Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sales of Incline.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Added new tiers:
200.000>400.000
10.000>20.000

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I am talking a look at the RPGs list in the Kickstarter Watch thread, here some findings:
FORCED
Owners: 357,208 ± 16,897
Grim Dawn
Owners: 150,054 ± 10,315
Windforge
Owners: 68,713 ± 6,981

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kz3r0 I wouldn't bother updating this until the Steam sale is over (after which we may see some interesting changes)

Perkel

Arcane
I am talking a look at the RPGs list in the Kickstarter Watch thread, here some findings:
FORCED
Owners: 357,208 ± 16,897
Grim Dawn
Owners: 150,054 ± 10,315
Windforge
Owners: 68,713 ± 6,981

Grim Dawn is not bad. But by the time it comes out, its 2D is going to be vastly outdated.

Grim Dawn is 3D game and seems to be fun diablo clone so it will sell better than most of dex incline

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Did you really expected the incline to kill all popamolers and action-gamers? :retarded:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
why the owners number of a specific game sometime is going down in regard with the time scale?

e.g.

829 k owners on 05.19.2015
810 k owners on 05.20.2015

roshan

Arcane
why the owners number of a specific game sometime is going down in regard with the time scale?

e.g.

829 k owners on 05.19.2015
810 k owners on 05.20.2015

The owners data is not accurate, just extrapolated from a random sample.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
An Indiegogo projrct struck gold:
Skullgirls
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing#/story

http://steamspy.com/app/245170
Owners: 5,793,575 ± 67,330

Skullgirls had free week or something two weeks ago, it's insanely inflated and unreliable number.

Why this really obscure game is suddenly so popular?

That's the "free weekend effect". If the game had a free weekend recently, it will see a jump in "owned" for roughly 25 million users.

Free weekends work like this:
1. Promotion starts.
2. Steam adds the game to the "owned" list for every gamer that logs in during that weekend.
3. Promotion ends.
4. Steam removes the game from "owned" list only when the user logs in next time.

So the effect of free weekend is pretty devastating for accuracy of "owners" parameter.

I think, for now, the number of total players (409,631 ± 20,906) is close to the actual owners.

In case of Men of War: Assault Squad 2, it takes two months to get back on rather reliable number.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some numbers of the Steam sale.

Darkest Dungeon
now shows 402k sales. 45k copies were sold during the sale. That's impressive!

Grim Dawn numbers seem to go up and down. Not sure wtf is going on there but the game sold approximately 40k copies.

Divinity: Original Sin sold around 50k copies.

Pillars of Eternity sold almost 60k copies. Numbers seem to fluctuate prior to the sale.

Wasteland 2 sold between 50-60k copies.

The Witcher 3 sold between 80-90k copies.

I took a look at Serpent in the Staglands but numbers fluctuate so much that SteamSpy is useless in this case (Sales are low either way.. The same goes for The Age of Decadence.

Invisible Inc.
sold around 18k which is good for the numbers sold prior to the sale.

Underrail didn't go on sail and the numbers seem to get lower by the day. Another useless example.

I always check on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and it sold around 20-25 copies which isn't bad for a 10+ year old game.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, SteamSpy wasn't helpful in this case.
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, sold almost 45k copies.
A comparison of these games is interesting. BGI has sold 169k copies more than BGII. I know it has had more time on the market, but I always thought BGII would sell a crapload of copies. Or maybe people bought the first,, played it and didn't want to bother with the second game.

Icewind Dale EE sold 24k copies during the sale. Has sold far less than previously mentioned IE games.

Fallout sold 70k+ copies. 550k+ lifetime sales
Fallout 2 sold almost 80k copies. 550k+ lifetime sales
Fallout Tactics sold 60k copies. Almost 520k lifetime sales.
Fallout 3 sold 60k copies.
Fallout 3: GOTY sold 120k copies.
Fallout: New Vegas: GOTY sold almost 225k copies.
Fallout: New Vegas sold around 20k copies. Numbers fluctuate a lot and are fairly useless.

Checked some other smaller games but the data was useless.

I can do more, but I was summoned to play DOTA2 or else my friend was going to trim his eyebrows.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some numbers of the Steam sale.

I took a look at Serpent in the Staglands but numbers fluctuate so much that SteamSpy is useless in this case (Sales are low either way.. The same goes for The Age of Decadence.

Vault Dweller gave some figures

12,273 copies on Steam, 14,997 overall.
We went from selling 5-7 copies a day to 50-120 a day.
It helps that some devs are here to disclose numbers. I do wish it sold better, even if I haven't touched the game myself and therefore don't know if it is actually good or not.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
2 wins and 1 loss later:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 15-20000
Lifetime sales: 123,187 ± 11,320

Legend of Grimrock - 45-50000
Lifetime sales: 915,064 ± 30,803 (I think this has been in bundles?)

Legend of Grimrock 2 - 45.000
Lifetime sales: 150,381 ± 12,506

Might & Magic X - Legacy - ~18.000
Lifetime sales: 160,170 ± 12,907

I looked at TES: Skyrim but it has had a free weekend and therefore, the data is not reliable.

Final Fantasy Games
III - 15-20.000
IV - 22.000
IV: AY - Almost 30.000
VII - Data was useless to me
VII- Sold around 30.000
XIII - 60-70.000
XIII-2 - ~50.000

Shadowrun Returns - 35-40.000
Lifetime sales: 837,562 ± 29,474

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - 50-55.000
Lifetime sales: 458,756 ± 21,830

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 18-20.000
Not specifically a part of the sale, but it was fun to see approximately how many pre-orders this had on Steam. For reference, the KS campaign had 31.497 backers.

Battle Brothers/Telepath Tactics/Legends of Eisenwald
- I took a look at these but the data was useless to me. Fluctuations up the wazoo.

Risen 3 sold around 15.000 copies. Risen 2 fluctuates, but I assume it sol somewhere between 15-25.000 copies.
Risen 2 has sold ~1 million copies on Steam. In comparison, Risen 3 has sold 107,143 ± 10,557 copies.
Risen numbers are fucked but it has sold over 520.000 copies on Steam.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - ~80.000
Lifetime sales: 2,006,343 ± 45,508

Dark Souls II - ~30-35.000
Lifetime sales: 1,026,286 ± 32,614

DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin - ~70.000
Lifetime sales: 245,830 ± 15,987

I don't know if any one gives a damn about these numbers, but I find it interesting to see how some games are doing. If I did anything wrong, I will blame the time of day.

Cynic

Arcane
Would be interested to see Grim Dawn added to this list

edit: seems above me someone listed it at 40K sales

So, do these numbers include original KS backers? I mean I guess it does since they redeem their keys and then they get added as owners to Steam's stats correct?

It's a bit muddled, do we assume that KS backing is part of "sales"? I guess it is since you get the game as a result, but I guess to know how much the game has made more accurately, you'd need to factor in the KS backers and the tiers at which they bought in.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I guess to know how much the game has made more accurately
We should ask Gaben, or the publishers/developers.
The best we can get is through sites as Steamspy, and I am fine with a reliable rough estimate.
Besides here all the considerations that should be made for a Kickstarter game:
Original backers and tiers with multiple keys.
Amazon and Kickstarter 's cut on the raised sum and pledges not getting through.
The price on Steam varies on geographical location, this is true for retail as well.
Retailers'cut, very rare nowadays.
Steam's discounts on the original price.
Steam thirty percent cut.
Eventual publisher's cut, usually unknown.
If there is a console porting you must add fees for that as well and apply all the considerations about retailers and publishers.

Last edited:

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah there's a lot to consider. When taking all that into consideration, I begin to wonder how the games can remain all that profitable. Let's take the example of PoE, it's currently retailing for 45 USD on Steam.

They got $3,986,929 from KS. Now, that's made up of 73,986 backers. I guess what I'm wondering is, what considered a sale on Steam, because if the 60k number is on top of the backers, then thats 60,000 * 45 = $2,700,000 (generous as it doesn't include Steam sale prices)

I think we can also consider that a hefty amount of the KS campaign money actually went into producing the game. Like I'd say most of it.

It apparently saved their company, but I wonder how well it is actually doing considering all of these factors. It's interesting to think about, that's for sure.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I think we can also consider that a hefty amount of the KS campaign money actually went into producing the game. Like I'd say most of it.
Obsidian already said that they put another million out of their own pockets in the developement of PoE.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah, I am wondering how much profit they've made. Is their model solid or is it a house of cards? I'm really curious.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah, I am wondering how much profit they've made. Is their model solid or is it a house of cards? I'm really curious.
Obsidian is a company that burns a million a month to function, probably more now that they have almost two hundred employees.
Just make a comparison with inXile, PoE and Wasteland 2 have similar sales figures but is obvious that the impact on the respective companies is quite different, in fact even a comparison with Larian is not very favorable for Obsidian, a much smaller studio that sold more than twice copies of their game than PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom