Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

This is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to STEP INTO UNKNOWN SHITSTORM.
fix'd
We need to get some basic info and being savior asking questions is likely to work better than Rin in the kitchen.
"I need some basic info, so what shall I do?"
  1. Go to a city (in disguise), blend in and ask the locals?
  2. Show off as much as I can in front of a prince and ask him afterward.
:hmmm:

edit:
Dude, don't be that guy.

Regardless of whom I suspect I will still do a search, because it is what you do when important people go missing, and since the location is close the scouts will stumble upon the village.

Unless you think they are gonna be like 'oh, a prince went missing - no big deal, we have spares'.

So much for your SIKRIT BAYSE.
First, I doubt it is a secret that there are goblins in the forest.

Second, when someone goes missing, yes, you form a search party, but a day is a pretty long way away. And so long as we don't leave an obvious trail, it's unlikely they'll come all the way out there.

It's far more likely that they'd search the area, determine he's not nearby, assume the "bandits" took him, and try to follow their obvious trail rather searching everything within one day's travel - which again is a lot of freaking ground to cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
We are kidnapping the Prince in a location that is one day's walk away from our HQ. What do you think is going to happen?

Hint: a search party.

Seriously, bros. Think ahead just a little. :negative:
Yeah, I agree with Lambchop here. No one from the Bazram side will survive without our intervention, how will they pin this in us? The world doesn't even suspect our existence yet.
They are much more likely to think it's their neighbors, since these nations have an obvious history of fucking with each other any chance they get.
As for the gobbos, who cares? They're goblins.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Accept his offer to join the fight . Weirdly enough I can see the prince honoring the chivalry codex and who dose not love CODEX.
And
"
Someone will judge his gentle soul
Let the boy cry and he will know
They made you change, do you remember when you were someone else
Someone will judge her crazy soul
Let the girl fight and she will know"

Gala - Let A Boy Cry

lightbane

Arcane
Kidnapping the prince (and his adjutant, for that matter) is a retarded choice. Not only for the reason others have mentioned already, but because several factors:

1. The prince and company aren't going to stand still and let us do whatever we want to them.
2. They may know teleporting magic or even a magic artifact that signals his precise location, which would doom our entire village and ourselves to be burned to the ground. He's royalty, so it's reasonable he could have stuff like this.
3. Fumblerina is unlikely to have the patience to have a human around without attempting to harm him somehow.
4. The twins will hate us, which will endanger their lives as well (for the reasons mentioned above).

Stopping to take a picnic is not a bad choice, but there's no doubt the children will press us to do something or even attempt to run away, undoing our previous action for nothing in exchange (assuming Rin doesn't kill them first). Although we still could try to convince Rin to give a hand and kill some guys while we watch.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
A.

But only if the prince sucks one of our toes, and his adjutant sucks the other. Let this noble understand his place, which is not giving us rewards, but abasing himself to our pleasures.

Otherwise, it's not worth the effort... D.

Absinthe

Arcane
Voting E. We tell him it's not our fight, but we inform him of enemy forces' numbers and mages and that they are a false flag first coming as bandits, second as gabaldians, but in truth as whatever country their princess-consort is from. If they have any brains they will run for reinforcements.

We leave them to take care of their own problems, but we give them fair warning as well. With any luck this will drive them into war as a united front against those guys anyway.

Esquilax

Arcane
Voting E. We tell him it's not our fight, but we inform him of enemy forces' numbers and mages and that they are a false flag first coming as bandits, second as gabaldians, but in truth as whatever country their princess-consort is from. If they have any brains they will run for reinforcements.

We leave them to take care of their own problems, but we give them fair warning as well. With any luck this will drive them into war as a united front against those guys anyway.

:lol: The Codex immediately thinks of cunning plans, and then we miss out on the simplest, most obvious solution, which is just to tell this guy what we know.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

He already knows that.

Bros, read the update. He knows that.

Kidnapping the prince (and his adjutant, for that matter) is a retarded choice. Not only for the reason others have mentioned already, but because several factors:

1. The prince and company aren't going to stand still and let us do whatever we want to them.
They're a bit too busy dying right now to notice. Any ones that are near us and not on our list of kidnap victims can be petrified or gigadyned or whatever is fastest.
2. They may know teleporting magic or even a magic artifact that signals his precise location, which would doom our entire village and ourselves to be burned to the ground. He's royalty, so it's reasonable he could have stuff like this.
Tinfoil hat time. :lol: You don't know this. And the fact they don't even know petrification magic would suggest that they are not that magically advanced.

We can't go making our decisions on the fear that someone somewhere might have the magical equivalent of lojack.
3. Fumblerina is unlikely to have the patience to have a human around without attempting to harm him somehow.
He'll prbably be fine so long as we don't let her take sharp objects near him. And even if he dies, so what? At least our secret is safe.
4. The twins will hate us, which will endanger their lives as well (for the reasons mentioned above).
This is more legitimate and I have thought of this, however, it's all in how we brainwash raise them. We'll have time to help them understand why we did what we did.
Stopping to take a picnic is not a bad choice, but there's no doubt the children will press us to do something or even attempt to run away, undoing our previous action for nothing in exchange (assuming Rin doesn't kill them first). Although we still could try to convince Rin to give a hand and kill some guys while we watch.
The girl was impulsive, but both of them were scared to death by the 3 guards and were not trying to fight them. Only once they felt safe did they try to do anything. Maybe they could run, but if they do, we can cast a sleep spell. Rin isn't going to kill them either. She's a violent clutz, but she's not that bad.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Oh ffs guys, helping the prince doesn't lock us on Methuss path nor does it detract from our evilness or gives away our power level. We don't need to gigadine them into oblivion and them pledge allegiance as a Methuss knight.

We give them a hand, throwing some lighting here and there, summoning some lightning beasts and trying to win without breaking a sweat. Besides the harder the battle and the less survivors on the prince's side, the more grateful he will be, as it he will think he would have perished without our aid. If he offers any material reward we take it in order to further enhance our HQ. But most importantly we make a pal who can tell us a bit more about the current geopolitical landscape, who's who around here, without having to kidnap random people and then have Rin fail at interogating them.

Rex Feral: Again, the concern is that we will be seen by the surviving forces:
treave said:
It's going to be quite hard to round them all up or prevent them from fleeing during battle unless you try to herd them into a single spot with your wolves. Even then that tactic is not guaranteed to work. Too much distance to cover.
They are the ones who will assume we are on the prince's side. And we actually do need to do more than throw a few lightning bolts because at the moment, the prince is outnumbered 10 to 100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esquilax

Arcane
Tinfoil hat time. :lol: You don't know this. And the fact they don't even know petrification magic would suggest that they are not that magically advanced.

While I agree that lightbane was being a little paranoid (which, as we've said many times, is a good thing and should be encouraged in case Shulgi is preparing an ambush), I disagree that they're not magically advanced. I think it's more correct to say that their magic developed along different lines than the magic of the Seven Kingdoms.

One of the mages raises his staff high and shouts out, “The fires of Asshimar burn eternal; Bountless Forges of the Second Divine Finger!” As one, all of the humans’ armor and weapons begin to glow a faint, pale blue. As they consolidate their positions and retaliate against the wolves, you note that their attacks are actually hurting your summons now. Imbuing the weapons and armor of multiple targets with magic. These are new types of spells that you have never encountered.

“Robust, quill and ink.” Nodding loyally, the goblin brings out an inkwell and a quill that you had brought in his pack. You dip the quill in ink and begin to make some notes on a blank scroll. Earth magic. Mass enchantment of equipment with a single spell.

While I'm sure that this guy isn't going to teleport and he isn't secretly an archmage, I would say that the magic in this realm is a lot different than the stuff back home, rather than better or worse.

Again you put words in my mouth. I never said that. :lol:
Sorry, bro, my bad. I'll just quote you instead of paraphrasing and screwing it up:
It's going to be quite hard to round them all up or prevent them from fleeing during battle unless you try to herd them into a single spot with your wolves. Even then that tactic is not guaranteed to work. Too much distance to cover.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Rin can kill about 30, we'll down 30 with some lightning wolves and lightning bolts and that gives the prince and his knights 40 to go.

Surely they can handle those odds if each knight is 100-men strong. And if they can't all the better for a timely rescue.

Seriously we don't even have to get our wing out for this. What can the Galbadian forces report on us then? "The prince was outnumbered but had a strong mage with him who kept throwing lighting bolts at us."

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All right, finally back to the keyboard. Boy, do smartphones suck for trying to get the point across.

We are a great power that is in their backyard. Once they see what we are and what we can do, they will want to either control us or destroy us.
Yes, we are. And unlike Berzam or Galbaldy, I think they might be able to actually destroy... if not us, then our powerbase.

This is what the original point I was responding to was:
Yes, we are in Methussian territory, but they don't know that. And what they don't know won't hurt us.
What I am saying is that with every action we reveal more information about ourselves. Maintaining secrecy is becoming more and more compex and tedious task by the minute. We have even considered wiping out the the attackers, the defenders and the whole village just to keep their mouths shut. And even then if anyone stumbled across the ruins, they would wonder WTF happened here to bring such destruction.

Wiping out the party that went to the ruins might have brought someone's attention to the place. Kidnapping the prince near Erise will draw everyone's attention to this village. It's like in the first UFO game - the aliens send their retaliatory crafts not at your base (since they don't know where it is), but to the places where you intercept and shoot down their vessels. And sooner or later, it works out for them.

Staying hidden is a noble cause, but it is also the one that we are going to lose. While I appreciate not showing our hand to everyone, I also would not want it to turn it into Legend's "we can't show our techniques to anyone, ever", or "we can't let anyone know we are Zhang Jue's disciple, ever".

And if we are found, we'd better be sure that we have allies. For now, having allies among the Methussians sounds like a better idea because neither Berzam nor Galbaldy can reach us without invading their neighbour.

No one from the Bazram side will survive without our intervention, how will they pin this in us? The world doesn't even suspect our existence yet.
You probably meant Methuss. :M

Also, the world does suspect our existence or at least an existence of some powerful force in the ruins. The Ion Cannon, the mighty artefact that can alter the fate of the world - most local powers are aware of it to some degree, and all of this stuff is related to us.

I think we are bound to get involved here, no matter what we do. We have already intervened in the actions of others, causing the Barzam expedition to disappear. As for Methussians never knowing what happened here - remember that someone has lured the prince into this trap. It is possible that there are agents of Barzam infiltrating Methuss, so it is never clear which of the powers knows what about what. Since Barzam can't send any more forces here, it might be possible for them to organize another search in the ruiins from within Methuss. We have no idea what plots are currently running behind the scenes, and most of our assumtions about the current state of affairs turned out false. It does not help that the little information we are getting from torture and whatnot can also be incorrect, like we've just seen with a hundred strong force lying in ambush instead of mere 70 men we expected to find.

There is a myriad of ways for everything to go wrong or right with any of the choices, and it all depends on the consequent ones anyway. In A, we can form an alliance with Methuss, or we can strike a private agreement with the Prince and become a secret resourse only he would know of, or just take our reward and walk away, hoping that he would be too busy with his own affairs to investigate us further. In D, we can wait until he is dead and then kill everyone, I suppose? - if we just wanted to go home, we'd choose C, - and hope that no one will wonder how a nuke happened upon the place. Or we leave the villagers alive because we chose not to be too far gone with the children, and now there are rumors of a mysterious mage running around the countriside. Don't know what B would result in, since I find the wording ridiculous - "I don't really know what I want from that, but I'd do it for lulz". And C7 was described as a gamble already.

Whatever we do, I don't think we would be able to stay away from the shitstorm for long.

Probably the most safe course of action is to take the twins and get out. They will find the Prince's corpse, there will be no search, Galbaldy will be framed, and maybe nobody will have time for us in the ensuing chaos. But even that is not certain.

As for the gobbos, who cares? They're goblins.
They are felines. :argh:

Seriously, I was saying the same thing about Kyle and I got treated like I was being a butthurt psycho.
That might have more to do with you sounding like a... never mind. :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He already knows that.
Does he know that they are from Barzam? I didn't notice any indications that he does, just that he suspects them to be trained soldiers. He didn't say whose side they were on.

But that still doesn't change anything about the current situation, I suppose.

Jester

Arbiter
Is sending Rin alone to deal with this while enjoying a picnic yourself is possible to do?

And how we level up?

Esquilax

Arcane
And how we level up?

We level up through YOLO. We do enough stupid, insane shit that treave is baffled/amused by, and we will be rewarded with new abilities. If he is more amused than he is baffled, we get a level up. If however, he just can't comprehend how we're so fucking dumb, we get a DEAD END.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We level up through YOLO. We do enough stupid, insane shit that treave is baffled/amused by, and we will be rewarded with new abilities.
That's how it always worked.
All right, finally back to the keyboard. Boy, do smartphones suck for trying to get the point across.
You're telling me.
What I meant was, no one knows about us and that's how I'd like to keep it for now. And assuming your UFO analogy, the kingdom won't be sending it's search parties after us, but after the bandits who are the only visible culprits. Unless we leave any more witnesses, or the Bazramites start chasing us down, no one will know that we have been here.

As for the prince, whatever reward he has in mind for us will definitely come with strings attached. I'm not going to speculate about him being Theseus or Runikylos, it just boils down to this: if a dude helps you kill off one hundred professional soldiers, you want to keep that motherfucker on your side.

Knighthood, our own plot of land or whatever it is we want will come with that caveat.

I don't know about you, but I'm not in favor of squatting here forever. We need to move east, towards the exiled monsters.

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm going to go ahead and go with A. This isn't going to lock us on to a friendship path with all of Methuss, I don't think, both sides should be free to backstab each other which is only fair. I voted to come here thinking that we would try to trounce the other side and at best have a grateful village to go along with prisoners and so on, but it seems that we might be able to net the gratitude of a prince. Who knows how long that's good for, but however short a stint as minor nobility we might have it's much better for figuring out what's going on in the nation we've landed ourselves in and may grant us some respite.

Just because the relationship isn't necessarily stable in the long term doesn't mean that we can't milk something out of it right now to make us stronger. Given how short we are on resources and information, I think it would be foolish to swat away the friendship of the prince on the basis that he'll eventually backstab us. Any backstabbing would also give us motivation to actually do something as vengeance or something, and it makes for better reading than us just being a black hole of paranoia in the woods.

That, and I'd rather us lean towards the 'seeking wymmen' aspect of our personality than the laziness portion. The adjutant here is the only living human woman we've spied since coming into this world; we've got to set some goals, and we don't get anywhere with that if she's dead. Unless we want two frozen heads in a jar, I guess.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm going to go ahead and go with A. This isn't going to lock us on to a friendship path with all of Methuss, I don't think, both sides should be free to backstab each other which is only fair. I voted to come here thinking that we would try to trounce the other side and at best have a grateful village to go along with prisoners and so on, but it seems that we might be able to net the gratitude of a prince. Who knows how long that's good for, but however short a stint as minor nobility we might have it's much better for figuring out what's going on in the nation we've landed ourselves in and may grant us some respite.

We do a favour for the heir to the throne of Methuss, killing a raiding party of Barzamites (disguised as Galbadians) in the process. How the hell will this not lock us into a friendship path with Methuss? We've allied ourselves with royalty, for fuck's sake.

Fuck this dude's gratitude. A petty distinction and a trip to the library isn't worth limiting our future options like this. Seize the moment, take this motherfucker, and use him as bait to draw the Barzamites into a goblin ambush. There are four countries in this region, and he ain't the only game in town.

Just because the relationship isn't necessarily stable in the long term doesn't mean that we can't milk something out of it right now to make us stronger. Given how short we are on resources and information, I think it would be foolish to swat away the friendship of the prince on the basis that he'll eventually backstab us. Any backstabbing would also give us motivation to actually do something as vengeance or something, and it makes for better reading than us just being a black hole of paranoia in the woods.

That, and I'd rather us lean towards the 'seeking wymmen' aspect of our personality than the laziness portion. The adjutant here is the only living human woman we've spied since coming into this world; we've got to set some goals, and we don't get anywhere with that if she's dead. Unless we want two frozen heads in a jar, I guess.

I'm not worried he'll backstab us; nobody is. We're worried that by doing his bidding, we become aligned with his cause. Which is true. Friendship comes with a price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom