Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pete Hines said:
Because if you start with some base assumptions like, 'Well of course we have to have this', pretty soon you're going to find out that you're not really breaking new ground, you just end up iterating, because you're going to find all these sacred pillars.
Well, the idea itself is sound. The actual problem is that after demolishing the old, everything new they build is retarded.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm fine with the way they're apparently doing power armor. I'd rather see less of it.

They are trying to 'balance' it. First they came up with stupid PA training, now this. Making PA in some sort of a vehicle is actually not a bad idea though.

Sjukob

Arcane
Well, the idea itself is sound. The actual problem is that after demolishing the old, everything new they build is retarded.
Except they didn't build anything new .

And what we are supposed to think about when we speak about Fallout's "sacred pillars" ? Choice ? Skill system ? Dialogues ? Turn based combat ? What ? I don't understand . And why are pillars have to be broken ? Destroying the old is not an equivalent for building new , you can always improve , diversify or modernise the old , it is not necessary to destroy it . I am digging too deep into the bullshit they are spilling , what they are saying is that they are simplifying the game for masses and Pete Hines is the hired anal clown who gets money for distorting the truth and making Bethseda look smarter than they are .

Drax

Arcane
Pete Hines said:
Because if you start with some base assumptions like, 'Well of course we have to have this', pretty soon you're going to find out that you're not really breaking new ground, you just end up iterating, because you're going to find all these sacred pillars.
Problem is, innovation builds new from the old, not over.
In lore and world-building the "sacred pillars" are so for a reason, it's not because they were a gift from god, but because those "pillars" are what define the starting point of that world/universe/whatever you're building. If you ignore them (or, from a hipster POV, "demolish"...) then the world you're building isn't the same anymore. You can call it the same but it's a different beast.

OFC, this doesn't have to be bad 100% of the times, but IMO it requires a high degree of talent to be able to rebuild a setting from scratch successfully.
And, yeah, Beth seems to frown upon silly fluff like "talent"...

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They are trying to 'balance' it. First they came up with stupid PA training, now this. Making PA in some sort of a vehicle is actually not a bad idea though.

They could go the way of Van Buren and simply have Power Armor require a code.
Want to activate Power Armor? You need a code for the armor's systems to work. Otherwise, it doesn't work, or you're stuck with a gyro-less, non-exoesqueleton Power Armor (AKA NCR "Power Armor", used by the NCR Heavy Troopers) that is essentially super bullet-proof plate armor. It makes a lot more sense that FNV's Heavy Troopers wore a mix of scavenged suits (with no gyros and exoesqueleton, just armor) and suits that had their gyros and exoesqueletons taken out because of lack of code, rather than simply stripping the good stuff out because "lol we can't use it because we have no training or manual and nobody can simply wing it then train others".

Yeah, considering their fanbase, their previous titles, and their policies, I'm 100% sure Beth will do it the way you just envisioned.

:negative:

Inb4 exo-power-armour-bling is available right away, no code, no nothing. Just step-in and pewpew your way through the game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
" the outer shell of the T-51b is lightweight and capable of absorbing over 2500 Joules of kinetic impact"

Capture1.png

So in other words the power armour would withstand rounds fired from an AK-47 (at close range) but that's it.
So fuck balance where is not needed :)

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe the devs didn't know the right numbers

just for laughs, the only light weapon in Fallout 2 that uses 7.62 caliber (FN FAL) ammunition deals 9-18 points of damage and the power armor has 12 of ballistic damage threshold.

I would argue that FN FAL has more bullet muzzle velocity than an AK-47 because of the longer barrel and maybe more gunpowder in the cartridge (7.62 x 51 mm).
If we would have an AK-47 in Fallout it's damage would be negated completly by the power armour's damage threshold, thus being consistent with it's descriprion of being capable of absorbing 2500 joules. :)

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe the devs didn't know the right numbers

just for laughs, the only light weapon in Fallout 2 that uses 7.62 caliber (FN FAL) ammunition deals 9-18 points of damage and the power armor has 12 of ballistic damage threshold.

I would argue that FN FAL has more bullet muzzle velocity than an AK-47

IRL, you are correct, it does. It has higher accuracy, RPM and range too.

Kalasanty11

Learned
In Fallout games (even older ones) even enemies with crap armour can withstand few shots into the head without much effect (unless crit). I wouldn't use in-game examples describing potential real life resistances. Myself, I'm totally fine with 2500 joules. Most of the Chinese troops were probably equipped in AK-47 (or whatever Fallout equivalent is called) and I guess PA was good in shrugging off shrapnels and artillery blasts. Not to mention that enhanced strength made user basically walking weapon platform.

Jozoz

Prophet
I think they tried making Light Armor / Medium Armor / Heavy Armor all have their own benefits and weaknesses.

darthaegis

Cipher
If they can't even get fucking facial animations right, would you expect them to animate a baby?

Machine

Arbiter
Todd said no moar sliders in char creation so maybe they ditched facegen and hired competent animators and it could mean rigged facial skeletons. But I wouldnt expect too much from whats basically consoletrash ported to PC.

Kalasanty11

Learned
These goofy fucking technical facts are probably the best thing about fallout 3. :lol:
This, and [INTELLIGENCE] lines.
BoS guy: "But... you do have that computer there on your wrist. Maybe you can be useful after all..."
Player [INTELLIGENCE]: "So, my Pip-Boy makes me unique, and you need my help because of that"
No shit, Sherlock. I actually meant that other computer on your wrist.

Machine

Arbiter
Todd said
Do I need to say more?

Todd gonna Todd, but its in E3 video, the char creation bit is what I'm talking about. Unless they ditch the whole thing at release I'd say at least facegen stuff is thing of the past. Ofc remains to be seen what manner of fuckup is the new system, but you can tell even from this threads title what kind of thing they are aiming for. Mass Effectian CINEMATIC EXPERIENC with "immersive" character that goes around and speaks preset dialgoue throughout the game, but hey, at least the face anims will be better than in f3 v0v.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom