Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Siege sounds like hot sex

Action role-playing games combine some of the best aspects of action games (like killing stuff) and role-playing games (like getting piles of loot and having a stronger character that gains experience levels).
:roll:

That doesn't sound like Space Siege at all.

It sounds like an interesting story mechanic, nothing to do with getting more power.

This I also dislike:

Space Siege poses an interesting question... Is losing one's own humanity a fair price to pay for saving the human race? I think so, but the question is, can you have your humanity and save it, too? I hope everyone tries!

He poses the question, then answers it himself and then says how he would want people to go about something. You're supposed to pose the question and let people go about it their own way, a developer saying how they think on that just seems like they'd want you to try to follow a certain mold.

spacemoose

Erudite
the first dung siege was literally a long tunnel with monsters in it. I'm not touching anything with the word "siege" again

sportforredneck said:
He poses the question, then answers it himself and then says how he would want people to go about something. You're supposed to pose the question and let people go about it their own way, a developer saying how they think on that just seems like they'd want you to try to follow a certain mold.

I see your point, BUT, maybe that's just his opinion. He also said that the story was not his but a conglomeration of opinion from his team. Perhaps that means there is an alternative to his suggestion?

And really, we won't know until we play it. I still say the concept has potential.

Sonic The Hedgehog said:
I still say the concept has potential.
The concept is basically being done by others as well. It's nothing that new. If what you refer to is the altering humanity part.

sportforredneck said:
The concept is basically being done by others as well. It's nothing that new. If what you refer to is the altering humanity part.

No, I'm referring to the idea of choosing whether or not you wish to alter your humanity and how that affects the story. I don't see that happening in too many games.

Sonic The Hedgehog said:
No, I'm referring to the idea of choosing whether or not you wish to alter your humanity and how that affects the story. I don't see that happening in too many games.
That's what I said, the altering humanity part. A few games are doing that recently, Too Human being one of them. Basically the exact same concept, except also with Norse mythology.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Vampire the Masquerade.

Will you use the Dark Side and Power level to the End Game? Or will you use the Dark Side and do side quest to balance out the Karma before completing the ending?

All these questions will be answered in GameFAQs

Section8

Cipher
the first dung siege was literally a long tunnel with monsters in it. I'm not touching anything with the word "siege" again

I'd probably play a game called "Anal Siege", but only if it was Japanese.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/spacesiege/news.html?sid=6175775&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

There has to be a *little* interest in this title, no?
Why? Weren't the Dungeon Siege games horrible enough?

It sounds like an interesting story mechanic, nothing to do with getting more power.
No, it's not. It sounds like a stupid "choose your own difficulty" mechanic.

And really, we won't know until we play it.
The final "argument", usually used when someone runs out of real arguments and points.

No, I'm referring to the idea of choosing whether or not you wish to alter your humanity and how that affects the story.
Affect the story? Are you new to the internet, action rpgs, and all kinda pre-release bullshit?

Vault Dweller said:
Why? Weren't the Dungeon Siege games horrible enough?

The Dungeon Siege games were pretty rancid. However, one bad game doesn't mean a future of bad games.
Vault Dweller said:
No, it's not. It sounds like a stupid "choose your own difficulty" mechanic.?

Actually it sounds alot deeper than that. It sounds like both a way to allow player control and gameplay to intersect. It sounds pretty interesting, actually. Far more interesting than Dungeon Siege ever attempted to be.

Vault Dweller said:
The final "argument", usually used when someone runs out of real arguments and points.

I was referencing about the story. We don't know if it's all bad for losing your humanity. We don't know if it's set in stone.
Vault Dweller said:
Affect the story? Are you new to the internet, action rpgs, and all kinda pre-release bullshit?

The game allows you to make decisions that will affect the outcome of the game. It's pretty simple.

Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Actually it sounds alot deeper than that. It sounds like both a way to allow player control and gameplay to intersect. It sounds pretty interesting, actually. Far more interesting than Dungeon Siege ever attempted to be.
Just remember that that's how it sounds. But that doesn't mean that's how it'll end up. Just saying.

sportforredneck said:
Just remember that that's how it sounds. But that doesn't mean that's how it'll end up. Just saying.

Good point. Oblivion promised a great deal of shit and didn't deliver a motherfucking inch.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
sportforredneck said:

Good point. Oblivion promised a great deal of shit and didn't deliver a motherfucking inch.
Does it really need to be explained, Sonic? I'm pretty sure that all the story changing stuff will be a few NPCs who will only trade/give quests to human/robot. As for the endings, well, how about KOTOR endings? You do the same shit, but based on your final "alignment" you are shown as either celebrated savior or a dark lord. Same shit, different cutscene.

The Dungeon Siege games were pretty rancid. However, one bad game doesn't mean a future of bad games.
First of all, it's 4 bad games (five if you count the PSP one). Second, the problem is that Chris doesn't think they were bad. He thinks that they were pretty fucking awesome and that people can't get enough of them. Read this newspost:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7703

Third, I'm not sure if you noticed but this game has SIEGE in its name. Gotta tell you something, no?

How so? Sure, he promises that your choice will affect gameplay, but who doesn't promise shit like that these days? Anyway, here is a the real difference:

"Chris Taylor and GPG also use the humanity meter as a way to bridge the divide between casual and hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers will be able to compete with each other by attempting to complete the game with the fewest cybernetic add-ons, while players who simply want to relax and have fun will be able to upgrade themselves fully and enjoy blasting their enemies."

Since you failed to understand it the first time, let me explain. If there was any real gameplay difference, he wouldn't have describe the "robot mode" as relaxing and enjoyable blast'em up game, and the "human mode" as a hardcore competition. Basically, you start upgrading and the game becomes easy. Fully upgraded = god mode. Fascinating stuff, eh?

The game allows you to make decisions that will affect the outcome of the game. It's pretty simple.
Do you believe everything you read on the internet? You have one objective, to kill all the aliens. Hopefully, you understand that nothing will change that. The two-three different ending cutscenes: human, robot, in the middle, are hardly enough to support the "your decision affect the game" theory.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
As for the endings, well, how about KOTOR endings? You do the same shit, but based on your final "alignment" you are shown as either celebrated savior or a dark lord. Same shit, different cutscene.
It's even worse, actually. The ending you get depends on the choice you make during the Bastila confrontation on the roof of the Rakatan temple. Your alignment doesn't affect anything. Paragons of virtue can reclaim the title of the Sith Lord, and vilest blackguards can bullshit about the Light Side and redemption. Choices you made before mean absolutely nothing.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Same thing happens in Jade Empire as well. Mass Effect will properly have something similiar.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
I see your point, BUT, maybe that's just his opinion. He also said that the story was not his but a conglomeration of opinion from his team. Perhaps that means there is an alternative to his suggestion?

And really, we won't know until we play it. I still say the concept has potential.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?!!?!!

Vault Dweller said:
Does it really need to be explained, Sonic? I'm pretty sure that all the story changing stuff will be a few NPCs who will only trade/give quests to human/robot. As for the endings, well, how about KOTOR endings? You do the same shit, but based on your final "alignment" you are shown as either celebrated savior or a dark lord. Same shit, different cutscene.

You're being pessimistic for the crowd. I'm sure it has far more to do with how the game is played then what merchants you get to talk to.
Vault Dweller said:
How so? Sure, he promises that your choice will affect gameplay, but who doesn't promise shit like that these days? Anyway, here is a the real difference:

"Chris Taylor and GPG also use the humanity meter as a way to bridge the divide between casual and hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers will be able to compete with each other by attempting to complete the game with the fewest cybernetic add-ons, while players who simply want to relax and have fun will be able to upgrade themselves fully and enjoy blasting their enemies."

Since you failed to understand it the first time, let me explain. If there was any real gameplay difference, he wouldn't have describe the "robot mode" as relaxing and enjoyable blast'em up game, and the "human mode" as a hardcore competition. Basically, you start upgrading and the game becomes easy. Fully upgraded = god mode. Fascinating stuff, eh?

So, what's your point? That if you become fully robotic the game is really easy? That doesn't mean the mechanic is fucked. That just means that a person can choose to go the easy way out, with appropriate story ramifications as a result.
Vault Dweller said:
Do you believe everything you read on the internet? You have one objective, to kill all the aliens. Hopefully, you understand that nothing will change that. The two-three different ending cutscenes: human, robot, in the middle, are hardly enough to support the "your decision affect the game" theory.

Well, actually, just because you are fighting one enemy doesn't mean you can't affect the game. I don't think it was ever claimed that it was a sandbox D&D game. Why does every RPG need to be a sandbox D&D game?

psycojester

Arbiter
So, what's your point? That if you become fully robotic the game is really easy? That doesn't mean the mechanic is fucked. That just means that a person can choose to go the easy way out, with appropriate story ramifications as a result.

Have you been asleep and missed this whole "pandering to casual gamers" clusterfuck?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I don't think he has. This game is properly pandering to his level. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom