Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Still untapped Kickstarter game revivals...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Starflight 3... or did they ever manage to do this? Years and years and years ago I think some of the original devs were working on something but it was proceeding at glacial speeds.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Honourable "outsider" mention: Elite (not an RPG, but kinda an RPG?).

That's already a thing. Unless you were purposefully mentioning it; alluding to the fact that Elite: Dangerous isn't a very good sucessor.

You caught me. I'm not oblivious to the existence of E-D, but I choose to be.

X2/X3/X3AP are far more similar in gameplay and concept to the original Elite than E-D can ever hope to be. And yet, I'd love an actual "remake" of the original, with the core gameplay kept exactly the same.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honourable "outsider" mention: Elite (not an RPG, but kinda an RPG?).

That's already a thing. Unless you were purposefully mentioning it; alluding to the fact that Elite: Dangerous isn't a very good sucessor.

You caught me. I'm not oblivious to the existence of E:D, but I choose to be.

X2/X3/X3AP are far more similar in gameplay and concept to the original Elite than E:D can ever hope to be. And yet, I'd love an actual "remake" of the original, with the core gameplay kept exactly the same.

There was a reason why I spelled out the full name.

I get it, though. I always wanted a remake of Ultima IV*, and well, yeah. Lets not speak of that remake. I'd rather just see a nice graphical uplift, with a few UI tweaks.

Why I forgot about it for this very topic is beyond me.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is still no sign of a game modelled after Wizardry IV, where you would be controlling a small horde of summoned (or recruited, like King's Bounty) monsters against hostile adventuring parties in an RPG. Also, Lords of Midnight-style first person strategies are missing entirely.

Hard to tell if they would be Kickstarter successes. Both are very old, and probably unfamiliar to most gamers.

Maschtervoz

Learned
Honestly, I'm pretty burnt out about this whole spiritual successor business. It was nice the first few times, but now I'd rather see people investing their talent into some fresh IPs. Kickstarter offers the chance to try out less used/niche settings that most publishers won't risk when they can just play it safe, and it's a shame to see such potential wasted in favor of just making a clone of that old RPG everyone liked.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth

made

Arcane
Still waiting for a remake of the cult classic Moonstone.

It would be perfect for a modern audience. All they have to do is update the gfx and controls, perhaps add some more mp/coop modes.

This one looked promising and afaik it's not dead so there is hope yet:

DraQ

Arcane
Terra Nova remake - unfortunately it's not a very popular game so that's unlikely too happen. I would fork out shekels.
TN seems to be gaining some notoriety lately.
In any case the concept seems rather compatible with current market, so I see no reason why a spiritual successor (because TN was made by gameplay and themes rather than any of its fluff) wouldn't be able to take off.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I want 2.5D FPS with wide variety of level design from narrow mazes to large open spaces with hundreds of enemies, ambushes and secrets. Huge variety of enemy design that are not bullet sponges, large number of interesting weapons that are satisfying to use. With lots of gore, crude humor, simple fast paced combat and no QTE, cutscenes or finishing moves.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Crusader for sure.

I bet Gollop wants to do Laser Squad Nemesis again at some point. Problem is the name is kinda shit and Frozen Synapse already stole the conceptual thunder.

Civil War Generals/Sid Meier's Gettsyburg/Antietam-type games.

Not really PC stuff, but I feel like Smash T.V. would do well as a reboot what with the popularity of Geometry Wars and even smaller games like Crimsonland.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I really wouldn't mind seeing the Legacy of Kain games return to the top down perspective, a less cinematically intense game like the original Blood Omen, with lots more gameplay and not hamstrung by the latest graphical bells and whistles. Hell something like a heavily modified version of the Div:OS engine'd do. A less ambitious game that doesn't need five million sales but can reboot the franchise on a more moderate scale, all they'd need to make sure of is the writing, hire somebody good like Amy Hennig or Chris Avellone.

And Simon Templeman of course, think most o others have snuffed it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want 2.5D FPS with wide variety of level design from narrow mazes to large open spaces with hundreds of enemies, ambushes and secrets. Huge variety of enemy design that are not bullet sponges, large number of interesting weapons that are satisfying to use. With lots of gore, crude humor, simple fast paced combat and no QTE, cutscenes or finishing moves.
So, another SRS Sam then?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, another SRS Sam then?

SRS Sam is not 2.5D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not exactly a lot of genres left to try to mine for buckazoids, but something along the lines of either Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase or Carmen Sandiego would be nice.

Carmen Sandieo is still being flogged around for the kids, but the educational value of it could be applied to almost any game. Meanwhile the Dr. Drago concept could be expanded to cover every major continent in the world, or even our solar system!

Perkel

Arcane
- Freespace 3 around 5-6 mln initial campaign 20-30mln after "fuckk mmo we will give you story"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom