Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The Dark Events screen has piqued my curiosity.
For starters, it appears your base will be actively hunted by the Aliens, making base defenses (both the mission and the structures) a possible.

The research is also interesting. I was not expecting them to give the aliens a research system. This should result some intriguing strategic outcomes.

Also, it appears that one could make contact with other resistance groups. That must be how one acquires more cannon fodder "recruits"

EDIT : Ah I see. That is how one gains resources. Hmm, that also means there is a chance that these resource points will be targeted by the aliens.

Liking the Strategic layer so far. A bit different for Xcom, but still way more interesting than EU/EW

ArchAngel

Arcane
With any luck this may also mean multiple bases instead of a single big dumb "attack here" egg basket.
You will not have multiple bases or even one base, but you got one Avenger and that is it. They even said that if they manage to shoot you down you will get a special mission.

I like that currency in Xcom2 will have a name: Supplies. It makes more sense than whatever we had in last one. I always pretended that each 1 was actually 10 000 $ or something so it makes any sense.

Zeriel

Arcane
You will not have multiple bases or even one base, but you got one Avenger and that is it. They even said that if they manage to shoot you down you will get a special mission.

I like that currency in Xcom2 will have a name: Supplies. It makes more sense than whatever we had in last one. I always pretended that each 1 was actually 10 000 $ or something so it makes any sense.

There is an HQ, the starting country. That much was shown on the strategy map. It's separate from your spaceship base, though. Looks like you spend an action there to get Intel, as opposed to using that action to go to other countries and get income.

I think comparisons to nuXCOM's strategy layer are just going to be confusing, enough has changed that we probably won't know what to think until we play it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, I guess I can live with it. The idea of scattered cells is cooler, but OK.

"Credits" §200 :roll:
Strongly agree. "Supplies" is way better, doesn't pretend to be a concrete currency. "Resources" would be better yet, but I guess that might cause confusion with other currency types.

Inspectah

Savant
Would be cool to have an X com game with the "moon is a harsh mistress" style of guerrilla organization

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
image_xcom_2-29114-3240_0014.jpg

This says there is a base. And in fact you could see the whole image of the base in that video.

Zeriel

Arcane
If it is the Avenger, it's a really odd looking ant farm. The amount of verticality really doesn't resemble the supply UFO from the first game.

Do you remember the models for the larger UFOs? They are the size of a city block.

Mazisky

Magister
Did you see the trailer? The avenger is HUGE, like a giant building, and it makes sense to potentially incorporate that ant farm.

And btw it's confirmed that those screen are from Avenger interiors, u can even see the sky through the geoscape room windows

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ship is a base but screenshots showed ability to build\establish "outposts"
The outposts will serve as satellites from previous game, they will give you supplies on regular basis and give you information on alien movement and stuff in their area.
I bet there will be missions where you have to save your outposts from alien attack or something.

ArchAngel

Arcane
WTF, they got a monkey doing the story at firaxis? Because if I understood this right, you "The Commander" lose the war 20 years ago and then they save you at start of Xcom2 and give you the same job again only now with much less resources and less chances at success?
Is Xcom 3 going to be about losing the war in Xcom 1 and Xcom 2?!

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
WTF, they got a monkey doing the story at firaxis? Because if I understood this right, you "The Commander" lose the war 20 years ago and then they save you at start of Xcom2 and give you the same job again only now with much less resources and less chances at success?
Is Xcom 3 going to be about losing the war in Xcom 1 and Xcom 2?!

Two possibilies -

1) All the good generals are dead, leaving only the Player Commander

2) The Player Commander did a good job, but still lost because PLASMA

Retarded possibility

1) Bradford has a secret hardon for the commander.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Two possibilies -

1) All the good generals are dead, leaving only the Player Commander

2) The Player Commander did a good job, but still lost because PLASMA

Retarded possibility

1) Bradford has a secret hardon for the commander.
I think its been implied that XCOM got BETRAYUD! early on. Presumably, this is what lead to the commanders incarceration, and the failure of the project, not any incompetence.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I think its been implied that XCOM got BETRAYUD! early on. Presumably, this is what lead to the commanders incarceration, and the failure of the project, not any incompetence.

Ah so it was treason that resulted in the XCOM's defeat.
Yeah ok, that's a good reason as to why they would free the commander.

Isn't that a common theme in movies? Scary general dude is in prison, and his lackies get him out?
I can't seem to think of one though :/

ArchAngel

Arcane
That would make much more sense and I hope that is how it is explained.

Zeriel

Arcane

Kind of cool to have the Commander returning, I guess. Is he a grandpa now? Also, researching the implant they fished out of your own head as the first story goal? I like it. It's definitely got more kick than "lol we need to fiddle with magic space crystals".

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kind of cool to have the Commander returning, I guess.
On a related note, I'm not real jazzed about the return of bald head no face deep voice dude. Though it's good to hear that he will actually be a part of the story and not just some guy who's mysterious for absolutely no reason except to look cool.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But will fake german scientist return? Her saying "kowennen see mich howeren" was my favourite gaming moment of the last 15 years.

Zombra

Patron
But will fake german scientist return? Her saying "kowennen see mich howeren" was my favourite gaming moment of the last 15 years.
They talked about Dr. Vahlen in the Twitch interview; she's actually a plot point in the game. She's disappeared or something since EU and it's this mystery. Who wants to bet she got transformed into a sex snake and is now an alien patriot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom