Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2015 - The Technomancer, The White March and Kingdom Come

Parsifarka

Arcane
For example, why do people here still post in Ubisoft games threads? It's as if we didn't have anything better to do... :smug:
Some need to believe in Might & Magic

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Sounds like every Spiders RPG ever. Mars: War Logs had some of the worst level design in history, with just linear corridors & copy-pasted enemies. Plus, you only had one weapon the entire game. Bound by Flame wasn't so bad, though it felt like a low-budget grimdark BioWare game, but the combat was still boring as hell. Can't believe they are trying the same shitty combat AGAIN.

I've been wondering if it's worth playing for the setting. The marketing always pulled me in, and then the impressions kept turning me off. My overall impression is that Mars WL feels unfinished, true or false?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not really, I would say that it's a castrated game, made on a shoestring budget... the prison area is ok and teases at a large world outside, but once you get out it's nothing but linear corridors, forces battles with copy-paste enemies and it all ends very quickly. What you think is a tutorial area is actually like 50% of the game. And where 90% of the budget went.

Seriously, the second part is so linear and constrained that you can't even rush past enemies... it gates you on every goddamn combat encounter, you try to use a stair or door to get out and it says "blocked for the time". That plus a lame Action-RPG combat that only has one weapon type is a recipe for boredom.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Not really, I would say that it's a castrated game, made on a shoestring budget... the prison area is ok and teases at a large world outside, but once you get out it's nothing but linear corridors, forces battles with copy-paste enemies and it all ends very quickly. What you think is a tutorial area is actually like 50% of the game. And where 90% of the budget went.

Seriously, the second part is so linear and constrained that you can't even rush past enemies... it gates you on every goddamn combat encounter, you try to use a stair or door to get out and it says "blocked for the time". That plus a lame Action-RPG combat that only has one weapon type is a recipe for boredom.

Ugh. I'm pretty easy to please as far as RPGs go, but that sounds terrible...

Paul_cz

Arcane

Ha. I played Mars for some 6 hours and it was somewhat fun, but then exactly what you describe happens and I had to stop playing out of boredom, never went back. It is a shame though, there is some potential in this studio.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The budget problems is exactly why I'm doubtful that they actually manage to deliver what they promised. It's a small development studio that tries to do something as complex as the Witcher.

Also, the presentation... why the fuck do they show a tutorial level when all they tell us is how awesome the choices and consequences are, how there are several chapters and many skills and... what we actually see is linear tutorial stuff with lots of cutscenes. Even an unfinished later stage would've been better to show than that.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
I don't get the thought processes that go into that decision... If they want to appeal to an audience that likes to see shooty shooty bang bang on bladerunner-esque corridors, then they shouldn't dare speak about talent trees and skills and such... and in fact should not even dare make this game because that crowd will never ever know it exists.

On the other hand, if they want to appeal to a more hardcore niche that gets the whole stat nerdiness... well, why the fuck do you show the noobzone level?

I think Spiders just doesn't know what the fuck they are doing. Which fits right in if all I read about their previous games is true.

HBUa7jk.jpg

This should be a holographic card so when you tilt it, this image appears:

:troll:
HnIOYDT.jpg

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Heh, he looks a bit feminine, or modern womens looks a bit (not a bit actually) masculinity (wrong word?).
image20524486_d27ee4c9ec9f6982ed1b3ed8d7485ba7.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Holy fucking newfag not knowing Guybrush Threepwood. There needs to be an entrance exam to register here.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Holy fucking newfag not knowing Guybrush Threepwood. There needs to be an entrance exam to register here.

Whoa there! In those times PC was worth like a car in Russia, so we actually got one for three, because father one of the three was a small crimeboss, and played mostly X-Com and HM&M.
We played Monkey Island, also don't remember which part that was.

Last edited:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Big thanks to the Watch for sending tens of thousands of extra visitors our way.

I think it is just me...

The Codex has an image problem at the Watch - everyone (besides me) think you are trolls and this site is a cesspool.
And most of them haven't seen GD yet. So you have to work on the prestigious magazine image a bit. Maybe the business cards and PoE review #9 are a good start...

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I think it is just me...

The Codex has an image problem at the Watch - everyone (besides me) think you are trolls and this site is a cesspool.
And most of them haven't seen GD yet. So you have to work on the prestigious magazine image a bit. Maybe the business cards and PoE review #9 are a good start...

Well, Codex is much bigger than RPGWatch, so I guess a reputation for trolling is a net benefit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom