Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Going Full Consoletard

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
LundB coop Dragon's Crown with me

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A guy I know owed me some money. He had recently bought a PS3 for his nephew, only to be told 'FUK U UNKUL I WANT PS4 I HATE YOU'. Now I have a pretty much untouched (he played maybe 15 minutes of Last of Us and Destiny before deciding he sucks at video games) PS3. If I hate it, looking at used console prices I can just sell it and make way more than the guy owed me, but I decided to give it a chance.

Since I'm the sort of intelligent consumer who somehow ended up with 1582 games on Steam that I will never ever play, I immediately went and bought a ton of games, some many of which are probably shit (no clue why I got the GOWs when people I trust have said they're pretty much 'baby's first action game'). However now I've slowed down and decided to get some Codex recommendations instead of buying everything that moves.

Games I already got:
Bayonetta
Demon's Souls
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Drakengard 3
Destiny
Folklore
God of War 1-3
Heavenly Sword
Ico + Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Infamous 1-2
Killzone 1-3
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 4
Nier
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Bitch
Ratchet and Clank Future 1-2
Resistance 1-3
Uncharted 1-3
Yakuza 3-4

Are there any other games on the PS3 worth owning? Games that have a PC release I'd prefer to just have the PC version of, unless for some reason it's way inferior (I have a controller), so I guess I'm focusing on console-only games. If they're multiplayer-only I have pretty much 0 interest, since online multi is something I do on PC, and gaming is a mostly solitary hobby for me as I prefer doing other stuff with friends/gf/whoever in person.
It+can+always+get+worse+he+is+kill_b6c4b9_4713058.gif

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I forgot to mention that all of the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games are on PSN, in the US at least. (if you're not in the US it's easy to fool it) If you don't have a PS2 as well, at least get Nocturne.

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
Next Persona will be on ps3 so it could be useful for that game too at least.

Morkar Left

A guy I know owed me some money. He had recently bought a PS3 for his nephew, only to be told 'FUK U UNKUL I WANT PS4 I HATE YOU'. Now I have a pretty much untouched (he played maybe 15 minutes of Last of Us and Destiny before deciding he sucks at video games) PS3. If I hate it, looking at used console prices I can just sell it and make way more than the guy owed me, but I decided to give it a chance.

Buying that PS3 for him was a test, right? If he had said he wants a pc you would have bought him the best pc you can afford. But because he wanted a PS4 I hope the brat got the beating of his life from you!

kazgar

Arcane
slight necro

Okami, I assume if you own a machine that can play okami and yet don't have okami you're missing out.

Jozoz

Prophet
Is Journey as good as everyone made it out to be a few years back?

It seems like one of those typically overhyped indie games, but I honestly don't have a clue since it was voted GOTY so many places.

Machocruz

Arcane
Is Journey as good as everyone made it out to be a few years back?
Absolutely not. It's the kind of "game" that makes me double down on my extremism, which I will do now: There is no place for this thing in a thinking, dexterous, or emotionally stable person's collection. It's desert is like a metaphor for the vast nothingness that comprises it. You will not be challenged in any way. In lieu of any challenge, I'm confident that the developers and fanboys, were you to bring that point before them, would tell you you are doing it wrong and it's about exploration. But you will explore and find nothing of note or use, so you will not be exploring but sight-seeing. The sights you will see will remind you of many a digital screensaver you may have seen for free, and the rational side of your brain will ask why you paid money for the pleasure. You will do things that some beings call "puzzles" but they will not feel like puzzles by the standards of adequately functioning humans and my pet ferret. You will occasionally run into another digital triangle being passed off as a character that you can roam the desert with, not being able to communicate in any reasonable manner, even though two people in the real world who don't speak the same language will still try to communicate verbally. You will wander with this triangle, sometimes running, sometimes floating with your scarves flowing in the breeze. This will affect you depending on your emotional age or sexual orientation.

If by "everyone" we mean the slow, the dim-witted, sluggish, clumsy, untalented, dishonest, easily manipulated for whom this game would be anything more than a shrug, then yes it is as good as they made it out to be.

But I have a better offer. I will give you money for gas so that you can drive to Chicago, Illinois, pick me up at my home, drive us to the actual deserts out in the American West, where you can do some actual exploring and sight seeing until your heart is content while consuming delicious snacks and beverages I provide, while I go on a vision quest.

Or if you are outside the U.S., you can just wire me money in the amount of the cost of the gaem and I'll buy some peyote and go on a vision quest in my living room. You'd be no worse off than if you spent it on Journey.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Thank you men for your kindness and support in these popamole times.

Vanquish.
Good game, played it already, but worth owning. Buying.

Catherine

Challenging puzzle game. Plus there's a decent story (such a miracle) and boobs.
I like challenging puzzles and decent stories. The boobs look suspiciously anime but I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

On topic, only PS recommendations I can give are Team-ICO games and Tokyo Jungle.
Tokyo Jungle seems pretty unusual. Nice boxart too. Probably buying.

As for serious recommendations:

DMC HD collection
Metal Gear Solid HD collection (The legacy collection in particular)
I've held off on these HD collections because I'm unclear on whether I'd be better off playing them or just using PCSX2 and running the originals on PC. I heard the Silent Hill HD collection was sorta shit and screwed up the game. DMC collection I'm unsure about since I already have 3 on PC and have no interest in ever playing 2 again. MGS HD collection I know very little about. Are any of them genuinely better in the HD collections than they'd be on an emulator?

There's Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the PSN store if you're into Nip Wizardries, aka cloning mechanics from 1-5. I got my moneys worth from it atleast.

Some people seem to be head over heels for Red Dead Redemption, so might give that a try. I didn't particularly like it, but I only played for a couple of hours so what do I know.
I'll probably try the demo of the Wizardry game before making a decision on it. TBH I don't like the idea of digital distribution tied to a console with a limited lifespan, so I doubt I'll buy it unless there's a physical version, western or jap import.

Red Dead I'm unsure of. I've heard some negative stuff about it, but then again I find myself liking Western stuff even if it's not so good, so I'd probably enjoy it. Will play Ecstasy of Gold on loop and ponder whether to buy.

LundB coop Dragon's Crown with me
ok

PS3 = dedicated Netflix machine
It also has a blue ray player. It's kinda neat as a STB.
Thats how I like to justify this. I got it at pretty much the same price as a normal bluray player, but it can do games too. Will probably move my actual bluray player to my other tv so that this excuse holds more water.

Buying that PS3 for him was a test, right? If he had said he wants a pc you would have bought him the best pc you can afford. But because he wanted a PS4 I hope the brat got the beating of his life from you!
I don't even have a nephew, it was the nephew of the guy who owed me 50 dorra. I'd never abuse a kid by buying him a console.

slight necro

Okami, I assume if you own a machine that can play okami and yet don't have okami you're missing out.
Is it an actual good game? I've always been suspicious that the fapping it got from games journlolists was the same sort of fapping every bullshit wannabe-artsy indie game gets. Am I wrong?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
MGS HD collection I know very little about. Are any of them genuinely better in the HD collections than they'd be on an emulator?
I've heard MGS2 runs smoothly on an emulator, but MGS3 is another story. Lack of support for sensitive button presses makes CQC very difficult to perform, which makes at least one boss fight at the end of the game much, much harder than it should be.

'Sort of screwed up' is kind of an understatement in regards to how badly they fucked up the Silent Hill HD collection. You're genuinely better off either hunting down the PC versions of Silent Hill 2 and 3 or running them on an emulator.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the PSN store if you're into Nip Wizardries, aka cloning mechanics from 1-5. I got my moneys worth from it atleast.

Some people seem to be head over heels for Red Dead Redemption, so might give that a try. I didn't particularly like it, but I only played for a couple of hours so what do I know.
I'll probably try the demo of the Wizardry game before making a decision on it. TBH I don't like the idea of digital distribution tied to a console with a limited lifespan, so I doubt I'll buy it unless there's a physical version, western or jap import.

Red Dead I'm unsure of. I've heard some negative stuff about it, but then again I find myself liking Western stuff even if it's not so good, so I'd probably enjoy it. Will play Ecstasy of Gold on loop and ponder whether to buy.

Afaik there's some kind of a physical version of LoLS in Japan. Whether it's worth to import it is another thing though. For 6 jewroes it gave good value for the money, but as far as Wizardry clones go, it's nothing special. I think there was also some DLC that unlocked new dungeon levels or something, but I couldn't be arsed with them.

slight necro

Is it an actual good game? I've always been suspicious that the fapping it got from games journlolists was the same sort of fapping every bullshit wannabe-artsy indie game gets. Am I wrong?

Designer: Hideki Kamiya
Publisher: Capcom
Developers: Ready at Dawn, HexaDrive, Clover Studio

it's gud

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
:necro:
Red Dead Redemption and Gran Turismo 6 weren't mentioned yet
Gran Turismo 6 shouldn't be mentioned

The AI slows down to let you win.
I first noticed using a 2002 Camaro SS and BRZ and beating opponents in better cars. The SS could be explained by that sweet sweet LS1 under the hood, but a stock BRZ should lose so much time in straights that it's hopeless.

I decided to do a test, so I played the same race over 3 times with the 78 Trans Am progressively adding upgrades. I started WAY under the Performance Points and with tires two grades too low.

8:00 minutes with the BMW M3GTR 0.1 seconds behind me. I passed him at the end of the last lap

Then got the Engine 1 upgrade going from about 250 to 350 HP

7:45 with the BMW M3GTR 0.2 seconds ahead of me

Then I put decent tires on.

7:30 with the BMW M3GTR 0.2 seconds behind me.

Of course in real life I don't think there's anything you could do to a 78 TA to beat an M3GTR

Then I found this...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ai-slow-down-to-let-you-win.292661/page-2

It's Oblivion with cars
The decline is infecting everything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom