Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mooncrest, an INCLUSIVE new action RPG from ex-Bioware devs - Cancelled

Luzur

Good Sir
This reads like someone's RPG Maker project.

Also, "so the day has finally come, (name). It's time for you to start your (whatever) trials" has got to be the most boring way to start an RPG.
To be fair it does slightly edge out starting out the story with a gathering in the local inn.

Has there ever been a start like that since Eye of the Beholder 2?

msxyz

Augur
I will fund it. I Gave money to Obsidian thinking they would deliver and POE turned out complete shit. Maybe, just maybe, outside of the harmful environment that is Bioware, these guys will deliver something half decent.
"I gave money to Obsidian and their game turned out to be shit, so now I'll give money to a less reputable company on the assumption that their game won't be!"

Manboon really isn't a learning animal.
Kickstarter is like betting. Same rules apply:

-invest your money knowing you may never get it back

-don't bet on the winning horse thinking it may be safer. In the lonr run, it pays more to pick riskier challenges

Dorateen

Arcane

Also, "so the day has finally come, (name). It's time for you to start your (whatever) trials" has got to be the most boring way to start an RPG.
To be fair it does slightly edge out starting out the story with a gathering in the local inn.

Icewind Dale has the party starting gathered at the local inn.

Luzur

Good Sir

Icewind Dale has the party starting gathered at the local inn.

hmm, yeah you are right, now that i think back.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

Renevent

Cipher
So, 400K for a AAA game with Souls inspired action combat, heavy emphasis on narrative, voice acting, cinematic cut-scenes, puzzles...basically the works...that's some pretty heavy ambition for not a lot of mula. In the KS they actually acknowledge this and say they are reducing costs and have already completed over a year of pre-production, yet they basically show nothing but some concept art and pictures of magazine articles?

Even if they manage to get funded, and whoever watched that ridiculous pitch video and thought pledging was a good idea can eat shit, but even if they do, there's a very strong chance this will absolutely be a fiasco. I actually hope it does get funded in a way just to watch what happens when it does go south lol.

Last edited:

Loriac

Arcane
063aafe04b365eb1b909de072381d093_original.jpg

The Dev team involved in this piece of shit fine game

I was going to write some play on words about inclusivity, but really, res ipsa loquitur

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ex-Bioware Developers

Pandering Kickstarter Video where two girls talk about being Old School Gamers and they want a game with a strong female character.. (While the manlings fervently take notes because women are where all the good ideas come from.. Men are just the weak willed labour force who do the grunt work)'

Yeaa I'll Fucking Pass. I don't wanna play Baldurs Anti-Gamer Gate

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
So, this is a game for two chicks?

(I think they're lesbians bros...)

getter77

Augur
Quite likely the strangest, creepiest pitch vid I've ever seen on a KS project---borders on sinister somehow like a Fargo pitch gone wrong to a degree I'd have never imagined beforehand. Clearly a fair bit of work went into it at that, so at no stage did somebody stop and think that they were veering way on out there? I guess being unnerving will make it far more memorable going forward than just shooting for nostalgia. The written assortment is competently detailed even!

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is not going to end well. Funniest part is that 4 fat middleage geeks are supposed to tell us a story about female friendship/love LOL.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a horrible, horrible pitch.
I'm even for fully inclusive stuff, fuck those anachronistic fools shouting betrayal whenever they see their oh-so-holy manhood threatened.

But that pitch... they do not even talk about the game in it!
WTF?!
What is on the page sounds like they wrote maybe 20 pages of game design and that's it. It's a nice idea, sure, but every fool and their mom have nice ideas, it's the implementation that matters.
A few concepta (nicely drawn, though) and some ideas are not even remotely enough to tell me if they are capable of anything. Having worked at BioWare means you had a job in the industry before. Well, congrats. They are not noobs. But that is not enough any more to get cash on KS.
Another big minus for slapping a big Unity logo on it. What do they want to prove with that, other than "we use what most people use, because Unity can do everything best, right?" ?
And if they use Unity, they could at least have had the decency to show some alpha footage of something. There is one thing Untiy excels at, and it is fast prototyping.

Nah, I'm not going to support any more Kickstarters where people are not capable of showing actual proof of the product. And yes, that means that they have to invest some of their own money into developing something to a state that is presentable on KS.

Oh.. and yes, the pitch is creepy as hell.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah, a shitty pitch. Wanna sport a female protagonist? Fine, then fucking do it and stop making a fuss about and try to sell it as the one selling point to the customer, because well thats just... sexist? Borderline retarded? I dont know.

I mean i can see their intention. They want to farm cheap PR done by feminist nuts who go preach the word about the pitch, because finally someon makes a game about a womanly woman, who is so womanly strong and independent, cause you know, shes a woman, and not a man at all.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
I don't give a fuck that it has 2 chicks as main characters (I'd prefer customizable, but if the story demands it, oh well...)

I do give a fuck about REAL TIME combat.

I mean, what the hell is up with that?

Blah, blah, blah oldschool NWN modules and then *WHAM* - Stamina bar?! It will play like what, Skyrim?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't give a fuck that it has 2 chicks as main characters (I'd prefer customizable, but if the story demands it, oh well...)

I do give a fuck about REAL TIME combat.

I mean, what the hell is up with that?

Blah, blah, blah oldschool NWN modules and then *WHAM* - Stamina bar?! It will play like what, Skyrim?!

Perhaps you haven't heard, Dark Souls has made it okay for oldschool RPGers to admit they like action combat now

Ninjerk

Arcane
what the FUCK was that pitch, i never had such unpleasant chills

Ramireza

Savant
Their references (very oldschool, indeed) :

e83135d971e84be60d737bd33d8c5209_original.jpg

The first 3... well ok.

But an shitty MMO, an shitty MMO Addon and fucking Skylanders?!

And yes, the pitchvideo is a joke.

Ninjerk

Arcane
No, not okay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom