Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Athelas

Arcane
BG1 (...) low-key and down to earth
giphy.gif

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Wut. The lame ass ability puzzles
I don't mean ability puzzles.
I mean hidden stuff that isn't telegraphed in any way, some of which may require particular abilities to reach.
It works not that differently from things that could only be reached via levitation in Morrowind and serves the same purpose.
Like what? Give me an example.
Care to list some?
Obviously explicit attempts at puzzles in Skyrim were cringe-worthy and the game would be better without them (I guess they would be tolerable as single shot puzzles even though they were retard friendly - one exception, I really enjoyed treasure maps, shame that they didn't lead to unique items), but I can't really remember any single example of a puzzle in BG1.
Durlaag's tower had bunches of puzzles and then there was the maze at the end of the game (yes, mazes are puzzles). Also, why are we only talking about BG1 (weakest part of its series) and comparing it to Skyrim (strongest part of its series from 13 years later) and Morrowind? That's bullshit, so I'm also going to include every puzzle from BG2 and ToB in my comparison too. Firkraag's tower, the Asylum, the Shadow Temple, the Mind Flayer City, Watchers Keep etc. Tons of puzzles that were entertaining and also required a little more though from the dev than "copy/paste".
It's 2015 and people are still trying to outsperg DraQ.

Give up.

It's futile.
ikr

It all comes down to the fact that he wants a 3d game, but BG is a 2D game.

It'd be like if I argued that a random episode of All My Children was better than Citizen Kane and came up with a million bullshit reasons, when in reality I just don't like black and white movies. :retarded:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There are, the second map I posted in my previous post has nothing but generic monsters. Yes, there is also the one joke NPC that has no relevance to anything in the game, but if you actually think that I meant "nothing but generic trash mobs" absolutely literally, it's pretty funny how you are calling other people autistic here.
No, you're just super busy shifting goal posts so you wouldn't have to admit that you were lying and posting hyperbolic shit about a game you haven't even played. So amusing that you probably spent more time at Gamebanshee and GameFAQS to dig up those screenshots and nuggets of information that you've spent playing any Infinity Engine game. Liar liar pants on fire, fucking idiot.

Yet I never called you autistic, but sure, keep on lying about what I post. Because it's so super difficult to go back few pages to see what actually has been posted. How about you just shut the fuck up finally. Every 6 months we have to go through this same song and dance when one of you edgy hipster fucks thinks they can score Kodex Kool Kredits by slamming Baldur's Gate. At least get the brainpower to attack it's actual weak points, which it has many, instead of repeating the same old bullshit lies.

When I played Baldur's Gate in 1999 it was the best looking cRPG I had ever played. :salute:
Easily. Compare it to Menzoberranzan or Wake of the Ravager. No wonder it was such an commercial success, it was pretty as a picture back then.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There are, the second map I posted in my previous post has nothing but generic monsters. Yes, there is also the one joke NPC that has no relevance to anything in the game, but if you actually think that I meant "nothing but generic trash mobs" absolutely literally, it's pretty funny how you are calling other people autistic here.
No, you're just super busy shifting goal posts so you wouldn't have to admit that you were lying and posting hyperbolic shit about a game you haven't even played. So amusing that you probably spent more time at Gamebanshee and GameFAQS to dig up those screenshots and nuggets of information that you've spent playing any Infinity Engine game. Liar liar pants on fire, fucking idiot.

Yet I never called you autistic, but sure, keep on lying about what I post. Because it's so super difficult to go back few pages to see what actually has been posted. How about you just shut the fuck up finally. Every 6 months we have to go through this same song and dance when one of you edgy hipster fucks thinks they can score Kodex Kool Kredits by slamming Baldur's Gate. At least get the brainpower to attack it's actual weak points, which it has many, instead of repeating the same old bullshit lies.

All right, to give you some peace of mind, I'll retract my statement. I was incorrect and lying by saying that BG1 has empty areas with nothing but trash mobs.

So, I'll word it again: BG1 doesn't have empty areas with nothing but trash mobs. Instead, it has mostly empty areas with mostly nothing but boring-as-fuck trash mobs, boring-as-fuck-wall-of-text-spewing NPCs and boring-as-fuck fetch quests.

Yet I never called you autistic

I never said that you called me autistic, that's why I said you were calling other people autistic. You were calling DraQ autistic in your previous post in this thread.

So amusing that you probably spent more time at Gamebanshee and GameFAQS to dig up those screenshots and nuggets of information that you've spent playing any Infinity Engine game. Liar liar pants on fire, fucking idiot.

No I didn't, BG1 has enough mostly empty boring shit so finding those screenshots is easy. You've probably spent more time whiteknighting the game here than playing it, though.

Every 6 months we have to go through this same song and dance when one of you edgy hipster fucks thinks they can score Kodex Kool Kredits by slamming Baldur's Gate.

See you again in 6 months when you can once again try to convince me that I'm a fucking idiot because I don't 'get' how interesting and brilliant the banal slogfest called BG1 is. I hope you do better next time.

How about you just shut the fuck up finally.

Maybe you should do something instead? Since I am fucking idiot, you should know that I will never realize that I'm wrong. You're wasting your time here, when you could be exploring the amazing wilderness areas of BG1 instead.

pippin

Am I missing out on skipping BG1 and start my first playthrough of BG2?

BG1 is a collection of interesting locations and encounters which are not always related to the story. In BG2, everything is more or less connected to the story and the characters. There are some challenging encounters as well, though. I'd say you're not missing on anything if you just skip BG1, since there's no real link between those games. The game does not even remember which characters you had in your party at the end of BG1, provided you didn't used the "canon" party (you-Imoen-Jaheira_Khalid-Minsc-Dynaheir).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BG1 and PoR and KotC/ToEE are probably the best low level D&D adventures you can have. So you shouldn't skip playing it.

But as pippin said, storywise you're not losing much. There are few nods to BG1 but that's about it.

Azeot

Arbiter
well, your past with Sarevok is kind of a big deal actually, and so is Gorion for Throne of Ball. Imoen might be too, if you like her.
I wouldn't recommend skipping BG1. It's part of the experience and there is nothing better than playing all 3 games with the same character, from level 1 to 30.

Delterius

Arcane

It really depends. What is notable about BG1 is that A) it is the low level phase of the campaign and B) it has a large "open ended" side quest component that is very uneven in its distribution of content. The former means that depending on what class you pick you may want to jump straight into the mid levels, such is the case of the Sorcerer (using BGT) or a few duals. The latter is the dozens of side maps that can quickly devolve into boring wastelands of content and can get boring fast, but which can be interesting once in a while and should please those who enjoy walking simulation.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you want to min-max there's no question: you should play through BG 1 and the expansion first, not just to get items to import into BG 2 (very, very few can be imported AFAIK) but mostly to get the permanent ability score upgrade books (I think you can get +1 all stats, +3 Wis or something total) as well. Not to mention that playing BG 1 helps you select your bhaalspawn abilities as they depend on your alignment when you progress chapters. Also, there's a special line of dialogue in BG2 you can only get if you play an evil elf named Drizzt and kill him in BG 1, then import.

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont think so. While BG1 has a quite a lot of story and background for your enjoyment of BG2, it's not that necessary. The gameplay is pretty different, after all.

While the imported characters has advantages of learnt spells, carried-over items, one can argue that shopping for new spells as well as looking forward to looting is a major part of the joys. As for items, BG2 has an inflation of magical items, so they are not that needed.

To illustrate my point: I abandoned BG1 several times, and the only time I complete it is in the mod BG Reloaded for NWN2. I complete BG2 at least twice, discounting restarts.

ArchAngel

Arcane
: I abandoned BG1 several times, and the only time I complete it is in the mod BG Reloaded for NWN2. I complete BG2 at least twice, discounting restarts.

NIGGER WHAT? its worse than like playing Morrowind ported to Oblivions engine:what:
More like playing D2 in Diablo 3 engine.
You might miss out on a pair of very unique pants...
And this is the most important reason (in addition to stat books). Get the pantaloons from Friendly Arms Inn and find second ones in BG2 :)

laclongquan

Arcane
Those pants be needful only if you plan to play 3 games one after another. And if you dont plan to do it, in the privacy of your room with no Codex know, you can just use the code to add it to your game :heresy:

And dont knock Baldur's Gate Reloaded until you play it~ It's very fast pace, unlike the original BG1.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Those pants be needful only if you plan to play 3 games one after another. And if you dont plan to do it, in the privacy of your room with no Codex know, you can just use the code to add it to your game :heresy:

And dont knock Baldur's Gate Reloaded until you play it~ It's very fast pace, unlike the original BG1.
I did play it. It was terribad. I got to Friendly Arms Inn and deleted that sacrilege.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom