Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shitty FPS Nostalgia Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I guess because gamers are a minority. And Call of Duty is probably popular for the same reasons Deer Hunter was popular. Fucking casuls.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There's this one too, I only played the demo and don't remember much but nobody ever talks about it so it must be shitty:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I was a fps nut once, i played soooo many & i liked most of them.
I played & finished games like the Hidden Below & Alien Breed 3d.
Going by games that i never finished:

Lifeforce - Tenka
On PC it just wasnt impressive in any way whatsoever.

Rebelmoon rising
Got it bunbled with a cpu, the enemies where so horribly boring that i had
no fun shooting them.

:Flash:

Arcane
There's this one too, I only played the demo and don't remember much but nobody ever talks about it so it must be shitty:

Wheel of Time was pretty good. The atmosphere was fantastic, the levels were impressive. Sometimes I think I should go back to it, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

Rebelmoon rising
Got it bunbled with a cpu, the enemies where so horribly boring that i had
no fun shooting them.
Rebel Moon Rising was kind of interesting because there were so high-flying plans around it. It was announced as a trilogy (Rebel Moon Revolution was also released), there were books in the Rebel Moon universe, and then it all ended in a big lawsuit.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So, I'm playing Rampage and already on level 19 (from around 25, I think). This game loses its drive very fast.
Finished both Futureshock and SkyNet. Much better and have awesomesauce moments.
Rampage is by far the worst of Bethesda's Terminator games. The original game was super original, with the open world and the weird gameplay. FS and Skynet are not bad as far as FPS go. Rampage was rushed I think to try and compete with Doom, but it looked more like Wolf3D+ and it completely lacked any originality in its level design, like many of the Wold3D-toos that came out around the same time.

I played an FPS adaptation of Tek War, those horrible sci-fi novels by William Shatner. The game is terrible, but I remember being really impressed by it at the time though because 3D games were still new to me then and it seemed like you could explore a whole city even though it was probably only an average sized level.
Tekwar used Build, and the idea that you could explore the entire city, that you could come and go as you please, seemed awesome at firs, as did the objective-based missions. But nothing was implemented properly and the game was completely unfinished. I rank it as probably the worst Build game.

Jurassic Park from 93 was mostly isometric shooter, but later part was an FPS. A very bad one, where it's better to avoid the raptor enemies than shoot them.
TBH I thought the 3D part wasn't so bad, but the 2D part that preceded was insanely unforgiving, and it was SO easy to get permanently stuck in a dead end. Horrible game overall.

Another example - Ilse of the Dead. Jungle made in a quasi-Wolf 3d engine ? Bad idead. It was bloody (duh) for it's time and the death animations were funny.
Oh god Isle of the Dead :lol: This is probably one of the worst games ever made, no hyperbole.

Shitty FPS games huh, anybody else played this "gem"?
Yep, I've even finished it. Another contender for "worst game ever made". I even tried to get DraQ to play it, but unsuccessfully, IIRC his PC saved his sanity by refusing to run it.

I'd like to add Operation Body Count and In Extremis to the list. The latter is another so bad it's unplayable game.

I've really played a lot of bad games over the years :lol:

:Flash:

Arcane
Psychotoxic
I had the demo of this game and it was a really cool and atmospheric level, with warped physics, so that stuff (shot enemies, but also parts of the level architecture) would fall up into the sky instead of downwards. It's at the beginning of this video (warning - really bad quality):

Then I got the full version, and man was this game bad. Turns out this game has two or three dream sequences that are really weird and out-of-place levels (the cell-shaded bunny level is near the end of the video), but the rest of the game is a bland warehouse corridor shooter with no redeeming qualities.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer

Nah, The Wheel of Time is a great, criminally forgotten gem. It's very hard to find a retail copy nowadays as it's not sold anywhere.

A horse of course

Psychotoxic

no redeeming qualities.

y do u lie?

Both concept art mature Angie and young punk-emo Angie were hot. I was in contact with one of the artists who created the cow-teet German soldiers for a very brief period but lost the emails :M

Dire Roach

Prophet
I remember watching this trailer which was included in a demo disc that came with an early version of the PS1:

And I thought, "holy shit, that looks like an awesome mech game! I want it now!" This experience certainly taught me not to buy games based on trailers that didn't show any gameplay.

The only positive thing I can say about it is that at least it ran at fairly good framerates, unlike other console FPSs of its time.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
The only Megadrive/Genesis FPS i know of & own was Bloodshot/Battle Frenzy, playing mostly on PC at
the time & only using console for a select few games (Rocketknight Adventures, loved that thing) made
that FPS unbearable for me.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The guys who made Carnivores had made an interesting game before, Chasm: The Rift.

At the time I thought it was fully 3D. You could hack off enemies' limbs and they would sometimes fight among themselves. There was a nice Joker-style enemy throwing discs at you. Each episode took place in a different era; I embed above one of the Egyptian ones.

The game had one cool technical aspect, back when (some) people cared about technical requirements. When action got too hot to maintain a stable FPS rate it would reduce the resolution of a part of the screen for a second or two. This worked amazingly well!

Back then I had no internet. I got lost in one level of the Egyptian era and I couldn't proceed. So I never finished it!

Uh, so why am I posting this in the 'shitty' FPS nostalgia thread? The game's not shitty. But I think it didn't sell at all...

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
The guys who made Carnivores had made an interesting game before, Chasm: The Rift.

At the time I thought it was fully 3D. You could hack off enemies' limbs and they would sometimes fight among themselves. There was a nice Joker-style enemy throwing discs at you. Each episode took place in a different era; I embed above one of the Egyptian ones.

The game had one cool technical aspect, back when (some) people cared about technical requirements. When action got too hot to maintain a stable FPS rate it would reduce the resolution of a part of the screen for a second or two. This worked amazingly well!

Back then I had no internet. I got lost in one level of the Egyptian era and I couldn't proceed. So I never finished it!

Uh, so why am I posting this in the 'shitty' FPS nostalgia thread? The game's not shitty. But I think it didn't sell at all...

Chasm was really good, interesting Arsenal, nice looking enemies & texturing.

As war as i remeber the Engine was made kinda like Wolfenstein, most corridors have the same height, there are no rooms stacked
over each other etc

otsego

Cipher
I almost forgot Chub Gam 3D. This shit gave me nightmares as a kid.

Ahh, that "Shot Gun". Classic Pie in the Sky engine game. I remember desperately wanting the game creator they started selling so I could make games justtt like that.

Same guys made that wonky 3D flight sim Corncob 3D, which I remember enjoying:

Chasm was indeed a decent shooter with strong Quake vibes, it just got lost in obscurity. It's very much worth a go for those unfamiliar with it and enjoyed the better known FPS of those days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom