Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sales of Incline.

Cynic

Arcane
Yeah interesting. Maybe Obsidian are not long for this world. Could be why Avellone left. Let's hope that tank MMO makes them some cash.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian already said that they put another million out of their own pockets in the developement of PoE.

They did not. Some people assumed they did, but then we learned that they made a ton of money from preorders. They invested some sum of money but not a million.

BTW Obsidian made 1-1.5 million dollars from PoE just during this Summer Sale

Last edited:

ZoddGuts

Augur
Being a semi small size company like Inxile and Larian really benefits well from these summer sales. Obsidian? not as much.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Being a semi small size company like Inxile and Larian really benefits well from these summer sales. Obsidian? not as much.
It depends. I assume they also get royalties from KOTOR II sold copies. Hopefully the same goes for Dungeon Siege III and NWN2 and South Park. I don't know how it is with Alpha Protocol. We already know they don't get anything from New Vegas sales.

It's not like they only get money from one game and it's not like there is only Steam as a digital storefront.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They don't get any royalties for anything other than NWN2 and even that may be theoretical.

The point is that PoE pays for itself, so that team can keep on going.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian already said that they put another million out of their own pockets in the developement of PoE.

They did not. Some people assumed they did, but then we learned that they made a ton of money from preorders. They invested some sum of money but not a million.

BTW Obsidian made 1-1.5 million dollars from PoE just during this Summer Sale

So they can keep their doors open until August now....

:troll:

Turok

Erudite
This help?

Before the summer sales the number was 14%, now is 13%

bhem9h.png

73,986 backers pledged $3,986,929 to help bring this project to life.

The calculation need to take account that higher tiers give more than 1 key.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Interesting that Dead State is around 50k sales, and apparently that's not enough for DoubleBear.

I have to wonder what they were expecting and if they think making hipster non-games are actually going to sell better or if they'll just be quicker to produce.

The Bootymancer

Learned
Interesting that Dead State is around 50k sales, and apparently that's not enough for DoubleBear.

I have to wonder what they were expecting and if they think making hipster non-games are actually going to sell better or if they'll just be quicker to produce.
That's very disappointing, really. Dead State wasn't great at release but is a pretty enjoyable game now.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They don't get any royalties for anything other than NWN2 and even that may be theoretical.

PoE has sold about 450K copies on Steam. Let's take out 100k for backer copies (it'll actually be less since many like me got the game on GOG). That's still 350K copies. Let's say they make $25 on each (minus Gaben's cut /sales discount). So they made around 8 to 9 million dollars conservatively, outside what they got from Kickstarter and outside other retailers like GOG.

With the smaller team working on PoE, this is enough for another year or so. Given that they will release 2 more DLCs in the next 6 months, that could tide them over until the next small RPG.

I can see this making sense from a business perspective, although this may not fit with the Codex expectations from Obsidian

Cynic

Arcane

I don't know.

1 million bucks is not much for a company the size of Obsidian. Sure they have revenue coming from other areas, but if they were going to go under before PoE, I'm skeptical that it will save the company in the long run unless they do some drastic restructure or their tank MMO & card game really take off.

I think it's safe to assume that PoE cost >= 4 million to make. I think at this point the key is understanding how much PROFITZ have they made, and that's kind of hard because of the KS backers vs non KS purchases breakdown.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They weren't "going under" before PoE they were just being forced to downsize.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I don't know.

1 million bucks is not much for a company the size of Obsidian. Sure they have revenue coming from other areas, but if they were going to go under before PoE, I'm skeptical that it will save the company in the long run unless they do some drastic restructure or their tank MMO & card game really take off.

I think it's safe to assume that PoE cost >= 4 million to make. I think at this point the key is understanding how much PROFITZ have they made, and that's kind of hard because of the KS backers vs non KS purchases breakdown.

I think you might be misunderstanding the nature of the tank MMO. It belongs to a Russian publisher, and for all we know Obsidian will never get any revenue from it no matter how well it does. (Although judging by how all out Obsidian has gone with it, stamping their name all over it, I suspect there might be some profit-sharing agreement there.)

It's obvious that PoE's profits didn't directly "save Obsidian", but the credibility it added to the company (before the Kickstarter they were on the verge of being considered incompetent chucklefucks that nobody liked and nobody wanted to do business with) seems to have made all these new publisher-funded projects possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
new publisher-funded projects.

I've been adventuring in a different plane of existence for quite some time. What projects are these?

Well, the tank MMO, helping out with another MMO, and the SECRET RPG PROJECT: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9818

mindx2: Apart from the card game with Piazo anything else in the foreseeable future?

Chris: We have Armored Warfare, helping out with the Skyforge MMO and there’s one other unannounced RPG… am I forgetting anything…?

Possibly in development since early 2014.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Wasn't the game in development since 2009? If that's the case that's five years of development expenses. Even with Kickstarter alleviating some of that, I wouldn't be surprised if 50k sales isn't a big return of investment.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Wasn't the game in development since 2009? If that's the case that's five years of development expenses. Even with Kickstarter alleviating some of that, I wouldn't be surprised if 50k sales isn't a big return of investment.
It's not like they were developing full-time. It looked straight-up vaporware until they resorted to crowdfunding

Actually Brian worked full time I think, but then again the development team was largely him and annie being helped along by ITS

Last edited:

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lords of Xulima is getting some nice retail deals here and there. It's a pretty decent hit in Germany.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Before the Kickstarter they were on the verge of being considered incompetent chucklefucks that nobody liked and nobody wanted to do business with
After kickstarter they are still being cosidered as incompetent chucklefucks that nobody likes and that nobody wants to do business with. Ergo: tank-mmo's, getting screwed out of doing the south park sequel and MCA leaving.

1+1=2 Infinitron

Archibald

Arcane
It's obvious that PoE's profits didn't directly "save Obsidian", but the credibility it added to the company (before the Kickstarter they were on the verge of being considered incompetent chucklefucks that nobody liked and nobody wanted to do business with) seems to have made all these new publisher-funded projects possible.

Is this wishful thinking or are there some actual hints at it happening?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom