Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

pippin

Well at least they got Courtenay Taylor. And the other dude is not Troy Baker.

Nas92

Augur
And the other dude is not Troy Baker.
Still sounds like your average cool guy action hero. On the bright side I can't wait to hear the retarded one liners he will say after killing an enemy. Maybe it will even ruin a dramatic moment in the story, who knows?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Plenty of open worlds pull off no level scaling just fine, by making certain areas visitable at any time, but tough enough that it'd be unadvisable to go there at a low level.

Hell, not even just RPGs do this, taking certain sidequests or visiting the southern part of the world map in Asscreed 4 before you've upgraded your ship to a certain point all but guaranteed you'd get utterly destroyed by man of wars or the toughest frigates.

Sorta sad that a pure action game does open world without everything piss easy or levelscaling better than most open world RPGs.
I agree that I would like it to work like that.

But "open world" assumes that you can do whatever you fancy.

Or, it depends on the player. Most of them would expect that, or get mad.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
But "open world" assumes that you can do whatever you fancy.

Or, it depends on the player. Most of them would expect that, or get mad.
No it doesn't. It means it isn't a series of levels but one big map where you can go (almost) anywhere. That doesn't mean there can't be places where you'll probably need to do a lot of running or hiding. "Can easily successfully do whatever you fancy at any time in any place regardless of level" isn't part of that. The possibility of attempting to do it, sure, but that's different. You could attempt to take on the bigger ships in AC4 at any time, you were just 99% sure to get raped at low level.

And nah, nobody got butthurt when AC4 did it, that game sold a ton and got a good response.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ This. Open world doesn't mean you can 'do whatever you fancy' (such ghey wording). It means you can go most anywhere (save for some places cut off by quest progression or whatever) as soon as you start the game. It doesn't mean you will be able to survive for very long or kill the enemies in those areas. Gothic 1 and 2 are open world games but the average player (who hasn't finished it three or four times and can metagame/kite a black troll) won't be able to kill most of the enemies at level 0/1.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I was lost in the sewers for an embarrassing amount of time in Fallout 3. I really miss hub-based games with overworld maps that abstract travel and just ping me when there's something of interest.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I played F3 for a few hundred hours with a slight grimace on my face the entire time.

I like exploring, leveling up, gaining perks etc... The writing and dialogue caused the constant grimace.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
When I tried to play Fallout 3, my body literally had an adverse reaction and I started to get nauseated.
I keep telling myself after all these years that it maybe was because of the stale air, heat etc in the internet/gaming cafe but I clearly remember I was feeling just fine before that.

DAT

Educated
Probably because we didn't sperg the game for 1000+ hours.
Not many people play the actual game that extensively. Normally when someone has that many hours put into it it's probably because of waifu mods.

Or because their actual, RL, waifu sucks. And that's not meant in the good way.

YEAH BRO I KNOW HOW DAT FEELS, ALL I GET IS BLOW JOBS WHEN I WANTED THE FLOOR VACUUMED.

I HOPE SUM GOOD VACUUM CLEANER MODS COME OUT FOR THE LATEST AND GREATEST FALLOUT GAEM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom