Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I agree the sword is stupid.

ahem

Vibroblade.gif

Thermiclance.gif

Heavythermic.gif

fuck you :rpgcodex:

Inspectah

Savant
We don't know if anyone will bother with big changes. Long War devs decided to make their own version of Xcom and nobody else cares enough. Maybe some new group will form.
It seems that modding will be easier this time, so I guess we can at least be hopeful that some new group will step up and deliver a great mod.

Thermic lance was also stupid. And TFTD was the weakest of the series.
TftD was pretty good, considering the circumstances in which it was made

Zeriel

Arcane
Underwater dinosaurs, too. What sort of faggot can't into underwater dinosaurs?

ArchAngel

Arcane
It seems that modding will be easier this time, so I guess we can at least be hopeful that some new group will step up and deliver a great mod.
Yea but there is a chance this is the new generation that only played nuXcom and does not see anything wrong with many of its base features :D
Then you will get more of the same and naked female xcom soldier mods :D

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, someone was saying something about random spiky bits?
2909107-xcom+2_chryssalid_screenshot_01.jpg
That was me, laughing at the stupid unnecessary spikes on the Muton's gun. This Chryssalid I must say doesn't look half bad.

So now there are more Chryssalids, but they are weaker and can burrow?
That's not so bad
I kind of rolled my eyes at that. Vanilla Chryssalids were one of the most trivial and easy enemies to deal with in nuXCOM, making them even more fragile seems like the wrong direction to me.
I don't know, it sounds scary to me. In vanilla XCOM I learned to deal with them by stacking overwatch and keeping distance - a couple shots on each would take them down as they charged. Even if you can one-hit-kill them now, having 3x as many of them sounds precarious for 4-6 guys to deal with. You can only overwatch fire once a turn without a special skill. At the very least it will require some kind of shift in tactics. I'm looking forward to it.

Borelli

Arcane
Tactical game where you are a terrorist organisation has huge potential. I would love to something like X-CoM:Apocalypse mixed with Liberty Crime Squad (if you don't know what this is go check it nau).
But i have a feeling this will be modernized just like its predecessor. The new features do bring some incline so i am somewhat optimistic about this. Fuck that sword though, they should have gone with a lightsaber ripoff to fit the sci-fi theme better.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The "Dark Events" screen makes me wonder if they will pull the same three-abductions-pick-one bullshit they did with the first game.
According to the stream 'tron just posted, yes. You get to choose one.

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, they are addressing some of the criticisms, that's for sure. Specifically being able to choose your classes was a big gripe people had, and that's fixed. I kind of feel like that Dark Events screen, while you're still picking 1 thing to do, is a response to people saying the aliens felt very scripted and boring, it looks like they're trying to give it more of a Long War "they have a plan, this is what they're working on, this is what they're researching" feel.

Starwars

Arcane
I've been watching some Long War playthroughs (I have the base Enemy Unknown game but never got the expansion) and is it just me or is the enemy AI completely retarded at times? 75% of the time where the enemy has got the LPers (I've been watching two) in a real pinch, they do something completely idiotic like retreating or double-moving or whatever.

I can't remember what the AI was like in vanilla Enemy Unknown but it really jumps out at me when I watch some of these playthroughs.

whatevername

Arcane
I've been watching some Long War playthroughs (I have the base Enemy Unknown game but never got the expansion) and is it just me or is the enemy AI completely retarded at times? 75% of the time where the enemy has got the LPers (I've been watching two) in a real pinch, they do something completely idiotic like retreating or double-moving or whatever.

I can't remember what the AI was like in vanilla Enemy Unknown but it really jumps out at me when I watch some of these playthroughs.
There is no AI in Firaxis XCOM

Inspectah

Savant

The AI in both versions are absolutely stupid, although in LW the floaters would at least make use of their flying ability, instead of just jumping around randomly

ArchAngel

Arcane
This new Xcom2 info sounds very interesting. Now I am sure this game will be very superior to nuXcom vanilla. I liked how they moved scopes from soldier upgrades to weapon upgrades.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I kind of feel like that Dark Events screen, while you're still picking 1 thing to do, is a response to people saying the aliens felt very scripted and boring, it looks like they're trying to give it more of a Long War "they have a plan, this is what they're working on, this is what they're researching" feel.
Yeah, this looks nice. Even if the gameplay turns out to be essentially the same, it's cool that they're doing some buildup and letting the player anticipate the decision. It will feel way less arbitrary this way. Plus it appears that you'll be able to choose between different mission types instead of "abduction, abduction, or abduction?"

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Specifically being able to choose your classes was a big gripe people had, and that's fixed.
I don't know.

The way I understood it, if you take a rookie to a mission and he levels up, its a random promotion. If you instead set it to work out for 10 days, you can choose. A good addition to be sure, but not really fixing the gripe people actually had.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
If things will go well it will be, like the first game by firaxis that fixed shit, that made their games horrible. Yet it's Firaxis...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
If things will go well it will be, like the first game by firaxis that fixed shit, that made their games horrible. Yet it's Firaxis...
Pretty much everything we've seen so far is just a reskin of the first game (the exception being hacking and stealth I guess). I really wouldn't get my hopes up.

Zeriel

Arcane
Pretty much everything we've seen so far is just a reskin of the first game (the exception being hacking and stealth I guess). I really wouldn't get my hopes up.

Yeah, procedural levels and mechanics are just a reskin. :^)

(Incidentally, is "just a reskin" or "like a mod" the new meme about AAA games?)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I can live with that. Unlike whiny crybabies up here 2-action turns is not a deal breaker for me and my main complains about Firaxis' X-Com was proc.gen.maps, constant 3-alien stacks, teleportations and distinct linearity of weapons. Most of it is about to be changed. Should Firaxis deliver - I will enjoy the game as well as I enjoy classic X-Com.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I can live with that. Unlike whiny crybabies up here 2-action turns is not a deal breaker for me and my main complains about Firaxis' X-Com was proc.gen.maps, constant 3-alien stacks, teleportations and distinct linearity of weapons. Most of it is about to be changed. Should Firaxis deliver - I will enjoy the game as well as I enjoy classic X-Com.
I agree, most of the problems of nuXcom is being fixed. They also said in the twitch stream that the strategy level is less linear now as people didn't like that in previous game.

Only real problem left is real inventory system during combat and being able to give items from one guy to another. Each time I lost troops because the guy that was carrying medkits for that mission went down first and the rest of idiots just stood there not knowing what to do was each time a moment when I contemplated uninstalling the game. After a while I quit it and went to play Xenonauts and Open Xcom instead and only came back to play EW once before I discovered Long War. Unfortunately Long War also does not deal with this problem but it has done better on many more fronts I can almost overlook this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom