Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ Support archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sounds interesting, will check it out.

Getting a crash when casting Dispel Magic on Lareth in Rufus and Burne's tower (pre+265). Dispel Magic seems to be working otherwise, as I just used it in the Trader's ambush fight. Save and log are posted (templeplus_pre265_dispel_lareth_CTD.7z).

edit: If you use the save, the druid (Niia, in yellow) has a scroll of Dispel Magic. The conversation with Lareth hasn't happened yet, the party is in the tower dungeon (all are invisible).

I'll check it out.
Meanwhile you should get pre+269 if you're going to run it on a game that already has Craft Wand taken since I added some args to that - could otherwise cause some messups / corruption when applying to existing saves. Pre+269 adds compatibility.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Sounds interesting, will check it out.

Getting a crash when casting Dispel Magic on Lareth in Rufus and Burne's tower (pre+265). Dispel Magic seems to be working otherwise, as I just used it in the Trader's ambush fight. Save and log are posted (templeplus_pre265_dispel_lareth_CTD.7z).

edit: If you use the save, the druid (Niia, in yellow) has a scroll of Dispel Magic. The conversation with Lareth hasn't happened yet, the party is in the tower dungeon (all are invisible).

I love it when bugs can be diagnosed, fixed and tested in 10 minutes :happytrollboy:
Fixed in pre+272.

Also Craft Wand should be pretty much done. I've updated the Co8 files to remove the workaround items (a couple of the manually leveled wands - Fireball and Magic Missile - since it now automatically appends the spell slot level).

BTW what portrait pack are you using? It's kind of annoying to see all those missing portrait errors in the log when I'm running your save :P

edit: added "Crafted Caster Level: " field to the wand creation UI so you know exactly what you're getting (since some spells have a required level that may be higher than what you've set, etc.)

CraftWandSetLevel.png

CraftWandMenu.png

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
BTW what portrait pack are you using? It's kind of annoying to see all those missing portrait errors in the log when I'm running your save :P

Whoops, sorry. I had thought of that earlier. I think it's originally the IWD pack, but I've tailored it somewhat to get rid of the Co8 additions (hate those :obviously:). Next game I start with new characters, I'll revert to a vanilla .mes and just replace the uglies.

Likewise, I think I pointed to a character wearing yellow robes, which are probably the green item.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Yeah I got that, just a minor niggle. I can get the IWD pack. And come to think of it, I should probably create some infrastructure for an 'extra portraits' file, so you don't have to change the main portraits file (pretty annoying when releasing new versions and having to retrofit all portrait packs). Or even better, something that parses whatever files you dump into a folder so you don't have to fiddle with the files themselves too much.

Anyway wand crafting should be final more or less - to reduce ambiguity you now specify Crafted Caster Level (although internally it sets the "spell slot level" and derives the caster level from that - one side effect is that crafted caster levels can only be 1,3,5,7, etc.). It will also append this to the item description string.

CraftWandFinal.png

CraftWandFinal2.png

It also imposes a minimum Caster Level according to the stored spell and a maximum according to your own caster level.

Oh, and I've also made it give wands 50 charges, regardless of what's specified in the proto. As it should be!

(this has always been a sort of Co8 taboo or something like that, I guess possibly because wands were a bit OP because you'd automatically craft your own Caster Level at no extra charge, or because you could sell them just before using them up - whatever)

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Question: do you think Temple+ is stable enough for a playthrough?
I'm seeing reports that ToEE crashes on win10 in fullscreen, so for some people there might be not much choice.
I'm aware that you're still finding bugs, crashes even, but they seem to be getting a lot less frequent, and I can usually patch them in a day or two.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh, and I've also made it give wands 50 charges, regardless of what's specified in the proto. As it should be!

What are the specific PnP rules for how many charges a crafted wand should have? With wands being so powerful there should hopefully be *some* limitations on them.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Question: do you think Temple+ is stable enough for a playthrough?
I'm seeing reports that ToEE crashes on win10 in fullscreen, so for some people there might be not much choice.
I'm aware that you're still finding bugs, crashes even, but they seem to be getting a lot less frequent, and I can usually patch them in a day or two.

I would say so. I've been testing almost entirely by playing through the game in legitimate fashion, using the console only to add experience to character rebuilds (to try new feats etc). I do back up to old saves frequently, but that's typically to look at quest logic, try different outcomes and such. The only show stopper so far was a corrupted save a couple of months back, iirc.

I think it would be fine for standard play at this point... maybe branch off a "stable" build that gets updated less frequently.

A couple of wrinkles to point out...

- You presently have to force AA through the driver (which doesn't work in fake fullscreen atm) Fixed (well, kinda - AA is now on by default. The year is 2016 and I think we can afford it :P)
- I find leaving the game sit idle for any great length (i.e. hours) leads to a video memory leak which causes a black screen or eventual crash. Minimizing in windowed mode accelerates that process. Current workaround: don't do those things :D Fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Another small issue...

Lately I've noticed scrolls listed in the radial menu that don't exist in inventory... or rather lack an icon and don't take up a slot. The scrolls can still be used and disappear afterwards. I'm not certain whether this happens outside of temple+. In testing, I'm often walking around with a library of scrolls (which I wouldn't otherwise). It might happen when scribing and overflowing the inventory... not sure, need to try that deliberately.

Fixed for v1.0.21

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Another small issue...

Lately I've noticed scrolls listed in the radial menu that don't exist in inventory... or rather lack an icon and don't take up a slot. The scrolls can still be used and disappear afterwards. I'm not certain whether this happens outside of temple+. In testing, I'm often walking around with a library of scrolls (which I wouldn't otherwise). It might happen when scribing and overflowing the inventory... not sure, need to try that deliberately.

Does that mean you get access to scrolls you distinctly remember that you haven't crafted, or is it just scrolls you have crafted that don't appear in the inventory?
Does this show up in the Lareth save you uploaded?

Re. the crashes after extended idling:
Can you test to see if this happens on Emridy Meadows?

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Does that mean you get access to scrolls you distinctly remember that you haven't crafted, or is it just scrolls you have crafted that don't appear in the inventory?
Does this show up in the Lareth save you uploaded?

Yes, that's a good example. Every spellcaster in that save has more scrolls in the menu than in inventory. They're all scrolls that I scribed at some point, likely in one go. Aside from unchecked inventory overflow, I'd also suspect that spamming scribe hotkey/ok might have something to do with it. I'll try to reproduce it in a fresh game and in my vanilla installation.

It happens everywhere as far as I've noticed. I'll try EM specifically.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Yes, that's a good example. Every spellcaster in that save has more scrolls in the menu than in inventory. They're all scrolls that I scribed at some point, likely in one go. Aside from unchecked inventory overflow, I'd also suspect that spamming scribe hotkey/ok might have something to do with it. I'll try to reproduce it in a fresh game and in my vanilla installation.

Well they definitely overflow when your inventory is full (they get stored in your "invisible" inventory slots). Using build pre+275 you can "see" these items by typing game.leader.inventory_item(#), with # being over 24.

This is also present in vanilla though - scribing scrolls with your inventory full causes this (i.e. it doesn't give you any error if you try to scribe scroll with inventory scroll, or dump it on the floor for that matter).

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Yeah, I just tried it too... there's no check in vanilla for inventory space when scribing scrolls. Have to try it with other crafted items... never noticed it before.

I guess it's yet another 'useful' bug, unless you want to sell your invisible scrolls ;)

edit: Looks like all crafted items are susceptible to getting stuck in Limbo

Fixed for v1.0.21

Heinous Hat

Scholar
So wand crafting is pretty slick :)
I had just written some commentary on how the slider setting and naming conventions are unintuitive as fuck, when I realized I missed the last update :retarded:.

Looks good now, given the odd-level limitation and (I'm guessing) the necessity to still display the even-numbered slider settings.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
- I find leaving the game sit idle for any great length (i.e. hours) leads to a video memory leak which causes a black screen or eventual crash. Minimizing in windowed mode accelerates that process. Current workaround: don't do those things :D

Sure enough, I'm now having a hard time reproducing what was a steady problem early on. Keeping the watchful eye.

Did anyone else see it? I saw it for sure... :gumpyhead:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Oh I believe you, I saw it too on some map, and was surprised it didn't happen on Emridy - so that's a confirmation. Which leads me to suspect it's related to particle effects.

If you try it on the shopmap, it does happen, right?

Also, could you test if this happens in vanilla?

Thanks. It looks like some issue with loading jpegs, strangely... I'll create a build with more detailed feedback.

I'm also going to intentionally reinstate screenshots in the win10 build for the same purpose - I'll add an option in templeplus.ini to disable them however.

Meanwhile, I need your exact gfx card details. Please run the utility 'dxdiag' (instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/run-directx-diagnostic-tool) and take a screenshot of the Display tab.

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Yeah, it's definitely happened in the shop map, I think that's where I first saw it.

I don't remember vanilla having the same behavior, but then again I never gave that as much scrutiny (no debug log) and didn't beat the hell out of it quite as much. I have always forced supersampling through the driver though, which does increase vram use by a couple hundred MB. I'll give vanilla another look.

My suspicion was that it had to do directly with total vram in use and was , perhaps, an addressing limitation on the part of toee. That's just a guess though, based on an observation that lowering pooled vram usage (e.g. closing Firefox) mitigated it somewhat.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Small movie bug...

Opening Falrinth's 2nd chest (Temple Dungeon 3) and taking the Orb of Golden Death triggers Throne Elevator.bik, but it doesn't display correctly... just a white screen (with audio). Other movies and slides display fine (haven't checked the Zuggtmoy biks or later, but the earlier ones are ok).

I downloaded
TemplePlus-0.1.0-pre+275.zip and
data_r26.zip
today and unzipped them in the ToEE folder where I had already the Co8 mod and the KotB mod installed. KotB mod was the last active mod.

When I doubleclick the Templeplus icon I get an error:
"F:\Temple of Elemental Evil\TemplePlus.exe ist keine zulässige Win32-Anwendung"
which would be german for something like "TemplePlus.exe is no valid Win32-application".

I´m using Windows XP SP3.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Hi Conjurer!

I think you may be able to get it to work by setting useDirect39Ex = false in templeplus.ini, if that file was created.

But, to be honest, WinXP is not something we plan to really support, since it is by now used by a very small percentage of PC gamers, and seems to be exponentially shrinking over time - sorry.

Hi, I'm the guy from the gog forums Windows 10 thread.

The last crash I experienced was in combat when one of my clerics attempted to heal my wizard.

I don't think I played since then, so here is my log http://wikisend.com/download/404054/TemplePlus.log

Alright, I'm starting to suspect the root cause is actually a peculiar file handling glitch, since it also failed to find a certain python file (combat.py).

Please try the following build -

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/shartte/templeplus/build/0.1.0-pre+296/artifacts

And open the main to save a screenshot. This will generate a crash at first - this is intentional, since it now has more feedback on the exact cause of the crash, which should help confirm or deny my suspicion. Please post the log after that.

After that, you can again disable the screenshot crashes by setting
Code:
disableScreenshots = true
in templeplus.ini.

Haha, I know, it wasn't an easy decision. But going forward if we want to have proper high res UI, font rendering etc without paying for middleware or opening big sub-projects ourselves there's not much choice. On top of that according to steam stats XP players % went down by about 50% in the last two years, which I expect will continue on the same trend by this time next year, so it seems like a reasonable sacrifice to make. So yes, if you want a modernized ToEE you're going to have to upgrade...

So firstly, thank you all so much for your work on this project. I'm experiencing two bugs that seem potentially related to TemplePlus. The first: the throne that moves to give you access to Zuggtmoy's locked level isn't doing it. I have the golden skull, and have cleared all of the nodes, but instead of the throne moving, there are now two thrones, one in front of the other!
The other bug occurs randomly when I try to use my crafted wand of magic missiles. After I do, an enemy will "use an item" out of turn, my turn immediately ends, but the next person's turn never begins. At this point, I can move the mouse, but cannot access the menu or do anything else besides Alt-Tab out of the game and close TemplePlus manually.
I am running the 0.1.0-pre+275 and the CO8 8.1 NC on Windows 10.

Those do sound like new bugs, I'll look into them. Thanks, and welcome!

Meanwhile Pugmeister is integrating a crash dumper so we can better diagnose your issue, mushaden. It's a really perplexing situation!

mushaden

The last build uploaded (pre+302) will write a crash report (dump file) when it crashes. It will pop up a message like this:

crashoops.png

Please download this build and send the .dmp file it generates in your ToEE folder, along with the templeplus.log file.

Last edited:

Salk

Novice
Patron
I still have Windows XP SP3 as favorite operative system (I also have Windows 7 64 bit), to say the truth.

But I understand time cannot stop and there will be less and less support for it even from modders of game that were released on that platform to begin with.

RedOwl

Novice
So firstly, thank you all so much for your work on this project. I'm experiencing two bugs that seem potentially related to TemplePlus. The first: the throne that moves to give you access to Zuggtmoy's locked level isn't doing it. I have the golden skull, and have cleared all of the nodes, but instead of the throne moving, there are now two thrones, one in front of the other!
Fixed in b317

The other bug occurs randomly when I try to use my crafted wand of magic missiles. After I do, an enemy will "use an item" out of turn, my turn immediately ends, but the next person's turn never begins. At this point, I can move the mouse, but cannot access the menu or do anything else besides Alt-Tab out of the game and close TemplePlus manually.
I am running the 0.1.0-pre+275 and the CO8 8.1 NC on Windows 10.
Hopefully fixed by now (sounds like animation ID = 0 shenanigans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom