes for more interesting gameplay, because if you fail to heal your characters, you can find them very vulnerable in combat. In POE such a situation can never arise, thanks to the "screensaver" design philosophy. It's nice to actually have to be responsible for taking care of your own shit. Rather than the game just playing itself, that too with no lore behind it, your characters just magically heal, oh shit, let me guess, it's SEOUL POWAH! :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Similar situations can arise in PoE because at some point a character's stamina is going to be on the same level as their health so what's your point

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Aside from early in the game, that doesn't happen very often, and if you're not a retard - usually after major fatigue kicks in.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In any case freecasting heals is BSB, DOS has the same thing. Just pointless busywork. PoE has similar bullshit with the whole firearm switcharoo/reload before and after every battle

kazgar

Arcane
In any case freecasting heals is BSB, DOS had the same thing. Just pointless busywork. PoE had similar bullshit with the whole firearm switcharoo/reload

Need a post Pool of Radiance gold box style "heal" option, though probably don't have a camping menu here.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In any case freecasting heals is BSB, DOS had the same thing. Just pointless busywork. PoE had similar bullshit with the whole firearm switcharoo/reload

Need a post Pool of Radiance gold box style "heal" option, though probably don't have a camping menu here.
That feature was actually in my mind. Also it remembered which spells you memorized, with PoR you had to do that dance every time you rested

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom